Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pick posted:

There are a fair number of homogenous goods where AliExpress won't help you because the price in your home country is already very competitive or a loss leader.

No, it's not just that they're the same price, there's not a lot on offer in the first place. I'd expected at least one seller to have inks at varying sizes, but it's usually just a small bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

McSpergin posted:

I just ordered the following:

Solar rechargeable camping LED lantern and torch
This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwqFkelUs_g

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

mike12345 posted:

No, it's not just that they're the same price, there's not a lot on offer in the first place. I'd expected at least one seller to have inks at varying sizes, but it's usually just a small bottle.

Did you try alibaba? Maybe it's one of those products that it's just not worth it to sell by the piece.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

gmq posted:

Did you try alibaba? Maybe it's one of those products that it's just not worth it to sell by the piece.

Yep, that's where they are. Good call.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Synthbuttrange posted:

All my other parcels arrived two weeks after I get a notification. This one I'm in week 9. :v:

Last week I got something I ordered during the anniversary sale 15 weeks earlier. Of course I live in Canada, the land of gently caress your parcel.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

oh God

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't buy anything that you plug in, eat, or otherwise trust with your safety

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

For fun and excitement, you can buy radioactive materials:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...0304.4.2.TrCtdN

Granted, it's just little rods of tritium. But, if you get enough you could make a beta-voltaic battery or a breeder reactor :stonklol:

Those are tritrium gas lights, not actual rods of tritium. They're pretty common in all sorts of things, mostly outdoor gear and watchfaces.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I bought a ton of board stickers for a project. I can't use all of them. Anyone want a random envelope of a dozen stickers? Send me a PM. And let me know if you're okay with NSFW stickers, as those are the ones I can't use. :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Those are tritrium gas lights, not actual rods of tritium. They're pretty common in all sorts of things, mostly outdoor gear and watchfaces.

If it turns out to be tritium rods, would this be the first instance of gaslighting about gas lights?

Unrelated: I am becoming increasingly peeved at how many times the suggested other items after completing a purchase, turns out to be a cheaper version of what you just bought. And by how many times I mean every single time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

flashy_mcflash posted:

If it turns out to be tritium rods, would this be the first instance of gaslighting about gas lights?

Unrelated: I am becoming increasingly peeved at how many times the suggested other items after completing a purchase, turns out to be a cheaper version of what you just bought. And by how many times I mean every single time.

Try adding the item to your wishlist first. You still get the pop up about similar products. Also if you hover over the picture of the item in your wishlist a "find similar products" option appears.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bummer. I was hoping for the stuff that the Radio Active Boy Scout used.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen. You can't get a "rod of tritium" unless you've got some way of storing things at less than 14 kelvin.

The radioactive boy scout made his reactor with thoriated lantern mantles and the americium from smoke detectors, iirc, both of which you can still buy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

wtf is a "tritium rod" why are goons who don't know what isotopes are pretending to be some kind of anarchist's cookbook nuclear physicist

I've literally bought those things and accidentally cracked a couple in my basement. I got out of the room for a bit to be on the safe side but my house is not now permeated with ATOMZ

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

I gave up on watching the video half way through, but it basically looks like you could stick some glue in the usb port to disable it, hence preventing any usb short accidents, and you should be fine, right? Or does he discover another danger somewhere else?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

ZombieJesus posted:

I gave up on watching the video half way through, but it basically looks like you could stick some glue in the usb port to disable it, hence preventing any usb short accidents, and you should be fine, right? Or does he discover another danger somewhere else?

Yes the chromed switch surround was also live under mains power, basically just don't plug it in to mains unless absolutely necessary. I plan on taking it camping so it will likely be staying solar charged anyway

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen. You can't get a "rod of tritium" unless you've got some way of storing things at less than 14 kelvin.

The radioactive boy scout made his reactor with thoriated lantern mantles and the americium from smoke detectors, iirc, both of which you can still buy

I see. I was referring to an article about him. In it, the reporter tells of him buying tritium-illuminated gun sights and, "digging out the waxy material for his reactor." He would then send the sights back to the manufacturer to be repaired, where he would then do the same thing again.

"Once again, "Professor Hahn" sprang into action, writing his old friend Erb at the NRC to discuss the problem. The NRC had the answer. David's neutrons were too "fast" for the uranium).(3) He would have to slow them down using a filter of water, deuterium, or tritium. Water would have sufficed, but David likes a challenge. Consulting his list of commercially available radioactive sources, he discovered that tritium, a radioactive material used to boost the power of nuclear weapons, is found in glow-in-the-dark gun and bow sights, which David promptly bought from sporting-goods stores and mail-order catalogues. He removed the tritium contained in a waxy substance inside the sights, and then, using a variety of pseudonyms, returned the sights to the store or manufacturer for repair--each time collecting another tiny quantity of tritium. When he had enough, David smeared the waxy substance over the beryllium strip and targeted the gun at uranium powder. He carefully monitored the results with his Geiger counter over several weeks, and it appeared that the powder was growing more radioactive by the day."

By the sounds of it, the material has never really been workable in the way it's described in the story.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

McSpergin posted:

Yes the chromed switch surround was also live under mains power, basically just don't plug it in to mains unless absolutely necessary. I plan on taking it camping so it will likely be staying solar charged anyway

Clive said in the video that the solar panel won't really work that well. There are too many components draining current from it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

Consulting his list of commercially available radioactive sources, he discovered that tritium, a radioactive material used to boost the power of nuclear weapons, is found in glow-in-the-dark gun and bow sights, which David promptly bought from sporting-goods stores and mail-order catalogues. He removed the tritium contained in a waxy substance inside the sights, and then, using a variety of pseudonyms, returned the sights to the store or manufacturer for repair--each time collecting another tiny quantity of tritium. When he had enough, David smeared the waxy substance over the beryllium strip and targeted the gun at uranium powder.

Ah, well, that's a little different. Tritium gun sights are little glass vials filled with a phosphorescent liquid. A miniscule amount of tritium gas is dissolved into the liquid, and its beta decay keeps the phosphors constantly glowing. I suppose the vial contents could be the "waxy substance" they're talking about. Personally I doubt that the tritium would stick around very long once you'd broken the vial (how long does it take for soda to go flat once opened, for instance?), but I don't know the exact chemistry of the stuff so maybe it could work.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

I see. I was referring to an article about him. In it, the reporter tells of him buying tritium-illuminated gun sights and, "digging out the waxy material for his reactor." He would then send the sights back to the manufacturer to be repaired, where he would then do the same thing again.

"Once again, "Professor Hahn" sprang into action, writing his old friend Erb at the NRC to discuss the problem. The NRC had the answer. David's neutrons were too "fast" for the uranium).(3) He would have to slow them down using a filter of water, deuterium, or tritium. Water would have sufficed, but David likes a challenge. Consulting his list of commercially available radioactive sources, he discovered that tritium, a radioactive material used to boost the power of nuclear weapons, is found in glow-in-the-dark gun and bow sights, which David promptly bought from sporting-goods stores and mail-order catalogues. He removed the tritium contained in a waxy substance inside the sights, and then, using a variety of pseudonyms, returned the sights to the store or manufacturer for repair--each time collecting another tiny quantity of tritium. When he had enough, David smeared the waxy substance over the beryllium strip and targeted the gun at uranium powder. He carefully monitored the results with his Geiger counter over several weeks, and it appeared that the powder was growing more radioactive by the day."

By the sounds of it, the material has never really been workable in the way it's described in the story.

Hahn was an idiot and very little of the stuff he did was workable aside from putting himself and possibly other people in danger. I would be surprised if he didn't just lose all the tritium as soon as he cracked the sight open. Hydrogen is a gas, not a "waxy substance".

No one who actually knew anything about the subject would even entertain the idea of collecting tritium for use as a moderator either. Maybe someone who built a fusor and wanted to be more hardcore by using a D-T mix, maybe, but there isn't much you can do with it for the dumbass poo poo he was trying to do.

edit: if there really was some kind of wax inside the sights then it would act as a moderator all by itself because wax is a hydrogenous material but I'm skeptical that a thin smearing of the stuff would moderate the neutrons sufficiently anyway

edit 2: if the guy really did come up with such a convoluted scheme just to get a thin layer of wax then loving lol when he could have just bought candles or something

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, well, that's a little different. Tritium gun sights are little glass vials filled with a phosphorescent liquid. A miniscule amount of tritium gas is dissolved into the liquid, and its beta decay keeps the phosphors constantly glowing. I suppose the vial contents could be the "waxy substance" they're talking about. Personally I doubt that the tritium would stick around very long once you'd broken the vial (how long does it take for soda to go flat once opened, for instance?), but I don't know the exact chemistry of the stuff so maybe it could work.

I've never seen one that's liquid-filled and can't find references to any; tritium's such a weak emitter it couldn't penetrate liquid, or wax, or anything. All the ones I've handled are just a little vial of gas lined with radiofluourescent powder, probably zinc sulfide idk. Maybe he scraped that poo poo off the sides thinking it was the tritium, which wouldn't surprise me since the 'backyard nuclear reactor' was never more than a pile of salvaged radioactive crap, equally likely the reporter's a moron.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 18, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I assume that information about Hahn's "experiments" is distorted by writers who don't know anything about the subject, but also that he was an idiot and didn't know what he was doing in the first place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've never seen one that's liquid-filled and can't find references to any; tritium's such a weak emitter it couldn't penetrate liquid, or wax, or anything. All the ones I've handled are just a little vial of gas lined with radiofluourescent powder, probably zinc sulfide idk. Maybe he scraped that poo poo off the sides thinking it was the tritium, which wouldn't surprise me since the 'backyard nuclear reactor' was never more than a pile of salvaged radioactive crap, equally likely the reporter's a moron.

I can't remember where I heard that about sights using a phosphorescent liquid, but here's a page from Idaho State University referring to liquid-filled gun sights. It looks pretty old so maybe it was an older technology:

quote:

Gun Sights

Some rifles use tritium for in their front sight. They will use about 12 mCi of tritium dissolved in a phosphor liquid contained in a small glass vial. Occasionally, a sight may develop a small leak or be completely broken and pose at least a potential for internal exposure. A small amount of the total activity could be transferred to the hands of the security personnel or armorer, then ingested orally or absorbed through the skin. The use of gloves can reduce the risk of exposure. The amount absorbed through the skin would probably be small compared to the amount ingested. Other likely pathways might be a localized cloud of HTO vapor if the sight were damaged and stowed in an air tight locker. The air space of the locker could reach equilibrium conditions with the tritium. If the locker where the rifles are stored has some ventilation, then that would be enough to dissipate the tritium.

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/tritium.htm

Either way, if the guy was interacting with a waxy substance it was undoubtedly mostly wax, not tritium.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I have not seen these on aliexpres, but I have on china global mall.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/18/anti-pervert-flame-throwers-sale-china/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

antisodachrist posted:

I have not seen these on aliexpres, but I have on china global mall.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/18/anti-pervert-flame-throwers-sale-china/

That seems like a great way to hurt yourself and a bunch of bystanders and cause a ton of collateral damage on top of the usual EDC idiocy of making it harder to argue self-defense.

And that's assuming that the thing actually works perfectly instead of just leaking and exploding or failing to actually light when you whip it out.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
How long til someone dies sticking one up their butt

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

looks like it's literally just a butane torch and a slow news day so negative like ten years probably

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I wonder if even the idea of women carrying around high powered pocket flamethrowers would have any significant deterrent effect on sexual assault.

Now I'm looking up dentatas on AX please send help

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So can I order those tritium key rings from aliexpress, or will that land me in federal prison? (In the USA)

http://s.aliexpress.com/uUZ3ua6J

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"self-defense flamethrowers" sounds like something from a rejected episode of Always Sunny.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I bought one of those over 10 years ago in the usa and it's still glowing. Pretty good imo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

blugu64 posted:

So can I order those tritium key rings from aliexpress, or will that land me in federal prison? (In the USA)

They're fine. The amount of radioactive material inside them is negligible.

They're also not as bright as the pictures would have you believe.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I just don't want to go to prison :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blugu64 posted:

I just don't want to go to prison :(

Well then I hope you haven't gotten any commercial goods marked "gift"...

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Synthbuttrange posted:

They're fine. The amount of radioactive material inside them is negligible.

They're also not as bright as the pictures would have you believe.

This was the exact post I was about to write. good job

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pick posted:

Well then I hope you haven't gotten any commercial goods marked "gift"...

Nonsense, everything I receive from AliExpress is like a gift to myself. It's like Christmas all year 'round!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All this talk about tritium got me thinking about making a poly carbonate ring with a bunch of those little(1.5mm x 6mm) tritium vials embedded in it. When it's finished, the little glowing tubes will be fully encapsulated inside the clear ring, thus giving me a sort of ever present light source that is powered by scary radioactivity. I'll let you all know if my hand grows a second, smaller and bloodthirsty mutant hand.

I bought 8 of these little fuckers...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EDC...89-4c8a3f7058fa

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rad-daddio posted:

All this talk about tritium got me thinking about making a poly carbonate ring with a bunch of those little(1.5mm x 6mm) tritium vials embedded in it. When it's finished, the little glowing tubes will be fully encapsulated inside the clear ring, thus giving me a sort of ever present light source that is powered by scary radioactivity. I'll let you all know if my hand grows a second, smaller and bloodthirsty mutant hand.

I bought 8 of these little fuckers...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EDC...89-4c8a3f7058fa
jewelry is one of the only things you can't stick tritium in, although I'm pretty sure there's exactly zero people in federal pen for making a tritium-ring regardless

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

jewelry is one of the only things you can't stick tritium in, although I'm pretty sure there's exactly zero people in federal pen for making a tritium-ring regardless

That's weird. There are a few different rings on Ali with tritium tubes in them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PSK...2b-ee2633dd419c

Also, seeing that I might be breaking a law set forth by the NRC just makes this project so much cooler and stupid : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blugu64 posted:

I had a blue one of those a while ago and although it always glowed, it is much dimmer than you might expect: i.e. in a totally dark room you can read a single line to text from a book about the same length as the keyring.

If you dropped it on the floor, you could probably only see it if it were a pitch-black night, not at dusk.

OTOH:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Nitestik-Glowing-Key-Ring-x/dp/B005W0NAZA/ref=pd_sim_201_2

these ones need to be charged by a bright light, but do last a few hours and are much brighter.