Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kylra posted:

Millions, probably.

Those were all illegal aliens and thus shouldn't be getting any healthcare anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, as we were chatting, I found out that Paul is not aware that:

the monday after the travel ban went into effect and there were the massive protests none of my coworkers who i talked to were aware it happened. we're about 20 minutes or so away from one of the airports that was swapped with protesters.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

To clarify, Johnson is upset that the changes won't go into effect.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Lemming posted:

They don't have a boogeyman in the white house to drum up gun sales, so they gotta do something.

Maybe there is no financial motive. Maybe the upper echelons of the NRA are filled with right-wing true-believer lunatics, and this is what they genuinely believe.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think that the greatest accomplishment of the GOP over the past 20 years has been that they haven't even really tried to say that they aren't evil, but have instead managed to get it into the public consciousness, especially among Democrat voters, that "both sides are the same." The Democratic Party has helped this in some ways, but it has primarily been a GOP strategy, and it has worked wonders in keeping the Democrat vote suppressed and Democratic voters detached.

Yeah, last time I got into that argument and pointed out that only Republicans actively hate and try to gently caress over the poor, the person I was talking with said "wait, have you forgotten about Bill Clinton's welfare reforms or Obama pushing for cutting Social Security???"

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

happyhippy posted:

They need to maintain their profits, when a black muslim and planned parenthood was intent on building FEMA death camps undercover of Operation Jadehelm it was easy to get Cletus to buy a fourth shotgun.

But now as America Is Great Again, no need to let Cletus Jr have that second glock. So the bad guys have to be either commies or the media.
And the commies are best buds with Trump, so media it is.
Oh, I totally get it, and see right through their scare tactics. I was being sarcastic.

They are such a loathsome organization. It takes a group of particularly black souled sociopaths to prey on people's fear like they do.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Maybe there is no financial motive. Maybe the upper echelons of the NRA are filled with right-wing true-believer lunatics, and this is what they genuinely believe.

I heard several public radio pieces about this is exactly what happened and I think there's also a documentary too. The older sane leadership got pushed out by giant POS.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the monday after the travel ban went into effect and there were the massive protests none of my coworkers who i talked to were aware it happened. we're about 20 minutes or so away from one of the airports that was swapped with protesters.

I'll sneak in some Marx into this. Read his book, or listen to this podcast, on how Napoleon the III took power on the back of the lumpenproletariat. It's a good analogue for today.

https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/886770991652716544

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't understand what they mean by this at all.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I will never understand the logic behind preppers insisting that they need 50 rifles in their house at all times.

Assuming they aren't making pretend, as most are, their logic is almost sound. World is dangerous, want to protect your family, get food and shelter together in case it all goes to poo poo. I'll even allow having a billion rounds of ammo because what the hell? It's all paranoia but it's at least understandable.

But you have TWO HANDS. What the hell are you going to do with fifty rifles? Do you have some sort of strong aversion to reloading?

Convergence posted:

Similar things have been posted before, but here's something the modern world is utterly unprepared for.

I think that without exaggeration this technology will result in a fundamental change in the way we view media and information. And probably for the worse. In 2020 this will be fully developed, and everyone will have it.

https://boingboing.net/2017/07/17/fake-obama-speech-is-the-begin.html

The reason I think this will not be important is that we already have someone like Trump legitimately saying terrible things without consequence. Will we get to a point where you can't trust any video? Yes, but considering that most people seem to believe obviously fake things (Ex: vaccine panic) and ignore obviously true things what's the loss?

We're in a post-truth, post-fact, post-reality world. The genie is never going back in the bottle.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 17, 2017

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, last time I got into that argument and pointed out that only Republicans actively hate and try to gently caress over the poor, the person I was talking with said "wait, have you forgotten about Bill Clinton's welfare reforms or Obama pushing for cutting Social Security???"

democrats actively try to gently caress over the poor but not for those reasons. both parties work for the interests of globalism and corporate tyranny. no self respecting woke individual should ever cast a vote for any of the two major parties

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

E:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What are your thoughts on NASA's child slave camp on Mars?

Wow, I just read like 5 pages of fried chicken chat and not one of you motherfuckers mentioned Bojangles. :colbert:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

democrats actively try to gently caress over the poor but not for those reasons. both parties work for the interests of globalism and corporate tyranny. no self respecting woke individual should ever cast a vote for any of the two major parties

by woke here are you talking about politically aware or on a tremendous amount of drugs because with your post history it could go either way

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Except for all the schools and social programs and social, after school programs.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

empty whippet box posted:

I don't understand what they mean by this at all.

McConnell told Centrist Republicans they could safely vote for the bill because the harsh Medicare cuts are so far in the future they aren't likely to actually occur. This pissed off Tea Party Johnson as he wants those cuts and thinks McConnell is not solidly enough behind them.

So Johnson may vote no because the bill doesn't go far enough for him

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

i am harry posted:

Except for all the schools and social programs and social, after school programs.

crumbs

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It's smoke sumthin bitch you gregarious fools.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

RuanGacho posted:

Autocorrect from gullible?

EDIT: Maybe garrulous?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, as we were chatting, I found out that Paul is not aware that:

Hell, I'm more informed and I get all my news from GBS

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RuanGacho posted:

what with his hatred of megacorps, strident online activism, and long history of exotic synthetic drug use he's pretty close to the idea Shadowrun lifestyle but can't recognize it

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Azhais posted:

Hell, I'm more informed and I get all my news from GBS

I can't even read GBS anymore, it's like reddit lite.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PhazonLink posted:

Is he's paying an arm and leg for the manly looking survivalist bucket of rice and beans and not doing the smart thing and buying a 50 lb bag at Costco?
He can't cook rice and his beans are pretty bad, too. But in my town they sell MREs at WinCo, so I doubt he's bothering to buy overpriced prepper buckets as opposed to just hitting up the bulk aisle.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Extensive Vamping posted:

I can't even read GBS anymore, it's like reddit lite.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825946

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PhazonLink posted:

I heard several public radio pieces about this is exactly what happened and I think there's also a documentary too. The older sane leadership got pushed out by giant POS.
1967 NRA Leadership conference in uhh, Montana or Colorado, iirc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's a bizarre state of affairs where a man's life hangs in the balance and his recovery may lead to thousands of deaths.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

The horseshoe theory thread is called Democrats are a waste, FYI.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah in a serious situation where society collapses they would be the first ones pillaged and looted since taking out one guy / a family will get you an armory in return.

Either that or they hoard sawed offs because they like to cosplay as Reaper.

The best thing about this is they are more then happy to advertise their armory by plastering their car/lawn with 2nd amendment slogans. A giant sign that says "I have valuables please take them."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

The horseshoe theory thread is called Democrats are a waste, FYI.

that's not what horseshoe theory means (since our parties are far right and center-right).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I'm not a loving baby, Paul! [Makes fire truck nose]

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Hollismason posted:

It's a bizarre state of affairs where a man's life hangs in the balance and his recovery may lead to thousands of deaths.

Really makes the "First, do no harm" thing a real quandary.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

i'm really really curious what your favorite fast food place is

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

skylined! posted:

Who's the lady in your avatar?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's not what horseshoe theory means (since our parties are far right and center-right).

The people in the thread aren't center right, genius.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skylined! posted:

I bet it serves raw milk.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

I'm not going to judge a man's quirks so long as he's groping firetruck horns and not women. The firetruck is very fit, after all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BadOptics posted:

E:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What are your thoughts on NASA's child slave camp on Mars?

Wow, I just read like 5 pages of fried chicken chat and not one of you motherfuckers mentioned Bojangles. :colbert:

popeyes tbqh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How can you fail at cooking rice? There's a one button machine to do it for you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What even is the special procedure if McCain cannot return to the Senate? Possible re-election? Governor appointment? Then special election?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

The people in the thread aren't center right, genius.

horseshoe theory isn't real so i was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you made the less dumb of two mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hollismason posted:

What even is the special procedure if McCain cannot return to the Senate? Possible re-election? Governor appointment? Then special election?

If he doesn't die or resign, then gop is stuck with a nonvoting senator

• Locked thread