Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I kinda want to get a bunch of friends dressed as Adventurers, and go do an Escape the Room entirely in character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

... now beware as it sounds like you are close to selling your home and following True Dungeon around the country. Well with your friends granted.

Well, the excuse is that gencon is back home so i get to visit my folks, and TDC was hosted at a winery. Also, who needs to sell your home to travel when it's a TD token!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm doing two sessions of TD, and my goal is to randomly pull tokens worth ~$100 to some nerd to break even.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hey, interested in this as previously mentioned, but let me know ASAP about this if you can, otherwise I'll have to fish around instead. Since you're PM-free, I just gotta bug you here. Let me know!

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back with you.

It's from Wed-Sun. $515 /person for the whole stay. If you're still interested you can PM me on the GenCon website zlarue is my username.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I posted some in here last year when my buddy and I tried out TD for the first time, but it was really disappointing. Our group was nice but also filled with TD powergamers, so we just kind of got talked into doing Hard Mode (we had no idea wtf anything meant, so we just deferred to them) and that meant we did nothing meaningful while the rest of the team pulled us through. The actress who was playing our Dark Elf guide seemed EXTREMELY over it all and was barely paying attention/acting (she felt one-step removed from just reading her lines off of notecards). We each pulled good tokens and googled a token vendor, texted him to see if he was at Gen Con (of course he was) and flipped two tokes for $400-500 total and called it a loving good time. Don't think I'd ever do it again, though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
True Dungeon is particularly interesting to me because of the Apple-fan-like issue that exists between their fans and everyone else. If you mention that a lot of people seem really nonplussed with True Dungeon (even, as I always do because I am FAIR LIKE THAT, pointing out that other people obviously love it), lifers will immediately jump in with I DOUBT THERE ARE THAT MANY PEOPLE NOT ENJOYING IT, YOU PROBABLY JUST HEARD FROM SOMEBODY WHOSE GUIDE WAS SICK OR WHO IS NOT REALLY INTO GAMING.

"Or," I think to myself, "it is possible that your interests are not shared by everyone in the world?" Which geek fallacy is this again

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Huskalator posted:

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back with you.

It's from Wed-Sun. $515 /person for the whole stay. If you're still interested you can PM me on the GenCon website zlarue is my username.

Alright, sent a message on over!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My true dungeon story is the people i knew that did it were absolutely insufferable and annoying as poo poo and i'm glad i will never deal with them ever again

welp that's my story about true dungeon

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Especially for last year's adventure where one npc drags you through the majority of the run the volunteer quality really has an effect. I'd enjoy it if they started setting professional/dedicated NPCs instead, or increasing the volunteer reward system.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Especially for last year's adventure where one npc drags you through the majority of the run the volunteer quality really has an effect. I'd enjoy it if they started setting professional/dedicated NPCs instead, or increasing the volunteer reward system.

Like a lot of things at Gen Con, the volunteer rewards for TD really emphasize volunteering for the whole con. For TD, you can volunteer for one shift, where you basically get nothing (you just get a token), or you can volunteer part time (two shifts) to get your badge comped, a special token, a t-shirt, and up to $100 depending on your role. If you go full time (29 hours throughout the con) you get a hotel room, too, and the cash part is between $100 and $250.

The comp for Magic judges is pretty similar (although I hear it's less this year - I didn't look into it), where 1 shift gets you a badge and a little cash; 3-4 shifts gets you a bunch of money and a hotel room.

Obviously, they want people that are committed, but, in my opinion, there are a ton of people who are going to be at the con anyway who would absolutely do one shift if they moved the comp around. It's not worth it at all to sign up for one shift, and if you actually want to do con stuff, you can't sign up full time. I would probably be willing to learn how to be a TD combat DM or whatever (it's one of the higher paying roles), but not just for a special token.

(And I kind of like the slider-combat, but I just really like shuffleboard. I totally get how it's not really all that immersive, though. Stuff like the skill checks for spell casting are pretty cool, though. I'd be all about TD if it was a little cheaper.)

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Booked my flight and badge, officially going this year!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How did you get a badge?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Guess the proper term is badges. Had to buy each day individually.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

darkspider42 posted:

Guess the proper term is badges. Had to buy each day individually.
HIGHEST FIVE

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i liked TD and i'm doing it again because i like puzzles and escape rooms.

but see my stories about being the jackass bard to realize that i'm sort of bringing my own fun to it.

they did not appreciate my rendition of Get Low by Lil' Jon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
We did get participation from the other rooms/groups for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen though.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Singing bards are the best bards. Plus sometimes the npcs will do stuff for you!

Off TD topic, is anyone playing steamforged's definitely not in no way Resident Evil board game? It's uhh trash panda metropolis or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fordan posted:

We did get participation from the other rooms/groups for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen though.

which, as i've said before, is so stdh.txt that if i didn't have witnesses, i'd say that bard's name was Albert Einstein

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Off TD topic, is anyone playing steamforged's definitely not in no way Resident Evil board game? It's uhh trash panda metropolis or something.
I saw what I assumed was viral marketing for this, which instantly makes me try to stop finding out anything about a product entirely; if there is any merit to it as a product I would at least be interested to hear this (from a real bona-fide GOON obvz, that is A.O.K. information!).

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think the best illustration of how good the barding songs were is that we were openly breaking the no-smartphones rule (to look up lyrics) and they didn't care

Mages make good backup singers because your combat action takes 5 seconds

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellis posted:

I think the best illustration of how good the barding songs were is that we were openly breaking the no-smartphones rule (to look up lyrics) and they didn't care

Mages make good backup singers because your combat action takes 5 seconds

there was a no smartphones rule?

must i pre-print my nonsense?

because i will

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 16, 2017

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
In general there is a no smartphone rule, no photography, etc etc. That being said your dm's view on those rules can be all over the place, so having a few preprinted tunes would be a good idea.
You gotta get immersed in being an elf wizard shufflepuck champion after all.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Any insight into why they can sell individual days but are sold out on passes? Seems strange to me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Texibus posted:

Any insight into why they can sell individual days but are sold out on passes? Seems strange to me.
I suspect they made some educated guesses as to how many people would buy individual days versus how many people would buy a 4-day badge of the people who did not pre-register, and that by past sales they determined this was the best way to get the most people into the convention without risking hitting whatever scary maximum number they are hoping to avoid. As in, they know selling 5,000 more Saturday badges gives them an idea of what to expect, whereas 5,000 more 4-day badges could mean those people show up any day, and if they are worrying about overcrowding the convention center (for legal or just crowd management reasons, who can say?) then it makes some sense to channel people into specific days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never been to GenCon, and only been to one con ever, which was comparatively tiny and lame. I have a hotel booked (25 minutes away because I'm cheap) and 4-day badges for the lady and I. I also grabbed some tickets for a few events THAT I HAVE TO SEE GOD DAMNIT even though I missed one of them. The girlfriend is not this kind of nerdy but IS a photographer and has found a few events of interest. How many generic tickets should we be looking at? Do a lot of events involve sitting at a table with empty seats and plunking my tickets down like I'm about to lose at blackjack?

Also the bag you linked somewhere in the OP goes to a Page Not Found. Off World Designs or whatever.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never been to GenCon, and only been to one con ever, which was comparatively tiny and lame. I have a hotel booked (25 minutes away because I'm cheap) and 4-day badges for the lady and I. I also grabbed some tickets for a few events THAT I HAVE TO SEE GOD DAMNIT even though I missed one of them. The girlfriend is not this kind of nerdy but IS a photographer and has found a few events of interest. How many generic tickets should we be looking at? Do a lot of events involve sitting at a table with empty seats and plunking my tickets down like I'm about to lose at blackjack?

Also the bag you linked somewhere in the OP goes to a Page Not Found. Off World Designs or whatever.

https://www.offworlddesigns.com/gen-con-2017-laptop-bag/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

WELL ARE YOU READY FOR SOME GAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIING

I cannot think of any event where you spend tickets in the fashion you describe, though I cannot say with certainty that such an event has never existed. But generic tickets are just used as last-minute substitutes for having booked an event in advance, so any event you would need a generic ticket for is an event you can find in the event list (or for some elusive last-minute events, they might only really show up in the program guide on-site).

Generic tickets are an even trade in value for a normal ticket, so a $4 event requires two generic tickets, and you know, extrapolate from there as you see fit. As first-timers it is entirely plausible that you will be so amazed and overwhelmed by the sheer lunacy and fantasticality(!) of the whole thing that you will not end up wanting to actually more than a handful of events anyway.

Also I fixed the link, and even credited you. You are first post famous now edit: oh second post famous ;(

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I usually snag $10 in generics and don't use most of them because I end up playing board games in bars setup via the GroupMe rather than worrying about most official events that are sold out. However, you can turn in your unused generics on the last day and they'll give you system credit for next year minus a 5% fee so buying too many to be prepared isn't terrible (assuming you come again). Personally, I'd say buy like $10-$12 for the two of you. You can always go buy more if you use a lot of them. (I was going to use Artemis or Bridge Simulator for 2 as the criteria for how many impulse generics to have, but when the hell did that go to $12? When the Mechwarrior pods are $8?)

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I've purchased $48 in generics so I can attempt to get a standby seat at the L5R release tournament, which I failed to get a real ticket for. :/

If I don't get in, I'll spend some and return the rest for system credit for next year's badge.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

WELL ARE YOU READY FOR SOME GAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIING

Also I fixed the link, and even credited you. You are first post famous now edit: oh second post famous ;(

Man I'm so good at this GenCon thing. :allears:

My blackjack analogy was mostly about finding a table of something I'm interested in that has empty seats; maybe that doesn't happen very often? I didn't want to sign up to a whole bunch of things and have a set schedule all four days.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Man I'm so good at this GenCon thing. :allears:

My blackjack analogy was mostly about finding a table of something I'm interested in that has empty seats; maybe that doesn't happen very often? I didn't want to sign up to a whole bunch of things and have a set schedule all four days.

My advice is to look through the event guide on Wednesday (You'll be at Gen Con on the phantom 5th day, right?) and find the events that you'd like to go to. If you want to get in with generics show up to the game 10ish minutes early and let the person running it know that You'd like to play if they have any openings. If someone skips you'll get their seat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Due to Reasons, I won't be there till about midday Thursday. I can certainly take a look at the event finder the day before. It was a little overwhelming the first time looking through it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Due to Reasons, I won't be there till about midday Thursday. I can certainly take a look at the event finder the day before. It was a little overwhelming the first time looking through it.
What, looking at 19,000 entries in a database is not light reading for you? What kind of e-denizen are you

I would say the best way to break it down is to just search for games you are interested in, but if you are one of those magical people who actually enjoys "the concept of playing a game" rather than "it is only possible for me to have fun this specific way" then that would be harder.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you are overwhelmed by the event database, definitely start by looking for things you would like to play. After that, pick at least one new game (new to you, not necessarily new to the world) that you are curious about or think you might be interested and find an open slot for it. Repeat until you feel your schedule is full enough.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

What, looking at 19,000 entries in a database is not light reading for you? What kind of e-denizen are you

I would say the best way to break it down is to just search for games you are interested in, but if you are one of those magical people who actually enjoys "the concept of playing a game" rather than "it is only possible for me to have fun this specific way" then that would be harder.

I am exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat that is willing to try almost anything. I do have a few systems in mind that I'd want to try, at least.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I am exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat that is willing to try almost anything. I do have a few systems in mind that I'd want to try, at least.

In that case, do what I do and just search by time/game type once you've got the stuff you absolutely have to do already booked. Like, "Hmm, I don't have anything at all on Friday afternoon. Maybe there's a good RPG running then?"

Another option is to browse by game/system and just click on anything that sounds interesting and see when it's happening. (I do that for board games; the problem there is that good euro games all start to sound kind of the same after a while. They're all named after cities in Italy or explorers and stuff. "Oh, you brought Magellan! I like that; it's the one we played a few weeks ago, right?" "No, that was Vasco da Gama.")

You definitely need some kind of parameter to start narrowing the field down, though, even if it's just "I think I'd rather play a card game in that time slot."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Don't forget, there will also be pickup games everywhere, and Games on Demand.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

8one6 posted:

My advice is to look through the event guide on Wednesday (You'll be at Gen Con on the phantom 5th day, right?) and find the events that you'd like to go to. If you want to get in with generics show up to the game 10ish minutes early and let the person running it know that You'd like to play if they have any openings. If someone skips you'll get their seat.

Even if full and everyone shows up there's also a decent chance that if the type of game supports it that it might go from say a 6-person to a 7-person game if there's someone there with interest and generics in hand. Obviously a lot harder with a board game with a fixed max number of players although I've seen GMs who were planning to play and run the game give up their spot and just run it without being one of the players. What kind of games are you interested in, Admiral?

That Old Tree posted:

Don't forget, there will also be pickup games everywhere, and Games on Demand.

Goons set up a lot of pickup games via the GroupMe chat using tables no one seems to be using or in bars. Get the app, get an external battery for your phone because goons are a chatty bunch.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

You can also go over to the Playtest hall. You'll probably be able to find something in a style you're interested in, and you can give feedback to the designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm up for almost any board game or RPG. Just wanna broaden my horizons.

• Locked thread