Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

HERAK posted:

Also used to back feed mains from a generator to a house during a power cut, or linking porta-cabins. Both situations where there are better and safer ways to do it.

I have one in my house for a generator. Thankfully, I've only had to use it once.

It wasn't really my choice - when I first moved in we had frequent power outages, sometimes for 24 hours at a time. I was going to get a backup generator installed, but my dad decided to surprise me with a cheap generator and a cable to plug it into my dryer outlet. He used to do the same thing with the generator in his motorhome when the power went out in the house (notably during that days-long blackout in the Northeast years ago). And my dad is not the kind of person I can say, "Thanks, but no thanks" to.

The power's been more stable since they cut down most of the overhanging branches, and it would have been tough to screw things up with it since the cable snaked through most of the house and I had to leave the back door open a crack to use it. But still, scary cable and I'm glad I haven't needed to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Like poor people being paid living wages, taxes, and universal healthcare?

err yeah, sure.

I was more thinking along the lines of ATOMZ and CHEMICALS EVERYWHERE crowd. Humans suck at judging risk.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Like poor people being paid living wages, taxes, and universal healthcare?

More like spending however many hundreds of billions a year to address the negligible number of preventable terrorism deaths.

Nothing funnier than someone in rural Ohio legitimately concerned about how foreign terrorists will impact their safety.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oohhboy posted:

err yeah, sure.

I was more thinking along the lines of ATOMZ and CHEMICALS EVERYWHERE crowd. Humans suck at judging risk.

Enough atoms make a bullet. Makes you stink.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

More like spending however many hundreds of billions a year to address the negligible number of preventable terrorism deaths.

War on terrorism is pretty much war on druges.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hubis posted:

Right. Technically male receptacles do exist -- you might recognize them from the back of your computer/monitor, where that oddly ubiquitous power cable plugs in -- but they're only ever supposed to be used on the *receiving* side of power, so that you can connect a removable power cord to them which has a conventional male end on the other side.

C14 is male, right? It's pretty common for hooking up devices to a UPS but I guess at lesat you have some protection with that one. I think :ohdear:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Widowmakers are legendary in the entertainment industry for some reason (old school 'the show must go on!' bullshit maybe) but despite everyone having stories I've never come across one.

Came across one during a fit up a few years ago, It had been made up by the incompetent :airquote::airquote: chief:airquote::airquote: lx granted it was a slightly non-standard connector but it was for a piece of set and meant to be connected up in the dark If all connected up it would have directly connected 2 rather expensive dimmer packs together. Once me and another tech worked out what the gently caress he'd done it was disassembled and he was slightly bollocked. Thank gently caress he no longer works their .

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/9gpPqsC.gifv

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jeoh posted:

C14 is male, right? It's pretty common for hooking up devices to a UPS but I guess at lesat you have some protection with that one. I think :ohdear:

Right, but the "plug" (C14) should always be on the "downstream" (unpowered) side and "socket" (C13) should always be the "upstream" (supply) side AFAIK

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

JFairfax posted:

live electrical jizz

Where did you get the name of my prog rock Star Wars album???

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

TTerrible posted:

Widowmakers are legendary in the entertainment industry for some reason (old school 'the show must go on!' bullshit maybe) but despite everyone having stories I've never come across one.

Many years ago I worked with a guy doing laser shows and we did some effects work for a TV studio. Their electrician was shocked to discover my boss had wired the 3-phase power supply so that the male plug was hot. He kindly fixed that for us while shaking his head.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gromit posted:

Many years ago I worked with a guy doing laser shows and we did some effects work for a TV studio. Their electrician was shocked to discover my boss had wired the 3-phase power supply so that the male plug was hot. He kindly fixed that for us while shaking his head.

A three phase one is a new level. Nice. :stare:

Honestly, the industry could fill its own OSHA.txt thread. All the headline stage collapses due to bad rigging are the tip of an enormous iceberg.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

MrYenko posted:

Electrical engineering IS an exact science. An alarming number of licensed electricians think electricity is magic, though.

Yeah, I notice that the ones I'd speak to would explain their job as if it's just some luck of the draw that they don't die or burn your house down.

I'd love to learn about electricity and apply it at work. Anything useful for a newbie to read up on?

Also, I vote arc flash for death.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TTerrible posted:

Honestly, the industry could fill its own OSHA.txt thread. All the headline stage collapses due to bad rigging are the tip of an enormous iceberg.

agreed half my friends are in the service industry doing lighting lasers pyro and rigging, the are also naturally on all the drugs pretty much all the time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I'd love to learn about electricity and apply it at work. Anything useful for a newbie to read up on?

is this a benign question or haw haw haw im building a tesla suit question?

I have always loved this one myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

agreed half my friends are in the service industry doing lighting lasers pyro and rigging, the are also naturally on all the drugs pretty much all the time.

Can't think of three things I'd want high people to be loving with less on a gig than pyro, lasers and rigging. :waycool:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TTerrible posted:

Can't think of three things I'd want high people to be loving with less on a gig than pyro, lasers and rigging. :waycool:

you would be stunned at some of the tours these guys RUN.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Once upon a time a contractor replaced the plug on an industrial crane I was comissioning, didn't tell anyone, and wired the chassis PE to a 277v hot leg.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Once upon a time a contractor replaced the plug on an industrial crane I was comissioning, didn't tell anyone, and wired the chassis PE to a 277v hot leg.

Did you post this before? I vaguely remember something about a piece of heavy machinery being wired wrong and starting to weld itself to the bolts used to hold it down.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

shame on an IGA posted:

[muffled 'Shake Hands with Danger' sting in the distance]

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TTerrible posted:

Did you post this before? I vaguely remember something about a piece of heavy machinery being wired wrong and starting to weld itself to the bolts used to hold it down.

Yeah it was maybe 6-7 months ago, thank god for wet concrete.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

THere was a picture of a Hubbell twist lock that had a phase wired to PE. (I think 277V?)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TTerrible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUtmMONI-Q

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

"MY right or YOUR right?"
"STAGE RIGHT!"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

This is the scary stuff. You can't see it, you can't really avoid it. You go to use something and the earthed exterior is live. RIP. :gonk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gromit posted:

Many years ago I worked with a guy doing laser shows and we did some effects work for a TV studio. Their electrician was shocked
:ohdear:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus, that reminds me of that oil-well-pump-checker that got skewered through the giblets to his truck by one of those pipe gates - he was driving into the setting sun & failed to see that the gate had swung across the track. The pipe sealed the wound; they cut the pipe in the cab & took him to the hospital with the pipe in place. He survived.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

"Almost had a ladder fly through my windshield from inside my car and kill the F out of me...........

Remember to not be an idiot like me and to strap things down ......or don't slam on the brakes at least with a step ladder between your two front seats......"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/bilalfarooqui/status/887025375754166272

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I wonder if they named it marvin. :haw:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I once called the city for one of these gates that was swinging loose and would move into the road. There was no way to secure it myself. They called me back 3 days later to clarify where it was.
Good job.

It was also painted black, which made it really visible at speed at night.

notcoryfeldman
Jan 4, 2016
My coworker threw a lighter into the deep fryer last night.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

notcoryfeldman posted:

what happened?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Megabound posted:

Sounds more like DMT than acid. At least the acid I've had is more experiencing geometric visuals and fractals in your surroundings, not full blown hallucinations.

Yeah acid is just drifting and slight distortions, full on level 8A / 8B geometry requires DMT, but you still don't typically get shapes that "can't exist".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JFairfax posted:

what happened?

The French fries tasted really weird.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

notcoryfeldman posted:

On purpose?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Quotes don't mean emphasis!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remember those guys from a couple weeks ago who faked their service reports for the eye-wash station, resulting in a student nearly getting a faceful of rusty water?

Well things move really slowly around here so nothing has happened so far, but the local EH&S guy says he intends to "nail them to the wall." So that oughta be fun.

However, we have a new fun OSHA thing. Some construction work was done to some classrooms last semester -- moving a wall, installing some new partitions, adding light fixtures and plumbing and such. The fire marshal came by late last week and hit the roof, because the alarm system wasn't connected correctly (would not trigger inside the modified classrooms when the building alarm goes off). Then it turned out that not only had the contractors hosed up the alarm, but they never even submitted their plans for approval in the first place, and went ahead with construction without telling anyone. The place where the fire marshal's office is supposed to sign off is just blank.

Now, while we wait for the administration to decide how to fund the repairs, half our department's facilities have nice 11x17 THIS ROOM MAY NOT BE OCCUPIED FOR ANY PURPOSE BY ORDER OF THE FIRE MARSHAL posters front and center :waycool:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I'm still pissed about this.
It's prob not that bad, but Pence isn't the fucker who sees that goddamn ring against the metal and starts sweating bullets trying to figure out if they can resurface it or have to rebuild it in time and under budget. I'm sure they wouldn't leave ultracritical stuff out like that, but honestly none of that kind of poo poo should get hosed with unless you know what you're doing.

Then a couple days later he was all up about putting boots on mars. NASA did not receive additional funding, and is not going to be, as far as I know. They I heard he did it cause someone dared him to. gently caress you dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Of all the things to be mad at Pence about I don't think that's really one of them.