Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Today I woke up thinking, man, I really want to see Ed Kudlick's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Today I woke up thinking, man, I really want to see Ed Kudlick's rear end

Well I have another spandex clad dad rear end for you:

Zits

Reply All

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Is Edge of Adventure actually published in any newspapers or is it one of those cases of "webcomic that is so mind-numbingly bad it goes in this thread"?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

I seriously doubt it's published anywhere other than Gocomics, but it does have a newspaper connection in the presence of Jam Esallen.

By the way, remember when EoA used to pimp the "Adventurers Group" on Facebook? it's now almost entirely talking about Mark Trail with zero mention of EoA. Gosh I wonder why.

Anyway, have your Pros and Cons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Edge of Blotto

Who is surprised that Sam responds to Whatsername getting killed by getting drunk again? Good thing the bar is apparently made from wood grown in Galavant's Forest of Coincidence.

Esallen and Vorderbrug may dress their tale up in pulp trappings, but they just don't get pulp. A real pulp hero wouldn't bother with with this sort of weepy wallowing -- he would have run the assassin down and exacted fistic justice. But then, a chase scene through the waterfront of China Singapore would be hard to draw compared to Sam standing at a bar. Again.
Sadly, we've learned over the years that Jam Esallen doesn't know how to tell a loving story to save his life. It's not even that this isn't the pulp adventure he wanted it to be, it's barely a story at all.

Seriously, nothing has happened. Sam's wife and unborn kid get fridged in the clumsiest way possible, he leaves the country to try and move on, then he spends the better part of a year getting lit on a ship as he travels to China with another woman, who also gets fridged like two strips after they have sex. That's it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You forgot the cold open where he was dreaming that he was Buck Rogers about to bone a savage.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

You forgot the cold open where he was dreaming that he was Buck Rogers about to bone a savage.

I had forgotten about that, too, so I went back to have another look. And then I got the bright idea to read the comments on some of the older strips.

I, uh, how 'bout that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"better art than Dick Tracy" ahahaha

Mark Trail doesn't even have better writing than Dick Tracy and that's even kind of a low one to clear

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mark Trail doesn't even have better writing than Dick Tracy and that's even kind of a low one to clear
Hell, I'd say it doesn't even have the writing era of Locher-era Tracy. At least poo poo happened in that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:eyepop:

Even funnier than Mark Trail not having better art than Dick Tracy is that a year ago Jam was still heavily leaning on the house-style copy and paste so most of it wasn't his anyway, as opposed to recently where he's drawing more of it and it looks worse than Oh Baby.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound and Gagged

Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell I hate that second panel so much

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, hell, I took a look at Endtown and it's furry stuff, but judged in isolation there is no way Mark Trail has better art.

As for the "in and out of prison" comment, it looks like Vorderbrug's day job is prison guard. Plus he also lists himself as "ghost writer" for Mark Trail.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

When Edge of Adventure was first being posted I thought it was a newspaper comic parody like that one about the Art professor where every strip spent the first two panels recapping yesterday's strip, except this one spent every page almost doing something exciting, keeping you on the "edge of adventure".

Speaking of that parody strip about the art professor, what was it called again? I love it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Except this is a load of BS. My old district manager loved staffing the cash as it meant he had fewer hours payed out to his staff. If he kept the hours for the year low enough he saw a big bonus. So every hour he was on the register was another hour closer to a big pay out. Luckily he was a nice guy and I didn't mind, but if you needed hours to pay your bills, you were kind of hosed.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 17, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Speaking of that parody strip about the art professor, what was it called again? I love it.

Dewby Dawner, I think?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Oh hey, Mina is still part of Retail! Does she still have the internal monologue where she tells the reader how her only purpose in life is to backstab others so she can climb the corporate ladder?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set makes a wise investment.

Working Daze comes dangerously close to making an actual joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix kicks you when you're down.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

This story still adds up to 100 percent terrible.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Modesty what is happening to your face

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

This story still adds up to 100 percent terrible.
Is this a repeat or something? Isn't she engaged?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Fleep

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Endless Mike posted:

Is this a repeat or something? Isn't she engaged?

Infidelity (or sexual identity, for that matter) has never been something to bother Brooke, so long as someone's super attractive or really good at art. It is an offensive comic in nearly every way.

Edit:

Moomin on the Riviera Page 15

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 17, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, I'd say it doesn't even have the writing era of Locher-era Tracy. At least poo poo happened in that.
Sometimes several times in a row!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

Sometimes several times in a row!
I really, really wish I still had that edit someone had tracking all the loopbacks and repetition from the time it took Tracy like a week and a half/two weeks to draw a playing card.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I really liked the edits where more and more milk cartons kept popping up around Diet Smith. (And also the not edited ones where some amount of money in a briefcase kept changing every day and then I think the last story where the guy was in the back seat of a car and it took like 2 months to go off a bridge or something.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
All I know is that IT HAPPENED!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Wizard of Id

Baldo

BC

... I don't get this one.

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Big Nate

No new Wallace today so I'm skipping for now.

Curtis

Baby Blues

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Surely pixies have six limbs and are not insects!!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Literally the plot of an episode of The Twilight Zone. Anyone remember it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Say Nothing posted:

Literally the plot of an episode of The Twilight Zone. Anyone remember it?

Did the Twilight Zone episode end up with the main character actually being a terrorist who got amnesia from the explosion he caused because he was mad the government had his wife killed and then discovers there's another lady trapped near him and decides to tell the rescue team to rescue her instead because he knew they were sharing very limited oxygen

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is that an edit or is Zoe actually flipping the bird?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

Surely pixies have six limbs and are not insects!!

Technicality. They have insect wings (which are not limbs) while not being insects themselves

Tunicate posted:

Is that an edit or is Zoe actually flipping the bird?

She lacks a middle finger. Also, no, that's not what she's doing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tunicate posted:

It wasn't actually arsenic (arsenic isn't the one that tastes like almonds - that's cyanide). She was just trolling him while the sedatives kicked in.

There was also the time he tried that with MJ, and she beat him with a baseball bat so bad he had brain damage.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Apparently no one cares how Esme is doing.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I would also like to hear the answer to this question.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A woman????? :monocle: how strange my dear fellow, quite an occurrence to see a woman about these shores of merry South Dakota, she must have come in on a boat from the Orient.

• Locked thread