Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mu Zeta posted:

Starbucks is great if you just think about it as a place for milkshakes

900 calorie milkshakes

That's pretty much every milkshake though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So I contacted JavaPresse about the inconsistent grind in my unit. They promptly shipped me a new one and it works great now. Their marketing is a bit too over-the-top and saccharine, but their CS is pretty good.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got a Nanopresso, because I wanted to have a way to have a half-decent espresso at home without investing in a counter-hogging machine. The results are satisfactory, but I feel like a dumbass spending 3-4x as long trying to pack and tamp the grounds as actually pulling the shot. The filter basket is really tiny--maybe 1.25 inches across--and I'm very carefully trying to get my 8g of grounds into the basket without spilling it all over the place every time.

Anybody have any clever ideas for how to make this easier? Get a tiny little funnel?

404notfound fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 17, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Just purchased a Gaggia Classic espresso packing and a burr grinder to go with it. Part birthday present and anniversary gift for my wife, but also something to get me kick stared in the mornings.

What started us off was having a Latte made in our friends Rancilio Silva. I would have bought one of those, but it's a bit above what I'm willing to spend, especially for our first 'real' coffee machine.

I've already ordered a Silva steam wand as an upgrade as I've read the stock on on the Classic sucks.

I have a feeling I've started down the rabbit hole!!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

404notfound posted:

Anybody have any clever ideas for how to make this easier? Get a tiny little funnel?
Get a machine that's actually designed for daily use in a modern kitchen? The whole reason that thing is tiny and inconvenient is because it's designed for traveling when you literally have no other options. Saeco has several great machines with a small footprint. If those are still too big for you then just get a mokapot.

Martytoof posted:

Thinking of picking up a moka pot before I jump in the deep end of espresso makers, but I'm seeing that I'll likely need to shell out for a good grinder either way. How realistic is getting something good for sub-$200 CDN these days? Not great, right?

By good, I mean something I won't replace for a few years at least and that'll last me through babby's first espresso maker phase.
Eh moka pots are pretty inconsistent and what they produce could barely be called espresso, so spending a bunch of money on a fancy grinder right now probably isn't necessary (that said, you can get into a Baratza for under $200 CDN). Try some pre-ground in it first and see if you're happy. I use http://www.cafebustelo.com in mine when I can find it in stock and it tastes good enough, and if I want to invest time/energy in pulling an amazing shot I turn to my Silvia + Vario W.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hamburlgar posted:

Just purchased a Gaggia Classic espresso packing and a burr grinder to go with it. Part birthday present and anniversary gift for my wife, but also something to get me kick stared in the mornings.

What started us off was having a Latte made in our friends Rancilio Silva. I would have bought one of those, but it's a bit above what I'm willing to spend, especially for our first 'real' coffee machine.

I've already ordered a Silva steam wand as an upgrade as I've read the stock on on the Classic sucks.

I have a feeling I've started down the rabbit hole!!

Look up temperature surfing, you'll need it for that Gaggia Classic.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Look up temperature surfing, you'll need it for that Gaggia Classic.

Or just get a PID for your gaggia and you won't need to worry about that.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

So my whirlwind discovery tour of coffee shops in the area has revealed a pattern of which espressos I like and which ones I don't. There's one place right by me that I've been to twice, and each time I get an espresso there it tastes.. green? I don't know how else to describe it. Very much tastes like there's grass in my coffee. Is this a thing that happens with different roasts or what is happening?

Yes, it's a very common roasting flaw called "underdeveloped", "raw", or "green" where the beans haven't been cooked all the way through and are described as tasting "grassy" or "like a peanut shell".

It's particularly easy to do if the coffee beans you're roasting happen to have a wide variety of size and/or density because if you hit the roast target for, say, 75% of the beans but 25% are underdeveloped that flavor will still dominate the cup.

quote:

Underdevelopment

Underdeveloped coffee displays those undesirable “green” flavours and is less soluble..

A vast majority of the coffees I am currently tasting from Specialty Coffee Roasters around the world exhibit underdevelopment. Objectively and subjectively identifiable underdevelopment. It’s a real problem in the industry and has far reaching effects, including:
- reducing efficiency of extractions.
- inhibiting customer acquisition or conversion from traditional “dark roasters”.
- it tastes terrible.

Similar to extraction taints, like dryness or sourness, underdevelopment is a generic flavour. You can get it with high or low quality green coffee. Buying expensive green coffee does not justify or mask underdevelopment. We are “Specialty” - we need our customers to perceive and pay for higher quality - underdevelopment makes that difficult.

Underdeveloped coffees behave in a very particular way:
- If you find yourself grinding one coffee significantly finer than another, even though the colour is similar, that coffee is likely underdeveloped.
- If you struggle to slow down espresso shots with a certain coffee but not others, look to development as the cause.
- If you can’t crack open a roasted bean easily with your fingers, it’s likely underdeveloped
- Break open a bean and look closely at the colour of the outside and inside layers of the bean. If there’s a difference in colour that you can perceive, the inside is definitely underdeveloped.

Roasting darker is one way to reduce underdevelopment, but it’s not the best way. Yes, you will expose the interior of the bean to higher temperatures, reduce the undesirable flavours and increase solubility; but the exterior of the bean is now likely overdeveloped and far too dark. There’s still disparity between the inner and outer layers. The only solution is to apply the right amount of heat at the correct times in the roast to develop the inside and outside of the bean evenly. This allows you to finish the roast darker or lighter without fear of under-developing the interior or overdeveloping the exterior. I say again: with proper development, any reasonable colour of roast can be rich and sweet.

https://baristahustle.com/blogs/barista-hustle/lets-talk-about-roasting

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is it wrong I like coffee so much I want to try making coffee bbq sauce?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

You probably wouldn't be the first.

Do it and report back so I don't have to recipe test myself.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

iospace posted:

I make it often. In fact I make what I call "dark roasted chicken" where I have a coffee brine, coffee rub and espresso bbq sauce. I will find my recipe later.

Edit: Here is the recipe.

Brine:
1 cup strong coffee (I use french press, aeropress would be good here too)
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 lemon, sliced
2 tablespoons of peppercorns
6 cups cool water

Rub:
2 tablespoons ground coffee beans (fine, espresso fine)
1 tablespoon ground pepper
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin

BBQ Sauce:
4 tablespoons Garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups ketchup
2 cups honey
4 shots of espresso
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the garlic until golden, then add in everything but the coffee and simmer for 5 minutes, then whisk in the espresso and simmer an additional 10 minutes.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2017

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Holy loving poo poo that looks amazing. Going to be the first recipe I make in my new instant pot.

Do you mean 4 single shots (2 doubles) or 4 double shots?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 20, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhhhh I know what I'm doing this weekend.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That could definitely be good in there. I've always grilled it, but pressure cooking some thighs would be quite tasty.

Glad to hear it's gaining some interest. I'm pretty happy with how the recipe came together. It's the one thing I came up with that I bothered to actually write out a recipe for. I will admit the BBQ sauce part isn't mine, it's a Michael Chiarello recipe. My mom made it once and I loved it so I have been making it a few times a year and keeping it on bottles.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 20, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Holy loving poo poo that looks amazing. Going to be the first recipe I make in my new instant pot.

Do you mean 4 single shots (2 doubles) or 4 double shots?

4 singles (2 doubles), I meant to clarify that.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Has anyone grown a coffee plant before?

I've just gotten an allotment and I'm trying to work out what to grow in the space I have. Given all the dick-waving about what the 5th wave of coffee will be, now that third wave is passé, I fancy taking a stab at going for hyperlocal ultra-small batch where I get enough beans to sell a single bag every few years.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

kim jong-illin posted:

Has anyone grown a coffee plant before?

I've just gotten an allotment and I'm trying to work out what to grow in the space I have. Given all the dick-waving about what the 5th wave of coffee will be, now that third wave is passé, I fancy taking a stab at going for hyperlocal ultra-small batch where I get enough beans to sell a single bag every few years.

And so begins your journey down the road to the mythical Golden Bean...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rockcity posted:

I make it often. In fact I make what I call "dark roasted chicken" where I have a coffee brine, coffee rub and espresso bbq sauce. I will find my recipe later.

Edit: Here is the recipe.

BBQ Sauce:
4 tablespoons Garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups ketchup
2 cups honey
4 shots of espresso
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the garlic until golden, then add in everything but the coffee and simmer for 5 minutes, then whisk in the espresso and simmer an additional 10 minutes.

How sweet does the BBQ sauce come out? Anytime I make it I tend to keep towards 1c of sugars, but I don't want to throw the whole profile of it out of whack by halving it without knowing where it's starting.

The rest of that recipe looks like it'll be pretty good and I may have to try it next week with a whole chicken on the grill.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

How sweet does the BBQ sauce come out? Anytime I make it I tend to keep towards 1c of sugars, but I don't want to throw the whole profile of it out of whack by halving it without knowing where it's starting.

The rest of that recipe looks like it'll be pretty good and I may have to try it next week with a whole chicken on the grill.

It makes a fair bit of BBQ sauce, way more than you need to make the chicken so although it sounds like a lot of sugar it makes a lot of sauce. I think the bitterness in the espresso and also the acidity of the vinegar tame down the sugar. If you do find it is too sweet, I'd just up the vinegar and give it another 5 minutes of simmering.

Also, a warning to everyone, if you put it in a squeeze bottle make sure you have a pretty good opening cut on the end. The garlic clogs up smaller holes very easily.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's a good water softener option for my Gaggia Classic?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Since it's not a direct connect machine, you can do just about anything you want. Some ideas:
- Brita/filter jug
- Convert your whole house to a softening system
- Hook up a pentair can to one of your sink lines
- Get 5 gallon jugs and a flojet
- Get a crazy Ruhens or ION water filtration machine (think like a water cooler but with no jug, filters inline)

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I'm travelling through Hong Kong and Norway (Oslo, Bergen and Lillehammer specifically) soon. Other than Tim Wendelboe's in Oslo, is there anywhere in particular that I should check out or actively avoid?

I just saw this now. Have you made the trip yet? Wendelboe is my local shop and there are loads of great places here.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have hard water and I use a Mavea filter and an in tank pack.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

bondetamp posted:

I just saw this now. Have you made the trip yet? Wendelboe is my local shop and there are loads of great places here.

Not yet! We arrive in Oslo (from somewhere near Brumunddal) from the 7th til the 12th, when we leave for Bergen.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My Gaggia Classic arrived a couple days ago. Makes awesome coffee, but the 3 way solenoid to send the excess water into the drip tray wasn't worked.

So, I rang Amazon for an exchange, that arrived today and the same thing is up with this machine too.

I don't really want to call them again for a 3rd unit, but it's definitely something that should be working, right?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hamburlgar posted:

My Gaggia Classic arrived a couple days ago. Makes awesome coffee, but the 3 way solenoid to send the excess water into the drip tray wasn't worked.

So, I rang Amazon for an exchange, that arrived today and the same thing is up with this machine too.

I don't really want to call them again for a 3rd unit, but it's definitely something that should be working, right?

How is it not working exactly?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
After running the machine for a shot, the 3 way solenoid should activate and send the excess hot water down the drip tube into the drip tray. This would prevent the grinds staying soggy as all hell making them difficult/messy to clean out.

The machine has a drip tube, but nothing comes out of it :/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hamburlgar posted:

After running the machine for a shot, the 3 way solenoid should activate and send the excess hot water down the drip tube into the drip tray. This would prevent the grinds staying soggy as all hell making them difficult/messy to clean out.

The machine has a drip tube, but nothing comes out of it :/

So when you take the portafilter off is it still pressurized, sending hot soupy coffee grounds spraying everywhere? If not the solenoid may be working to relieve the pressure, just not putting the water where you want it...?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It's not always going to dump a bunch of extra water, but if you want to be sure it's working right just throw the backflush basket on there and see what happens. If you aren't getting an explosion of pressure and grounds when removing the portafilter though it doesn't sound like you have a problem.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Ok, no, it's not still pressurised when I take the portafilter off. The grounds do have a small puddle of water on top of them that I have to pour into the sink before knocking the puck out.

I'm not using the pressurised baskets though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

Ok, no, it's not still pressurised when I take the portafilter off. The grounds do have a small puddle of water on top of them that I have to pour into the sink before knocking the puck out.

I'm not using the pressurised baskets though.

Yeah, sounds like it’s working fine. Keep in mind that the water removal feature of the three-way-solenoid / valve is more of a side effect of the primary purpose, depressurizing the group head.

If you’ve just got a little standing water on top of the puck that’s OK. If your pucks are a soupy mess that may indicate under dosing or too fine of a grind. If your espresso tastes good then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah I have a gaggia classic and sometimes the puck is a bit wet but my 3-way solenoid definitely works. It sounds like yours is working just fine.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
That's good to hear guys! And yes, it makes a wicked espresso!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The puck is not going to come out dry as a bone as people have noted. It's just not supposed to be a soupy pressurized mess when you release the portafilter.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I switched beans and had to go as fine as my Sette with two shims can go to get things right. Pucks are nice but do have some water on top. With the beans I was using before I was several notches coarser and the pucks were not wet on top at all.

That being said this Kéan coffee is really good stuff.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Recently my ancient Baratza Virtuoso striped the main gear in it so I decided to upgrade to the new burr. It grinds much finer now, and does it ever rip through the beans. My old timer setting that I used to get enough coffee for a pot went through almost double the beans in the same amount to time as it used to. Well worth the upgrade (mostly because I don't have to spend $300+ cdn on a new grinder).

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
My existing Breville YouBrew died. I'm sure it's a terrible machine for some reason by coffee aficionado standards, but I liked having the all-in-one that ground and brewed.

At the same time, I could tell from the materials and design that it was not going to last. Frankly, it is too expensive a product to only last 3-4 years, so I'm not buying another YouBrew.

So now I need something new. I'd like convenience (I'm not roasting my own things, and I'd prefer not to have to separately grind beans each morning), while still getting a good cup of coffee.

Are the all-in-ones with a grinder all really bad (at least the ones that are $200 or under)?

What should I do here?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SpannerX posted:

Recently my ancient Baratza Virtuoso striped the main gear in it so I decided to upgrade to the new burr. It grinds much finer now, and does it ever rip through the beans. My old timer setting that I used to get enough coffee for a pot went through almost double the beans in the same amount to time as it used to. Well worth the upgrade (mostly because I don't have to spend $300+ cdn on a new grinder).

That's very interesting to me, because my wife has complained that our virtuoso takes twice as long as it used to, so she wants a new one...but I was sure we had replaced the burr a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

SlyFrog posted:

My existing Breville YouBrew died.
How did it die? I'd expect something that expensive to be at least somewhat repairable unless something really horrible happened to it.