Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't actually matter if the show is planned out in advance if the writers are competent enough to bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. Lost and BSG were shows that sold themselves on their plots and twists and mysteries. But they both completely fell apart when the twists didn't make sense and the mysteries were either forgotten about or had really stupid resolutions. Don't retcon history, when Lost and BSG started people didn't say "lol this is gonna be such a stupid trainwreck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

I guess if you've never watched a show before where the villain claimed to have a master plan that clearly made no sense and was made up on an episode by episode bases.

It's the same deal with LOST. If you thought it was ever gonna fit together and make sense, you were watching a different show than me.

Good for you on not being 99% of the people that watched the first few seasons of Lost and BSG.

I never watched Lost at all actually but come on. lovely writing practices are lovely writing practices. Breaking Bad wrote its plot from episode to episode too and it did so without being a steaming pile of garbage while baiting its audience that it was all leading somewhere but never delivering.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying that people said it was gonna be a stupid trainwreck. I'm saying if by halfway through each show, you believed that they were being architected to some master plan, you were fooled by marketing and not looking at the actual product objectively.

In almost every case, when something is claiming to have some big plan behind it, it's literally marketing. Because that idea is attractive to people.

Like when people would try to talk about how "George Lucas actually wrote out all 9 star wars stories originally".

"Ooh, I can't wait to learn more about the Cylon plan" is a reasonable response. "I bet the writers actually have a literal plan mapped out and everything is going to be consistent with that" is not. People who think that way are suckers.

I can't think of a single example of a series or franchise where a villain's overarching plan made a lick of sense when taken as a whole.

So yeah, if BSG was one of the first shows you ever watched, I could see how you might take its marketing at face value.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know, in theory, I agree with everything bad that can be said about the Lost and BSG endings.

Now if only you guys could express all that without sounding like the colicky love children of Jeff Albertson and Charlie Kelly.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The whole Baltar as Christ/messiah figure is such a pain to swallow because they never made him any kind of likable still.

I'm gonna finish it I guess cause I only have like 17 episodes left. But bleh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in a weird boat, because I agree that Lost's ending was bad, but I loved BSG's ending, warts and all.

Then again my favorite season of Lost was like, season 4, or whichever one the time travel season was, and that's like universally one of the least-liked ones.

Edit: ^ I think that works great, because it highlights the transactional nature of religious authority. Gaius is good at being a cult leader, not because he's good or likeable, but because he knows how to offer people what they want. His MO doesn't change for the whole series. He's a weasely survivor.

Just like real life cult leaders.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 17, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which is the season of Lost where Eko seems to be a big deal and there are important themes about church and building a church for Charlie and then none of it loving matters. That was the worst season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Second season, I think. It's also the one where Jack asks the policewoman whose name I forget to help him train an army so they can fight the Others and then she gets shot a couple of episodes later and dies and that's it for that plot avenue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't the plan for a long time to make the baker lady be the mother?
Also wasn't it a thing where the second or third episode revealed the mother's name and nobody ever realized it or the creators still tried acting coy about it

The baker was a backup in case they got cancelled before they got to what they wanted.

I've never heard the second thing.

Mu Zeta posted:

Which is the season of Lost where Eko seems to be a big deal and there are important themes about church and building a church for Charlie and then none of it loving matters. That was the worst season.

The actor asked to be written off the show.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

misguided rage posted:

The cylons didn't have a plan either though

I think that was what they were gonna go with if they didn't get a second season.

Yeah they did, their grand plan (and sure, I'll spoiler this) was to kill every single last human. But the rest of the cylons were very bad/not as fanatical about it, compared to Cavil. People just thought it be a more sophisticated, nuanced, complicated plan and that's really down to people's expectations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Come back, X-O! Come back!!!!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I'm not saying that people said it was gonna be a stupid trainwreck. I'm saying if by halfway through each show, you believed that they were being architected to some master plan, you were fooled by marketing and not looking at the actual product objectively.

Dude, I already said that the season finale of season 3 of BSG was the point where it became undeniable that the Cylons had no plan and the writers were just doing random poo poo. You aren't disagreeing with me.

Snak posted:

I can't think of a single example of a series or franchise where a villain's overarching plan made a lick of sense when taken as a whole.

Seriously? First season of Arrow, Merlyn wants to blow up the poor part of town to get revenge for his wife who was(in his mind) murdered by the very people she was trying to help. He takes logical, rational steps to achieve that goal. First season of iZombie, Blaine wants to turn a bunch of rich and important people in town into zombies so he can get rich selling them brains and be above the law. He takes logical steps to achieve that goal.

There's so many examples of TV show with villains who have a goal and proceed towards that goal in a logical manner

UnquietDream posted:

Yeah they did, their grand plan (and sure, I'll spoiler this) was to kill every single last human. But the rest of the cylons were very bad/not as fanatical about it, compared to Cavil. People just thought it be a more sophisticated, nuanced, complicated plan and that's really down to people's expectations.

Then what was the point of the Cylon/human hybrids? Why didn't they just activate Tigh and have him lead the fleet into a trap? Or activate any of the other unique Cylons in the Fleet and have them do something? Why did they occupy the human settlement instead of blowing it up?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BSG and Lost finale talk was banned for a reason.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Guy Goodbody posted:

Then what was the point of the Cylon/human hybrids? Why didn't they just activate Tigh and have him lead the fleet into a trap? Or activate any of the other unique Cylons in the Fleet and have them do something? Why did they occupy the human settlement instead of blowing it up?

It's been a while but from memory, the plot goes roughly like this Unhappy final five arrive just in time to stop first Cylon war and convince the Cylons to negotiate a peace in exchange for them granting Cylons the ability to make fleshy human models, presumably for religious reasons (Cylons are really into their one true God thing). Cavil is a little poo poo and gets real mad that his creators don't love him and made him weak and squishy as opposed to real cool machines. Cavil wipes all of final fives minds and places them in the colonies to teach them a lesson about humanity being crappy. Cavil also modified/wiped all other human cylon minds so they're basically children but for *reasons* he keeps Cylon society as a voting collective. Everything following that is all the other Cylons either expressing individuality or wanting to pull the breaks on the mass genocide scheme as they actually develop individuality and stop being children. So technically I suppose the intro should have read "One Cylon model has a plan, the rest are just kinda finding their way in the world following some real bad first decisions."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So was Janice really popular? Why'd they keep bringing her in long after the joke went stale

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

The actor asked to be written off the show.

I thought the guy who played Eko got booted because of a DUI.
Maybe also the same with Michelle Rodriguez? I just remember that anything that came out in the news about Lost castmembers at the time involved a DUI.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was Michelle Rodriguez and the girl who died in the same ep who had DUIs I think? Eko just didn't like Hawaii.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

I thought the guy who played Eko got booted because of a DUI.
Maybe also the same with Michelle Rodriguez? I just remember that anything that came out in the news about Lost castmembers at the time involved a DUI.

Eko's actor requested to leave the show because he wanted to return to England. Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros got popped for DUIs within a week of one another, then both of their characters were written off the show shortly thereafter - which they and the producers claim was mere coincidence, but it seemed too convenient. I remember when Daniel Dae Kim got booked a few years later that fans immediately assumed it meant Jin was not long for this world.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Avatar The Last Airbender do you think the Fire Nation had to pay restitution and that the generals were prosecuted for war crimes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shageletic posted:

BSG and Lost finale talk was banned for a reason.

Those who forget history are forced to repeat it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JethroMcB posted:

Eko's actor requested to leave the show because he wanted to return to England. Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros got popped for DUIs within a week of one another, then both of their characters were written off the show shortly thereafter - which they and the producers claim was mere coincidence, but it seemed too convenient. I remember when Daniel Dae Kim got booked a few years later that fans immediately assumed it meant Jin was not long for this world.

Didn't Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Eko) get into a physical fight with Matthew Fox at one point?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Eko) get into a physical fight with Matthew Fox at one point?

They should have just replaced Adewale with Kevin Hart and not mentioned it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe it's because I watched them after they ended, and didn't suffer through years of theorising about the shows with other people, but I really liked the endings to LOST and BSG.

The final season of LOST was a hot mess, but the finale I dug. The biggest issue with that show is it's too long.

BSG had some issues in the last couple seasons, and some hokey scenes in the finale, but God and religion were a huge part of the show from loving day one w/r/t the cylons, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed with where the ending went.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

In Avatar The Last Airbender do you think the Fire Nation had to pay restitution and that the generals were prosecuted for war crimes

Like, I know you're joking, but they're actually exploring this a bit in the sequel graphic novels Dark Horse publishes (when they're not busy doing stuff like retconning Zuko and Azula's mom as an amnesiac who's been alive this whole time).

Basically the Fire Nation is also completely hosed following the war and can't really do anything to fix things but they try anyway, and also the other nations aren't very receptive to the Fire Nation/Zuko trying to help.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

BSG really sucks in retrospect. It will only be notable in the future for kicking off the writers' strike with the webisode controversy.

Nah it's still good, and has one of the best pilots that has ever been produced.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'll bet the people in the BSG thread would really love all this BSG talk!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Like, I know you're joking, but they're actually exploring this a bit in the sequel graphic novels Dark Horse publishes (when they're not busy doing stuff like retconning Zuko and Azula's mom as an amnesiac who's been alive this whole time).

The show did that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

esperterra posted:

Maybe it's because I watched them after they ended, and didn't suffer through years of theorising about the shows with other people, but I really liked the endings to LOST and BSG.

The final season of LOST was a hot mess, but the finale I dug. The biggest issue with that show is it's too long.

BSG had some issues in the last couple seasons, and some hokey scenes in the finale, but God and religion were a huge part of the show from loving day one w/r/t the cylons, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed with where the ending went.

I never gave a poo poo about Lost and can't speak to that but :agreed: about BSG. It's also a show that holds up much better on chunky rewatches than being doled out piecemeal and having every little thing torn to shreds by internet microanalysis week-to-week.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

lelandjs posted:

Also has there been any example ever of a role being race/genderswapped and was actually worse because of it?

(The Last Airbender doesn't count)

Emma Stone in Aloha?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Emma Stone in Aloha?

I think they mean in an adaptation. Aloha was just weird/bad casting.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

The show did that.

The show left her fate ambiguous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lelandjs posted:

Also has there been any example ever of a role being race/genderswapped and was actually worse because of it?

(The Last Airbender doesn't count)

Doctor Who is unique, no other show recasts the lead in such a way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Doctor Who is unique that it sucks and has been on TV longer than TV itself

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Come back, X-O! Come back!!!!!

You're on your own now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

X-O posted:

You're on your own now.

Forgive us, we did not know what we would wrought :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

The show left her fate ambiguous.

Ambiguous means alive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I should make a new Korra thread

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I wonder if they've ever revealed what the original plan for Eko was. The most they've revealed is that he was supposed to be integral to the island (I would wager it forces things to be split three ways between him, Locke and Jack) and whatever they had planned, and had set up, ended when he decided he didn't like Hawaii anymore and wanted to go home instead.

Hell, watching it again, that LOST pilot is so good at drawing you in even when you know where it's all going.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I remember about Lost was one character in the last season whose actor insisted she was "on every page" of the finale then got unceremoniously dropped (apparently because she was difficult to work with but who knows why it happened).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was Jennifer Aniston pregnant irl at the same time as Rachel was? Because dang that lady kept it tight immediately after

• Locked thread