Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

laptops with old tyme hard drives have an accelerometer in them to park the drive's head if it detects it's falling

i wouldnt be surprised if mine has something like that, ive got extremely lovely hdd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
those fall sensors usually require a windows driver too, and it's always the biggest pain in the rear end to get working in an image for some reason

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's that exploding bit and the accelerometer about, again?

when an accelerometer detects a device in freefall it automatically shuts down the hdd preventing it from spinning while it hits the floor

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

The_Franz posted:

do the windows update drivers still not include opengl or vulkan support like on win7 and 8?

no idea m8

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

when an accelerometer detects a device in freefall it automatically shuts down the hdd preventing it from spinning while it hits the floor

let the platters hit the floor

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dodoman posted:

let the platters hit the floor

burning swine
May 26, 2004

The_Franz posted:

do the windows update drivers still not include opengl or vulkan support like on win7 and 8?

no but you should still never use windows update to get gfx card drivers because who the gently caress knows what you're getting

i.e. if you have an nvidia card and windows updates your driver, congratulations now you have the geforce experience installed and running on startup because we live in a hell dimension where install packages aren't meant to be run unattended and the default options are the inverse of what a sane person would actually want

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

on the other hand running signed drivers from windows update means that someone's at least looked at it and there won't be any catastrophic is...

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

June security patches hosed poo poo up so badly that they've released/are releasing two out-of-band patches to fix it, lol.

Fun stuff like:

Printing in IE 11 comes out blank
Printing in IE 11 brings up a 404 error
Attachments in Outlook will be marked as unsafe and blacklisted if it has more than one . in succession or an exclamation point
And so on

What a shitshow

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-known-issues-in-the-June-2017-security-updates-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b

... ohh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

no but you should still never use windows update to get gfx card drivers because who the gently caress knows what you're getting

i.e. if you have an nvidia card and windows updates your driver, congratulations now you have the geforce experience installed and running on startup because we live in a hell dimension where install packages aren't meant to be run unattended and the default options are the inverse of what a sane person would actually want

this is specifically what does not happen with windows update, microsoft forces driver makers to make a version with no additional software added for the pupose

which is to some extent also why you don't get vulkan or physx or anything else which is not a windows driver, and why you will almost invariably get a rather old driver (since the trouble is not taken for every minor version)

e: i mean, unless something has vastly changed *very* recently, but i don't believe so

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

those fall sensors usually require a windows driver too, and it's always the biggest pain in the rear end to get working in an image for some reason

I never would have imagined that "if fall then stop" required a driver and waiting for the OS

the majesty of modern computer

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
laptops still come with spinny drives? im so sorry

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

yeah, people still use them on desktops too. what a shame.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

I never would have imagined that "if fall then stop" required a driver and waiting for the OS

the majesty of modern computer

the accelerometer is a separate part from the hard disk so something has to connect tab A to slot B

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightbulb Out posted:

it's going to be super cool in a few years when everyone who adopted ssds for home use can no longer use their computers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

it's going to be super cool in a few years when everyone who adopted ssds for home use can no longer use their computers

this statement doesn't make no sense

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

this statement doesn't make no sense

i'll explain: ssds have a limited write capacity and eventually become unusable for anything other than read activities, given that they are intended for enterprise use in servers where they hold a static image that can be served up multiple times rapidly but requires little to no write activity

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a few years, aka a decade

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol like that'll happen before the laptop is trash or trashed

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's already happening to people who bought ssds a few years ago

gosh it's almost as if all of the shills who said the write capacity issues would never be encountered were lying to drive consumer ssd sales

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lightbulb Out posted:

i have a 5400 spinner on a 2014 laptop

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

i'll explain: ssds have a limited write capacity and eventually become unusable for anything other than read activities, given that they are intended for enterprise use in servers where they hold a static image that can be served up multiple times rapidly but requires little to no write activity

give me an example of anyone actually hitting this read/write limit

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

some kind of future dystopia where storage manufacturers are all gone and small children can only play what's currently installed on my computer, deus ex, modded diablo 2, or ffx on a buggy ps2 emulator is funny to think about though.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

give me an example of anyone actually hitting this read/write limit

sure hold on a sec while i exert any effort at all to do your work for you

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because rotational drives dont fail. are you really this loving stupid stymie lol (yes)

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Lightbulb Out posted:

they're useful if you like to actually store things on your laptop

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the biggest problems so far have been the early bugs. the samsung one and hte intel one, and ocz being just bad overall

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

because rotational drives dont fail. are you really this loving stupid stymie lol (yes)

not if you actually take care of your devices they don't

it's kind of weird how frequently spinny drives fail for people who never bother to clean their computers to ensure they ventilate properly

i'm sure it's just coincidence and the solution is to buy hardware that have pre-defined lifespans by the manufacturer because at least then you'll know it's coming

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is a fantastically mundane stymie derail, why don't you guys bite on some funnier statement instead?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah, dont forget to change the oil in your hard drives

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/

"Two standout conclusions from the study. First, that MLC drives are as reliable as the more costly SLC "enteprise" drives. This mirrors hard drive experience, where consumer SATA drives have been found to be as reliable as expensive SAS and Fibre Channel drives."

"The paper's second major conclusion, that age, not use, correlates with increasing error rates, means that over-provisioning for fear of flash wearout is not needed. None of the drives in the study came anywhere near their write limits, even the 3,000 writes specified for the MLC drives.

But it isn't all good news. SSD UBER rates are higher than disk rates, which means that backing up SSDs is even more important than it is with disks. The SSD is less likely to fail during its normal life, but more likely to lose data."

tldr Stymied again
only an idiot would choose a hdd with 5% of the performance because of this

sounds like a checksumming file system is a good idea though and mirroring for your critical datas

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when the most exciting prospect of the debate is mtbf tables you know you are having a bad night

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
don't quote stymie, especially when it's an obvious troll

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

stymie's position on ssds is my favorite part of stymie

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

r u ready to WALK posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/

"Two standout conclusions from the study. First, that MLC drives are as reliable as the more costly SLC "enteprise" drives. This mirrors hard drive experience, where consumer SATA drives have been found to be as reliable as expensive SAS and Fibre Channel drives."

"The paper's second major conclusion, that age, not use, correlates with increasing error rates, means that over-provisioning for fear of flash wearout is not needed. None of the drives in the study came anywhere near their write limits, even the 3,000 writes specified for the MLC drives.

But it isn't all good news. SSD UBER rates are higher than disk rates, which means that backing up SSDs is even more important than it is with disks. The SSD is less likely to fail during its normal life, but more likely to lose data."

tldr Stymied again
only an idiot would choose a hdd with 5% of the performance because of this

sounds like a checksumming file system is a good idea though and mirroring for your critical datas

oh cool, so you don't have to worry about the drives wearing out earlier than normal hdds because of hitting the write limit, you have to worry about the drives dying earlier because of lovely tech, with the added bonus of losing 100% of what's stored on the drive when it does fail

i'm glad we got that cleared up

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
that's our stymie! :razz:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

sure hold on a sec while i exert any effort at all to do your work for you

yeah like backing up your silly claims lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

yeah like backing up your silly claims lol

this isn't d&d my dude, i don't gotta back up poo poo, i just have to be correct

you ought to back up frequently, however, because your ssd is a ticking time bomb of data loss

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

for some masochistic reason i want fishmech to come in here and debate stymie on SSDs

• Locked thread