Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It's surprising how many issues can be solved by nuking saved application state. Just now I used it to fix a really baffling problem I was having with quicktime player where it would immediately cancel any uploads for youtube with a "Cannot decode" error. (Incidentally google searching for anything involving "quicktime cannot decode" is super unhelpful.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

maskenfreiheit posted:

So I just bought a USB3.0 HD to use with Time Machine, and it's taking a really long time to backup the first time (.01gb/second but seems to go in fits and starts) ... is this normal?

It's the first backup to the HD, and I did select encryption.

Probably normal, yeah. Obviously this answer depends on the size of the disk it's backing up. You didn't mention that. But yeah, first time backup can take some time.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
For the last couple years I've been using /etc/hosts to redirect ad servers for (e.g.) youtube videos to 127.0.0.1. There's a few curated lists out there for doing this sort of thing. It worked flawlessly until this week, when youtube ads started showing up again. I figured it was time to update my hosts file, but I'm still getting ads all the time after doing that. Anyone have any idea why this wouldn't work anymore?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

decypher posted:

Probably normal, yeah. Obviously this answer depends on the size of the disk it's backing up. You didn't mention that. But yeah, first time backup can take some time.

It's a 1TB USB drive, the internal drive is 500GB drive so understandable - I guess there's overhead to building the index or whatnot. I let it run overnight and it said it's 100% backed up but only 16% encrypted. I also tweaked a setting to let my movies directory backup since hey, I've got space now, and that stuff uploaded super fast which made me less worried.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

For the last couple years I've been using /etc/hosts to redirect ad servers for (e.g.) youtube videos to 127.0.0.1. There's a few curated lists out there for doing this sort of thing. It worked flawlessly until this week, when youtube ads started showing up again. I figured it was time to update my hosts file, but I'm still getting ads all the time after doing that. Anyone have any idea why this wouldn't work anymore?

Black hole hosts file should resolve to 0.0.0.0, not localhost.

IDK about getting ads after, unless they've added more ad hosts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone else having issues with Wi-Fi Calling? I had it all setup but just noticed that it's no longer active. My phone is still enabled and working and it's also working just fine on my iPad. on my iMac it just shows as "calls from iPhone" with the option to upgrade to wi-fi calling which tries to go through activation every minute or so to no avail. Going through the whole setup again just gets stuck on activation again.

EDIT: actually never mind my iPad is stuck at activation too. So it's my phone loving yo somehow even though it's still showing in wifi calling mode.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you guys still use widgets or has your phone replaced that? I used to use the weather and calculator but now I use my phone. Are there any useful/cool ones I don't know about?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still use the weather widget, swiping my laptop to another desktop is the quickest way to get all the temps at a glance. Same with clocks for various time zones, and a calendar for quick reference.

Calculator's still there too, but I use it less and less it seems.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think I turned off that space because notification centre is really good for those things. I like monity, the itunes widget, weather, basic stuff.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Never once used the widgets in the year I've been using a Mac. Two finger swipe from the right to see the weather, my calendar and a calculator (which I only use when using Spotlight would take up too much space in front of whatever numbers I'm calculating with).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I stopped using dashboard sometime after they made it into a space. Having it all the way to the left just means I can't mindlessly swipe left until I get back to my home desktop, which made it into a nuisance, rather than just "sorta useless."

After all, weather's in the notification center now (and it's probably still quicker to just check my phone if I want to know what the weather is beyond looking out a window), alfred is a better calculator for simple things (since you don't have to mouse over to the widget and click), and stickies.app still exists if I want to have a bunch of little notes laying around (because Notes' insistence on syncing and textedit's no longer opening to a blank document make them both kinda bad for taking a quick note, unless they're already open).

I feel like I used to have a translation widget, which was pretty nice. But these days I've probably got a browser constantly open anyway, so it's not much of an imposition to go to google translate to check something.

The only particularly useful widget I occasionally miss is the iStat one. I liked that better than having even more crap in my menu bar, or having to pop open activity monitor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Didn't they silently kill widgets and stuff of back in like the Mountain Lion days?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Hm, I guess there's actually an option to have it as an overlay instead, like the old days. Too bad I don't really have any use for them.

Hell, apple still has their widgets gallery up. God knows when it was last updated, but it's a better fate than pretty much all their pre-OS X stuff, old help pages, &c.

e. probably should've screenshot that with the dropdown open, but you get the idea.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Siri killed the dashboard for me. Easier to just speak out a calculation or ask for the weather imo.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I still put little sticky notes on my Dashboard if I'm writing something down from a phone call.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Theophany posted:

Siri killed the dashboard for me. Easier to just speak out a calculation or ask for the weather imo.

I honestly can't even imagine using Siri. Like in a workplace setting? I've never ever heard anyone give a voice command to their computer. Wouldn't it be a huge annoyance?

I mean maybe if I only used a computer in a room by myself, but... is this telling me something about how many people live alone?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I'm still not over the 'talking to your computer' thing beyond a search bar on the Apple TV rather than use the remote. Thought the world they built in 'Her' was interesting, because that plane of reality had everyone talking to devices like second nature but I probably only know one or two people who regularly use Siri.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Does anyone use else using server.app to run a VPN server have to restart the service 100% of the time to get it to work after a reboot? So frustrating!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Data Graham posted:

I honestly can't even imagine using Siri. Like in a workplace setting? I've never ever heard anyone give a voice command to their computer. Wouldn't it be a huge annoyance?

I mean maybe if I only used a computer in a room by myself, but... is this telling me something about how many people live alone?

That's a fair point, I'm self employed so I'm alone in my home office most days of the week. There's no way I'd do it on the days I'm in an office with other people. Which is kinda weird because nobody bats an eyelid if I'm wearing my headset doing conference calls over Skype or whatever in the middle of an open plan office and functionally it's no different.

That being said I barely use Siri. Most of the time it's to quickly work out what I'm owed when writing up an invoice as it's quicker than opening a calculator app or to work out when the weather will be best to go out for a walk during the day.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wish you could customize siri to punk people.

"Siri, purge all data on this mac, authorization code destruct sequence 1, code 1-1 A"

"Purge sequence completed and engaged. Awaiting final code for (time interval) countdown."

Opens some countdown timer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Goons, I need your help. Because I know how to use macOS, I'm considered an authority on Apple products here at work. Somehow I've been roped into a committee on evaluating and picking an anti-virus solution company wide. It also needs a macOS client. Any recommendations?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

None

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Goons, I need your help. Because I know how to use macOS, I'm considered an authority on Apple products here at work. Somehow I've been roped into a committee on evaluating and picking an anti-virus solution company wide. It also needs a macOS client. Any recommendations?

Time to get yourself a developer to make a do-nothing app to save your company a lot of system resources and make yourself some mad :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Your only escape now is death.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Theophany posted:

That being said I barely use Siri. Most of the time it's to quickly work out what I'm owed when writing up an invoice as it's quicker than opening a calculator app or to work out when the weather will be best to go out for a walk during the day.

If you're a touch typist, the fastest way to do a calculation is to slam command-spacebar and type out a mathematical expression, because they built that poo poo into Spotlight.

Probably weather too but I wouldn't know, I'm a filthy California Bay Area dweller so needing to look up the weather is an alien concept

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/wannacry-and-the-state-of-mac-ransomware/

Serious question though, how do you know if your mac app downloads are clean? Like handbrake, transmission, and god knows what else. That article seems to say that you can't trust developers all the time and known good apps are not immune to external tampering. Does Safari or Chrome scan downloaded files?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

BobHoward posted:

slam command-spacebar

How much better is 'Alfred' than Spotlight?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eightysixed posted:

How much better is 'Alfred' than Spotlight?

Idk, have never tried it since Spotlight has suited my needs well enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/wannacry-and-the-state-of-mac-ransomware/

Serious question though, how do you know if your mac app downloads are clean? Like handbrake, transmission, and god knows what else.
What company allows people to install that kind of stuff?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
How is Handbrake even an attack vector?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BitesizedNike posted:

How is Handbrake even an attack vector?

The handbrake website itself was replaced with a payload-bearing one. Anyone who downloaded (or updated?) during the time got infected.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of the guys from Panic wrote a blog, as he got hit by the fake Handbrake update and he said himself there were multiple red flags that he should've picked up on. AV software isn't going to stop people from granting permissions to software that asks it to.

The only scenario for AV, which does seem to match the original question, is where the Mac can pass on infected software designed for Windows in a mixed OS environment without realizing it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

What company allows people to install that kind of stuff?

I was speaking generally for a personal machine.

However, I've seen plenty of small/med studios in town that 'allow' that stuff. Mainly because they give zero shits about anything.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Data Graham posted:

it's useful for tasks that are very simple but also pretty fiddly and menu heavy - the issue is that the barrier in terms of inputting things is way lower on osx than ios so the number of tasks is vanishingly small. something that remains is the act of setting a reminder; saying 'remind me to check bad dragon.com tomorrow at 2am' is way less fiddly than opening the reminder app, typing in the reminder, and clicking through a date picker. phoning people can also be a fair bit faster.

you're right that it makes you look like a loving dick though and that never goes away

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Years ago I started using GeekTool to put a date/time/weather overlay on my desktop. At some point it stopped pulling weather from Yahoo and I tried to update it to a newer version but kept getting stymied. Perhaps when I finally move to the latest OS it will all get blown away and I can try something built-in.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

You can still float things from dashboard on your desktop, if you'd like

Like this [now] tragically pointless dictionary widget.

Oddly, the weather widgets from Dashboard (The Weather Channel, powered by Yahoo!) and the weather widget in the Notification Center (The Weather Channel) disagree as to the current temperature. So either one's broken, or that's somehow a significant difference.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope the isn't considered :filez: but I'm trying to take a screenshot of a TV episode I bought off iTunes to send to the producer of that very TV show as per his request. I can't because of DRM. The screenshots are all grey. Is there a work around or a free DRM removal tool? This sucks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Try downloading mpv and see if it automatically addresses it. The shortcut is i with subtitles and I without. I assume you can play the iTunes videos with something else, but I could be wrong.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it because of DRM, or because it's using the hardware overlay to playback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it because of DRM, or because it's using the hardware overlay to playback?
Do explain. I do have a dGPU in my macbook pro.