Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hope characters alternately refer to Officer K and Deckard as replicants and humans even in the same scene and no one in the movie notices this or cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Yaws posted:

I do like his recent output though :/
I think a lot of people are just having difficulty accepting that Prometheus and Covenant are comedies, so they can't enjoy them for what they are. And, granted, it's a little weird that the Alien prequels are comedies, but whatever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Scott's always been hit-and-miss, it's nothing new. Obviously he's never gonna touch his run of The Duellists-Alien-Blade Runner, but Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, Prometheus, The Martian and Alien: Covenant are all great, and I'd even go to bat for the interesting oddities that are Hannibal, Exodus and The Counselor.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Gladiator's a genuinely all right movie even if it doesn't entirely hold up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's beautiful and incredibly watchable, yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

Gladiator's a genuinely all right movie even if it doesn't entirely hold up.

The two most influential movies of the past 20 years, at least as far as blockbuster films go, are definitely Gladiator and The Matrix.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The two most influential movies of the past 20 years, at least as far as blockbuster films go, are definitely Gladiator and The Matrix.

Yeah that's a fair point. I feel like we're just now phasing out people fingering amber wheat fields, pseudo-Enya scores, and lines of dudes smashing into each other. I'm pretty sure most videogame protagonists are still just Russell Crowe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, the videogame thing is very salient. What Blade Runner and Aliens did in the 80's and 90's, Gladiator and The Matrix did in the 2000's.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LesterGroans posted:

Scott's always been hit-and-miss, it's nothing new. Obviously he's never gonna touch his run of The Duellists-Alien-Blade Runner, but Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, Prometheus, The Martian and Alien: Covenant are all great, and I'd even go to bat for the interesting oddities that are Hannibal, Exodus and The Counselor.

I think the counselor is extremely underrated and is legit a great movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't understand the love for Alien Covenant and I say that as someone who enjoyed Prometheus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't seen Alien Covenant but I think Ridley Scott is a beautiful bastard whose movies are always enjoyable to watch even if only like 50% of it connects.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Matchstick Men is so weirdly underrated. Every single role is perfectly cast (Altman and McGill in particular are great, and it's the movie that put Sam Rockwell on the map), it has one of Hans Zimmer's best scores, and it's beautifully shot. But for whatever reason, it's an afterthought in Scott's catalog.

I used to hate the way it ended (it felt a little too sappy) but nowadays everything about Roy's redemption feels completely earned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'll even say that I love Hannibal. It's ridiculous in great ways and looks beautiful from start to finish. The dinner scene is incredible too, some people feel like the effect of that specific part of the scene doesn't hold up but the entire build up and everyone's performance (and Liotta's comedic timing) around it is amazing. The movie has a great sense of humor about it in general that I think was a smart direction to take the book's material in since, kind of like with the Xenomorph, I mean Hannibal Lector was played out super fast and "serial killer but supernaturally intelligent/sophisticated in some way instead of just being an rear end in a top hat drifter" was definitely the "monster" of the 90s. Hannibal is a great movie to close out that era.

Like with the Alien series I think it's really cool that we got three great movies (Manhunter, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal) that cover a lot of similar material in the same series with completely different directors and focuses. Shame about Hannibal Rising though. :P I've actually never seen the Red Dragon re-adaptation.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Like with the Alien series I think it's really cool that we got three great movies (Manhunter, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal) that cover a lot of similar material in the same series with completely different directors and focuses. Shame about Hannibal Rising though. :P I've actually never seen the Red Dragon re-adaptation.
It's much more true to the book but a lot ... flatter in its presentation. I still think it's worth seeing, though. It is closer to Hannibal than it is to Hannibal Rising, for sure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

I've actually never seen the Red Dragon re-adaptation.

Red Dragon is just kind of weirdly ... there. I've always said that Ratner's skill is aping other directors, and in Red Dragon he's mimicking Demme's look and feel like there's no tomorrow. Norton is pretty good in it, but Fiennes seems to be sleepwalking and Hopkins' performance is cringeworthy, just stupidly over the top. I will give Danny Elfman points for actually giving a poo poo about the score, though, instead of just lazily recycling poo poo like he was doing throughout the early parts of that decade.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

I'll even say that I love Hannibal. It's ridiculous in great ways and looks beautiful from start to finish. The dinner scene is incredible too, some people feel like the effect of that specific part of the scene doesn't hold up but the entire build up and everyone's performance (and Liotta's comedic timing) around it is amazing. The movie has a great sense of humor about it in general that I think was a smart direction to take the book's material in since, kind of like with the Xenomorph, I mean Hannibal Lector was played out super fast and "serial killer but supernaturally intelligent/sophisticated in some way instead of just being an rear end in a top hat drifter" was definitely the "monster" of the 90s. Hannibal is a great movie to close out that era.

Hannibal loving owned.

Also, Gary Oldman on screen was genuinely hard to stomach. His phone conversation with Ray Liotta was fantastic.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Cacator posted:

I don't understand the love for Alien Covenant and I say that as someone who enjoyed Prometheus.

David's story, and the fact that it's not an Aliens remake; despite loud screeching from fanboys for one. The neomorphs were on point, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

For me, it elucidated the themes of Prometheus and expanded on them in a way that improved that movie significantly. Frankly, I just love the David plot unconditionally; the actual Alien aspects, I could take or leave at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Hannibal loving owned.

Also, Gary Oldman on screen was genuinely hard to stomach. His phone conversation with Ray Liotta was fantastic.

Same. I read Oldman was very dedicated having his makeup be super researched and realistic, like they looked at a lot of recovering people who got completely messed up and made it as close as possible.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Sci-Fi John Wick, ladies and gentlemen:

https://twitter.com/RyanGosling/status/883368726912843776

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm not expecting a film on the original's level, but if in failing to hit that target this new film ends up being a sci-fi John Wick, that wouldn't be so bad. John Wick is fantastically entertaining.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Fresh trailer. Have no idea what it's about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOaI_Fn5o4

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Emetic Hustler posted:

The score sounds better than I expected. Everything also looks great, although seeing Ryan Gosling in a sort of hospital/airport lighting in a Blade Runner movie's just... off.

I'm bothered by the storyline getting blockbuster syndrome and being about the Fate of Mankind. It sounds like there's some kind of mass scale replicant revolution in the works and not-Tyrell's plan is... maybe uploading everyone into replicants so it doesn't matter if the environment's gone to poo poo?

Maybe the plan is to overwrite existing replicants with billions of human consciousnesses, thereby killing the replicants and "stealing" their bodies?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm so loving hyped for this movie.

Future John Wick sounds amazing. Blade Runner is my favorite movie ever beyond any other, so this being a different type of story that could complement it instead of just rehashing stuff would be an ideal thing for me. I don't even mind it having multiple scenes that are during the daytime / not happening during a rainstorm. If they just tried to ape the original, the absolute best case scenario for it would be that it's just a movie that's not as good as Blade Runner, but nothing would be so I'm glad they're clearly trying to have something that's visually in the same world but from a different direction.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Emetic Hustler posted:

I'm getting mixed vibes from this. I'm not digging the - what appears to be - the abundance of daylight scenes in here. Like the poster above, I also don't really care for the incredibly tired plot of saving mankind/the world this film aiming for like superhero film #380247. It just doesn't 'feel' like Blade Runner that much. Maybe it's the marketing?

I'm a huge fan of Dennis Villeneuve, Ridley Scott, and Roger Deakins, so I'll see this regardless. I'm also betting that it's going to be better than most of the films this year anyway; I just hope it has some original plot ideas in it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ugh that stupid "we were being hunted" line that's transparently in there to get some more social media buzz going about Deckard replicant y/n.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I want this to look and sound rad as gently caress, and anything else is gravy. On that front the trailer is promising. As far as plot... ehhhh who knows.

Also I need to go watch the Final Cut on blu-ray again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Emetic Hustler posted:

I've been very down on this movie from the beginning but this trailer looks pretty good to me, honestly.

As for anybody trying to suss out what the story is going to be, trailers like these are so misleading that it could literally be about anything, and are often deliberately cut to appear more action-y.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

exquisite tea posted:

I've been very down on this movie from the beginning but this trailer looks pretty good to me, honestly.

As for anybody trying to suss out what the story is going to be, trailers like these are so misleading that it could literally be about anything, and are often deliberately cut to appear more action-y.

Just like the original! :v:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Emetic Hustler posted:

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it's about "Everybody is or will soon be a replicant so that some variant of humanity has a chance to survive a harsh future Shhhh. Oh...except Deckard, because we want the point of the other movie to be totally lost".

I mean I really want this to be good, but it's got a real Ghost in the Shell vibe of a production company handing off an IP to people who have no clue what to do with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

I mean I really want this to be good, but it's got a real Ghost in the Shell vibe of a production company handing off an IP to people who have no clue what to do with it.

You've got Villanueve and Deakins working on Blade Runner, so if this movie fails it's certainly not going to be through lack of competence. These guys ain't lightweights.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Frankenstyle posted:

You know it's usually good to have an idea what you're talking about when you say stuff like this. Dennis Villenueve and Roger Deakins absolutely know what they are doing.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a lover of the original Blade Runner, I get the feeling from this most recent trailer that I will have a reasonably good time watching this movie under the influence of a variety of substances in an IMAX.

And then never watch it ever again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

You know it's usually good to have an idea what you're talking about when you say stuff like this. Dennis Villenueve and Roger Deakins absolutely know what they are doing.

Yeah there's alot of assumptions there.

What I do know is that there were a bunch of images in that trailer that I want desperately as the background for my computer. GODDAMN that looked pretty.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
NOBODY CAN DEFEAT MY ARMY OF HUMAN-REPLICANT HYBRIDS

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't say "Everyone on this movie is an incompetent buffoon". Even the best surgeon on Earth loses a patient sometimes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zeris posted:

NOBODY CAN DEFEAT MY ARMY OF HUMAN-REPLICANT HYBRIDS

If only Gary Shandling was still alive to play Deckard.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Somebody at Twitter HQ isn't a fan...

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
The new trailer looked really good. I got a lot of good vibes from it. Recently read the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and I was seeing a lot of similarities with Mercerism. At least that's what I felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's definitely going off the rails because clearly the scope of the plot is going to drown out a lot of potential characterization, and will probably fall kinda flat like such things often do :[

• Locked thread