Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

PittTheElder posted:

And for good reason too I'd think. If there's one thing revolutionary in EU5, I hope to God it's a system that limits a states ability to project power. There should be no massive Ming armies marching through Tibet, no Europeans landing a fifty-thousand strong army in the Americas, and good reasons why the player can't do that poo poo either.
Ideas:

- Massively increase attrition to like 10x what it currently is
- All army movements now cost 1 MP (first month free to allow reinforcement)
- Slow down transport ships and add disaster events when a stack is waterborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should steal the supply system from HOI4 but severely limit its projection so that basically anything outside of your own territory has terrible attrition. Offensive wars should be very expensive.

Actually they should steal a lot of things from HOI4.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I say they should just make your troops fight like dirt the further they get away from your territory and/or your capital. More attrition just sounds like it would be a pain in the rear end, honestly, and a pain in the rear end that could probably be circumvented anyway.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It probably shouldn't be possible to ship thousands of troops across multiple seazones until the lategame. How you would square that off with the colonial game is going to be tricky though. There are a lot of compromises that would need to be made to allow for conquistador expeditions to make the sort of crazy conquests that they did. The only way I could imagine it working is if you abstracted those conflicts instead of having them represented by regular military conflict on the map. Which could work, but would also feel incredibly unfair to natives.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fister Roboto posted:

They should steal the supply system from HOI4 but severely limit its projection so that basically anything outside of your own territory has terrible attrition. Offensive wars should be very expensive.
Only issue with that is that it'll encourage the old turtle style warfare from EU3.

AnoHito posted:

I say they should just make your troops fight like dirt the further they get away from your territory and/or your capital. More attrition just sounds like it would be a pain in the rear end, honestly, and a pain in the rear end that could probably be circumvented anyway.
Maybe some sort of military over extension mechanic - giving you a regional force limit, where putting more regiments into play causes their cost to ramp up really quickly (scaling up somewhere between how they do with force limits, and how they do with colonies). That would allow you to fight wars on the periphery of your ability to project power, without your armies just being bad for no reason, but you'd either have to fight with your arm tied behind your back or pay for a serious expedition. Allied/subject territory should increase the limit, depending on their own force limit and overall development - meaning a newly started colonial nation wouldn't allow you to send real armies on rampage in the Americas, whereas a well-developed one later on would.

Would be a challenge UI-wise to make it work in a fashion that's intuitive for the player, but I think it could do a lot to limit the power projection of early states.

YF-23 posted:

It probably shouldn't be possible to ship thousands of troops across multiple seazones until the lategame. How you would square that off with the colonial game is going to be tricky though. There are a lot of compromises that would need to be made to allow for conquistador expeditions to make the sort of crazy conquests that they did. The only way I could imagine it working is if you abstracted those conflicts instead of having them represented by regular military conflict on the map. Which could work, but would also feel incredibly unfair to natives.
Just make an institution called Old World Diseases. Until you adapt it, you get -50% discipline.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 17, 2017

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

YF-23 posted:

You could severely limit the stack sizes that natives can make. So a 3k conquistador stack against 20 1k stacks one at a time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AnoHito posted:

It's capped at 12 a year.
Also I have seen an AI break tributary before. At least I'm pretty sure they did; they were definitely a tributary at one point and weren't later.

I've seen them tried to break away many times, but never succeed. Usually hordes.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

OperaMouse posted:

You could severely limit the stack sizes that natives can make. So a 3k conquistador stack against 20 1k stacks one at a time.

You could do that, and now playing natives is no longer fun in any sense of the word.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just make an institution called Old World Diseases. Until you adapt it, you get -50% discipline.

It'd be pretty weird trying to get Euros to spread their diseases to your tribe so you could adopt it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mantis42 posted:

It'd be pretty weird trying to get Euros to spread their diseases to your tribe so you could adopt it.

-Added war goal: Demand Smallpox Blankets

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Regional force limits would be neat. Besides making it prohibitively expensive to send a full European army to conquer all of the new world it would allow me to fund a force to put down rebels in Australia without fully mobilizing the home army.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

It would also solve the "problem" that most nations with colonial holdings have after 1600 or so: say I'm at war with Spain, they see my undefended colonial land in Brazil and they're all like "let's ship half our army over there to occupy all that juicy undefended territory :downs: " while I'm sieging their capital and stealing all their candy.

I mean I get that it's unprotected land and huge swathes of it to boot, but when fully occupying south america gives them 5% warscore and I'm stackwiping what little armies they have left on the continent and helping myself to their capital and richest lands they should understand that something is definitely not working as well as they thought. Instead they keep armies down there until I force whatever peace deal I like on them, then they leave their armies exiled in my colonial lands for decades :confused:

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Has anyone been having weird call to arms happening? I was emperor of the HRE and France attacked and I didnt get a CTA, same thing happened when I was allied to Brandenburg they got attacked and I never got the defensive CTA. Also in my Sunset Invasion attempt I attacked Portugal's colonial nation and Portugal never came in to the war.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Too Poetic posted:

Also in my Sunset Invasion attempt I attacked Portugal's colonial nation and Portugal never came in to the war.

this i can explain:

If your capital is in the New World, you're free to attack CNs without the overlord getting involved. Not sure when that was patched in but it's a lifesaver if you're playing a native.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
That last one is normal. New World nations can attack colonial nations without pulling in the overlord.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

YF-23 posted:

Make conquests possible through allying with natives and local powers, i.e. how Europeans actually expanded through the game's period historically. The European AI already has a lot of trouble expanding into Asia, I hope they'll make a more dynamic extra-continental alliance system thing at some point as a way to fix it. I thought they were on their way to doing that when they added the whole colonial war system with protectorates, until they removed protectorates entirely shortly after. Welp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Who was it, Node? Who posted about doing Oman => Mughals to try to do Third Way? Because it sure has been a wild ride. 1615 and I finally formed the Mughals and am positioned to steamroll through India to power up and funnel more trade to Zanzibar:

Ming attacked Orissa (no idea why; the CB is to conquer a province in India, but its an odd one) - Orissa and Bahmanis are currently winning the war and have a few Ming provinces occupied, but Ming outnumbers them two to one so I dont imagine they can actually win the war.

Tunis is trying to reform Al-Andalus, Spain has Exploration and Expansion but have not settled a single colony.

I need to find a way to backstab and cripple the Ottomans sooner rather than later, otherwise they may continue to expand into Europe and make my task impossible. My first priority though is to gobble India and take over the East Indies to get rid of the vile heretic Sunni's there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

I crushed Revolutionary France as a gigantic Byzantium that surrounds the entire Mediterranean and took all of their European provinces without destroying the Revolution, which only exists in West Africa now. (The green in the lower right hand corner is Persia)

Alternative history indeed...

Technowolf posted:

How do you defeat a lucky nation? I'm trying to play an England>GB game and good lord it's frustrating every time I have to deal with France and their 60,000+ man doomstacks.

As Byzantium, I allied with Hungary and declared war on the Ottomans while they were busy fighting someone in the East, then used a giant pile of 40+ loans to finance a galley fleet to keep the Ottoman armies out of Eastern Europe. I slowly chipped away at them until Austria allied me and then I took all of Anatolia. From there it was pretty simple. I have over 300 land force limit in this screenshot, and I'm maintaining 5 or so 45 man armies. As a comparison, Revolutionary france was able to field one 36 man army and a couple of smaller armies.

As a smaller nation fighting a more powerful one, don't be afraid to run and play to your strengths. England's strength is the navy. You can transport your armies between north and west france, which makes the enemy chase after you and if you delay long enough (assuming they've declared war on you), you can fight for a white peace. Once you get stronger you can fight them toe-to-toe, but diving and conquering is almost always the best way to go.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 18, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How do you defeat a lucky nation? I'm trying to play an England>GB game and good lord it's frustrating every time I have to deal with France and their 60,000+ man doomstacks.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
France specifically you want to kneecap before they get their fuckhuge morale national idea because that's just making a bad situation even worse for everyone that isn't france.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Who was it, Node? Who posted about doing Oman => Mughals to try to do Third Way? Because it sure has been a wild ride. 1615 and I finally formed the Mughals and am positioned to steamroll through India to power up and funnel more trade to Zanzibar:

Ming attacked Orissa (no idea why; the CB is to conquer a province in India, but its an odd one) - Orissa and Bahmanis are currently winning the war and have a few Ming provinces occupied, but Ming outnumbers them two to one so I dont imagine they can actually win the war.

Tunis is trying to reform Al-Andalus, Spain has Exploration and Expansion but have not settled a single colony.

I need to find a way to backstab and cripple the Ottomans sooner rather than later, otherwise they may continue to expand into Europe and make my task impossible. My first priority though is to gobble India and take over the East Indies to get rid of the vile heretic Sunni's there.

Never really wanted to do Third Way before but I have wanted to give Mughals a try for a while and this seems fun.

What are some good idea groups for Third Way--Would you get religious ideas before admin?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

reignonyourparade posted:

France specifically you want to kneecap before they get their fuckhuge morale national idea because that's just making a bad situation even worse for everyone that isn't france.

This or just ignore them till late. France doesn't really expand much so while they are massive shitholes in the midgame they tend to be surprisingly soft later.

Or just ally them and let them slap around europe for you

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Technowolf posted:

The problem is not that you're fighting a lucky nation, but that you're fighting France. Considering they have 60k stacks you've definitely let them sit around and take their +20% morale NI.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Fowl posted:

Never really wanted to do Third Way before but I have wanted to give Mughals a try for a while and this seems fun.

What are some good idea groups for Third Way--Would you get religious ideas before admin?
I have no idea if it was optimal but I went Econ => Exploration => Defensive => Aristocracy and am going to do Quality next. My army tradition is going to be resting at 60. After that I think I will go Diplomacy for another diplomat, cheaper diplo tech, and that sweet sweet Province Warscore Cost. Then I think I will go Religious. I may drop Exploration once I am set up in enough places to cut off the Muslims and whatnot. I may also drop Econ if I am ever swimming in both money and Admin points (I think the money part will be easy considering my geographical situation)...

I wish I could have fit Admin in, but I now have a 25% Coring discount from Mughal traditions, plus a 10% discount from Permanent claims on all of India, and I am about to start unlocking Admin Efficiency bonuses. Therefore I decided against getting Admin, especially because I have been careful with wars and my armies, so I have never taken a tons of casualties and needed mass merc infantry. Surprisingly, I have never fought a defensive war - I have managed to always have strong enough allies to only fight opportunistic offensive wars.

I have been mostly keeping up on conversions by being active with the Clergy estate and running a Missionary bonus advisor when I have a bunch of hard to convert provinces floating around. I grabbed Mecca which also helps. I have also taken advantage of the whole "State something (dont core any of it), activate the 1% missionary Edict, convert everything, de-activate the Edict, de-state, rinse, repeat.

edit: Correction, just because it is worth noting: The only time I ran out of manpower was when attacking Ethiopia. Ethiopia is a barren hellscape that you do not want to fight in without merc infantry. Attacking them and fighting them to 100% so I could take land, Humiliate, and steal their Coptic Gold was a mistake.

My current goals are to beat the poo poo out of Malwa and start invading Indonesia so I can quit being a Ming Tributary as soon as possible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 18, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

Make conquests possible through allying with natives and local powers, i.e. how Europeans actually expanded through the game's period historically. The European AI already has a lot of trouble expanding into Asia, I hope they'll make a more dynamic extra-continental alliance system thing at some point as a way to fix it. I thought they were on their way to doing that when they added the whole colonial war system with protectorates, until they removed protectorates entirely shortly after. Welp.

I think regiments should be tied to the province they are raised in (Like Vicky 2), and have extremely steep cost penalties to operating in distant continents/terrains. Furthermore you can't raise your national troops in colonial areas. In New World areas you can only raise Colonial Militia (which will be handed over to the colonial nation if it revolts), and in other parts of the world you can raise native troops. So I might send 3000 european infantry and 2000 canons to India to strengthen the core of my 25,000 native sepoys. (Perhaps some sort of continental force limits? Where I could support 50k troops in Europe, and only 7k in Asia before vastly increased costs?)

Perhaps you could expand this to the Mesoamericans by allowing the player to raise a local native army from friendly minors and assign a Euro leader to it which give a huge discipline/morale bonus. You wouldn't need to ship 20,000 soldiers over in 1522, instead you'd improve relations with Mesoamerican Minor A, raise native forces there, assign a Conquistidor that gets huge bonuses against unreformed natives, conquer Mesoamerican Minor B, and then absorb the region that way, maybe shipping a few supplementary troops later.

I'd also like to see a system where War Enthusiasm is enhanced for both the AI and the Player, where the war goal is given a 'weight'. Defending or attacking an integral core province of someone's homeland would get the maximum weight, defending or attacking the distant colonial holding of an ally would get a very small weight. Once your war casualties exceed the Goal Weight of the war you start getting increasingly higher war exhaustion/stability/tax/manpower penalties. So, if I'm Britain and France declares war on my to take away Cornwall, my Goal Weight would be functionally infinite, and I could fight to the very end to defend what was mine. But if I'm Britain and declare war on Dai Viet and start bleeding away 50,000 manpower to take a single province on the other side of the world, my people are going to be loving pissed off.

I'm just so sick of every single war feeling like a massive global TOTAL WAR TO THE DEATH. I'd like to see more frequent, quicker wars for smaller goals.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

The problem is not that you're fighting a lucky nation, but that you're fighting France. Considering they have 60k stacks you've definitely let them sit around and take their +20% morale NI.

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah, that's my fault. Well, I ain't too proud. I'll just restart and break them properly this time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I think regiments should be tied to the province they are raised in (Like Vicky 2), and have extremely steep cost penalties to operating in distant continents/terrains.

This sounds like micro hell if you have an empire of any real size. You'd effectively have to keep track of every regiment you raised. And god help you if you merge two armies together, you'd have to manually sort through every regiment and look for their home province to sort them back out again.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing as Ayutthaya for the White Elephant achievement. So far so good, except for one minor inconvenience: Dai Viet have been selling some of their provinces to Ming. Provinces I need for that achievement

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AnoHito posted:

This sounds like micro hell if you have an empire of any real size. You'd effectively have to keep track of every regiment you raised. And god help you if you merge two armies together, you'd have to manually sort through every regiment and look for their home province to sort them back out again.

Eh... you'd be shipping your 'core' troops overseas way less often, and using local troops way more often. You'd probably color code them differently as well. I guess you wouldn't have to track the individual provinces, just that you'd have a few types of troops:

1.) Troops raised in your home continent in national culture/religion provinces connected to your capital. (This is what you raise now in game)
2.) Colonial militia
3.) Native sepoys

Or something like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just have a "split army by origin" button similar to how you have a button that splits mercs vs. regular troops

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Playing as Ayutthaya for the White Elephant achievement. So far so good, except for one minor inconvenience: Dai Viet have been selling some of their provinces to Ming. Provinces I need for that achievement
RIP

There is no way to get them back without a hellwar, now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

The AI is learning! :tinfoil:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Is there a way or a mod to play the regular european country setup with the sunset invasion americas you get from a converted ck2 savegame?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
This is the closest I could find: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170398203

It shouldn't be too hard to just open a converted CK2 mod and just pull out the parts that relate to the New World though, if you don't want any other changes

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

RIP

There is no way to get them back without a hellwar, now.

Well, I think I might have figured out a way to make that easier. Apparently, while I'm a Ming tributary my vassals are not so I've started to vassalize everyone who is touching Ming for that mandate penalty, that together with Russia now bordering them dropped the mandate from + 0.45 to +0.17. Pretty sure that when I vassalize everyone there, the mandate should fall and the disaster for Ming triggers.

Also Kara Del in that screenshot is a Ming tributary and allied to the Ottomans. They aren't loving around with their survival chances.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't think you're going to trigger any disaster there. The mandate will still fall and they'll get the damage and production penalties, so you'll have a good chance at taking the provinces you'll need, but that Chagatai and Buryatia don't really look big enough to fire the disaster. In my current Prussia game they've got a similar problem, they're bordering huge Russia and Bengal so they can't get any mandate, but are still too big for any of the AI tributaries to revolt and there are no steppe nomads of any size to take advantage anyway.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I had the same issue in my attempt at White Elephant run, except by the time Ming's Mandate crashed they were allied with the Ottomans. I gave up after that.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Oh hi there, Ruthenia. I never see you unless I form them myself.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

In the Oman => Mughals to go for Third way run that I am in the middle of, a big fat Orissa and Bahmanis fought Ming to a standstill when Ming declared on Orissa for Kale; Ming got out of the war only gaining Kale.

Later when Bahmanis and Orissa declared a coalition war on me, even with Mings help (I was a tributary) we baaaaarely white peaced them out. I dont know what Ming's issues are because they are fuckhuge and have conquered some land, but Bahmanis and Orissa have given them some trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Check miltech.

• Locked thread