Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gotcha, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If I ever had stupid amounts of space and money I could see having a "workshop" kitchen where all your Urban Homesteading projects happen (slowly losing what precious kitchen space we have to Large Brontosaurus's diy yogurt and charcuterie and sourdough starter and homemade pickles) and a smaller one for microwaving Trader Joe's curries on "gently caress it" days.

Hello :D

So, to the left of my main kitchen there is a pantry which has the washing machine and a counter top at one end. Large appliances like the mixer and and bread maker are stored here, along with hoover and the ironing board. Other end of the pantry is a huge walk in cupboard made out of the under stairs space. All of this used to be for coal storage but at some point was converted.

Instead of having units round all the walls and an island in the middle, the main kitchen is split in half. Left half is units/cooker/sink/fridge/freezer in a square with a gap leading on to the right hand side of the kitchen. Front of the right hand section is a dining table and corner cabinet. Behind that is a proper diy workbench with two built in vices and everything.

Workbench has been a great buy, I built a hinged top for it out of thick plywood so it can be extended to about 7ft so the kids can sit round it on bar stools and make as much mess and hurt the surface as much as they like.,

Edit: none of this cost much money as the units were cheap, it's just made possible by not putting a socking great big island in.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Do you see anything... strange about this listing?

Seriously the first few pics are bland as hell, then you see the interior and it's just unsettling. And then you start to see... those. It's an entire horror movie in a slideshow format on a real estate site. The loving trike, okay

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

elise the great posted:

Seriously the first few pics are bland as hell, then you see the interior and it's just unsettling. And then you start to see... those. It's an entire horror movie in a slideshow format on a real estate site. The loving trike, okay

Jesus gently caress this is legit creeping me out. Everyone click on this.
I feel like I'm reading a really creepy SCP article or something, like an evil house that is colonized by extra-dimensional mannequins that also turn you into a mannequin if you make eye contact with them for too long. And holy poo poo the clutter, so much clutter.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

elise the great posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
They're hoarders, right? It looks like stepping into an antique store that used to be an old house, so vestiges of each room's intended use are visible but every space is crammed with stuff to be sold.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't get it? It's a lovely house. You should come visit when you have the chance. Flights are cheap. You should come visit. It's such a nice house.

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus gently caress this is legit creeping me out. Everyone click on this.
I feel like I'm reading a really creepy SCP article or something, like an evil house that is colonized by extra-dimensional mannequins that also turn you into a mannequin if you make eye contact with them for too long. And holy poo poo the clutter, so much clutter.

Reminds me more of those old 'I Spy' books. I'm still fond of those things, and how neatly set up the photos were to find stuff.

Fantastic! And the realtor website has their own version of I Spy!

"This is a view of the upstairs game room. Notice the up-lighting on the second layer of the coved ceiling. This room also has a wet bar with fridge. There is a wall of bookshelves, and cabinets."

"Can you spy a 'howling wolf', the words 'BEHAVE', an unknown animals skin, a red billiard ball?" [I'm not even kidding, there's the words BEHAVE over the doorway on the left. What the gently caress.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rabbit Hill posted:

They're hoarders, right? It looks like stepping into an antique store that used to be an old house, so vestiges of each room's intended use are visible but every space is crammed with stuff to be sold.
Yeah, my reaction to the pics was "normal, normal, okay this is looking like a hoarder house that didn't get cleaned out before photos, and...oh, hi mannequins."

It's better if you view the slideshow with realtor's comments, since she pointedly ignores that there's anything wrong here:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I showed this to my sister, who suggests perhaps the house is for the dolls and claims no human has ever lived here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But didn't you see the listing? Clearly an ARTIST lives there.

After all, someone has to make all the dolls...

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I just noticed the sign saying "BEHAVE" in the upper left corner.

...I think they were trying to be funny but :yikes:

efb

WrenP-Complete posted:

I showed this to my sister, who suggests perhaps the house is for the dolls and claims no human has ever lived here.

It genuinely does look like it's a storage house for hoarders and not an inhabited home -- how could anyone use that bathroom or kitchen? There's too much stuff everywhere that would have to be moved around just as you go about your day.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 17, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Haifisch posted:

But didn't you see the listing? Clearly an ARTIST lives there.

After all, someone has to make all the dolls...
Maybe the artist *is* a doll.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
"Unfortunately," writes the realtor, surveying the master bedroom, "the art goes with the artist."

Pro tip: go back to the second picture and see if you noticed that guy by the gate the first time.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, this once again makes me think something I think every time I read this thread -- how does one go about cultivating good taste in design? Especially when everyone thinks their taste is good whether it is or not?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

elise the great posted:

"Unfortunately," writes the realtor, surveying the master bedroom, "the art goes with the artist."

Pro tip: go back to the second picture and see if you noticed that guy by the gate the first time.
It's like a horror cut where the monster appears out of nowhere. :stonk:

Rabbit Hill posted:

Also, this once again makes me think something I think every time I read this thread -- how does one go about cultivating good taste in design? Especially when everyone thinks their taste is good whether it is or not?
My design philosophy is "buy what looks nice to you as long as it goes with whatever you already have, and don't let your place get too cluttered." It's worked out so far. :v:

Honestly just reading about it and looking at pictures helps. I'd take home decor/design blogs with a grain of salt though, since a lot of them pump out stuff that looks gorgeous in a staged picture but wouldn't be remotely practical to live in(or would be too expensive for normal people to afford).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rabbit Hill posted:

That's a great question. I think it's like every other artistic discipline - you need to understand fundamental concepts like color theory, line, and form. For interior design I'd add in study of textiles and materials, so you know the difference between wool and jute in rugmaking and can tell hardwood from veneer from pressboard. You need to study the history of your discipline, not only so you have more exposure to good design, but so you can recognize and interpret references to the past - the influence of Egyptian art in the 1920s, for instance. Then you need to practice the art, so you can understand the limitations of material and fabrication and get comfortable with criticism and self-editing.

Go to museums, read books, but also practice training your eye whenever you're in an intentionally-decorated space, whether you think it's good or bad. Can you spot any influences, motifs, or references? What's the color palette? Can you spot the primary and accent colors? Do they compliment or contrast? What period is the furniture from, or trying to look like it's from? How are people intended to use this space? Does the design help or hinder that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Understanding the "why" of so many design elements is really good too. So many things in design stemmed out of practical origins, which were then iterated on a thousand times until it simply became a "decoration" or "that's just a thing you do if you want it to look fancy" but by knowing the history of design, and the often practical origins, you can much better know when and where to use it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Understanding the "why" of so many design elements is really good too. So many things in design stemmed out of practical origins, which were then iterated on a thousand times until it simply became a "decoration" or "that's just a thing you do if you want it to look fancy" but by knowing the history of design, and the often practical origins, you can much better know when and where to use it.
One good example of this is window shutters. Originally, they were needed for temperature and light control. Now they're not, but they still look off if they're too big or too small for the window.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

elise the great posted:

I did, but I thought, hey, maybe it's for scale so people don't think it's a big gate?

Did you notice this warning from the owner?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I live in a city with one of the largest collection of victorian era homes. The "Pink Palace" is the crown and an ex brothel and it's now for sale. The interior is lovely and has been kept in amazing shape. I hate the kitchen cabinets though! It's a 6bd 4ba for an easy $735,000

Full listing
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1473-Saint-James-Ct-Louisville-KY-40208/73587406_zpid/?fullpage=true

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 17, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I love the caption on this one. I imagine the realtor receiving photos or going there with a camera and just kinda sighing.

Edit: man, that house really is weirdly unsettling.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Like that staircase. Just the right shape for the blossoming mill owner's daughter to pause half way down as the front door opens and she catches sight of the scruffy dog catcher past the disapproving glare of Gerund the butler in some BBC period drama.

Edit: I actually like the staircase

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cheese eats mouse posted:

I live in a city with one of the largest collection of victorian era homes. The "Pink Palace" is the crown and an ex brothel and it's now for sale. The interior is lovely and has been kept in amazing shape. I hate the kitchen cabinets though! It's a 6bd 4ba for an easy $735,000

Don't doxx my apartment's cabinets.

Man I really need to clean that floor.

I don't hate them, but they're a lot more appropriate for an apartment than an otherwise nice victorian home like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That Victorian house I like, most all the houses I "grew up in" as in my friend's houses were mostly all early 1900 houses with stained glass and really nice woodworking and tons of built-ins.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

elise the great posted:

I stopped halfway through because I instantly convinced myself that, if I clicked all the way to the end, I would be the victim of a terrible curse.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have pull outs for pots and pans and dishes, and I store my dishes upright in them. I'd rather have a more open kitchen than fill it with massive shelves on every surface.

gently caress those haters, portlandhouse is awesome and better than the sad, generic suburban house it replaced.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Baronjutter posted:

That Victorian house I like, most all the houses I "grew up in" as in my friend's houses were mostly all early 1900 houses with stained glass and really nice woodworking and tons of built-ins.

We have a ton of shotgun homes with original word flooring built in that era. I really want to nab one that's been updated because they're energy efficient and built before a/c so you can really leverage the design to use your windows on nice spring and fall days. Thankfully most of these houses are respected for their craftsmanship and the built ins and original hard wood and trim are all desirable to home buyers here. Some are in bad shape and need the gut job. :(

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 17, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These are what a good chunk of the houses in my area look like, some are still huge private homes, others are apartments/condos that have been chunked up in variously effective ways. So many of them are still quite nice inside, others are a horrific blend of 1900's wood paneling, 1950's stucco and kitchens, 1970's fluorescent lighting, and random out of place modern stuff.

This was one of the worst and I wish I took more pictures. But that's the original stairwell, a mid-century reno that put horrible acoustic-tile like ceilings everywhere (and suspended ceilings in others) and horrible carpet that was last updated in the early 80's. They also had a big ugly fluorescent light ruining the grand entry.

Oh poo poo here's another one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That interior looks like a fraternity house, minus the beer stains, holes in walls, and cigarette burns everywhere of course.

e. Judging from the deadbolts and house numbers, I'm assuming that is an apartment building or condo? Explains the lazy and cheap common space decor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apartments... with shared bathroom.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Growing up in Detroit with friends in Indian Village definitely ruined newer houses for me. I loved going to visit friends and they live in places like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2170-Iroquois-St-Detroit-MI-48214/88565873_zpid/?fullpage=true

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Meanwhile if you go out into Detroit's burbs a little bit, you run into a lot of lots of tract developments from the pre-mcmansion era like this or this.The first one is a dead ringer for one of my cousin's houses.

Between the smaller size and the general housing price depression in the area, they're astonishingly affordable without looking like poo poo(usually). You couldn't pay me to live over there, but I do appreciate the prevalence of houses that feel more normal-sized. Or "starter homes" as realtors have decided to call them these days.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

elise the great posted:

I'm sick and lying in bed reading the forums, and I'm not convinced this isn't out of some delirium-induced fever dream.

Also, I've been watching a shitton of "Criminal Minds" on Netflix lately (don't judge, okay? In not proud) and this house would not be out of place in an episode about a serial killer with abandonment issues who turns his victims into mannequins to replace the family and friends he never had.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

elise the great posted:

The "artist's studio" has "tile floors for easy cleanup." What's the over/under on murders committed in that room? Like, five?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This MCM house is awesome

But idk what to think about the open-plan bathroom situation

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You missed these very important saloon doors.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haifisch posted:

You missed these very important saloon doors.

That's a different bedroom. There are two bedrooms shown with open bathrooms. Here's the other one

I think those saloon doors separate two other bedrooms or a bedroom and an office. It's a big house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

elise the great posted:

Why... why would you stage a house like that? Much less live in it?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Antivehicular posted:

The "artist's studio" has "tile floors for easy cleanup." What's the over/under on murders committed in that room? Like, five?

You are the first person I've ever seen on this site to use "over/under" properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

This is our skinning room...cough cough, I mean this is our crafts room. For painting and such. Easy clean up!