Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they did an AMA on reddit today where half the questions were giving them a hard time about art design so i think they got the message, i'm curious where it goes since the stuff we saw is technically "pre-alpha", whatever that means.

i do have some sympathy the Icons people with people just calling two of their characters marth/fox clones since that's sort of the point - if you want to attract a fanbase which has been playing the same loving game for well over a decade you need something that they can immediately transfer their skills to before experimenting with other stuff. it's the same reason fox/falco/marth/shiek/peach weren't changed notably in Project: M, they wanted to make it so people who showed up at tournaments to play Melee could dual-enter P:M events and just play their melee main and have it not feel like poo poo since that actually got the hooks in for people to play more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Icons is a terrible name for a game full of nobody characters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

PLEASE SELECT YOUR ICON

*highlights recycling bin*

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

this is also a god damned excellent point.

the name is super loving god damned bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

half of the people here could make a far better game than sfv given access to the same resources

I would make a Quake 1 sequel

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I remember reading a magazine article decades ago talking about how Quake was originally supposed to be a first-person fighting game so that sounds right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

poo poo i could probably call Id and just license their engine.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

names are really hard. but icons is especially bad. it doesn't speak to any sort of identity at all. it doesn't conjure any images or mean anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NecroMonster posted:

names are really hard. but icons is especially bad. it doesn't speak to any sort of identity at all. it doesn't conjure any images or mean anything.

Icons, the fighting game about playing as ornately decorated pictures of Orthodox saints.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

at least put a verb into the drat name

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
"Icons" sounds like garbageware cell phone game.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

No iphones, candy crush icon only, final destination

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i wish them the best of luck. I would like the game to be good. and there needs to be more smash style games because that gameplay space needs some more exploration that i'm psure just isn't going to come from any actual smash branded games.

but i'm doing all of this with my usual pessimism

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
icon't believe it's not melee!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The name Icon just reminds me of the death of Def Jam fighting games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I can't believe how excited I am to see Geese mothertfucking Howard in Tekken 7. Akuma plays very well on the switch to 3D, and Geese looks terrific in the previews. It's like other companies are finally figuring out that character crossups and special guests are a good thing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Icons, the fighting game about playing as ornately decorated pictures of Orthodox saints.

No 1 will get this joke but I did

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Geese Howard is gonna be epic as poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

No 1 will get this joke but I did

I think anybody with a catholic education will. I got it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
all the platform fighters these days have a selling point that's either "it's smash except not" or "it's just smash" and maybe when they stop trying to hitch the wagon to a dead horse we'll finally get something appealing to play

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

half of the people here could make a far better game than sfv given access to the same resources

I would just make xrd without yrc slowdown, raven or chipp

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

NecroMonster posted:

I would probably do 3rd strike again

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dragon enthusiast posted:

all the platform fighters these days have a selling point that's either "it's smash except not" or "it's just smash" and maybe when they stop trying to hitch the wagon to a dead horse we'll finally get something appealing to play

That's not true, some of them are not-Power Stone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i just want a game with vsav combos but guilty gear movement

and two-button pushblock

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

dragon enthusiast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rqcF3nrWns

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Throw up the Roc buddy.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
As a dude who played smash for way too long, you probably can't recreate smash.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Are you loving kidding me

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Are you loving kidding me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChEj9m1kwsw

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember reading a magazine article decades ago talking about how Quake was originally supposed to be a first-person fighting game so that sounds right
From 1990:

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

I just watched a recommended vid of a RRH apple infinite and I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Bitch Twinkles posted:

I just watched a recommended vid of a RRH apple infinite and I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

http://shrekboards.proboards.com/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna revisit the DBFZ discussion from yesterday, because there were a few comments sent my way.

I understand ArcSys's pedigree and their ability to make diverse, interesting characters, but at the same time, this isn't an original property. They are bound, in some ways, by the fact it's a licensed game and being bound by the image of Dragon Ball. And again, I'm not worried about the mechanics, or the technical aspects of the game, or how certain characters interact with one another; it's mostly visual aspects and what I like most out of the franchise. I feel like that if the game is going to hold my interest, it needs to look outside of Z, and while they've talked about other fighters than the ones we've seen, that could mean Krillin, or Yamcha, or Tien, just as much as it could potentially mean characters from Super with their weird powers and crazier designs.

So my interest in the game is riding on something that's pretty up in the air at this point, it feels like.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Custom Gecko Codes?

Currently, the main reason for this is to disable items. There is no in-game switch to disable them, so we have had to resort to modding them out. We believe this is necessary as the items are very obnoxious and ruin a lot of otherwise viable stages. The Disable Items code is not perfect yet, and discussion of it's shortcomings and development can be found here. We also use Gecko codes to unlock all the characters and stages.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna revisit the DBFZ discussion from yesterday, because there were a few comments sent my way.

I understand ArcSys's pedigree and their ability to make diverse, interesting characters, but at the same time, this isn't an original property. They are bound, in some ways, by the fact it's a licensed game and being bound by the image of Dragon Ball. And again, I'm not worried about the mechanics, or the technical aspects of the game, or how certain characters interact with one another; it's mostly visual aspects and what I like most out of the franchise. I feel like that if the game is going to hold my interest, it needs to look outside of Z, and while they've talked about other fighters than the ones we've seen, that could mean Krillin, or Yamcha, or Tien, just as much as it could potentially mean characters from Super with their weird powers and crazier designs.

So my interest in the game is riding on something that's pretty up in the air at this point, it feels like.

i think I'm more willing than you are to let that particular issue slide, but I do agree with the potential criticism. there's reasons Sonic Boom, Kikoken, Tiger Shot, and even Akuma's fireball all look completely different from Ryu's Hadouken even though they're all similar projectiles; it makes the characters look unique, it's easier to see what's going on, they AREN'T actually identical, etc.

i have no idea if a lot of the fireballs in DBFZ actually do different things aside from the really obvious ones, like if goku's tiny plasma spam is different than vegeta's. even some that are obviously different, like trunk's Burning Attack, are still that same color and it looks samey. since dbz is an established franchise with all this stuff predetermined they'll either need to break some rules (make characters have different color energy even when they normally dont) or start pulling a lot of non-mainline characters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's the thing. They don't really have to do that. A lot of the Super characters are pretty mainstream now, appearing in multiple Dragon Ball games already.

We could have poo poo like Goku Black and his straight out of a teenager's fanfic dark energy scythe, Zamasu's weird angelic beam attack, Hit's time manipulation, all sorts of stuff. Or hell, just use Super Saiyan Blue - you've got golden Frieza right there.

It really just comes down to what they decide to show off after the saiyans I guess. Like I said, I'm not totally down on the game, I'm just explaining why I'm worried.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They will use the fan favorite characters that will sell the game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This franchise has progressed enough in the last five years that what you said and what I said are not two mutually exclusive concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Shrek Superslam Evo 2018.