Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The three rings of power are obviously magical "technology" and still present at the time of the book. The effects and powers of Galadriels ring in particular are described in great detail .

They were made by Celebrimbor who was the grandson of feanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also the dwarfs have all sorts of technology and industry and are neither absolutely evil or good.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sunday at work posted:

Sure it's technobable but so is magic bread.

No that's magic.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The difference between elven high tech and orcish high tech is that elves get their technological roots from angels who made the world and understand all the ways in which it works, allowing the elves to skip all that tiresome poo poo like pollution, the discovery of sustainability, the early stages of experimentation and iffy ethics, and the problem of early-automation industry with its attending exploitation and high death toll.

Orcs, on the other hand, have their divine technological inspiration from a dude whose boss wanted the floor to be lava and doesn't like all these gross organics loving the place up. Their DNA has been altered to tolerate deep places with toxic gases and monocultured food sources and foul surroundings-- they were literally made for a society that was expected to dead-end at carbon-steel metallurgy and strip mining. They were built to create a world so stripped-down that even they can't survive.

Thus the future of Men in Arda: no divine jump-start for their tech, but no built-in drive to self-destruction by industry, either. Destructive, unsustainable tech is orcish; enlightened, unobtainable tech is elvish; and I guess humans get to muddle through with horses and swords or whatever.

I actually kinda hate that it's just gears and levers vs hymns and herbs. Elves and their tech are leaving, right? So like... what are humans supposed to do if they want to move forward, as their species is supposedly destined to do? Are we, thematically, just gonna be forced to adopt orcish ways and hope we grow through them? Are we supposed to, metaphorically speaking, built boats and sail to Valinor for answers? Like, what was Tolkien's endgame for humanity?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Becomes hobbits.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I'm down for this.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Aren't hobbits also oddly technologically advanced for a race that claims not to like technology that much, at least in comparison to humans? That's the impression I got, maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Also the dwarfs have all sorts of technology and industry and are neither absolutely evil or good.

Dwarves, please. Or Dwarrows I believe Tolkien says is the more proper term.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Steamhead Duardin.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Aren't hobbits also oddly technologically advanced for a race that claims not to like technology that much, at least in comparison to humans? That's the impression I got, maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

Not especially, they like most western men don't have anything beyond wind and water power and completely lack organized industry or finance (though they do have coinage) or even an effectual governmental authority. Like most Men, they possessed things that we would consider forms of technology but were not a technological society.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also the hobbits did at one time have more advanced technology but had gone backwards and viewed most machines as useless mathoms to be stuck in a museum.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The hobbitses had what I guess you could call an idealized rural 18th-century Englishman's set of cottage industries and so on. There probably wasn't a major difference between a blacksmith shop in the Shire and one in Gondor beyond the former being smaller and probably purely agricultural.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

elise the great posted:

Like, what was Tolkien's endgame for humanity?

For us to die, since Humans and Hobbits are the only race to experience True Death

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

elise the great posted:

The difference between elven high tech and orcish high tech is that elves get their technological roots from angels who made the world and understand all the ways in which it works, allowing the elves to skip all that tiresome poo poo like pollution, the discovery of sustainability, the early stages of experimentation and iffy ethics, and the problem of early-automation industry with its attending exploitation and high death toll.

Orcs, on the other hand, have their divine technological inspiration from a dude whose boss wanted the floor to be lava and doesn't like all these gross organics loving the place up. Their DNA has been altered to tolerate deep places with toxic gases and monocultured food sources and foul surroundings-- they were literally made for a society that was expected to dead-end at carbon-steel metallurgy and strip mining. They were built to create a world so stripped-down that even they can't survive.

Thus the future of Men in Arda: no divine jump-start for their tech, but no built-in drive to self-destruction by industry, either. Destructive, unsustainable tech is orcish; enlightened, unobtainable tech is elvish; and I guess humans get to muddle through with horses and swords or whatever.

I actually kinda hate that it's just gears and levers vs hymns and herbs. Elves and their tech are leaving, right? So like... what are humans supposed to do if they want to move forward, as their species is supposedly destined to do? Are we, thematically, just gonna be forced to adopt orcish ways and hope we grow through them? Are we supposed to, metaphorically speaking, built boats and sail to Valinor for answers? Like, what was Tolkien's endgame for humanity?

What's more important to tolkien was using power to force people to do poo poo, to force your will onto them. He used the industry of war and rapid growth as visual metaphors for this in LotR, given his experiences in life.

Men, or the numenoreans more specifically, did plenty of big-time works, such as Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil, Orthanc, etc. At the time of LotR the kingdoms of men are in decline, and can't make things like that anymore. Also they made lots of boats and sailed the seven seas and were great at it, which would have taken a huge maritime industry.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bilbo totally didn't beat the Old Took's age record, he cheated by using a magical ring. I demand at least an asterisk.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Okay so this is only semi-related to the current conversation, but I was at an event hosted by Peter Jackson last night and my god the man looks more and more like a Hobbit with every passing year.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sort of... stretched, like too much butter on bread

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Sort of... stretched, like too much butter on bread
Wait, scratch that, reverse it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe he's stretching the bread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

butter isn't stretchy idiot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's not?

...I should probably go see a doctor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tolkien-professor/id320513707?mt=2

Tolkien prof doing a close read of the lord of the rings . Close as in close . It may take years . It's pretty amazing so far, I'm 17 episodes in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat those are some long rear end episodes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah

I'm on episode 17 we just left Farmer Maggot

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc two entire episodes were just on the meeting with Gildor et al

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
loving iTunes. Is there any way to get that to work in Android?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man this guy is just unbearable to listen to

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kilson posted:

loving iTunes. Is there any way to get that to work in Android?

I use PlayerFM and found "Tolkien Professor" using the search function in that app, but I haven't tried to actually play any of them yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tolkien-professor/id320513707?mt=2

Tolkien prof doing a close read of the lord of the rings . Close as in close . It may take years . It's pretty amazing so far, I'm 17 episodes in.
Turns out the only thing longer than an audiobook of the Silmarillion is an audio book about the Silmarillion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Man this guy is just unbearable to listen to

Really? haha. I've probably listened to 200+ hours with no problem. He used to put his students on the mic which was unbearable. That was years ago tho.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I'm probably oversensitive to certain things (lord knows there are vocal tics that have grated on me for decades) but the constant TSK sound he makes, good lord. And UHH UHH UHH UHH UHH

At least he has a good vocabulary and he's not afraid to use it. Come to think of it he's head and shoulders above most of the actual professors I had. We all should be so lucky.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
While we're being critical, he reminds me of that character from Goodfellas who says everything twice, says it twice, y'know

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

webmeister posted:

While we're being critical, he reminds me of that character from Goodfellas who says everything twice, says it twice, y'know

Well he's no wizard, to be sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You guys listen to a lot of edited pods lol.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Iirc two entire episodes were just on the meeting with Gildor et al

It's a very interesting part and way more important than side-story filler like Moria and Helm's Deep.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

It's a very interesting part and way more important than side-story filler like Moria and Helm's Deep.

ok, why?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna guess (from 5 episodes so far) that it's because the Gildor scene has a ton of interesting little dialogue intricacies that the podcast takes its time ferreting out, whereas Moria is just an action scene without much to analyze for meaning the way this guy likes to do.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Moria sequence contains some of Tolkien's most effective action writing and sustained tension so I'd be surprised if podman can't make at least half a dozen episodes out of it. When he gets to it in mid-2019, I mean. But it's still good that he really picked over the Gildor scene because it's extremely important to understanding 1) Frodo as a character 2) the Noldor as a people and 3) the Quest as a quest, and also because the adaptations have systematically ignored it because nobody kills any orcs in it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That guy is gonna die of old age before he gets to the balrog but yeah I want to hear his opinion on balrog wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That guy is gonna die of old age before he gets to the balrog but yeah I want to hear his opinion on balrog wings

I've gone back to the beginning of the whole podcast - 7 years or so ago - and he dedicated a whole episode to this question and "What is Tom Bombadil".

His opinion:

Balrog wings: No......

What's Tom: Ainur....

As an aside he started out super-analyzing The Hobbit and he mentions that Peter Jackson's upcoming movie (singular, hah) would probably fail for pretty much the exact reason it did - rock and a hard place trying to make it epic like LotR or being true to the light-hearted tone of the book.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 22, 2017