Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Praseodymi posted:

There's an excellent quote from The Wealth of Nations that Mark Blyth uses a bunch. Smith absolutely recognised the role of the state in protecting established wealth.

Sounds more like Marx.

Yeah jeez "we won't need government when class divides are gone" is the endgame of communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

i'm hesitant to give any definition for a word that a majority of this thread uses to justify hatred of people they don't agree with

lol, look at this white knight.

protecting all the youtubers from being called racists.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I have transcended ideology and become the uberliberal. I hold no opinions or beliefs, only a deep epistemological skepticism that only applies to one side of any given debate, for reasons I refuse to explain or examine. Thank you for showing me the way, forums user Pittsburgh Lambic.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Chasterson posted:

lol, look at this white knight.

protecting all the youtubers from being called racists.

cue lil' Milo video telling him everyone is a little racist.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i'm hesitant to give any definition for a word that a majority of this thread uses to justify hatred of people they don't agree with

gently caress off coward

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

in other alt-right news Stefan Molyneux continues to own self

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/886710167794061312

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fallenturtle posted:

cue lil' Milo video telling him everyone is a little racist.
Everyone is. It's a consequence of developing in a highly racialized society. The trick is to recognize that as a bad thing and to seek to reduce both personal and systemic biases rather than use it as an excuse for garbage humans being racist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zikan posted:

what? i still dont understand what this loving means.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Women needed to pony up the pussy to get a man to support them in the old days. Now they can suck off the state for money and just string along guys without giving up the vag.

ugh, that hurt to type.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Zikan posted:

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

What kind of person wants a relationship based entirely on financial dependency and desperation? An awful one.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Women needed to pony up the pussy to get a man to support them in the old days. Now they can suck off the state for money and just string along guys without giving up the vag.

I took it as "In the good old days, women didn't get to say No." Not sure that's really any worse than your interpretation.

Also, aren't these guys constantly saying "If I ever do get a girl, she'll be used up and just want me for my cash (LOL, like they have any) while making me pay for Chad's kids"? Why would they want women to be dependent on them for money if they think that's all a woman is after anyway? Again, it's just a way for losers who can't get laid to put the blame on anyone but themselves.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 17, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's been awhile since I read up on it, but as I recall the prejudice + power formulation was constructed originally for what I might call academic advocacy purposes, to fold harm arguments into the definition and leverage it for broader political use. This...turned out poorly, both because it creates problems for intersectional interpretation, because it's easy to abuse the expression, and because, ultimately, it's a pretty reductive and dumb definition that confuses effect with content.

It's popular in some advocate corners because it's a catchy phrase that provides the impression of insight (or a rhetorical knife-twist), and popular as a means of attacking anti-racist arguments in other corners because it's so obviously reductive and exclusive.

...On further thought, there's probably a parallel to the cultural appropriation arguments here somewhere.

Zikan posted:

I see where that's going and I'm disgusted that I do.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Zikan posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe hes an undoomed fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVVWSXIR0k&t=145s
maybe this is international friend zone solidarity week

vvvvv

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't know what he's on
he's on eggs

crime weed fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 17, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Steve thinks Rome was a welfare state so I don't know what he's on about even in his own dream logic

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's been awhile since I read up on it, but as I recall the prejudice + power formulation was constructed originally for what I might call academic advocacy purposes, to fold harm arguments into the definition and leverage it for broader political use. This...turned out poorly, both because it creates problems for intersectional interpretation, because it's easy to abuse the expression, and because, ultimately, it's a pretty reductive and dumb definition that confuses effect with content.

It's popular in some advocate corners because it's a catchy phrase that provides the impression of insight (or a rhetorical knife-twist), and popular as a means of attacking anti-racist arguments in other corners because it's so obviously reductive and exclusive.

...On further thought, there's probably a parallel to the cultural appropriation arguments here somewhere.

Who writes rationalwiki? Divabot and friends?

Re: prejudice plus power, I'm linking to this with extreme caution: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power

Discendo Vox posted:

I see where that's going and I'm disgusted that I do.
This is offensive to human dignity. (The Molyneux quote, not Vox.)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 17, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I imagine Lambic is banned from is local supermarkets for endlessly arguing with the staff after seeing "new and improved" on various products and demanding exhaustive proof of the claim.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Who writes rationalwiki? Divabot and friends?

Re: prejudice plus power, I'm linking to this with extreme caution: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power

Interesting, I knew the wiki article was out there, but hadn't read it. The Hoyt, Jr., commentary, and the sources it cites, were the main sources I'd used when previously looking at the subject.

WrenP-Complete posted:

This is offensive to human dignity. (The Molyneux quote, not Vox.)

His current pinned tweet is
https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/886790856916815873

:headdesk:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 17, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That diagram also represents how I feel looking at the diagram, as if there's a large rod jammed through my skull.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Jesus, the replies are worse than the graph.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, I've dealt with a buddy who after years away I've found somehow became a Molyneux acolyte. Discussed IQ with him (shocker, he thinks its hyper-important, I think its scientific racist garbage) and he started with this IQ decreasing thing. Totally blown away when more than one person mentioned the Flynn Effect (i.e. the upward trend in the developed world) as something that was real and as uncontroversial as gravity. Don't know if anyone is going to reach him (he is programmed so he argues without any regard for the end results, which makes for interesting conclusions) but I have to think that lining his thinking up against the body of scientific research is something that might improve him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guys I know that it's bad to confuse correlation with causation but...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if iq meant anything a two-three point drop since the 50s is negligible and you can't just extrapolate that trend into eternity. one of the top responses mentions vaccines lol.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It just says "IQ level" on that axis. Is it the world average? Is it the Canadian median? Is it Steven Molyneux's specifically? Let's follow the link and find out!

The Daily Mail posted:

Dumb and dumber? Evidence suggests the IQs of people in the UK, Denmark and Australia have declined in the last decade.

This article is from 2014 posted:

An IQ test used to determine whether Danish men are fit to serve in the military has revealed scores have fallen by 1.5 points since 1998.

Oh. "World" means three countries chosen seemingly arbitrarily, including a 1.5 point drop over 16 years in one of them, and Molyneux doesn't live in any of them. Why does he care about this again?

A newspaper that literally supported Hitler posted:

Now some experts believe we are starting to see the end of the Flynn effect in developed countries – and that IQ scores are not just levelling out, but declining.

Scientists including Dr Flynn think better education can reverse the trend and point out the perceived decline could just be a blip. However, other scientists are not so optimistic.

Some believe the Flynn effect has masked a decline in the genetic basis for intelligence, so that while more people have been reaching their full potential, that potential itself has been declining.

Well that seems like a well-backed-up argument that has nothing to do with eugenics. What else you got?

:females: posted:

Westerns have lost 14 IQ points on average since the Victorian age, according to a study published by the University of Amsterdam last year.

Jan te Nijenhuis thinks this could be because intelligent women tend to have less children than women who are not as clever, The Huffington Post reported.

The perceived link between IQ and fertility is a very contentious one.

Dr Nijenhuis studied the results of 14 intelligence studies conducted between 1884 and 2004 to come to his conclusion.

Each study measured peoples' reaction times - how long they took to press a button after being prompted.

It is claimed that reaction time mirrors mental processing speed - so it reflects intelligence.

They found that visual reaction times averaged 194 milliseconds in the late 19th Century, but in 2004, they had increased to 275 milliseconds.

This would suggest that people have become less intelligent, they said.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

these idiots all need to read the mismeasure of man.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Your internal philosophy is so hosed up you can't even define racism.

Assuming you're not being disingenuous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

They found that visual reaction times averaged 194 milliseconds in the late 19th Century, but in 2004, they had increased to 275 milliseconds.
So many questions.

Where are these studies on reaction time in the late 19th century? I assume they used electromechanical prompts and stopwatch measures, how accurate were they?
What age groups are they taken from? Older people have worse reaction times, and there's more older people now, so could that explain it?
What does reaction time have to do with general intelligence?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

someone who can do one of those timed multiplication texts faster than einstein is definitely smarter than him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I lived in the late 19th century the easy availability of opiates and cheap column liquor would have probably given me a reaction time of 'huh?'

Or more likely I'd have died at 18 months or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zikan posted:

He literally wants to be the villain forcing the young protagonist of an historical romance novel into marriage.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

So many questions.

Where are these studies on reaction time in the late 19th century? I assume they used electromechanical prompts and stopwatch measures, how accurate were they?
What age groups are they taken from? Older people have worse reaction times, and there's more older people now, so could that explain it?

There's even more to this that is just 100% taken on faith. Like G (general intelligence) is a measurable phenomena with only scalar values. Meaning, being smart at one thing makes you smart at other things, and this can be ranked directly on a number line. That's not something that you can just claim without any real proof, and what I've understood says that G being this isn't the slam dunk it was a decade or two in the past.

Basically, their weird science of IQ and racist trappings that have been built around them might not even be valid at the base level. Of course, their response is always that things were better a few decades in the past, when we had people still working hard at coming up with a more socially acceptable phrenology to show the supposed inferiority of non-white people.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zikan posted:

https://twitter.com/gamblor5555/status/887015899491954689

:lol:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

So many questions.

Oh, the article answers that one. "It is claimed that reaction time mirrors mental processing speed - so it reflects intelligence." If you put a NASCAR driver and a chess grand master next to each other, and tried to guess which one was more intelligent, safe money is going to be on the NASCAR driver every time. He's just that much faster at reacting.

e: And since we're just generally making GBS threads on Molyneux, I'm going to recommend Shaun's video on his Force Awakens critique. Come to try to figure out whether Moly actually watched the movie or not, stay for the unhinged shouting about the main character's uterus! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iqN68PejEc

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 17, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

rkajdi posted:

Basically, their weird science of IQ and racist trappings that have been built around them might not even be valid at the base level. Of course, their response is always that things were better a few decades in the past, when we had people still working hard at coming up with a more socially acceptable phrenology to show the supposed inferiority of non-white people.
If they make a claim to a general intelligence, why do they often take an anti-intellectual line? Or conversely, if they're so rational, why aren't they off being great at all other things.

Or are they so rational that they've realized that they can sit on their rear end making poorly produced poo poo and rake in more money than they probably would as a chemistry graduate or something for far less effort?

Goon Danton posted:

Oh, the article answers that one. "It is claimed that reaction time mirrors mental processing speed - so it reflects intelligence." If you put a NASCAR driver and a chess grand master next to each other, and tried to guess which one was more intelligent, safe money is going to be on the NASCAR driver every time. He's just that much faster at reacting.
I mean if we're going to take that to its logical extent, a cockroach could beat me or you or any of them in a simple stimulus-response test 100% of the time. Guess we are the real dumbasses for developing cognition and speech instead of just being able to eat glue.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone is. It's a consequence of developing in a highly radicalized society. The trick is to recognize that as a bad thing and to seek to reduce both personal and systemic biases rather than use it as an excuse for garbage humans being racist.

Oh I agree with him. I don't believe there is anyone who has grown up in our society who has a mind clear of racial, gender, and cultural biases. But if you have a thought like that you identify it, think to yourself "that's hosed up, don't think like that", don't act on it, keep it to yourself, and move on.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 17, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It's funny to see the same people who attack the idea of college (and really education in general) brag about how high their IQ's supposedly are.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

yikes

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

So many questions.

Guy used the study from Francis Galton. Galton, WHO WAS THE NEPHEW OF DARWIN WHICH GIVES HIM EXTRA CREDIBILITY!!!!, reasoned that intelligence is the ability to process information at a fast pace. Which led to the reaction time = measure of intelligence.

Of course you could argue that we're a lot smarter than we were back then and we realize that intelligence is more than just that. Or the fact that science in those days wasn't as advanced... But you might as well be talking to a wall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*frantically clicks 'Show Less' at bottom*

How can you be so poo poo that a woman has literally nothing to offer you as a friend? Like has no shared life experiences or interesting takes on things? And how can you be so specifically poo poo that :females: are constantly getting offended around you but none of the guys are?

Archer666 posted:

Guy used the study from Francis Galton. Galton, WHO WAS THE NEPHEW OF DARWIN WHICH GIVES HIM EXTRA CREDIBILITY!!!!, reasoned that intelligence is the ability to process information at a fast pace. Which led to the reaction time = measure of intelligence.

Of course you could argue that we're a lot smarter than we were back then and we realize that intelligence is more than just that. Or the fact that science in those days wasn't as advanced... But you might as well be talking to a wall.
Oh cool it's the eugenics guy who thought we should improve society by paying the high class to breed more instead of providing better education.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Mr Interweb posted:

It's funny to see the same people who attack the idea of college (and really education in general) brag about how high their IQ's supposedly are.

It's because they all think they're autodidacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i would hope someone with a septum piercing would friend zone me.

• Locked thread