Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mentat Radnor posted:

So, Vatican Miracle Examiner is kinda badass. It has everything!

- Hype OP!
- Mystery-solving handsome boys!
- Gory murders!
- More handsome boys!
- Satan!

and much more. It's the type of show that pairs well with drinking a lot of Communion wine, and I'm enjoying the campyness so far.

http://i.imgur.com/3nSLGMS.gifv

churchboys show is kinda wild, like the pace felt breakneck and it never really stopped to catch a breath between some new "miracle' or somebody getting brutally murdered. I watched the first two episodes back to back and I think I might continue to watch it in chunks especially if the mysteries are going to be contained in short arcs (assuming this first one wraps up w/ep3); I think the pacing will work better like that rather than speeding headlong into a week's wait for the next part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's entirely a chance that Cheer Fruits goes Samurai Flamenco and suddenly everyone has super powers in episode 7 and people are getting decapitated

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

there's entirely a chance that Cheer Fruits goes Samurai Flamenco and suddenly everyone has super powers in episode 7 and people are getting decapitated

I hope not.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That would be weird. And I'd be down with that if it's pulled off ok.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A Centaur's Worries: The Horsemaid's Tail

OR

A Centaur's Worries (about the Stasi)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Samurai Flamenco is special and one of a kind and trying to ape it intentionally would be missing the point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chumbler posted:

I hope not.
me too, i'm just

after flamenco i now cant take any premise at its word anymore

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tbh the centaur anime feels so lifeless and stilted I don't think it is a very good adaptation.

Some parts are straight up emotionless line pause for 2 seconds then other characters react and say theoir emotionless lines

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm no manga reader but Ballroom was everything I wanted and more. I wish generic sports anime was this good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rangpur posted:

A Centaur's Worries: The Horsemaid's Tail

OR

A Centaur's Worries (about the Stasi)

Recent scans of the current volume (15) shows things like terrorists and frog people. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in that series and what the author is thinking.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like drugs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

Tbh the centaur anime feels so lifeless and stilted I don't think it is a very good adaptation.

Some parts are straight up emotionless line pause for 2 seconds then other characters react and say theoir emotionless lines

I don't think the voice actors are doing a terrible job, but yeah the editing and spacing between/around their lines is incredibly awkward.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Centaur's Worries is committing the worst sin - it's boring. A combination of poor directing, poor vocal pacing, mediocre animation at best, and a soundtrack that sounds like they paid a first year college music major two cases of beer to make all adds up to a show that feels like a chore to watch. I'm dropping it for now, even though I liked the manga for its wacky whiplash between super cute slice of life and utterly bizarre sci-fi acid trip stuff.

Ballroom continues to be great!

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 17, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hopefully the people making that show understand that you never go full Flamenco.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally sat and watched Isekai Shokudou and it's the cutest thing airing this season. :kimchi: So heart warming! So gentle! Just a show about a good cafe. Gonna watch the second ep now because gosh, I needed something this heartwarming.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kakegurui is gonna need some gambling stakes I can follow and care about beyond "Yumeko knows everything and immediately wins" to keep my interest, cuz it doesn't have much besides that to reccomended it. Hella stylish, tho.

Made in Abyss is very "cute ps1 game opening anime cutscene" and I like it a lot so far.

The Vatican show could really stand to lean into its camp sensibilities more often, it's snoozeville otherwise.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finally sat and watched Isekai Shokudou and it's the cutest thing airing this season. :kimchi: So heart warming! So gentle! Just a show about a good cafe. Gonna watch the second ep now because gosh, I needed something this heartwarming.

:yeah:

Mahoujin Guru Guru is a ton of fun too

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I highly, highly recommend against watching this show... late at night. The stomach pangs are real.

It is a perfect dinnertime show though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't think~ there's a Ballroom anime thread so I'm going to post these good faces here

The expressions in this show are great :3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

paragon1 posted:

Hopefully the people making that show understand that you never go full Flamenco.
i just pretend samflam ended at episode 6

i recognize that this is the contrary position but i maintain it still

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Or what if sentai shows are actually documentary, and they're imagining a world where they were just fiction to entertain children.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AnacondaHL posted:

I highly, highly recommend against watching this show... late at night. The stomach pangs are real.

It is a perfect dinnertime show though.

Tell me about it. Halfway through the first episode I paused and ran to cook up some sausage and a duck egg and have a treat. Then I ate it while watching the ep and the second one and :kimchi:

This is easily my feelgood anime of the year if it keeps up this quality!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Knorth posted:

I don't think~ there's a Ballroom anime thread so I'm going to post these good faces here

The expressions in this show are great :3

They're great, best part of the show by far so far. The lamest part is the still shot dance scenes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pootybutt posted:

Kakegurui is gonna need some gambling stakes I can follow and care about beyond "Yumeko knows everything and immediately wins" to keep my interest, cuz it doesn't have much besides that to reccomended it. Hella stylish, tho.

Have you seen episode 3?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pootybutt posted:

She fails to notice a critical detail in the third episode -- namely, that a third party was interfering with the game without her opponent realizing it either -- and takes a huge loss as a result. Her reaction to losing is fantastic, too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, I take back my mediocre rating of the production on Centaur's Worries after seeing episode two, this is real bad. Not only lazy but even borderline incompetent in some ways directing-wise, and the soundtrack is so so bad. Added on the budget animation and everything about the adaption is basically a let down which is a pity. I'll probably still continue watching though, since I can't really remember much of it given how long it's been since I read the manga and I still mostly enjoy the world-building. But man, the show would have been a lot better if it even just had competent VA direction/editing and a decent SoL soundtrack I feel like.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

They're great, best part of the show by far so far.

Yes. And they are being faithful to the manga in that sense, which also has a great variety of facial expressions.

quote:

The lamest part is the still shot dance scenes.

And yes.
I imagine it will improve once Tatara does the dancing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She fails to notice a critical detail in the third episode -- namely, that a third party was interfering with the game without her opponent realizing it either -- and takes a huge loss as a result. Her reaction to losing is fantastic, too.

The fact that they brought up the special challenge makes it feel like she aimed to deliberately lose so as to expend that one free challenge to the President.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

The fact that they brought up the special challenge makes it feel like she aimed to deliberately lose so as to expend that one free challenge to the President.

My impression is her plan was to keep making more and more dangerous bets, hoping that eventually one would fail horribly and let her do the challenge.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, she didn't want to lose on purpose, that'd be entirely against the point of putting it all on the line and seeing who comes out ahead. She aimed to win. But now she can make an even harder gamble to get ahead.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

All that matters to her, in the end, is having fun.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you seen episode 3?

I did. She still figures out instantly that she was cheated, and correctly guesses how. Plus, losing doesn't bother or hinder her at all. I'm still digging her character and reactions, but there are NO stakes here. It's the odd gambling show where I find myself unable to care about the games being played or even about who wins or loses, which IS very true to Yumeko herself, I suppose. Just happen to find that much less thrilling than she does.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 17, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pootybutt posted:

I did. She still figures out instantly that she was cheated, and correctly guesses how. Plus, losing doesn't bother or hinder her at all. I'm still digging her character and reactions, but there are NO stakes here. It's the odd gambling show where I find myself unable to care about the games being played or even about who wins or loses, which IS very true to Yumeko herself, I suppose. Just happen to find that much less thrilling than she does.

We do have a Thread that Moltrey made for this very show, you guys. Feel free to discuss over there. ;)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Corocoro announces it's premiering a Splatoon Anime on their YouTube Channel August 12. I'm hyped.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's short adaptations of the manga that iirc is written by the squid girl guy so it'll probably be funny

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Centaur worries ep 2 was good. The occasional pause in dialogue evokes a laid-back atmosphere like the early manga does similarly. There's decent char animation with cute faces, and the focal chars in shots are consistently on model. Everyone's cute imo and I especially enjoy how they casually set up the social acceptance in this world.

The best scene is the one midway through that opens up with a devil girl snuggling up to her fluffy bf,

introduces two lesbian chars (and the class prez bullying),

and wraps up the 'comfy angel wings' bit by using these two dudes

it's a good primer to the world-building aspect of the series and there's a lot of background details in this ep so I'm eager to see more like it. i might make a thread since i'm pretty sold on this adaptation

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I didn't get the complaints about Centaur's Worries either. It's not the most high budget production ever but the animation and voice acting were both perfectly fine. :shrug:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dangerous question of the day: why are the series' merfolk designed as fish from the knees down, opposed to the traditional waist down? Everything about this seems like a miserable existence for them :(

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lemon-Lime posted:

I didn't get the complaints about Centaur's Worries either. It's not the most high budget production ever but the animation and voice acting were both perfectly fine. :shrug:

The voice acting is fine, it's the pacing and rhythm of the conversations that feel unnatural and forced to me. Maybe it's my fault and not the show's, but I liked the manga and find the anime adaptation awkward to watch. I'm glad other people are enjoying it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Dangerous question of the day: why are the series' merfolk designed as fish from the knees down, opposed to the traditional waist down? Everything about this seems like a miserable existence for them :(

why the gently caress do you think

• Locked thread