Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Yep, after I finished the first level I nope'd out of there immediately and never touched it again. Unnecessary fishing minigames, the bane of all JRPGs :argh:

On the bright side though, Puyo Puyo Estelle is by far the best sprite in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

are you ready

for pictures

of fish

But...but I wanted pictures of Spiderman. :(

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
For some reason on both my playthroughs, I cleared this entire door in one go and wondered why people raged on it so much. Maybe I was just really lucky.

Aside from that, this is probably the first time Argem is mentioned, which is the name for Mirage septium. (Nohval and Goldia were mentioned in SC)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

For some reason on both my playthroughs, I cleared this entire door in one go and wondered why people raged on it so much. Maybe I was just really lucky.

Aside from that, this is probably the first time Argem is mentioned, which is the name for Mirage septium. (Nohval and Goldia were mentioned in SC)

There is definitely a huge luck factor in the minigame, especially in the last round. Sometimes he just pulls out one 3.5m fish after another....

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I like to imagine while Estelle is having her sewer fishing duel, Joshua's off fighting the wanted monster by himself, wondering where in the hell she is.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The thing is, while it is almost all luck based, that makes it easier as it goes on. I beat the last guy by at least 1000 points on my playthrough, first try. By the same token, the first guy took me 4 tries.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I've never had trouble with this door beyond the very first time I played this game back in like 2011 either. Maybe it's because fishing for Rainbow Trouts in SC for sepith kind of conditioned me to the timing. As long as you don't miss your reels and have a general guideline on what bait to use, the AI is usually horrible enough that even with the luck factor the allowance is really huge, even with a nigh-guaranteed big catch at the end. Which is more than what can be said for the other Sun Door.

RegalStar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 16, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I got to this door, played through the first round, said gently caress that, and cheated my fishing points nice and high to just blow through the next two episodes.

I enjoy a fishing game on occasion, but not when it's this drat long. :v:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Apparantly, whenever Estelle's struggling to reel in her catch, you're supposed to continue tapping the accept button to prevent the fish from escaping. At no point does the game tell you that.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Erpy posted:

Apparantly, whenever Estelle's struggling to reel in her catch, you're supposed to continue tapping the accept button to prevent the fish from escaping. At no point does the game tell you that.

I tried it and although I can't say for sure, it doesn't seem to work.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Might be coincidence, but ever since I started tapping the button while reeling the heavier ones in, I haven't gotten a single case of a fish getting away from me while that frequently happened before.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I tried constantly tapping after about the 80th round of goddamn fishing and there was no noticeable difference? Maybe it has a small effect.

Did you guys end up using the fisherman's emblem a lot? It didn't seem useful to me but I constantly equipped it anyways because it took so long to get.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like to imagine that the prize effect is Estelle hooking a fishing line onto her staff and beating people with it from a distance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

Did you guys end up using the fisherman's emblem a lot? It didn't seem useful to me but I constantly equipped it anyways because it took so long to get.

It's nice for self-destruct monsters, but the MOV penalty makes it it a net loss in melee attack range and there are tons of much better accessories.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 16, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like it because it helps turn Estelle into an old school RPG character who can hurt enemies from 50 feet away

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's nice if you have footwear with high MOV value of which there are several.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Congratulations Estelle, you are now a certifiable Breath of Fire protagonist.

Go fish up your end-game armor now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

next ish: the secret origin of Supreme Fisher Estelle

stay tuned readers

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Poor Joshua never stood a chance :3:
No gloomy faces allowed indeed.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
E: Estelle's the best

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 16, 2017

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Say it with me, one more time:

Estelle's the best.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If Estelle was in every other RPG she'd shorten the games by half because she is not having any of your introspective bullshit.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Along the same line of thinking, how long would the Trails games be without Estelle to force bugs on the other protagonists in an attempt to hasten their rear-hillbilly process?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

"Thr Whereabouts of Light" actually inspired me to get a harmonica so I could learn how to play it.

... I'm not very good at it. :saddowns:

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Weissman showing up every couple weeks pretending to be a magician, honestly just reading those lines to a dark background and no accompanying visuals is actually loving terrifying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Really Pants posted:

...what kinds of bugs have webbed feet? Does Estelle count ducks as bugs?

Not ducks, but the word 虫, that's usually translated as bug, actually includes all small animals that arent mammals, birds or fish.
So both insects and reptiles are 'bugs' in japanese.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I swear, this series has a way of making me misty eyed. I really love that the game has ways of showing us just how far our cast has come from the first time we've met them, or in Joshua's case, before we even met him really. Though he still had a far way to go, he was definitely pretty far from his paranoid loner status by the time we got him in FC.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Anyone who played through this door and didn't immediately pick the "...let's check for sneakers"-option deserved to have an instant game-over right there on the spot.

quote:

Can you name every character in this scene?

Yup.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah, the end of that door still gets me misty eyed too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erpy posted:

Anyone who played through this door and didn't immediately pick the "...let's check for sneakers"-option deserved to have an instant game-over right there on the spot.
It's the only correct choice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If I know my Crossbell games right, this is how those two end up helping out Lloyd, Elie, Tio and Randy in Zero, correct? Doing Bracer work abroad, as well as... something else that's an Ao spoiler?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite part of this door is probably when Estelle reaches the clock tower and talks with the Mayor. It's a pretty powerful character moment for Estelle given how brief and incidental it is. The contrast between how bright and energetic her interactions with everyone else have been and the calm, almost detached manner she addresses the Mayor says everything you need to know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

If I know my Crossbell games right, this is how those two end up helping out Lloyd, Elie, Tio and Randy in Zero, correct? Doing Bracer work abroad, as well as... something else that's an Ao spoiler?

Noooot quite. They actually go to Erebonia first, which is covered in a manga called Ring of Judgment.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

It is adorable that Trails quietly has dudes take their wives' last names. You can pretend that you're honoring Cassius, Josh, but we know how it is.

(Speaking of ladies whose guys took their name, I just binged this thread, and the fact that you guys hate Success Dancin', Mad Sciencin', Wile Coyotin' Erika Russell but love friggin' Lechter means that you have brain diseases. Is he, like, really good in the later games? Maybe by being completely different and not the worst?)

Explosions fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 17, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
He's kinda low-key in the Cold Steel games. Haven't played the Crossbell games, where he also appears, so I can't judge that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Explosions posted:

(Speaking of ladies whose guys took their name, I just binged this thread, and the fact that you guys hate Success Dancin', Mad Sciencin', Wile Coyotin' Erika Russell but love friggin' Lechter means that you have brain diseases. Is he, like, really good in the later games? Maybe by being completely different and not the worst?)

Um, excuse me, I think Erika is great and Lechter is really annoying.

Lechter's fine in Cold Steel, but that's because he's barely there. Seriously, he's has about 5 scenes between the two games.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I had major problems with Erika until I realized the entire continent wants to pair Tita with Agate. This includes Tita's father and grandfather. At which point I started to sympathize with Erika more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

I had major problems with Erika until I realized the entire continent wants to pair Tita with Agate. This includes Tita's father and grandfather. At which point I started to sympathize with Erika more.

Erika would have been a lot better if she could have fought weirdness with weirdness and vented her spleen on some of those people, instead of the guy who literally took a bullet for her precious sugar donut.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
A little :3: detail in that airport scene is that even though it's been roughly half a year since the mist trouble in Rolent, Kitty's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Was Trails the 3rd rushed in development at all? I'm surprised Falcom released it without noticing such a massive bug.

• Locked thread