Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Every time I rewatch Alien I re-remember how much of the movie is actually spent on that cat. Hard to imagine people who hate Prometheus because the characters don't carry out the optimal space mission manage to make it through the original film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Alien (1979): A cat avoids trouble aboard a spaceship.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Remember when Harry Dean Stanton wandered off and got killed while failing to search for a cat, even though he had access to a motion detector that's specifically designed to track cat-sized things?

I remember that.

He wanted to kill the cat, and therefor was a bad character who should not have been written.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To be fair he didn't fail to find the cat. He totally found that cat.

He just found the cat's new buddy at the same time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best anecdote from the Alien Quadrilogy documentaries is about one of the production people watching it in a theater when it was just coming out, and during the climax apparently some really tense guy shouted "Leave the loving cat!"

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Enjoy the direction the Alien prequels are taking on themes of life, evolution, death, and creation now while you can; because once Ridley Scott dies, you can bet 20th Century Fox is going to push out Xenomorphs vs Space Marines every few years for the mindless masses and fanboys out there.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Not if they get the guy who did Predators.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just finished watching Alien (directors cut) and I never noticed the alien smacking Jonesy's cage out of the way after it looks him over. I always thought it just looked him over and then it cuts to Ripley, but right before the cut it smacks the poo poo out of that cage.

Also just read this quote from Ridley that's just absolutely wonderful. I love that he was excited to gross out Giger.

quote:

"At one stage, I wanted to have a kind of subtle movement in the creature's brain, so I thought maybe we could fill a pocket in the cranium with white maggots and let them crawl around in there. Even Giger went 'Eeyuk!' at the one. But I decided to try it, so I had these huge tins of maggots brought in. We couldn't make it work, though, because the heat from the lights would put the bloody things to sleep and they'd just lie there like spaghetti. We tried using Spanish fish -- which look kind of like wireworms -- but they went to sleep, too. So finally I had to give up..."

-- Ridley Scott, Cinefex 1 -- © 1980 Don Shay

e: why hasn't there been an Art of Ridley Scott book released? His storyboards are loving sick.

This guys Instagram account has a good collection of them.

http://instagram.com/moonwaver

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 16, 2017

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
One of the channels was having an Alien marathon, including the Directors cut. I had forgotten how sloppy the cut was from Ash's dummy-head to Ian Holm's head-through a hole. One second it's clearly a dummy head, there's a couple frames of black, then it's the actor. Very jarring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ridley's impression of that is hilarious, I don't know how to find it other than on the making of. :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SolarFire2 posted:

One of the channels was having an Alien marathon, including the Directors cut. I had forgotten how sloppy the cut was from Ash's dummy-head to Ian Holm's head-through a hole. One second it's clearly a dummy head, there's a couple frames of black, then it's the actor. Very jarring.

The best part is the reason it's so jarring is because they couldn't go back and shoot it and make it look better, they loving burned the only copy of it they had.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

K. Waste posted:

Not if they get the guy who did Predators.

Why is that?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

RedSpider posted:

Why is that?

Because the realm of good filmmaking isn't limited to Ridley Scott and Predators is really good?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I just saw Gone Baby Gone for the first time so I'll say that good filmmaking is limited to that movie.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

K. Waste posted:

Because the realm of good filmmaking isn't limited to Ridley Scott

Nice strawman.

K. Waste posted:

and Predators is really good?

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RedSpider posted:

Nice strawman.

lol

The gamut of the internet all in one post. Nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators is pretty good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

Why does a character being unlucky "feel cheap"?

It's predictable and boring, save for half second shot of the helmet melting onto the dude's face which was pretty neat (but then disappears) but then he comes back as a mongoloid super zombie to thin out the cast with some lame kills.

Remember when Harry Dean Stanton wandered off and got killed while failing to search for a cat, even though he had access to a motion detector that's specifically designed to track cat-sized things?

I remember that.

That part when he's told by his superiors to gently caress off and find the cat because he didn't grab it the first time and when they took the only scanner they had to continue looking for the Alien, hence the whole point of the scanners? When they use the scene to slowly build up the tension of the big reveal of the Alien? I remember that. In Prometheus we get a scene that shows us what the opening scene shows us, black goop reforms living DNA into new stuff and we're presented with... a white snake that bleeds blood and can instantly reform itself (an ability never revisited again) and payoff from that is a space zombie. Ho hum.

I love that everyone is getting defensive about someone criticizing a script written by two dude's who haven't written a good script like this is some bizarro, contrarian opinion that isn't already all over the internet. I like Prometheus and enjoy watching it, plot twist, but that's mostly due to the visuals.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Today I watched Alien: Covenant and it was aggressively mediocre, despite some really cool and interesting design.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I love that everyone is getting defensive about someone criticizing a script written by two dude's who haven't written a good script like this is some bizarro, contrarian opinion that isn't already all over the internet.

Lindelof wrote plenty of good scripts for The Leftovers.

Obviously there would be less point to defending a film that was already widely accepted as good.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

That part when he's told by his superiors to gently caress off and find the cat because he didn't grab it the first time and when they took the only scanner they had to continue looking for the Alien.

That's really dumb of them

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's predictable and boring, save for half second shot of the helmet melting onto the dude's face which was pretty neat (but then disappears) but then he comes back as a mongoloid super zombie to thin out the cast with some lame kills.

He's introduced as an expert, people bitch about how unlikely an expert geologist getting lost is, yet somehow it's also completely predictable that he does get lost. How's that cake you're eating?

quote:

That part when he's told by his superiors to gently caress off and find the cat because he didn't grab it the first time and when they took the only scanner they had to continue looking for the Alien, hence the whole point of the scanners? When they use the scene to slowly build up the tension of the big reveal of the Alien?

In the script they don't split up, which would be the smart thing to do.

But, y'know, Ridley changed it because tactical realism doesn't mean poo poo when it comes to artistically constructing a scene.

Just like Pr*metheus.

But you enjoy your cake.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 17, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's definitely false. If it was predictable and boring then you wouldn't get this endless furor and confusion over the mapmaker getting lost. People aren't like "oh of course the dramatically ironic thing happens :rolleyes:" they're like "zuhh?? bwaahhh???? but the script SAID-"

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Ferrinus posted:

That's definitely false. If it was predictable and boring then you wouldn't get this endless furor and confusion over the mapmaker getting lost. People aren't like "oh of course the dramatically ironic thing happens :rolleyes:" they're like "zuhh?? bwaahhh???? but the script SAID-"

I will say that I too was disappointed that the melted-in helmet didn't figure more in Fifield's Final Form design, just based on how amazingly horrible the melting shot looked.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shanty posted:

I will say that I too was disappointed that the melted-in helmet didn't figure more in Fifield's Final Form design, just based on how amazingly horrible the melting shot looked.
Yeah, that seems like a missed opportunity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

That part when he's told by his superiors to gently caress off and find the cat because he didn't grab it the first time and when they took the only scanner they had to continue looking for the Alien, hence the whole point of the scanners? When they use the scene to slowly build up the tension of the big reveal of the Alien? I remember that. In Prometheus we get a scene that shows us what the opening scene shows us, black goop reforms living DNA into new stuff and we're presented with... a white snake that bleeds blood and can instantly reform itself (an ability never revisited again) and payoff from that is a space zombie. Ho hum.

I love that everyone is getting defensive about someone criticizing a script written by two dude's who haven't written a good script like this is some bizarro, contrarian opinion that isn't already all over the internet. I like Prometheus and enjoy watching it, plot twist, but that's mostly due to the visuals.

What you're now doing is simply describing scenes in Prometheus, and then stating that they are lame, boring, or ho hum. There's no other argument being presented at all, aside from an appeal to the consensus of "the internet". Yes, a guy comes back as a space zombie after being killed by a snake that bleeds blood(?) and can instantly reform itself. How any of that is bad is something that is left completely untouched by your post, there isn't any argument offered whatsoever.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Shanty posted:

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, that seems like a missed opportunity.

I think that shot works better as a repetition of the motif running throughout Scott's alien films, which is of the particular fear of suffocation - the facehugger; Ash with the rolled up magazine; and now the visceral image of Fifield's helmet melting onto his face, simultaneously burning him horrifically but also forming over his mouth; and also the scene of David trying to calm the Neomorph, whose mouth is more of an aperture or anal-like orifice. This is why the criticism of the film's 'mundane' explanation of the aliens' origins are misguided. It looks past the straightforward progression in the use of this stock character to explore the common themes of the films in more nuanced ways. In Alien: Covenant, you are presented with the scenario that the xenomorph is just a scared infant, like It's Alive. The Neomorph is characterized as suffocating.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ruddiger posted:

He's introduced as an expert, people bitch about how unlikely an expert geologist getting lost is, yet somehow it's also completely predictable that he does get lost. How's that cake you're eating?

Him being a geologist and an expert has nothing to do with it. And yes, him making poor decisions leading to his death is predictable; this is a horror staple that's been run into the ground. You can question a character's actions while still knowing it's just poor set-up to get them killed.

Ferrinus posted:

That's definitely false. If it was predictable and boring then you wouldn't get this endless furor and confusion over the mapmaker getting lost.

Do people not discuss predictable, boring or generally bad things now? Or does discussing something make it inherently good? The Plinkett Star Wars reviews are discussions about the confusions presented in the prequel trilogy and I don't think anyone will argue that those films are good.

I wonder why they didn't keep this going for the rest of the design.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Plinkett Star Wars reviews are discussions about the confusions presented in the prequel trilogy and I don't think anyone will argue that those films are good.

In continuation of a trend, you'd be wrong about that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do people not discuss predictable, boring or generally bad things now? Or does discussing something make it inherently good? The Plinkett Star Wars reviews are discussions about the confusions presented in the prequel trilogy and I don't think anyone will argue that those films are good.

I mean, if the movie had been released last week and you were just offering a simple review, sure that stuff is fine. But we're years down the line here, and it's kind of expected that a discussion of Prometheus is going to involve more than that. It's been established that you think it was boring and predictable, either add something more to that or just let it go.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Him being a geologist and an expert has nothing to do with it. And yes, him making poor decisions leading to his death is predictable; this is a horror staple that's been run into the ground. You can question a character's actions while still knowing it's just poor set-up to get them killed.

I wonder why they didn't keep this going for the rest of the design.

The million page Star Wars thread is right over there, where dozens of posters regularly defend the prequels. I think they're pretty good, which is about as good as Star Wars has ever been.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I really dislike the Star Wars prequels, and didn't like A:C nearly as much as Prometheus (never mind Alien)... but just posting a slightly longer version of LULZ SUXXORZ over and over is just dumb and boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

The million page Star Wars thread is right over there, where dozens of posters regularly defend the prequels. I think they're pretty good, which is about as good as Star Wars has ever been.

I think that's the thing, I don't think ESB is so good it can't even be compared to other films. It's not really that precious.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A New Hope is more than just pretty good. Selling that crazy world while constantly being engaging and moving forward, without ever laboring through the exposition because they sell so much through that fantastic production design, is legitimately a feat. The others vary from fine to pretty good, but the first is a great film.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Put on Alien resurrection last night while I was noodling around on the guitar and found out Tuco from breaking bad/better call Saul is in it. That and short hair Winona Ryder made up for how crappy the rest of it was. Just watched covenant for the first time and it's made me go back and watch all the alien moves again.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

They do, but they don't regard the crucially important and utterly central "Fifeld and Millburn happen to get lost" plot point as though it were predictable or boring. They discuss it as an irreconcilable anomaly completely out of kilter with everything else in the film which calls Prometheus's status as science fiction as opposed to some kind of dadaist installation into question.

What I'm saying is that your immediate shift from "this doesn't make any sense" to "pffft, how... boring. how... generic. how... unearned. how... cliched. how... predictable. how... simplistic. how... every other contentless mildly negative word I can come up with. how...uninspired. how... overrated. how-" is just a rhetorical tactic designed to prevent your opponents from scoring points rather than an honest attempt to describe the movie.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

K. Waste posted:

I think that shot works better as a repetition of the motif running throughout Scott's alien films, which is of the particular fear of suffocation - the facehugger; Ash with the rolled up magazine; and now the visceral image of Fifield's helmet melting onto his face, simultaneously burning him horrifically but also forming over his mouth; and also the scene of David trying to calm the Neomorph, whose mouth is more of an aperture or anal-like orifice. This is why the criticism of the film's 'mundane' explanation of the aliens' origins are misguided. It looks past the straightforward progression in the use of this stock character to explore the common themes of the films in more nuanced ways. In Alien: Covenant, you are presented with the scenario that the xenomorph is just a scared infant, like It's Alive. The Neomorph is characterized as suffocating.

Something I didn't notice about that until looking at the still but, at least in that shot, it evokes imagery of the human skull underneath the xenomorph's translucent dome in Alien, which is pretty neat.

You can see they were really trying to make that connection in the deleted version of the sequence where Fifield attacks the ship.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Consider this post a prologue to Chapter 6.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Consider this post a prologue to huffing my own sweet, sweet farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, if the movie had been released last week and you were just offering a simple review, sure that stuff is fine. But we're years down the line here, and it's kind of expected that a discussion of Prometheus is going to involve more than that. It's been established that you think it was boring and predictable, either add something more to that or just let it go.

Do you think anyone would be discussing it if Alien: Covenant wasn't just released and/or because it's tied to the Alien series?

You don't have to read or reply to my opinion if you don't want to.

DeimosRising posted:

I'll save this thread from discussing that, but yikes.

Ferrinus posted:

They do, but they don't regard the crucially important and utterly central "Fifeld and Millburn happen to get lost" plot point as though it were predictable or boring. They discuss it as an irreconcilable anomaly completely out of kilter with everything else in the film which calls Prometheus's status as science fiction as opposed to some kind of dadaist installation into question.

On the SomethingAwful Forums? Do you remember what most of the posts were around the time of Prometheus' release or hell even A:C? Most were quick, "Film sucked/owned" posts. I don't think you'll be getting any of that discussion for any film in this series with this thread dying out unless it's another SMG post. I'll leave it at that though.