Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zaphod42 posted:

If its like that then there's zero reason not to take it, and we'll see lists like "raven guard + inquisitors + blood angels" or some stupid poo poo like that.

Makes sense to me that the entire army list would have to have <CHAPTER> to qualify. And doing so would help balance how unfair it is that every Imperial is buddy-buddy but Xenos are on their own. We'll see I guess.

They don't want to balance that - they want to encourage allies and even two chapters allying. That said, they don't want it to be as easy as "every unit gets to pick the tactic that is best for them", so I assume it'll be detachment, like Ynnari is now - if your detachment is 100% CHAPTER you get to take that chapters tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Does the fluff really mention, "solar minutes" or is that just 40k Wikia trash?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm expecting them to make chapter tactics work like canticles does, where the whole detachment has to have the chapter keyword for it to work, but you're still able to put in a patrol detachment of guard or whatever.

If they don't do it that way then there'll still be no reason to not use 40 point guard squads to fill out a marine brigade.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

chutche2 posted:

I'm expecting them to make chapter tactics work like canticles does, where the whole detachment has to have the chapter keyword for it to work, but you're still able to put in a patrol detachment of guard or whatever.

If they don't do it that way then there'll still be no reason to not use 40 point guard squads to fill out a marine brigade.

Kill point missions and never going first aren't enough?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Pendent posted:

Wait a second. Won't the Hard to Hit rule on flyers and this new Raven Guard tactic stack? Man, talk about Stormraven supremacy...

In the Redemptor article they specifically mentioned that Chapter Tactics applies only to infantry,bikers,and dreads so no. The only evidence I've seen to the contrary is a slightly cheeky comment the FB team made in response to someone asking how a dread and other vehicles could be stealthy.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheLawinator posted:

Kill point missions and never going first aren't enough?

1 eternal war mission and 0 maelstrom missions have kill points.

If you're trying to make a brigade for the 12 CP you're going to have the same number of units whether they're guard or marines, having some of them be disposable guard means you can invest way more points into marine good stuff rather than spamming 5 model bolter squads.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I should post a fuller rundown of it, but here's my review of DC/Baltimore Ham Slam Part 1: a dude deployed 69 guardsmen and everyone shouted "NICE", and then I woke up on the couch at 6AM and instantly puked. 5/5 would goon slam again.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Did they confirm anywhere if successor chapters use the same tactics as their parent chapters? Trying to decide between Raptors and Raven Guard :v

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Can't you play them however the gently caress you want?

These are my Untramarines. They are Dark Angels who paint there armor blue due to their deep shame from the Horus Heresy.

These are my Dark Angeles, they are imperial fists fighting on a dark green jungle planet.

I like that my Howling Griffons are a successor chapter. I plan on using them as Ultramarines, or whatever else fits my army selection of the day.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

I should post a fuller rundown of it, but here's my review of DC/Baltimore Ham Slam Part 1: a dude deployed 69 guardsmen and everyone shouted "NICE", and then I woke up on the couch at 6AM and instantly puked. 5/5 would goon slam again.

Don't forget the part where I hid scribbles of dicks all over your house

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

dexefiend posted:

Can't you play them however the gently caress you want?

These are my Untramarines. They are Dark Angels who paint there armor blue due to their deep shame from the Horus Heresy.

These are my Dark Angeles, they are imperial fists fighting on a dark green jungle planet.

I like that my Howling Griffons are a successor chapter. I plan on using them as Ultramarines, or whatever else fits my army selection of the day.

It matters if you want to use Raven Guard chapter tactics but a Raptors special character.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I'm gonna paint my dudes like bees and use whatever chapter tactics seem fun and cool. :c00lbert:

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Finally got to play my first 8th game, 250 points of Astral Claws vs his Ad Mech strictly fighting to the death to start getting a feel for the new rules. I brought 2 tac squads with a heavy bolter each and a power sword wielding captain against a tech priest dominus and a squad each of vanguards and rangers. I was somewhat disheartened when an entire squad was deleted top of turn one while I ineffectively returned fire, felt a lot like every game we played in the 7-8 months we played 7th where no matter what Nid or SM list I brought seemed to get tabled by about turn 3 by both his Ad Mech and our other buddy's Tau. Second turn went much the same with the other squad being mostly wiped an a couple wounds put on the captain, but then on the third turn my captain was able to counter-charge his dominus and blend him instantly, then consolidate most of the way to the surviving squad of rangers. On my turn, the captain tore through 4 members of that squad, with the 5th fleeing due to morale.

Despite my initial 'Oh no, not again,' it was a fun game by the end. I can definitely see how with better saves on my part, you get a game where whoever's turn it is is clearly the one winning and matches come down to the wire at the end, which is a vast improvement in my opinion. I learned 30" rapid fire guns still suck to footslog into, and he learned tech priests aren't as durable as they used to be. He said he was basically counting on taking a wound or two going in and then being able to regen it, and he wasn't expecting for the captain to have 5 wounds either. We're both really excited to get more games in, there's 5 of us who are starting an escalation campaign tomorrow night, starting at 250 and increasing by 100 every other week until we hit 1750 and using a lot of the rules TheChirurgeon posted early in the thread.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

Didn't even plan it. My 500 pt list just ended up with that many. I never got to deploy them though as my 1k doesn't have such shamefully small numbers.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Pendent posted:

Wait a second. Won't the Hard to Hit rule on flyers and this new Raven Guard tactic stack? Man, talk about Stormraven supremacy...

Literally the first place my group went. 6 ravens and Shrike (who deep strikes into the center of them after moving) rerolling hits.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Naramyth posted:

Literally the first place my group went. 6 ravens and Shrike (who deep strikes into the center of them after moving) rerolling hits.

The other article about Ultras implied that all chapter tactics only apply to infantry, bikers, and dreadnoughts.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Another image dump for my Imperial Fists photographed in my new lightbox:

Razorback (B):

From way back in the thread, but what's your process for these guys? That's exactly the look I want to use for my 'construction vehicle/mining' themed GSC army for the rockgrinders, tanks, etc.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well that would be an interesting chapter.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The other article about Ultras implied that all chapter tactics only apply to infantry, bikers, and dreadnoughts.

:downs:

When that dropped this weekend I had to keep reminding people that razorbacks won't get it because of those restrictions.

I'm good at this game, I swear.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Aren't most Imperial vehicles essentially rolling coal at all times anyways?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

jadebullet posted:

They have a bitter rivalry with the Planeteers chapter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hams:"Jesus that ultramarines chapter tactic is ridiculous, no one else is gonna get anything that good. Wrap it up fuckers."

Baltimore Ravens: "Hold my beer."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just got bamboozled by GW. I picked up a Razorback to specifically run an Assault Cannon on it. Turns out there isn't one in the box.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hams:"Jesus that ultramarines chapter tactic is ridiculous, no one else is gonna get anything that good. Wrap it up fuckers."

Baltimore Ravens: "Hold my beer."

I don't think it's as OP as you believe it is. Tau can already field armies of units that always give a negative penalty to hit and they aren't seen as OP

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Floppychop posted:

I just got bamboozled by GW. I picked up a Razorback to specifically run an Assault Cannon on it. Turns out there isn't one in the box.

I know what that's like.

https://bitsofwar.com/home/498-legionary-apc-turret-twin-minigun.html

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I can't believe I've never thought of making Baltimore Raven Guard.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The One, True Razorback Turret

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

I've been running mine with las+plas a lot recently and I've been liking it a lot, yeah. I haven't been using a lot of heavy AT weapons so the lascannon helps, and 4 plasma shots + 4 storm bolter shots is pretty solid. Just never try overheating it.

https://bitsofwar.com/home/497-legionary-apc-turret-lascannon-with-twin-plasma-gun.html

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Floppychop posted:

Yeah, I used the Land Raider Crusader sprue to put assault cannons on my Razorbacks. It kinda sucks but the only options in the codex when that model came out were heavy bolters and lascannons; they didn't even add back in the silly las/plas one til an edition or two later.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Somewhere along the line I wound up with like 6 Ravenwing upgrade sprues, each of which comes with 2 vehicle asscans - I chopped those up to make razorback turrets.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

Yeah, I used the Land Raider Crusader sprue to put assault cannons on my Razorbacks. It kinda sucks but the only options in the codex when that model came out were heavy bolters and lascannons; they didn't even add back in the silly las/plas one til an edition or two later.

Yeah, the Crusader sprue is drat hard to find now.

I think I have some spare Terminator assault cannons lying around. I might test-fit those and hope they don't look too small.

It would be nice if they just made a new sprue with the rest of the options and put in the box, even if that resulted in the price going up.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I just finished off some models from the latest Raging Heroes kickstarter counts as SoB. I know people here hate female pin up styled models and I usually do to but I quite like this space nun sharp shooter vibe.

These are the character types and I'm going to be doing some armoured troops next so a lot less pin up vibe.

I'm going to take some better photos with lighting set up soon.

big_g fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 17, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The paint job is nice but man, those models are everything wrong with tabletop games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't think it's as OP as you believe it is. Tau can already field armies of units that always give a negative penalty to hit and they aren't seen as OP

I dont think its op exactly but i think people were also overreacting to the ultramarine tactics.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think its op exactly but i think people were also overreacting to the ultramarine tactics.

Completely in agreement. The really funny thing to me is that I remember hearing about how Marines were weak and would need a big boost from their Chapter Tactics to be competitive.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

The paint job is nice but man, those models are everything wrong with tabletop games.

Agreed. gently caress I can't imagine being goony enough to actually put that on a table in a public place.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's pretty much a lock that White Scars chapter tactics will be the ability to charge after falling back - works well with Khan, is about as powerful as the Ultras one. But since they more or less said specifically that none of them were unit or weapon specific, I wonder what Imp Fists or Salamanders will get - since traditionally "good with bolters" and "good with flamers" has been their shtick.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
hams: "Marine infantry are kinda mediocre to bad in a lot of cases"

*chapter tactics*

hams: "No that's too good"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's pretty much a lock that White Scars chapter tactics will be the ability to charge after falling back - works well with Khan, is about as powerful as the Ultras one. But since they more or less said specifically that none of them were unit or weapon specific, I wonder what Imp Fists or Salamanders will get - since traditionally "good with bolters" and "good with flamers" has been their shtick.

"Marksmanship - your models get +1 to hit against models more than 20" away"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Maybe Imperial Fists will get bonuses to firing while in cover, or double cover bonus Cities of War style. To quote Rogal Dorn, "the best offense is a good defense."

Salamanders might emphasize the forging aspect, maybe let every squad master craft a weapon.