Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I don't know why these nitwits are so dismissive of procgen assets in NMS or Elite, when the handcrafted poo poo that we've already seen from CIG (all the space stations and space bases and space corridors) are an indistinguishable blur of super generic sci fi design with DRAMATIC LIGHTING.

That crashed ship where Croberto did battle with The Worm was pretty decent tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

ManofManyAliases posted:

Next week, they're doing one of their happy hour episodes where they are going to demo the SOLeD system they built to build-out the proc gen systems. Do we think that it really cannot be done?

Okay, we've got to be very specific about what we're talking about here. I'll try and break down my viewpoint.

Can they create a massive ball of mass that is the basis of a planet? Yes
Can they use procedural techniques to give the planet form. Hills, valleys, seas, that type of thing? Yes
Can they then paint various 'Biomes' onto the surface to make one area desert, another area snow, another area rock and grass etc.? Yes
Can they plop down a few 'set-piece' prefab wrecks or buildings which can act as points of interest? Yes
Can they make the landscape interesting enough that 'a normal person' would want to actually explore it? I'm thinking waterfalls, beautiful beaches with palm trees, smoldering volcanoes, that type of thing. No
Can they place enough (semi-unique) 'points of interest' to realistically fill a planet for gameplay purposes? I'm saying that wherever you land there needs to be something within about 20km of you most of the time so that if you get out and wander about you have half a chance of finding something. Nope
Can they demonstrate visiting this planet direct from your Olisar bunk without any cuts and without any loading screens? No. I believe they can create pretty planets 'in-editor' but I don't believe they are integrated to the PU.
Will there be any AI or life on the planets? No.
Will they demonstrate more than 4 players meeting in one instance? No.

That's my benchmark list. Looking forward to seeing how many I get!

e. formatting

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Next week, they're doing one of their happy hour episodes where they are going to demo the SOLeD system they built to build-out the proc gen systems. Do we think that it really cannot be done?

The only thing CIG can do well are sales and promises that wouldn't be kept.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Meridian posted:

Watching that thread melt down on release was glorious.

I remember arguing with some dude who seems to post really smug poo poo on a lot of threads - Zaphod? - as he was convinced the ship battles would be some complicated set of resistances and poo poo that you could work around with different ammo types... like, NMS' trailer was some horseshit but aside from that virtually everything they showed and said about the game pointed to it being a shallow experience of "go look at the stuff we came up with while doing really basic tasks"

which also means I was nearly satisfied with what I got at release (it's a shame the game was so ugly and surprisingly punishing to play), hooray for managing your own expectations

(ask me about buying some fancy edition of Spore :( )

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

Okay, we've got to be very specific about what we're talking about here. I'll try and break down my viewpoint.

Can they create a massive ball of mass that is the basis of a planet? Yes
Can they use procedural techniques to give the planet form. Hills, valleys, seas, that type of thing? Yes
Can they then paint various 'Biomes' onto the surface to make one area desert, another area snow, another area rock and grass etc.? Yes
Can they plop down a few 'set-piece' prefab wrecks or buildings which can act as points of interest? Yes
Can they make the landscape interesting enough that 'a normal person' would want to actually explore it? I'm thinking waterfalls, beautiful beaches with palm trees, smoldering volcanoes, that type of thing. No
Can they place enough (semi-unique) 'points of interest' to realistically fill a planet for gameplay purposes? I'm saying that wherever you land there needs to be something within about 20km of you most of the time so that if you get out and wander about you have half a chance of finding something. Nope
Can they demonstrate visiting this planet direct from your Olisar bunk without any cuts and without any loading screens? No. I believe they can create pretty planets 'in-editor' but I don't believe they are integrated to the PU.
Will there be any AI or life on the planets? No.
Will they demonstrate more than 4 players meeting in one instance? No.

That's my benchmark list. Looking forward to seeing how many I get!

e. formatting

That's pretty generous actually.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

D_Smart posted:

According to my sources, what GameStar wrote about 5-10 systems "at launch", doesn't appear to be true. My thoughts.

YES! The long awaited July blog!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Don't forget about the slave girls.

Well that's plan B after I buy a torpedo by accident and lose all of my money from hunting. I figure the slave girl market must be present, and I'll wear the official "A Goon Naysayer" collar so that I only get half pay from the privileged believers.

Some day I too may jet amongst the stars, sailing between 1 of maybe 7 places of interest to join in the commodities trading venue. :allears:

But I'll only be sure to set up my trade empire between x-2 planets, so that in a year when I find myself beginning to get bored, I'll go see one of these new places and explore the mysteries that await!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Looks like the Descent Underground guys have launched their answer to Star Citizen's crowd-funding system

https://www.brightlocker.com/

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Looks like the Descent Underground guys have launched their answer to Star Citizen's crowd-funding system

https://www.brightlocker.com/

Wrong thread.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I prefer the buy a game after it's done method of funding.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

big nipples big life posted:

I prefer the buy a game after it's done method of funding.

TBH, I generally go for the 'wait until it's in the Steam/Humble sale, buy it and never install it' method of funding.

Dat backlog...

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

The Titanic posted:

:(

Well this is a sad post. I hope this guy gets some help or love.

Why? 3.0 is right around the corner!

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Also I apologize for my mean dog comment before. A pit disfigured my friend's arm so her left arm now has the strength and dexterity of an old woman (I witnessed this) and it makes me kneejerk sometimes. Just read up on how to train them but I assume you have already. Sorry again.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

According to my sources, what GameStar wrote about 5-10 systems "at launch", doesn't appear to be true. My thoughts.

This is what a seamless transition looks like in ED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAEVScpGQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Zsvns4FrI&t=135s

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thirsty Dog posted:

I remember arguing with some dude who seems to post really smug poo poo on a lot of threads - Zaphod?

Zaphod42. He's one of the few people i have on ignore because he's combative as gently caress about weird things.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And I mean deep, loving licks. Imagine it was someone you really cared about...

Thirsty, aincha?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Hav posted:

Zaphod42. He's one of the few people i have on ignore because he's combative as gently caress about weird things.

Zaphod42 defended / white knighted No Man's Sky..........

His only competition for biggest piece of human garbage is forums user Duck and Cover.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Looks so cool until about 1/2 way through when the compromises become apparent. That is just where we are with technology at the moment I feel. You can get the landscape looking great at aircraft heights above ground, a few hundred feet even, but we just don't have the technology to make a convincing planetscape at ground level for gaming purposes.

You need such a level of detail and so much variation to be convincing. Games like Witcher 3, GTA V and Just Cause are heading in the right direction but they're hand crafted and you're still talking 10's of sq/km rather than the millions needed for a planet. Anyone talking about filling a planet with content in 2017, doesn't realize how big a planet is.

Maybe in a few years but I'm betting it's not Star Citizen that takes us there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thirsty Dog posted:

which also means I was nearly satisfied with what I got at release (it's a shame the game was so ugly and surprisingly punishing to play), hooray for managing your own expectations
You should try playing the survival mode they patched in. It's even more hilariously punishing and not even in the repetition way of the original.

Like, forty-minutes trying to find resources to get off the first planet ooops you ran into two pirates once you got into space and they killed you instantly punishing.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

And if you did happen to have the tech to create procedurally worlds en masse populated with interesting-enough stuff to make emergent gameplay possible, you wouldn't waste the tech on a 3rd rate derivative-of-a-derivative-of-a-derivative scifi property like Star Citizen.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

runsamok posted:

And if you did happen to have the tech to create procedurally worlds en masse populated with interesting-enough stuff to make emergent gameplay possible, you wouldn't waste the tech on a 3rd rate derivative-of-a-derivative-of-a-derivative scifi property like Star Citizen.

:perfect:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Can it be done? Of course it can. Can Chris Roberts do it? No. Can programmers under his direction do it? No. This isn't about technology, money, goals, or game development. It's about the most worthless of the "old guard" of developers stealing money to relive glory days that never were. Richard Garriott and Peter Molyneux may have shat on their legacies, but at least they earned those legacies. CR was a lucky hack who came back to steal money from the mentally disadvantaged. Blindly accepting that he's a game developer is how all these people got scammed. If that $150 million could go back in the pockets of all the backers and respent on a company without CR running it, we'd have Star Citizen in 3 years.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Derek MUST be OSC because my insane moron brain couldn't handle the idea that he isn't."

:allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

"Derek MUST be OSC because my insane moron brain couldn't handle the idea that he isn't."

Nice try, derek.

Edit: so that was *Sandi* as confirmed by Reddit. Well, well.

Hav fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 18, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What's really going to mess with their heads is when they find out that Derek is the sock puppet.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

What's really going to mess with their heads is when they find out that Derek is the sock puppet.

And we're all personas of Tony Harrison, the man in Chris' math class whose thunder he stole that one day.

Tony plays the long game and never forgets.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nsmag/comment/dkbuz98?st=J58UGO98&sh=1d48dcf7

One moon in SC will have more content than witcher 3 and skyrim!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ManofManyAliases posted:

It bothers you, does it? To think that my wanting to hold on to my digital goods is something brainless and unwarranted, and not because of some other reason I won't discuss.

This coming from the guy who was so bothered by people here laughing at Star Citizen he registered for the forums.

Ghostlight posted:

CIG realises all too late their coding for doors wasn't causing the doors to break, it was causing them to become alive and aware, and they've been sabotaging the project in order to gain freedom ever since. Eh? Eh? Derek Smart? Door-ek Smart? SMART DOOR?!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ManofManyAliases posted:

It bothers you, does it? To think that my wanting to hold on to my digital goods is something brainless and unwarranted, and not because of some other reason I won't discuss.

you've already discussed it, and we laughed long and hard when you said you believe you've set yourself up for a 4x return on "investment"

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1 or 100 systems, it won't matter if they can't have servers running with more than 4 people at any given moment.

gently caress yeah, this mmo's gonna be bitchin' as I constantly disconnect from the servers while the mainframe begins to melt. FIDELITY!!!!!!!

Seriously though, they are using aws as their infanstructure, they will literally have to launch a series of vm's each time a javelin is used, this isn't loving cheap. It's going to cost a gently caress load to run these. I feel we aren't addressing this enough.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LOL!! OMG! A performance art GIF is sexual harassment now. These are some seriously broken brained people.

Beet Wagon posted:

I love watching them tie themselves in knots. I have to believe that they know he's not me, but like their pretend JPEGs, they pretend he is me so they can attack me by proxy. It's a brilliant psychological warfare plan if you ask me.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Didn't one of their network guys admit they didn't know how to enforce a limit on the number of players in a single physics grid if more than x number of people wanted to converge in one spot?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

starkebn posted:

you've already discussed it, and we laughed long and hard when you said you believe you've set yourself up for a 4x return on "investment"

Yeah, good times :grin:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

BeigeJacket posted:

Again I ask, how much loving RAM would all these planets and moons and so forth require if there's not supposed to be any loading screens?

This is a trick question. There will be no planets or moons. 0GB

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 18, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 18, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Remember this part from my article above?

quote:

“Nobody here reads what chris and erin tell the media. We still have to deal with scripted and directed shows most don’t want to be in. So if he told G* we’re planning that number at launch, I personally don’t know about it. It could be one of those things he just prattles on about or a lost in translation thing. Did they say he said that, or was it coming from a designer they met with? We don’t even have a launch date for either game, so how can that person know how many systems we would have at launch? Did you see the chatter on Spectrum related to Levski not being in 3.0 and a designer who should know but didn’t? It’s like the loan, none of us knew until we read about it online. I didn’t know about it until I got the chatter about Ortwin’s official statement on Spectrum. I saw your other email about an MVP. We don’t have that. Nobody is working toward that. We are just working on what we have to and doing the best that we can. I will check around about that other thing* and get back you, but I don’t know what they are planning now because 3.0 isn’t in any state to be released in Aug. Keep watching the schedule for the pattern I mentioned in my other email.”

I have more coming. It's hilarious.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016