Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
Was pretty happy with this run and recorded it with Shadow Play, but it came out flickering really badly. Anyone know what caused this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inu-_LZQHGE

Was pretty proud of that run too, Clean race in a Group B car and 45th on the leaderboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Good stuff. That video is pretty unwatchable though. Some sort of V-Sync or G-Sync issue maybe? Do you run SLI?

Todays daily made clear that I like the R5s even less than the 2010s in DR. When a car feels underpowered for its grip level in freaking Sweden its a bit of a turd.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Nope no SLI, I'm running a GTX 760. I uninstalled and reinstalled Gforce experience and that seems to have cleared up the issue.

Also If anyone wants to add me on steam for dirt stuff http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sadistic145

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Alright I bought dirt 4. Let it be one of my favorite games just like dirt 3

Edit: Oh my god is it normal to suck complete balls at this game in the beginning even if you were pretty good at dirt 3?

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 16, 2017

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah that's pretty normal. Especially if you chose simulation mode. Also the starter cars are total rear end, and the default tunes are understeery as hell (which also plays into the starter cars because FWD cars with understeer are roughly as fun as punching yourself in the genitals repeatedly).

To fix going from Dirt 3 to Dirt 4 sim driving: slow the gently caress down. Like, seriously, drive like grandpa taking a driving test. You might gain quarter a second per corner by going maximum attack, but forcibly introducing your radiator to a tree will lose you 10+ seconds. Also pace notes don't indicate ascending or descending corners (descending corners being a far bigger problem most of the time), so for a start I'd drive to what you can see rather than what your codriver is telling you (particularly around blind crests/corners).

To fix the rear end tunes: 1-1.5° negative camber (both front and rear), no toe, lower the braking force and adjust the bias forward (if you understeer under heavy braking, push the bias back a couple of notches), loosen the diffs (if you have a 4WD with adjustable centre diff, start with a 50/50 torque split and adjust from there). For springs/damping, I generally go +10mm (and soften springs/dampers by about the same amount) on Australia/Wales/Sweden, 0mm Michigan, -10mm (with harder springs/dampers) in Spain. Anti-roll bars I generally leave where they are, unless I'm trying to make the back end get out around turns and don't have adjustable torque split, then I soften the front and harden the rear ARB.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Post above nails good baseline setups.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

Post above nails good baseline setups.

Does that apply to dirt rally as well?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd start with porkhammers setups on the workshop for rally. The cars in rally are a lot more floaty. My setups for the same cars aren't even remotely close between the two titles.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is a pretty valuable document for tuning - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SQcr00QWaLgn7P8UwcydzaigvhdM6yTvNeM2-N6Grmw/pubhtml

Obviously the car and stage stuff is dirt rally specific but the rest is based on the IRL stuff the settings in game are based on and the links go to things like engineering explained to give background details.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004

Thel posted:

Also pace notes don't indicate ascending or descending corners (descending corners being a far bigger problem most of the time), so for a start I'd drive to what you can see rather than what your codriver is telling you (particularly around blind crests/corners).

Also the pace notes are sometimes just wrong/not called soon enough. I can't count how many times in the beginning I went shooting off into the trees when she casually called a right 3 that I think should have been called as caution right 2, and been called sooner. There are some right 4's that I think should be 3's as well. I've player enough that i know most of the terrain bits now so it's not so bad, but it will gently caress you up when you're first starting out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If dirt 4 is like rally, you can change when the pace notes are called out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

500MB patch today that adds support for processors with 8+ cores. And... that's it :v:

I wish they'd do something about their patching system. Having to have 40GB free for a 500MB patch is a bit ridiculous.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So... I've never been able to play the competitive multi-player matches, I queue up and wait for 7 other people to show up, but the most I get is one, and they give up after a minute.

Anybody else have that happen?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah, i've only managed to do Pro Tour on the launch day. Seems pretty dead now, but the game still nags me to defend my rating. The asynchronous nature of the leaderboard multiplayer is one of the nicer features of this game for me anyway. Its not like collisions are enabled in Pro Tour or anything. Haven't tried rallycross or landrush though, but I cant imagine they would have many players either.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Yea I've never been able to get more than 2 people queued up for competitive.

Also yea you can make the calls come early but it's only a few that are called too late so you end up with stuff that's called too early if you go too far.
I have early ticked up 2 spots and it seems adequate if not great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I don't think anybody really does the competitive rallycross online?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Don't forget the handling models. You get matched to people only using the same handling setting as you, so you might change it to see if you find more people.

But your division and such is saved separately for each handling model, so... (Codemasters should have really thought this out better)

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I wonder if the game is doing as well as they hoped. I never saw it in the top seller list on Steam, and it has about 50 000 owners on steamspy, which doesn't seem like a lot for a main title. I expect it has done better than Dirt Rally on consoles, but i guess Dirt 4 had a much higher budget. Has all the simspergs scared people off?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Humbug posted:

I wonder if the game is doing as well as they hoped. I never saw it in the top seller list on Steam, and it has less than 50 000 owners on steamspy, which doesn't seem like a lot for a main title. I expect it has done better than Dirt Rally on consoles, but i guess Dirt 4 had a much higher budget. Has all the simspergs scared people off?

I wouldn't say scared people off, but there's a reason I haven't mentioned I use the Gamer handling mode :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No one here gunna poo poo on you for using gamer handling

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

T1g4h posted:

I wouldn't say scared people off, but there's a reason I haven't mentioned I use the Gamer handling mode :v:

I expect most players use gamer mode, and I wouldn't belittle them for it. I tried it and it was better than I had expected. I would probably play in it if i didn't have a wheel. Its more the big orange "mixed reviews" on steam and user metacritic score left by the disgruntled simbase.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I do use sim handling, I guess I could change it and see if I get to play with other people or not. I played my son with gamer mode, it just felt weird after sim-style. He killed me doing a random landrush event and thought it was hilarious that I was yelling at the game because "the stupid truck handles weird!"

e: Ohhhhhhhhhh Group B weekly <3<3<3<3

Also changed the handling to gamer, actually had TWO other people lined up in matchmaking! Feels a little like cheating, but it probably saved a lot of spectator's lives with me throwing the Quattro around.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 18, 2017

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I honestly enjoy it solely because it makes the game feel more like DiRT 3 for me, in that I can careen through forests at top speed and not die. I fully admit it's arcadey as hell in terms of how grippy the cars are, but man it's fun :v:

Also, gonna crosspost this from the Awesome AI thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-4j6mPkAYM

There's a really ridiculous cut towards the end, you guys will love it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

T1g4h posted:

I fully admit it's arcadey as hell in terms of how grippy the cars are, but man it's fun :v:

I know lots of simspergs will insist otherwise, but cars actually having grip isn't necessarily unrealistic. I think my favorite example is the iracing Skip Barber car: Every revision of the tire model has made it grippier in general, and more stable/less prone to off-throttle oversteer specifically. Every time you get people freaking out about how it's been ruined and it's just too easy to drive now and it's so unrealistic... completely ignoring people who have driven the real car posting about how it still isn't as stable as the real car. (Though I think the most recent update is pretty close)

vvvv: The cars used in top level motorsport are made to be as fast as possible within the rules of the series they're used in. Manufacturers don't intentionally make them difficult to drive, but they don't put much effort into making them easy to drive, either. (With the notable exception of GT3 cars, which are made for non-professional "gentlemen drivers" and even then are only easy to drive compared to other top level cars.) My point was just that the idea lots of hardcore sim drivers seem to have where a sim is only realistic if the cars feel like a greased pig on a skating rink is wrong.

Theris fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 18, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, it doesn't help that top level motorsports loves to push the idea that driving a racecar is something only for the elite skilled and wow these cars are so hard to drive look how good the drivers in this series are to handle these beasts. Even though there's no reason for a team or manufacturer to make a car hard to drive, it's in their best interests to make it as easy as possible to drive because then it gets crashed less and you're spending less money repairing it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Theris posted:

I know lots of simspergs will insist otherwise, but cars actually having grip isn't necessarily unrealistic. I think my favorite example is the iracing Skip Barber car: Every revision of the tire model has made it grippier in general, and more stable/less prone to off-throttle oversteer specifically. Every time you get people freaking out about how it's been ruined and it's just too easy to drive now and it's so unrealistic... completely ignoring people who have driven the real car posting about how it still isn't as stable as the real car. (Though I think the most recent update is pretty close)

vvvv: The cars used in top level motorsport are made to be as fast as possible within the rules of the series they're used in. Manufacturers don't intentionally make them difficult to drive, but they don't put much effort into making them easy to drive, either. (With the notable exception of GT3 cars, which are made for non-professional "gentlemen drivers" and even then are only easy to drive compared to other top level cars.) My point was just that the idea lots of hardcore sim drivers seem to have where a sim is only realistic if the cars feel like a greased pig on a skating rink is wrong.

Fair point. I remember when DR first came out I was complaining about the grip levels being too low and arguing that if my 2 ton, rear wheel drive DD could handle dirt and gravel roads just fine at speed using nothing but a set of Falken all seasons in real life, there's literally zero reason why purpose built rally cars should be sliding off at the same speeds or lower with actual gravel tires in what is supposed to be a racing sim :v:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
What the hell is going on with the career AI? I just finished way down on the top AI and got berated by Nicky. I thought it was strange since I thought I drove pretty well. Turns out I was 20th on the global leaderboard for the stage, and no one had posted a time even close to beating the fastest AI. Was in the E30 on the first Historic Intercontinental Rally.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
I really hope this game sold well enough to get DLC, it's challenging, even in gamer mode, the deeper you get into it. A Track Pack, with new locations and new pieces to feed into the course generator would be at the top of my list, followed by more cars. My only complaint is that it's better to drive for another team most of the time, the game has huge money sinks that take your cash at every turn. The garage and private collector are the first two that come to mind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm 90% sure Dirt 4 has been a complete disaster in sales terms. Steam Spy says around 56k owners and if you look at the leaderboards that's probably an overestimate.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's kinda weird because my impression is that the Dirt series has been a fairly steady and reliable success through 1 to 3. Then Dirt Rally came around and it was a huge hit for both Dirt fans and rally sim spergs. Then they tried to go back to the old formula with what they learned and it ends up that Dirt fans don't care and rally sim spergs don't like it for x, y, and z. Curious what it means for the future of the Dirt series. I'd love for them to keep with designated sim sperg series (ala Dirt Rally) and a normie series (ala mainstream Dirt), similar to how Forza does things, but I can see that the market doens't really need 2 different rally games. And since Dirt Rally did better than Dirt 4, is the sim side the way of the future?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jehde posted:

It's kinda weird because my impression is that the Dirt series has been a fairly steady and reliable success through 1 to 3. Then Dirt Rally came around and it was a huge hit for both Dirt fans and rally sim spergs. Then they tried to go back to the old formula with what they learned and it ends up that Dirt fans don't care and rally sim spergs don't like it for x, y, and z. Curious what it means for the future of the Dirt series. I'd love for them to keep with designated sim sperg series (ala Dirt Rally) and a normie series (ala mainstream Dirt), similar to how Forza does things, but I can see that the market doens't really need 2 different rally games. And since Dirt Rally did better than Dirt 4, is the sim side the way of the future?

Add trophy trucks and rally raids into dirt rally. Drop some of the monster energy attitude and off you go.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Rally itself is not that popular anymore, there's little mainstream appeal compared to Forza showcasing the newest porsche cars etc. Sim is definitely the way to go for them.

I mean, I would pay top $ for a Dirt Rally 2 with the same engine, more tracks and a better career mode.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
The big mistake they did was give every early car a boring set-up. That gave the impression that the game have been neutered and people stopped playing long before they reached the faster machines.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And I think while the track generator was a good idea and wowed initially, after a week everyone knew the blocks so there wasn't really any advantage to going that route over just having a load of properly designed stages.

Also they didn't have leagues in from the start, which probably did a fair bit of damage as the racing clubs who ran Dirt Rally leagues had no reason to jump over.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

njsykora posted:

I'm 90% sure Dirt 4 has been a complete disaster in sales terms. Steam Spy says around 56k owners and if you look at the leaderboards that's probably an overestimate.
That's just one platform. Is there any information on how it sold on consoles?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Around 67 thousand on PS4, 27 thousand on the xbone.

njsykora posted:

And I think while the track generator was a good idea and wowed initially, after a week everyone knew the blocks so there wasn't really any advantage to going that route over just having a load of properly designed stages.

Also they didn't have leagues in from the start, which probably did a fair bit of damage as the racing clubs who ran Dirt Rally leagues had no reason to jump over.

I think the best thing to keep things fresh with the track generator is to make new bits for it every update, just to create some variety on landscapes.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those numbers would only include box copies only in guessing, like most of those charts. Going by that site, it has sold about as much as Asseto Corsa so far

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 22, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm not sure why I'm not that interested in Dirt 4 while Rally is my favorite driving game ever.
Might be because Your Stage is lame and doesn't substitute a real custom track editor that people have actually been asking for? I can't deal with lack of Finland either.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

UK all format chart had Dirt 4 at #3 the week it came out, which is usually considered fairly disappointing for games with a lot of marketing push behind it like Dirt 4 had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I might be in the minority who vastly prefer your stage over pre made ones. Having an idea whats coming up is better than knowing exactly whats coming up, even if there is less detail. Yes, I would have liked more stage elements, but that takes resources. It seems to me that Codemasters usually err on the side of caution in the scope of their games, which might be why they are still independent and in business. I don't think this will break them, but they probably will need to rethink their approach to a potential next title.

• Locked thread