Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Is Loki infected? Is Loki even still in SWL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Capntastic posted:

Wait, really?

I ran through that sort of quick and while there is the dream zone with all the NPCs hanging out trying to murder you I took that to be, well, dream representations of them from other people who got snared in the dream?

Or is there something else I missed?
To expand on the reasoning the fog is an airborne strain of the filth. It's infected literally everything (including the drinking water supply) and everyone who has breathed the air since it rolled in on Solomon Island is eventually going to turn into filth monsters and kill and infect those who hadn't succumbed yet. It's kind of a neat departure from most RPGs where it's all 'you helped them and everything is back to normal and one of the things I like so much about the setting.

Variable Haircut posted:

He's still around and I think the various immortals/bees need an absolute ton of filth exposure before they get infected so he's probably fine.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 16, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Variable Haircut posted:

Pretty sure he got decapitated by a magic sword.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mercurius posted:

To expand on the reasoning the fog is an airborne strain of the filth. It's infected literally everything (including the drinking water supply) and everyone who has breathed the air since it rolled in on Solomon Island is eventually going to turn into filth monsters and kill and infect those who hadn't succumbed yet. It's kind of a neat departure from most RPGs where it's all 'you helped them and everything is back to normal and one of the things I like so much about the setting.

He's still around and I think the various immortals/bees need an absolute ton of filth exposure before they get infected so he's probably fine.

That means Carter is also likely fine, since she's a bee.

Uhhh anyway is SWL worth it if I just want to see the story again? Or do bugs/f2p stuff/etc make even that more trouble than it's worth?

Edit: And, if so, what weapons/build/whatever would be best for this? I hugely messed up my build in original TSW and had a miserable time from Transylvania onwards.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 16, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capntastic posted:

What's up with your fukken avatar and title combo dude it's a heinous look

Present from a mystery benefactor in Auspol.

It can be confusing because there are a handful of us with them.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Amante posted:

Nah. He just got kicked in the head and knocked out. The Illuminati pick him up and lock him in an asylum.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Empress Theonora posted:

I don't think Carter is a bee... just magically strong.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Amante posted:

That never sticks.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tallgeese posted:

I don't think Carter is a bee... just magically strong.

I haven't played in a while, obviously, but IIRC she directly mentioned swallowing a bee, warned you about the bad dreams you start getting as a bee, etc.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh. You're probably right then.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Theonora posted:

I haven't played in a while, obviously, but IIRC she directly mentioned swallowing a bee, warned you about the bad dreams you start getting as a bee, etc.

Huh. Completely missed that - should probably replay all her missions.

Also Cassandra King survives (there was a dossier on her in a morninglight investigation mission later in game) but there used to be acres of speculation threads about what she actually was on the old official forums.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 16, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

Huh. Completely missed that - should probably replay all her missions.

Also Cassandra King survives (there was a dossier on her in a morninglight investigation mission later in game) but there used to be acres of speculation threads about what she actually was on the old official forums.

She was at least intended to be a player because KG said they were going to try and recruit her

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I need a good healer to go ahead and defect from the garbage cabal Nixon is running so I can start doing lairs. I can survive the hits now but not for very long with my hybrid tank/heal build. I also have no idea how some of the people in agartha have 250 Item power. Its got to be at least everything purple and level 25 which is a tall order this early in the release. 130 Item power is roughly with all maxed out blue talismans and glyphs with purple weapons. Unless Signets add a fuckload of item power I don't see it being anything less.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DancingShade posted:

It's ok, we can jerk each other off behind the bike shed in secret over all the bad things later.

You better keep to that :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I will never get tired of the pub defense for /stuck being broken "you're constantly falling so the game thinks you can move. /stuck only helps if you're stationary just anima leap"

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

One single time back in TSW /stuck worked for me and I was awestruck. Never happened again.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Len posted:

I will never get tired of the pub defense for /stuck being broken "you're constantly falling so the game thinks you can move. /stuck only helps if you're stationary just anima leap"

I actually did get stuck on a buggy ladder once. I typed /stuck... and it just floated me away from the latter. I was still unable to move and it told me I was fine the second time I tried. :v:

Allatum fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 17, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, as far as the bees/immortals go, they'd practically have to be guzzling filth and bathing in it to get infected. As far as the rest of Kingsmouth, I though it was more along the lines of considering how the filth was mutating along with Orochi tampering, there really wasn't an idea what effects were going to play out other than knowing everyone's infected to some degree and considering what was known about the rate of infection, assume everyone dies or at least ends up five shades of hosed up in some degree. Considering how much of a downer stuff tends to be, it's reasonable to presume, filth oozed-everyone dies.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

Which is true... right until you get stuck in a dungeon, and then you're hosed.

...on that note, why don't dungeon anima wells work like normal ones, again? because funcom

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fata Padurii change is unacceptable.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I like playing dress-up

Ready for the sequel to The World Ends With You.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Today was a good day in SWL. I've been taking it slow and leveling with the gf so I avoided the mad rush to 50, which I finally hit today. We're most of the way through SD and today we experienced the text game that everyone talks so much about. Since we're doing everything blind and avoiding guides, it was an interesting experience and took us around 3 hours to complete. The fact that the text maps also work in the game world was a pretty fun revelation, though the riddle about boone took us almost an hour to figure out. We just completed the arabic to hebrew puzzle for maybe-Moses, which was easy once we figured out we could skip translating the arabic and just pick plagues. The final one was kind of BS since the mummies close in on you in about 20s so you have to already have the phrase pulled up and ready to punch in, which I did not do.

I feel like the investigation missions have gotten easier since Kingsmouth. I hope there's a decent challenge lying ahead.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Richard M Nixon posted:

Today was a good day in SWL. I've been taking it slow and leveling with the gf so I avoided the mad rush to 50, which I finally hit today. We're most of the way through SD and today we experienced the text game that everyone talks so much about. Since we're doing everything blind and avoiding guides, it was an interesting experience and took us around 3 hours to complete. The fact that the text maps also work in the game world was a pretty fun revelation, though the riddle about boone took us almost an hour to figure out. We just completed the arabic to hebrew puzzle for maybe-Moses, which was easy once we figured out we could skip translating the arabic and just pick plagues. The final one was kind of BS since the mummies close in on you in about 20s so you have to already have the phrase pulled up and ready to punch in, which I did not do.

I feel like the investigation missions have gotten easier since Kingsmouth. I hope there's a decent challenge lying ahead.

It's kind of weird since a few of the really good Kingsmouth things were added in as issues. There's some other neat stuff later, especially in London

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mercurius posted:

Huh. What about the Wabanaki? I don't think I've seen even one of them beyond the fog. Che is dead too, I assume?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sekenr posted:

Huh. What about the Wabanaki? I don't think I've seen even one of them beyond the fog. Che is dead too, I assume?

Well you see Che is basically the Morninglight version of you and you'll see a bit more of him in Tokyo thanks to your new best friend, John, who is basically an all round really great guy.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Empress Theonora posted:

Uhhh anyway is SWL worth it if I just want to see the story again? Or do bugs/f2p stuff/etc make even that more trouble than it's worth?

Edit: And, if so, what weapons/build/whatever would be best for this? I hugely messed up my build in original TSW and had a miserable time from Transylvania onwards.

You can tear through all the normal content as a pure f2p character. Hammer is probably the best for solo ownage. Paring it with anything at all should easily see you through the content, though another weapon with high defense or self sustain like chaos/shotgun/fist is probably ideal. Chaos and shotgun work perfectly fine as a secondary or main, unlike some other weapons that have fiddly mechanics. You really only need to give funcom money if you want to have an easier time progressing in the end game power grind, and even then it's not really necessary just advised.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Play the auction house, buy aurum.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Sekenr posted:

Well, Old Joseph says that they lost nobody to the initial fog and that they warded themselves from here to Hell so presumably they would survive. Darkness War also mentions a fog during the Mayan invasion 1000 years ago and it did not do for the Wabanaki then, either.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Capntastic posted:

Play the auction house, buy aurum.

That's what I've been doing. I started off early (I just had to look pretty), but I mean, eventually what else is there to do with all that Favour than buy Aurum and wardrobe items?

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 17, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

That's what I've been doing. I started off early (I just had to look pretty), but I mean, eventually what else is there to do with all that Favour than buy Aurum and wardrobe items?

That's a good point. What is there to spend the currencies on in game? Shards for upgrading and the Museum, Marks for clothes and sprints, and Aurum for anything.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Shards will be the future frontier of grinding efforts

Marks are for marks.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Wow, the cabal bank was full last night and now it's at 44/84. Try to be courteous when grabbing items.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Richard M Nixon posted:

Wow, the cabal bank was full last night and now it's at 44/84. Try to be courteous when grabbing items.

Might have been someone clearing out mk 1 junk to make room for more stuff?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

Might have been someone clearing out mk 1 junk to make room for more stuff?

As long as they go towards someone upgrading poo poo and not making money, that's what it's there for. It's just odd to see so much go at once.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

You would think a bank activity log or any of a dozen permission schemes would be implemented but alas

I think about how Agartha is set up with the banks and nightclub and restaurant and how only one ever has people clustered around it

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Funcom has the same audit controls as Enron.

I think it's a shadow raid by agents of drinkfist. Someone keeps faxing me beecock also. Related?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Sit by your phone with a tape recorder in case an elite operative flushdials you

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Capntastic posted:

You would think a bank activity log or any of a dozen permission schemes would be implemented but alas

I think about how Agartha is set up with the banks and nightclub and restaurant and how only one ever has people clustered around it

Well there is a "can withdraw items" option in the ranks.

new dev team seems pretty laid back.

Tron Quixote - Today at 12:06 PM
We lost him
To our biggest competitor
Tron Quixote - Today at 12:07 PM
Clicker Heroes
EvilBillMurray - Today at 12:07 PM
clicker heroes wants less of my money though so i can see why they get a leg up

and I didn't get banned or anything.

Len fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 17, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Can I get a guild invite for my alt, Pandelirium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Man, this game might not really be "scary" in the way something like Alien Isolation is (having your character be literally, canonically immortal for all in-game intents and purposes doesn't allow much tension) but goddamn does it do a good job at just at being legitimately unnerving a lot of the time. Most of the enemy designs are genuinely unpleasant to look at, and even more unpleasant to listen to, jesus christ do I hate fighting the filth, or familiars, or zombies, or just generally hanging around areas with them because every minute I spend listening to those weird screeches is another minute closer to my ear holes finally getting sent to hell.

Like, real talk, what the hell is the source of that hosed up distorted babbling you can hear by Wolf in The Savage Coast? It seems to be something unique to the area, 'cause it doesn't sound like any of the enemies and I don't hear it anywhere else in the zone; but it just makes me. Not want to be there.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 17, 2017