Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Naw, just gotta steer into the skid. Wear some gold chains and silk pyjamas, and say things like "what's happenin' cool cats and kittens. "

Excuse me, I need to place an order on Amazon and fill out some name change forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Krispy Kareem posted:

I used to substitute and one day while doing attendance I was presented with the name Manlove.

Poor motherfucker. There’s no way he made it out of middle school alive.

He's probably got a car parts place or two in lower Delaware.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fun for all ages

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chard posted:

Fun for all ages

Sit n' Spin, even.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Krispy Kareem posted:

I used to substitute and one day while doing attendance I was presented with the name Manlove.

Poor motherfucker. There’s no way he made it out of middle school alive.
Hopefully he found a place he could be himself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I've never seen Lewis Black look so happy.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gaylord
Michigan 49735, USA

https://goo.gl/maps/nunDMWUpdLT2

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

So the one on the left is a buttplug what's the one on the right supposed to be?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Let me introduce you to the thrilling world of sounding :getin:

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
:frogon:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

First, imagine wet tissue paper. This is what the inside of your dick is like.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

:dogbutton:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

It's even more fun when he does readings! There's always someone in the audience who doesn't know what's about to happen (people leaving is common, vomiting or fainting, less so, but it still happens).

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's even more fun when he does readings! There's always someone in the audience who doesn't know what's about to happen (people leaving is common, vomiting or fainting, less so, but it still happens).

Actually fainting was extremely common, often more than one person a reading.

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/the-guts-effect

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

trapped mouse posted:

Well, he also says the pregnant from heavily diluted semen in chlorinated water was a true story, so I'd take Chuck's word with a big grain of salt.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Basically cheating, IMO.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ it looks like someone was degloved

Google degloving if you wanna barf all over yourself

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This dad knows whats up. In the hot summer all my shorts are crotch-less.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Does having children just completely break a parent's brain? I mean why would you take this picture in the first place.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

veedubfreak posted:

Does having children just completely break a parent's brain? I mean why would you take this picture in the first place.

To embarass the kid in high school when their friends come over.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Well, I can vouch for that one being true, at least for me. I was at a reading in a writing class in college and had to leave the room lest I vom.

That's one yucky story.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Praeda posted:

Who are these people that would go to one of his readings and yet have not been desensitized to gross stuff by the Internet ?

Like gently caress man just the memory of the three seconds I accidentally looked at the neck fungus lady pictures is worse than any mere words alone could ever be.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

veedubfreak posted:

Does having children just completely break a parent's brain?

Yes.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

veedubfreak posted:

Does having children just completely break a parent's brain?

Purple sand-scone

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bongwizzard posted:

Who are these people that would go to one of his readings and yet have not been desensitized to gross stuff by the Internet ?

People who think readings by published authors are supposed to be upscale, civilized events and don't bother/know how to google an author's work? There's plenty of people who will just see that an author is doing a reading and go without looking into the author's work much/at all.

I live in a "literary" town and people go to readings to see and be seen. Who's reading is often less important, as long as they're a big enough name (or locally famous).

trapped mouse posted:

This may have happened more in the early days, but I think people have caught on a lot since. Also, as Dienes noted, Palahniuk isn't exactly the most reputable source of accurate information. Still, exaggerated or not, it happens.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Sorry for the stupid words but it's a good pic, I think.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Also, isn't a key that he starts the story asking the audience to hold their breath, specifically for as long as the story is? And the story itself is probably well beyond how long the average person can hold their breath?

So some jerk who thinks some dude telling him 'hold your breath' is a challenge, after like 4 minutes they're probably going to pass out.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The entire thing sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me and probably just some pretentious lies about how his work is so important and meaningful that people literally faint or have to go have a cry.

I mean he literally says 'a week later her therapist called and asked for the piece to help with psychoanalyzing' and if that isn't just a pretentious artists version of 'everybody on the bus stood up and clapped' I don't know what is.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It happened one time at a reading, probably from something unrelated to the book, and the lore grew from there.

I like his books but I can't imagine anyone legitimately passing out from reading them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
that Guts story really bothers me

because it's so medically implausible and physiologically unsound and ignores the basics of human abdominal anatomy like "the intestines are nestled throughout and thoroughly connected to an entire lymphatic/circulatory/connective organ called the omentum and cannot be unspooled like a dropped ball of yarn" and "delta-P situations typically ensnare a flat plane of human tissue like a shoulderblade or abdomen, and must involve extreme gradients/very small portals to ensnare reticulated tissue like the perianal area, at which point escape is impossible rather than just disfiguring" and also "this sounds like an elaborate excuse by a kid who stuck something up his butt and perfed his sigmoid colon and also molested his little sister repeatedly until she got pregnant and tried to claim she must have encountered his jizz in the swimming pool."

I mean the story is well-tuned to the vagal nerve sympathy triggers of the human body-- anal and cervical trauma, vasopuncture, vigorous carotid massage, etc-- and probably does cause people to pass out from sympathetic vagal response. But it's such eye-rolling stdh that it reads like well-written reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

elise the great posted:

that Guts story really bothers me

because it's so medically implausible and physiologically unsound and ignores the basics of human abdominal anatomy like "the intestines are nestled throughout and thoroughly connected to an entire lymphatic/circulatory/connective organ called the omentum and cannot be unspooled like a dropped ball of yarn" and "delta-P situations typically ensnare a flat plane of human tissue like a shoulderblade or abdomen, and must involve extreme gradients/very small portals to ensnare reticulated tissue like the perianal area, at which point escape is impossible rather than just disfiguring" and also "this sounds like an elaborate excuse by a kid who stuck something up his butt and perfed his sigmoid colon and also molested his little sister repeatedly until she got pregnant and tried to claim she must have encountered his jizz in the swimming pool."

I mean the story is well-tuned to the vagal nerve sympathy triggers of the human body-- anal and cervical trauma, vasopuncture, vigorous carotid massage, etc-- and probably does cause people to pass out from sympathetic vagal response. But it's such eye-rolling stdh that it reads like well-written reddit.

I knew our beloved Factual Queen would come to save us. I KNEW IT!

• Locked thread