Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm still waiting on some kind of restoration of Martin.

The Arrow Films DVD is apparently the best the film has ever looked on video and is supposedly an all region disc. I still haven't picked it up though so I can't confirm any of this. I just have the Anchor Bay disc. In any case, avoid the Lionsgate DVD because it's in the wrong aspect ratio.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Crazies loving rules

I like it, but it's a bit of a slog which is why it's probably so overlooked. It's also one of his more cynical films, which is saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spent too much on criteroins but got four I always wanted; hausu, hidden fortress, dreams and muholland drive

But arrow are my favorite company, especially all the Kung fu they've released

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

CPL593H posted:

The Arrow Films DVD is apparently the best the film has ever looked on video and is supposedly an all region disc.

it's region locked

CPL593H posted:

it's a bit of a slog

:chloe:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Crazies (both versions) is a bad movie, but Romero was cool and good.

Original Crazies is fantastic if you can keep in mind that it was made on basically no money. The scale is way larger than the budget is capable of.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rusty Staub posted:

it's region locked

I thought it might be, but I've heard all kinds of conflicting information about the region status of that and other Arrow releases. Some ebay sellers I see with it say it's region free and others say it's region 2 and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. This is why I was hesitant to buy it. That said, the Anchor Bay DVD which has the film in the correct aspect ratio can be had for under 20 bucks usually.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$4.99 - The World's End (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-E...46af18dc4d1ccfb
$7.99 - Django Unchained (Steelbook) https://www.amazon.com/Django-Uncha...af7548a4cfe6311

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 17, 2017

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Criterion Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is loving magical.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

caligulamprey posted:

The Criterion Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is loving magical.

Apparently the cover looks different under a blacklight.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My pre-order of the Criterion Stalker shipped from Amazon and will be here tomorrow :swoon: Can’t wait to watch that. I’m sure it’ll be breathtaking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My pre-order of the Criterion Stalker shipped from Amazon and will be here tomorrow :swoon: Can’t wait to watch that. I’m sure it’ll be breathtaking.

I'm trying to not even think about it and then it will just show up at my office one day in the next week. Can't loving wait.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm hoping my local B&N will have that tomorrow so I can pick it up. :ohdear:

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Criterion Barry Lyndon?!?! Yes loving please.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Disney lost the rights to the Studio Ghibli catalog. GK Kids will be distributing the films now.

I wouldn't expect any huge difference since Disney's Blu-Rays are from the same masters, but GK will probably do a better job subtitling. Apparently, Disney opted for "dubtitles" rather than more accurate translations of the Japanese.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Disney lost the rights to the Studio Ghibli catalog. GK Kids will be distributing the films now.

I wouldn't expect any huge difference since Disney's Blu-Rays are from the same masters, but GK will probably do a better job subtitling. Apparently, Disney opted for "dubtitles" rather than more accurate translations of the Japanese.

I only started watch the Ghibli films this year. I guess I should stock up now just to be sure.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I only started watch the Ghibli films this year. I guess I should stock up now just to be sure.

Most have been marked down at Best Buy. I recently picked up My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and The Cat Returns.

The transfers are breathtaking, though. Apparently, most of them are 6K scans of the camera negatives and mastered at 4K.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Most have been marked down at Best Buy. I recently picked up My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and The Cat Returns.

The transfers are breathtaking, though. Apparently, most of them are 6K scans of the camera negatives and mastered at 4K.

I own Nausica, Kiki and Totoro. I regret not watching any of these earlier.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Does this mean another silly $200 collector's set (that somehow doesn't have most of the extras)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

gkids might just be sublicensing them from disney because they should still have the disney-produced dubs

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently, Disney opted for "dubtitles" rather than more accurate translations of the Japanese.

If I remember correctly, they resolved the subtitles/dubtitles issue for the Hayao Miyazaki set a few years back, and every disc in that set has proper subs (plus the Nausicaa credits issue was fixed, as I understand it).

But the individual releases (i.e. anything Miyazaki didn't direct) still suffer from that problem.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oh well, just picked up Nausicaa and The Wind Rises from Best Buy since they were $12.

They didn't have Porco Rosso, though. :argh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Criterion licensed Barry Lyndon from Warner :aaa:
Criterion did a new 4K remaster of Barry Lyndon :aaaaa:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like all the Miyazaki films will be re-issued in October - same transfers, but new QC. Sounds like they're supposed to be duplicates of the Japanese editions, except made English-friendly.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Criterion licensed Barry Lyndon from Warner :aaa:
Criterion did a new 4K remaster of Barry Lyndon :aaaaa:

It's likely the same base transfer as Warner's disc, but they're going to frame it at 1.66:1 instead of Warner's 1.78:1 and include the original mono track in addition to the 5.1 remix.

I'd also expect it to be a better encode, which was the case with Dr. Strangelove (same 4K master as Sony, but slightly better compression).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 18, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Barry Lyndon absolutely rules. It has this reputation as a dry and even boring costume drama but although it is certainly a bit slow paced in parts it is just as funny as it is gorgeous.

Kubrick in general really benefits from HD. I saw a lot of his films on DVD, a couple on VHS, and seeing them later in their full glory was so much better.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 18, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Barry Lyndon absolutely rules. It has this reputation as a dry and even boring costume drama but although it is certainly a bit slow paced in parts it is just as funny as it is gorgeous.

Kubrick in general really benefits from HD. I saw a lot of his films on DVD, a couple on VHS, and seeing them later in their full glory was so much better.

The day I bought 2001 on bluray I watched it and realized for the first time that the space satellites all had military flags on them, which changed the meaning of the entire movie for me.

Before, it was oh, white stick shaped satellites, they're tools like the bone was a tool and they're gonna be the tools that help mankind venture out.

Now it's oh, they're murder weapons just like the bone was a murder weapon, and mankind has evolved technologically for millions of years but is still a bunch of hateful murderous fucks.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 18, 2017

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like all the Miyazaki films will be re-issued in October - same transfers, but new QC. Sounds like they're supposed to be duplicates of the Japanese editions, except made English-friendly.

it's not just miyazaki films, it's all of ghibli's films other than grave of the fireflies and the wind rises. so stuff like my neighbors the yamadas will get a bluray in the US for the first time ever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any word on if they'll be cheaper

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
It'll be interesting to see which version of Nausicaa they'll release. The one that Ghibli released as part of the Miyazaki Collection looked quite different from the first standalone edition.

I have mostly bought the Hong Kong editions of Miyazaki's films because they are generally identical to the Japanese ones and much cheaper. I did get the JP Porco Rosso because it includes the Italian dub that Miyazaki himself is quite fond of (Jean Reno is a very good Porco).

Egbert Souse posted:

It's likely the same base transfer as Warner's disc, but they're going to frame it at 1.66:1 instead of Warner's 1.78:1 and include the original mono track in addition to the 5.1 remix.

Hm, I doubt they'd refer to it as a new scan if they used a six years old one. Also, my guess is that the Warner disc from 2011 is 2K. It's an acceptable release, but I expect a massive improvement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not sure I'd be willing to replace all of my collection, but if I could at least get a version of Mononoke without dubtitles that would be swell (assuming they fix that). Were any other releases as bad as that one, I can't recall.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

never forget the best fan project out there:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Just let me enjoy my cartoons, please.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I would watch the poo poo out of this in utter fascination in the exact same way I watched the Love Conquers All cut of Brazil.

FUN FACT: Troma was the original distributor for My Neighbor Totoro.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think this is news, but T2 finally has a release date and specs. October 3rd on Blu-ray and 4k. As far as I can tell, no 3D in the US.

blu-ray.com posted:

SPECIAL FEATURES AND SPECS:
BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION of the film supervised by director James Cameron
NEW "T2: Reprogramming the Terminator" 55 Minute Documentary Including Exclusive Interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and More
Two Feature Commentaries including 23 members of the cast and crew, including director James Cameron and co-author William Wisher
"The Making of T2" 30 Minute Featurette
Seamless Branching to View 3 Different Versions of the Movie
Two Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary
Original Trailers

LIMITED EDITION BOX SET CONTENT:
Life-sized Terminator EndoArm
Each limited-edition EndoArm unit includes a uniquely numbered sticker, featuring the signature of writer-director James Cameron

4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
Audio: English DTS:X Audio, DTS Headphone:X™ Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and English 5.1 DTS Digital Surround Audio
Subtitles: English SDH/Spanish

BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
Audio: English DTS:X Audio, DTS Headphone:X Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and English 5.1 DTS Digital Surround Audio

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I got the Miyazaki box set when it was new for like 150 and was super worth it. One of my favorite box sets. Yeah, most of the features aren't there, but what's really missing that's so great? The making ofs? Those are all on youtube.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I think this is news, but T2 finally has a release date and specs. October 3rd on Blu-ray and 4k. As far as I can tell, no 3D in the US.

I'm surprised that no one has bothered trying to update the exhaustive supplements on the 2000 Ultimate Edition. Even the Extreme Edition DVD omitted everything except the commentary.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm surprised that no one has bothered trying to update the exhaustive supplements on the 2000 Ultimate Edition. Even the Extreme Edition DVD omitted everything except the commentary.

I still have the Ultimate Edition, just for those extras.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I still have the Ultimate Edition, just for those extras.

Me too. I just wish I bought it early enough to get the metal sleeve.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pink Flamingos isn't on bluray?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are you at all shocked by this?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope now that Criterion's released Multiple Maniacs, they start releasing other John Waters movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Are you at all shocked by this?

Yeah. It's one of those "oh yeah, I should see this." movies and I looked to see if Vudu had it, they didn't, so I checked Amazon for a Blu-ray on the cheap and it didn't even exist.

• Locked thread