Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Penny Dreadful was fun and solid until the final season, when they clearly had to throw everything into a bucket and then cement it into closure. It reminds me of Sliders, where it started off awesome but went off the rails a bit as it went. Also the dude.

Apparently they're tying up some loose ends in a comic if you're into that kind of thing.

I didn't see and maybe never will see Deadwood (and Carnivale?) because they both got cut short as well but I'd recommend Penny Dreadful regardless of the slapdash "conclusion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Deadwood is short enough to be worth dipping into for a week or two to finish it, but it really felt a lot like two dudes standing across the street from each other yelling "get off my lawn!" except in a Shakespearian style

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just wrapped up Agents of SHIELD.

If you're not a comic book/movie fan, I'm not sure I could recommend it. I like it a lot because I'm a tasteless monster but the dialogue is dreadful sometimes.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I think it got mentioned earlier on this thread but Train to Busan was the best zombie movie I've seen on a long time. It's nice to have some time to watch horror movies again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wormil posted:

The pilot is the most important episode. If they gently caress it up, it's doubly stupid. I'm trying to think of a show with a bad pilot that turned into a good show and am failing. Now there are shows that were rough but had potential and turned things around, like Justified, but it wasn't bad.

Open-ended shows (I.e. ones that are based on concepts/characters and less on serialized stories) generally have weaker pilots. 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, The Office, and Rick and Morty all had mediocre to pretty bad pilots compared to the rest of their series. To that end, shows that start with a pilot and not a season order generally have a lot of retooling and different hiring all the way down the line based on how the production is structured and who buys it. Actors, writers, producers, crew and even entire settings can change.

Even serialized dramas don't escape this because pilots have to act as a billboard and roadmap for the rest of the show without access to the things you can buy with a season-long budget. You have shows like Westworld whose pilot and episode two represented vastly different shows because of the constraints on casting and sets required for pilots.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jodai posted:

I think it got mentioned earlier on this thread but Train to Busan was the best zombie movie I've seen on a long time. It's nice to have some time to watch horror movies again.

Thanks for reminding me of this!
A podcast had mentioned it but it slipped my memory.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

theflyingexecutive posted:

30 Rock, Parks and Rec, The Office, and Rick and Morty all had mediocre to pretty bad pilots...

I'm not desperate for things to watch so every episode is important. I don't watch any of those shows and don't feel I missed anything.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

wormil posted:

I'm not desperate for things to watch so every episode is important. I don't watch any of those shows and don't feel I missed anything.

Office/Parks and Rec/30 Rock are all quite good (until Office loses it somewhere in season 6.) They're also incredibly influential to the modern landscape of comedy and Hollywood. I would also argue that those 3 shows as a block are likely to be one of the last "must-see" TV situations. I can't think of a network right now that has multiple good/great TV shows, let alone multiple in a single night.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm talking about your more traditional networks or the Big 3. Not Netflix or HBO which I would consider their own things.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wormil posted:

I'm not a fan of pizza crusts, so I may as well not eat pizza ever I guess

That kinda attitude is especially mind-boggling for those shows because they're not even particularly serialized. 30 Rock especially is one of the greatest TV comedies ever and does/did really well in syndication because most episodes are completely standalone.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

30 Rock especially is one of the greatest TV comedies ever

Meh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:same: I could never really get into 30 Rock. Like it wasn't bad, but I didn't have a desire to watch it either.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I'm not a fan of pizza crusts, so I may as well not eat pizza ever I guess

Crust matters. Find a place that makes good crust and it might change your mind.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

wormil posted:

Crust matters. Find a place that makes good crust and it might change your mind.

Based on this, you'd probably like Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Episode 3 is where it catches its footing though. You can probably start there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Based on this, you'd probably like Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Episode 3 is where it catches its footing though. You can probably start there.

Brooklyn nine nine is garbage, and I'm not trolling you, it really is terrible television. I mean, if you are new to sitcoms then it might be funny because you haven't already heard the jokes dozens of times.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wormil posted:

Brooklyn nine nine is garbage, and I'm not trolling you, it really is terrible television. I mean, if you are new to sitcoms then it might be funny because you haven't already heard the jokes dozens of times.

What's it like being dead inside?
You seriously seem to overestimate the value of your time. Who are you, Ann Coulter?

But seriously, if you can't enjoy a dumb comedy sometimes then I don't want to be your friend.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

You seriously seem to overestimate the value of your time. Who are you, Ann Coulter?

But seriously, if you can't enjoy a dumb comedy sometimes then I don't want to be your friend.

Yeah. It's not groundbreaking. The cast has a lot of chemistry and a lot of fun. Captain Holt is used so well

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah. It's not groundbreaking. The cast has a lot of chemistry and a lot of fun. Captain Holt is used so well

That's exactly what it is, the cast is so perfect. It's very silly and fun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Brooklyn Nine Nine owns. At least the first couple of seasons that I watched.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Brooklyn Nine Nine owns. At least the first couple of seasons that I watched.

I haven't watched more than a half-dozen episodes but Andre Braugher, Terry Crews, Eva Longoria :cmon:

And then there's Andy Samberg who I'm pretty sure you're meant to hate so he's doing a good job too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

You seriously seem to overestimate the value of your time.

Probably but I'm okay with it. Never have I regretted not watched a tv show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

B99 is good in like 3 episode doses at max. More than that and the characters get really grating really fast.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

If anyone enjoys watching trashy reality tv, American Grit is absolutely not to be missed. Basically John Cena get's a couple marines, a green beret, and an army drill sergeant, gives them each a color and a team. Each episode, the team competes in some strange team challenge that doesn't ever get explained well, and then the three teams that don't win the team challenge send someone into a light torture session where one or two are eliminated.

The best part is the people they have brought on for this show. Half of them are loving hopeless and they're all nutcases (except the one fat guy who seems to be just chillin) and one turns out to be crazy in an entirely different way than you think initially.

A bunch of them get naked in the first episode. Available on Hulu

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S1 of American Grit was good from what I remember. S2 is low brow. I don't think it's on streaming yet but The Selection is the best version of that type of show, no prize money and they don't even use names, just numbers.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
(U.S. Netflix (and maybe elsewhere i dunno))

Salt and Fire

Holey moley, what a stinker. Billed as an "eco thriller," this film neither conveys an ecological message nor thrills. It watches more like a freshman submission to an arthouse film contest than anything else, and it's not even really good at being a bad arthouse film, either.

The dialogue is stilted, the acting is laughable (what can you do when the script is garbage, though?), the story meanders around, sometimes dipping a toe into "complete nonsense" territory, and the sound mixing is headache-inducing at times.

The cinematography is by far the most irritating part of the film. It's hard to hear the dialogue sometimes over the sound of the cinematographer masturbating furiously behind the camera "Nnngh I am SO awesome, that Academy Award is loving mine uuggghnnn" Yes, we get it, the landscape is a lovely juxtaposition of beauty and tragedy that gives a sense of being on an alien planet. Yep, still get it. Thanks for the slow 360 pan (again) but no--really--we get it, you can stop. Please stop. Turn off the crane, please. No, you cannot just go get the jib instead. Just stop. This isn't Planet Earth dude knock it off argh

I'm going to spoiler this next part in case some brave soul takes the plunge. Enjoy the pretty landscapes, I guess, because there's no other reason to sit through the whole thing.

At one point, a character is in the middle of a monologue and actually looks into the camera and says the title of the film. Remember that episode of Upright Citizens Brigade
where the guy makes up the titular line in Star Wars? It was just like that, only somehow sincere, and somehow cheesier than "I sure am tired of all these star wars."

0/5 would not recommend.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Scam City looks like an interesting concept. Has anyone watched it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just watched Take Me on Netflix.
It's about a guy that runs a simulated kidnapping company.
It's a comedy of sorts. I liked it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Just watched Take Me on Netflix.
It's about a guy that runs a simulated kidnapping company.
It's a comedy of sorts. I liked it.

I watched this too, I also liked it.

Been watching Ozark on Netflix. May have been this thread that suggested it but I've really liked it. All I have left is the final episode to watch

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Grem posted:

Scam City looks like an interesting concept. Has anyone watched it?

I had the first few episodes on while I was working and it's by and large a fun watch. Not really any info you wouldn't get by just being aware but it's interesting to see how this stuff works behind the scenes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Icarus is edge of your seat holy poo poo :psypop:

Go watch it asap on Netflix.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

The new season of Wet Hot American Summer is out on Netflix. I enjoyed it. Still has weird over the top plotlines, but overall it was good.

What I find funny is the fact that Netflix US has the prequel and the sequel to the original movie, but they don't carry the original one anymore.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Am I the only one who feels like the writing is really bad and the acting can't make up for it?
The whole Breaking Bad Reboot except we're owning rednecks with mad accounting skills and also these supposedly ignorant backwoods folk are good with money and very open minded seems forced and really unrealistic.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
This is kind of appropriate for this thread, but I just signed up for HBO Now and so far it's worth the $15/month for sure. Came for GOT and Westworld, looks like a great movie selection, too, and a bunch more shows that are worth a shot at least.

You don't have to reply to any emails or anything for your free month trial, so you could probably just keep making up email addresses and canceling after a month and get free HBO if you were really that committed to not paying $15/month.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Not bad, but i pay half that for Netflix and have a broader library to access, on my own schedule. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

coyo7e posted:

Not bad, but i pay half that for Netflix and have a broader library to access, on my own schedule. :(

I'm thinking about getting it for a couple months and just gorging myself on GOT and WW, then cancelling.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't have cable and just end up paying for prime, hbonow, hulu, and netflix. It's not exactly saving me any money but I enjoy using it way more so it's a push.

Also chalk up another 'ozarks isn't really that good and I find a bunch of these scenes notably unrealistic' vote.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Let's Be Evil (U.S. Netflix)

Imagine a humdrum bottle episode of a C- grade Sci-Fi channel show, only it's a feature-length movie. The acting and writing are terrible, and it's not really scary, or thrilling, or interesting. I'm trying my damnedest to think of a single redeeming quality and I'm coming up short, here. Sometimes the colors were pretty, I guess?

Embers (U.S. Netflix)

Read the synopsis and imagine what the film could be. Then, go do literally anything else.

Some sort of a plague makes everyone lose the ability to hold new memories, but not all in the same way--one person's memories may last a day, others may last mere seconds. There's one uninfected girl locked in a shelter. People wander around, not being able to remember stuff. That's pretty much it. Watches more like a demo for the director's new camera than it does a coherent film, but that's arthouse cinema for you.

Orange is the New Black: Season 5 (U.S. Netflix but probably elsewhere)

I'm torn. A lot of season 5 is really good. Some parts are really bad. If I were to go back and watch it again, I'd skip everything involving Piper and Alex and the tragically non-comedic comic relief of the two racist methheads that I care so little about that I can't even remember their names. The former relationship is stale as a week-old baguette at this point and the latter gimmick is yawn-inspiringly boring.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Orange is the New Black: Season 5 (U.S. Netflix but probably elsewhere)

I'm torn. A lot of season 5 is really good. Some parts are really bad. If I were to go back and watch it again, I'd skip everything involving Piper and Alex and the tragically non-comedic comic relief of the two racist methheads that I care so little about that I can't even remember their names. The former relationship is stale as a week-old baguette at this point and the latter gimmick is yawn-inspiringly boring.

I'm like halfway through this season and it's kind of jarring. I liked the setup and I like that they're changing things up but it seems like they've completely tossed subtlety out the window, not that OitNB was ever really understated. It just keeps bashing the viewer over the head with stuff. "HEY LOOK!! Alex is trying to avoid being a leader but she's giving her speech in front of a big bold sign calling her a king! Let's linger on that shot for a full minute, to make sure that people see it! Oh hey, the Muslim woman and the blonde white power woman are both dealing with nearly identical relationship woes, but they can't commiserate because of their racism and prejudice! Do you know what we haven't done on this show? A hamfisted rooftop Pieta!"

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Vaginaface posted:

Am I the only one who feels like the writing is really bad and the acting can't make up for it?
The whole Breaking Bad Reboot except we're owning rednecks with mad accounting skills and also these supposedly ignorant backwoods folk are good with money and very open minded seems forced and really unrealistic.

I feel the same way. I finished it, but didn't enjoy it. I ultimately hated almost every character except for gay bearded uncle who got implausibly roasted to death. The whole thing really does seem like a really dour Breaking Bad retread.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't see the Breaking Bad comparison. It's like someone went "Hey this is like Breaking Bad!" and several people went "yeah totally!" without thinking about it.

Bateman's character is already in on what's going on, he never started doing it to save his family/help pay bills or whatever. When we "meet" him, he's already laundering money. Then his partner fucks up and he BSes his way into the guy not killing him and it kicks off the Ozarks stuff.

The only line I can draw between the two is middle class suburban family does illegal poo poo.

Maybe I'm missing something but it's a bad comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

I'm like halfway through this season and it's kind of jarring. I liked the setup and I like that they're changing things up but it seems like they've completely tossed subtlety out the window, not that OitNB was ever really understated. It just keeps bashing the viewer over the head with stuff. "HEY LOOK!! Alex is trying to avoid being a leader but she's giving her speech in front of a big bold sign calling her a king! Let's linger on that shot for a full minute, to make sure that people see it! Oh hey, the Muslim woman and the blonde white power woman are both dealing with nearly identical relationship woes, but they can't commiserate because of their racism and prejudice! Do you know what we haven't done on this show? A hamfisted rooftop Pieta!"

It reigns that crap in right around where you are and starts getting its act together from there on out. It's almost as if the writers didn't really know where they were going so they padded a few episodes with more-or-less encapsulated vignettes about race, identity, sexuality, power, etc.

Don't get me wrong--you're still in for a couple of eye-rollers (Piper and Alex uggggh), but for the most part, it gets better.

Oh and FYI having subtitles on may reveal the identity of someone whose identity hasn't been revealed yet at that point in the season by describing what he or she is doing, so if you don't need them maybe turn them off. Specifically when things get "spooky" here soon and the tone shifts briefly to a more horror/scary movie style.