Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I remember about Lost was one character in the last season whose actor insisted she was "on every page" of the finale then got unceremoniously dropped (apparently because she was difficult to work with but who knows why it happened).

Sheila Kelley? She must have had a GREAT publicist, because she came in as a minor character in the final season and lasted all of 5 episodes but managed to get multiple "HAS ALL THE ANSWERS TO THE ISLAND" write-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Was Jennifer Aniston pregnant irl at the same time as Rachel was? Because dang that lady kept it tight immediately after

Jennifer Aniston has never been pregnant, although tabloids for a while would claim she was like weekly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

If How I Met Your Mother can have a plan, nobody else has an excuse.

Not that I'm saying HIMYMs plan was good. It's probably the worst example I could use.

That's the thing though. HIMYM is an example of how adhering to a planned ending solely on the principle of "we have a plan" can result in a worse outcome than letting the story develop more organically. Only the end result matters.

Douglas Adams wrote HHGTTG with no plan whatsoever and the result is some of the best comedy writing ever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On the one hand you have Babylon 5 where JMS had a solid idea of where he wanted to go but kept flexibility in the episodes. At the other end you have half the shows on TV where they're lucky if they even have a plan for the season, let alone the series. Either side works fine if you match it to the kind of show; if you're going to make a point of introducing big mystery questions you should probably have SOME idea of an answer, even if that changes later. Note that "there's not going to be an answer" can be a valid answer a la Twin Peaks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the thing though. HIMYM is an example of how adhering to a planned ending solely on the principle of "we have a plan" can result in a worse outcome than letting the story develop more organically. Only the end result matters.

Douglas Adams wrote HHGTTG with no plan whatsoever and the result is some of the best comedy writing ever.

The thing that hurt HIMYM the most was Ted Moseby.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna smoke a ton of weed and rewatch Patriot again. Maybe sprinkle in some Mr. Robot season 2 (which is now on Prime for free).

The first episode of BSG was really very good and Baltar was really very good and that's all I remember about the entire show, except that it had a spinoff that was like a soap opera with no sci fi elements at all or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, I already said that the season finale of season 3 of BSG was the point where it became undeniable that the Cylons had no plan and the writers were just doing random poo poo. You aren't disagreeing with me.
I'm sorry if there's a missunderstanding. What I meant was "from the experience of watching two whole seasons of BSG, it should be apparent that there is not a unified plan". I thought you were saying it was like, one event that made it clear, but it seems more like you meant it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

quote:

Seriously? First season of Arrow, Merlyn wants to blow up the poor part of town to get revenge for his wife who was(in his mind) murdered by the very people she was trying to help. He takes logical, rational steps to achieve that goal. First season of iZombie, Blaine wants to turn a bunch of rich and important people in town into zombies so he can get rich selling them brains and be above the law. He takes logical steps to achieve that goal.

There's so many examples of TV show with villains who have a goal and proceed towards that goal in a logical manner

1-season arcs are not the same thing as over-arching plots for an entire series. Of course lots and lots of shows have planned and executed season-arcs that make sense. Because show's can't always plan to be renewed, series arc are often much less certain.

which reminds me: how has this season of iZombie been? I stopped watching it because the CW app onthe 360 is basically unusable. The 100 met the same fate. I'll watch them both when they come to netflix. If they do. Otherwise I'll watch them when there's a CW app on ps4.

The 360 CW app doesn't list the order of the episodes, each screen has like a 30 second load time. You literally can't even tell what episode you're selecting to watch. It's insane.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rhyno posted:

The thing that hurt HIMYM the most was Ted Moseby.

Also whatever happened to Alyson Hannigan between like seasons 3 and 4 where her face just went all weird

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

which reminds me: how has this season of iZombie been? I stopped watching it because the CW app onthe 360 is basically unusable. The 100 met the same fate. I'll watch them both when they come to netflix. If they do. Otherwise I'll watch them when there's a CW app on ps4.

I think they're both on Netflix, actually. Netflix made a deal with CW; any season of a show on the network drops on Netflix six days after the finale airs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

I think they're both on Netflix, actually. Netflix made a deal with CW; any season of a show on the network drops on Netflix six days after the finale airs.

Oh, nice. Since I burned through all of Wynonna Earp already, I'll get back on those.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And certain shows are uploaded the day after, depending on which country you're in. All the non superhero ones (which I think air on Global, where CW shows used to live) are Netflix only in Canada.

Handy af.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm worried that they've ruined SYTYCD for yet another season. :(

They're only going with a top ten rather than a top twenty, which probably means the dancers will only dance with the All-Stars and not each other. So they're removing the most interesting part of the show completely and are going straight to the least interesting part. It's also looking like even the live shows will only be an hour long.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. Otherwise it might not even be worth watching. Again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Also whatever happened to Alyson Hannigan between like seasons 3 and 4 where her face just went all weird

Middle age and a refusal to get plastic surgery. Major respect to her for that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

1-season arcs are not the same thing as over-arching plots for an entire series. Of course lots and lots of shows have planned and executed season-arcs that make sense. Because show's can't always plan to be renewed, series arc are often much less certain.

I think that in general, multi season plots beyond a general end point like "the main character dies at the end" or something are just a bad idea. Otherwise, like you say, you end up with stuff like Fringe skipping like four planned seasons when they found out the fifth would be the last.

I just finished iZombie season 2, so I can't comment on anything past that. Speaking of which, isn't it really hosed up how many people Live, Major, and Clive killed in the finale? The rotted ones who can't be saved, fine, but a lot of the zombies they killed were just recently turned. Liv could've just chucked some brains at them and they would've been fine. None of the characters even commented on it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shooter is going to have some problems going forward with season 2 as Ryan Phillippe has somehow severely broken a leg in an accident unrelated to filming the show. They still have two episodes left to film which is going to be awkward to film around.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

How is Shooter? Shantel VanSanten has piqued my interest in the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, that's why I said it was the worst example. They should've scrapped the plan when they got to season 8 or whatever rather than the presumed season 3 or 4 they thought they'd get.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Shooter is going to have some problems going forward with season 2 as Ryan Phillippe has somehow severely broken a leg in an accident unrelated to filming the show. They still have two episodes left to film which is going to be awkward to film around.

He probably broke it when he jumped out a window after he realized he was Ryan Phillippe.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Shield is the only show I've ever watched that had an entire series arc that ended in a satisfying way and really really worked. You can plot that arc through every single season and while there were weird/low points it was always on track.

Goddamn that was such a gutwrench of a show. I Can't rewatch past a certain point, I know what's coming but I forget the exact details and it just gives me anxiety because I love the characters so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

The Shield is the only show I've ever watched that had an entire series arc that ended in a satisfying way and really really worked. You can plot that arc through every single season and while there were weird/low points it was always on track.

Goddamn that was such a gutwrench of a show. I Can't rewatch past a certain point, I know what's coming but I forget the exact details and it just gives me anxiety because I love the characters so much.

I'm still angry about Lem.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The Shield has bar none the best final five episode stretch I've seen in a tv show. Breaking Bad came close, but it had a far softer ending.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

...! posted:

I'm worried that they've ruined SYTYCD for yet another season. :(

They're only going with a top ten rather than a top twenty, which probably means the dancers will only dance with the All-Stars and not each other. So they're removing the most interesting part of the show completely and are going straight to the least interesting part. It's also looking like even the live shows will only be an hour long.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. Otherwise it might not even be worth watching. Again.

I heard it had trouble getting renewed, so it has had to be re-tooled for what I think is the past 2 seasons. It kinda sucks. I didn't even finish them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

I heard it had trouble getting renewed, so it has had to be re-tooled for what I think is the past 2 seasons. It kinda sucks. I didn't even finish them.

They've repeatedly retooled it over the past few years. Last year they used kids, which I absolutely was not interested in watching. So I was pretty excited that they returned to using adults this year which makes me all the more disappointed that they're doing it this way. The previous retoolings were bad but watchable (sans kids). But now they've essentially gutted the show, leaving just the shell. If this kind of thing is what they have to do to get the show renewed, they should just let it die. Put it out of its misery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPFortest posted:

The Shield has bar none the best final five episode stretch I've seen in a tv show. Breaking Bad came close, but it had a far softer ending.

Penultimate episodes interview is still the greatest thing ever. I was watching the show since it first aired, and watching years worth of plot out there on the table was amazing.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this! posted:

He's just going to be crouched down looking through a scope at all times

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bring back old gbs posted:

After the money train, it seemed like it went off the rails a bit. But I also watched it through the eyes of someone who watched 4 seasons of SOA before checking the Shield. Goddamn Sutter is such a hack.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Penultimate episodes interview is still the greatest thing ever. I was watching the show since it first aired, and watching years worth of plot out there on the table was amazing.

Is that Vic's interview for immunity? Leaving Lem out to dry like that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dark Archie is pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Boywhiz88 posted:

After the money train, it seemed like it went off the rails a bit. But I also watched it through the eyes of someone who watched 4 seasons of SOA before checking the Shield. Goddamn Sutter is such a hack.

Lem already has his sandwich at that point

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Boywhiz88 posted:

:eng101:Ronnie

Who also had an amazing arc - from guy randomly stood in the background in the first season to absolute clutch player by the end. I miss The Shield.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ronnie was a pos and it was one of the more satisfying scenes. Also I think Forrest Whittaker was incredible on the show.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just catching up on my Ed Sheeran news when I find he cameod on some tits n dragons show? game of something? never heard of it, is it any good?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The best thing about all that is that, due to not watching GoT, I haven't been off the internet since the premier and knew all about all the Ed Sheeran poo poo. So I laughed to myself when I heard my roommate exclaim from the other room "THAT'S ED SHEERAN!!!" While watching the episode.

Edit: Officially hooked on Dark Archie.

Edit2: wait, Betty's mom's name is Alice Cooper? lol.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 18, 2017

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

What was the reaction at the end of season 3 when the 4 were revealed? I don't know how I feel about it. Frankly, it just seems really out of nowhere and slapdash.
Best moment of the series, imo. Loved the way they used the music to communicate the "awakening" concept. Imagining the flood of thoughts Tigh felt in that moment is staggering and awesome. And then he just HANDLES it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I agree. It's an awesome scene and that Watchtower cover is KILLER

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's up there.

edit: update: Dark Archie is dark as gently caress. Also still good.

Also, I know that Archie and Archie comics are this huge varied old big thing, but is everyone's parents being such horrible people from the source material? Because holy poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 18, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's up there.

edit: update: Dark Archie is dark as gently caress. Also still good.

Also, I know that Archie and Archie comics are this huge varied old big thing, but is everyone's parents being such horrible people from the source material? Because holy poo poo.

It's a good show. Keep watching.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snak posted:

I mean from what I gathered reading Archie Digests in middle school not really, no; The parents were typically slightly less bumbling goofs than their kids. Maybe the one exception is Hiram Lodge, who absolutely despises Archie in the comics but in a broad "Oooo that darn boy" way. So it's going to be interesting when they cross paths in the show and their animosity is guaranteed to be ludicrously heightened.

Riverdale is so great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If you ever need to stop and take stock of what the gently caress just happened on any given episode, a former goon (General Ironicus, best known for his Let's Plays with Chip Cheezum) does a recap podcast with his wife called Sex Archie, and it's hilarious.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's OK. His wife's voice grates on me something fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GreenNight posted:

It's OK. His wife's voice grates on me something fierce.

Well, I happen to think his wife's adorable, sooooo

(I do not like how those words come together even in context.)

• Locked thread