Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They are way better than they have any right to be.

Best sci fi series in years easily.

I havent watched any of them but i keep hearing theyre good.

I hope they continue the series and get into the very far future and we see those psychic mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Old Story posted:

I just googled it and holy poo poo there really was a Mrs. Doubtfire 2 in the works when Robin Williams offed himself and the project simultaneously

have a lol quote from the director himself

did Williams die to save us from trash?

Holy lol hollywood killed him with poo poo sequels I knew it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Story posted:

the bad part isn't suggesting that Deckard is a replicant, it's the director coming down on the issue one way or another imo. You're supposed to wonder if he's a replicant, and about the difference between replicant and humans, and what an identity means in a world with implanted memories et cetera. Just stating categorically that he's a robot takes the fun out of it

It's like in that unrelated movie, Alien. The people find an alien ship and it's got alien eggs and a dude who got chestbursted, and then that poo poo happens on the human ship and it's like, you get some hints about what happened on the alien ship, you know that the dude with the hole in his chest got hosed up by an Alien, but there's still a ton of mystery that makes it interesting.

Imagine if Ridley Scott made a movie explaining away the mystery and his explanation was super lame

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Lol nobody would ever do that it would totally defeat the purpose of the first film!

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Guy Goodbody posted:

Imagine if Ridley Scott made a movie explaining away the mystery and his explanation was super lame

this made me sad

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

There was a light gun game for the goddamn CDI or some poo poo called snatchers, a direct rip off of blade runner in style and tone, but where gifs of terminators would pop out of people after you gave them the ol' voight campf test and it had a part where whoa maybe you, the player character, are a terminator, and then no you're not because that's dumb. I'm pretty sure the reveal has your little robot sidekick call you a dumbass if you think you're a robot. but it was a cool what if for like two seconds. And now I find that it's based on an in real life old man who yells at clouds.

Or I want to know if that game said what if, haha, just before ridley's definitive unicorn edition was released on dvd.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Clawtopsy posted:

i want the last jedi to be bad because the meltdowns will be much funnier

i think it will be a very safe diverse movie though that is decent enough to watch but gets 92% somehow

It'll probably be fine like TFA was. Maybe even good if they take a bit more risks with it.

I'm way more excited for the fan-service garbage they're gonna push out between the main trilogy. Going by Rogue One and everything we've heard about the Young Han movie that's where the real turds will be.

Best thing is we'll get meltdowns anyway because the I CLAPPED crowd hated on TFA and want the kind of pandering they got with Rogue One.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bloom posted:

It'll probably be fine like TFA was. Maybe even good if they take a bit more risks with it.

I'm way more excited for the fan-service garbage they're gonna push out between the main trilogy. Going by Rogue One and everything we've heard about the Young Han movie that's where the real turds will be.

Best thing is we'll get meltdowns anyway because the I CLAPPED crowd hated on TFA and want the kind of pandering they got with Rogue One.

Yuppp

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Ridley Scat is a hack who got by on other people's work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Poor Donald Glover. All his campaign to be Spider-Man got him was a cameo as a criminal in the new one. And now he's gonna be Lando in a horrifically bad Star Wars movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Poor Donald Glover. All his campaign to be Spider-Man got him was a cameo as a criminal in the new one. And now he's gonna be Lando in a horrifically bad Star Wars movie.

Nah man, he's living the dream. He started out as a YouTube comedy man and now has an actual factual job in Hollywood, he's extremely lucky.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMfCJpfhdo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favourite take on the Secret Replicant trope is in the Westworld finale when one of the lab techs has the dramatic moment of looking at his hands and thinking OMG am I a robot too?? and Maeve notices and just gives him the world's biggest eye-roll and says "Oh for gently caress's sake, you're not one of us, you're one of them."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Entropic posted:

My favourite take on the Secret Replicant trope is in the Westworld finale when one of the lab techs has the dramatic moment of looking at his hands and thinking OMG am I a robot too?? and Maeve notices and just gives him the world's biggest eye-roll and says "Oh for gently caress's sake, you're not one of us, you're one of them."

That was a terrific moment, because it's also the writers saying "Hey, don't worry, this isn't going to be Battlestar Galactica with new secret cylons coming out of the woodwork all the time."

But mostly because it was funny as hell.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's no way the new blade runner will be worse than the new Spider-Man.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

WampaLord posted:

Nah man, he's living the dream. He started out as a YouTube comedy man and now has an actual factual job in Hollywood, he's extremely lucky.

An actual, factual job in Hollywood? What are you implying?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Even if Blade Runner 2049 sucks rear end, it will give us a pretty bitchin soundtrack.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

An actual, factual job in Hollywood? What are you implying?

That he's been on television and in movies and whatnot. What did you think I was implying?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
That everything before that was irrelevant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

a bone to pick posted:

There's no way the new blade runner will be worse than the new Spider-Man.

Spider Man is part of the MCU now so will be very competently made even if it's boring. Blade Runner 2 actually has the potential to be a complete clusterfuck. It will be at least as bad as Prometheus.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Atlanta is currently the high point of his career. Hollywood is not the top anymore, being on a good TV show is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

That everything before that was irrelevant.

Well, yea, being a YouTube funnyman in the era he was doing it wasn't exactly a viable career path. This was way before people were making good money on YouTube.

It wasn't "irrelevant" but he's a kid who got called up from the minors to play in the big leagues.

Baronjutter posted:

Atlanta is currently the high point of his career. Hollywood is not the top anymore, being on a good TV show is.

TV is still "Hollywood" to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Donglover is going to be fine even if Han Solo is trash because he's established himself well enough with not trash stuff. That's just career wise. But as a huge starwars fan who's got his dream roll it's going to hurt when the starwars project you got to be involved in was a huge critical flop and you know it's garbage no matter how much money it made.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I heard Spider-Man is going to be in the new Star Wars. Hopefully he beats Darth Maul to the spell-a-thon.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Donglover is going to be fine even if Han Solo is trash because he's established himself well enough with not trash stuff. That's just career wise. But as a huge starwars fan who's got his dream roll it's going to hurt when the starwars project you got to be involved in was a huge critical flop and you know it's garbage no matter how much money it made.

I wonder if they feel better if people say "But you were the best part of that lovely movie!" like people said about Batfleck in BvS.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Was Glover's performance good or bad in Spiderman? Were they going for a criminal who's not phased by anything or was he just phoning it in?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

vermin posted:

Was Glover's performance good or bad in Spiderman? Were they going for a criminal who's not phased by anything or was he just phoning it in?

It wasn't really much of anything. He basically tells Spiderman some stuff he needs to know, while also telling him that he needs to get better at interrogation and intimidation. Scene ends with him stuck to a car, yelling at Peter after being told how long the web takes to wear off.

e: According to Wikipedia, he's supposed to be Miles Morales' uncle.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It sounds like RLM are onto Film Gob. Jay was talking about how you don't explain the joke and referenced Film Gob's mashups of RLM and Collider videos. So naturally, Gob did another mashup.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

vermin posted:

He gave the best performance in the movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloom posted:

yeah i don't get the late backlash on tfa by the same people that loving loved rogue one. just from a basic film making standpoint tfa is better and it's way better if you're judging them as star wars movies.

lol jay doesn't seem to realize most of us don't watch thos ecollider videos so we think they're just being over the top with nerd crew when they're spot on.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 17, 2017

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

bloom posted:

Whoever said awhile back about RLM sort of weeds out the hyper autistic nerds from the more common was right; such a noticeable shift in their attitude when you bring up RLM in any way.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I like his supercuts of shill star wars events, but when Gob shows his awful face or talks I immediately close the window. also Jay is right. you only need to watch 30 seconds of any nerdshit talk show to get the joke. aka, Gob is a hack.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't be too hard on Gob because he's just pointing out how Collider and their ilk are paid shills meant to manufacture hype and deny any problems or imperfections in Disney movies. Like Spider-Man.

He's doing the lord's work on youtube.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like Gob because I've had zero exposure to so many of the things RLM is making fun of.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zmej posted:

I like his supercuts of shill star wars events, but when Gob shows his awful face or talks I immediately close the window. also Jay is right. you only need to watch 30 seconds of any nerdshit talk show to get the joke. aka, Gob is a hack.

I think his video for the Rogue One review was OK, because it was obvious shill reviewing interspersed with yelling about AT-STs and lightsabers. When he started comparing them to the Nerd Crew videos is when he lost me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I genuinely can't fathom the kind of degenerate existence that would lead a "person" to watch those type of videos.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I genuinely can't fathom the kind of degenerate existence that would lead a "person" to watch those type of videos.

You only need to watch parts of one or two to "get it". Like RLM wasn't making poo poo up when they went on and on about getting excited about how the NEW LOGO WAS ANNOUNCED!!! LOGO SNEAK PREVIEW!!! but I'd have never believed that was a real thing anyone was talking about if it wasn't for Gob. But once you get it, you can just close the video and probably don't need to watch any of his videos ever again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have a big problem with these "lol let's mock these idiots" videos of Gobs (or by anyone, really) because it makes me actually watch the idiots and holy gently caress are they terrible. I can't stand it for more than like 15 seconds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was pretty great when the people would actually say they give the movie 8/10 but then talk about a bunch of glaring issues. it's much easier to watch em in these funny vids than the actual collider ones.

the toy opening one is objectively great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was pretty great when the people would actually say they give the movie 8/10 but then talk about a bunch of glaring issues. it's much easier to watch em in these funny vids than the actual collider ones.

the toy opening one is objectively great.

*actual unboxing noise*

• Locked thread