Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Your posts seem a good candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CountFosco posted:

Being apathetic about our cultural symbols is not going to serve us well in the long term, whether it's something nerdy or mainstream.

Please tell us more about what we shouldn't care about.

Star Wars Presents: Han Solo: The Movie.

But also, your posts.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Han Solo movie is supposed to have Omar from the Wire and Maeve from Westworld so it might be better than this argument

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

StashAugustine posted:

The Han Solo movie is supposed to have Omar from the Wire and Maeve from Westworld so it might be better than this argument

It hardly matters who is going to be in it. We're just at the point, as a society, where we ought to stop collectively care about anything related to Star Wars.

This is my extremely hot take.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Dr Who is a bad programme for idiots.

System Metternich posted:

Nowadays even bakeries have to decide between high and low church, smh

Ha!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
rogue one was good tho, it successfully predicted what a combination of my two fantasy flight games characters would be and made it canon

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I can't wait for Disney to buy the Westworld franchise, proving again that Satan is the master of this world until Yeshua returns in glory.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Star Wars is good. Dr. Who is good. Disney is good. Count's take on gender dysphoria in Dr. Who is bad and wrong. Count's point about cultural symbols is right and good. Liking and Consuming is not the same as Taking Note Of. Get over yourselves. None of your have hot takes because your takes are stale. Stop confusing aesthetic and moral claims.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like Star Bores.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

WerrWaaa posted:

Stop confusing aesthetic and moral claims.

I agree, but I come to this point kicking and screaming because the alternative is just so much fun.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WerrWaaa posted:

Star Wars is good. Dr. Who is good. Disney is good. Count's take on gender dysphoria in Dr. Who is bad and wrong. Count's point about cultural symbols is right and good. Liking and Consuming is not the same as Taking Note Of. Get over yourselves. None of your have hot takes because your takes are stale. Stop confusing aesthetic and moral claims.

next you'll tell me anime ISN'T bad :rolleyes:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

WerrWaaa posted:

Remember children, it is your obligation to shell out cash to see the next Star Wars film, and all the films after that. If we don't, the movie studio will take a financial loss, and might be forced to stop cranking them out. If that ever happens, our culture will be the poorer for it.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

next you'll tell me anime ISN'T bad :rolleyes:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
CountFosco, there are several people in this thread who've read enough gender theory and gender theology to fill a small library. This is not an argument you want to have.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Looking forward to the Pope Francis final series.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Caufman posted:

I can't wait for Disney to buy the Westworld franchise, proving again that Satan is the master of this world until Yeshua returns in glory.
One of my fears is that someday Disney will buy Nintendo. At that point, they'll basically own my childhood.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

One of my fears is that someday Disney will buy Nintendo. At that point, they'll basically own my childhood.

It's okay, brother. They can't take the Holy Spirit from you, and that's been with you since birth.

Woops, no, nevermind. Looks like Disney bought the rites to Holy Spirit™, those speedy devils!

edit: Holy Ghost is in public domain, but I don't think anyone supports that anymore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keromaru5 posted:

As long as they don't buy Star Trek, mine will be safe at least.

It's always been a funny story to tell in Bible study, that on the list of people in my childhood who taught me right from wrong, Captain Jean-Luc Picard is pretty high on the list.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Cythereal posted:

As long as they don't buy Star Trek, mine will be safe at least.

It's always been a funny story to tell in Bible study, that on the list of people in my childhood who taught me right from wrong, Captain Jean-Luc Picard is pretty high on the list.

Hey, there is no shame in admitting that Patrick Stewart is an excellent teacher.

Also, as someone who struggles with Faith and it's meaning and how it is given and all that one of the things I have a real dislike of are Evangelical Disney fans. Not members of the Evangelical Church who are fans of Disney mark you, no, I mean the sort of person who goes to Disneyland as if they are a 13th Century pilgrim going to Rome and you have to hear about it. Worshipping at the altar of a consumerist mega-corp because it has a smiley face on the front of it is, to me at least, loving horrifying in ways I can't adequately articulate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Josef bugman posted:

Hey, there is no shame in admitting that Patrick Stewart is an excellent teacher.

Also, as someone who struggles with Faith and it's meaning and how it is given and all that one of the things I have a real dislike of are Evangelical Disney fans. Not members of the Evangelical Church who are fans of Disney mark you, no, I mean the sort of person who goes to Disneyland as if they are a 13th Century pilgrim going to Rome and you have to hear about it. Worshipping at the altar of a consumerist mega-corp because it has a smiley face on the front of it is, to me at least, loving horrifying in ways I can't adequately articulate.

Never watch Green Room

And yeah nothing makes me hate nerd culture more than people who treat corporate brands like it's a religion

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

CountFosco, there are several people in this thread who've read enough gender theory and gender theology to fill a small library. This is not an argument you want to have.

I know more about this than you, therefore don't ask or tell me anything about it
- Ask & Tell

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pidan posted:

I know more about this than you, therefore don't ask or tell me anything about it
- Ask & Tell

actually, yes

we have several regular posters who have done advanced academic studies in gender theology, philosophy, and related stuffs

it's fine to have a discussion but respect the fact that there are almost certainly a couple posters in this thread who are better educated and well-read than you on any given subject

(I'm happy to admit that's me too, I'm pretty poorly read in philosophy but if you start talking science, oh boy)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 18, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

actually, yes

we have several regular posters who have done advanced academic studies in gender theology, philosophy, and related stuffs

it's fine to have a discussion but respect the fact that there are almost certainly a couple posters in this thread who are better educated and well-read than you on any given subject

(I'm happy to admit that's me too, I'm pretty poorly read in philosophy but if you start talking science, oh boy)

I'm not denying that at all, it's just kind of a dick move to use your knowledge as an argument for not having a discussion at all. If you don't want to spend time educating people on the internet, fine, but there's no benefit to going "shut up, I'm smart".

situation: people on the internet are posting about your field of expertise, and you think the things they post are ignorant and wrong.

good response: demonstrate why they're wrong, thus winning more people to your expert pov.

ok response: don't feel like discussing this, don't engage. That's why I don't read the China thread.

bad but strangely popular response: posting "shut up noobz"

E: for all her faults Senju Kannon is pretty good at this, she'll post things like "read the works of xyz b4 yr next post", a winsome combo of all three approaches

pidan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 18, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think there's a difference between engaging with someone who's ignorant but willing to listen and engaging with someone who uses the word "transgenderism" unironically

the former can be a productive argument, while the latter is a quagmire unlikely to produce even a good debate. i find arguing with someone without good faith rarely produces a conversation worth showing to outside sources.

also i have no faults that's why i never get rejected by guys or jobs

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

StashAugustine posted:

Never watch Green Room

What an odd opinion.

Edit: Oh, I get it now. You were referring to the first sentence rather than the Disney comment.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Senju Kannon posted:

i think there's a difference between engaging with someone who's ignorant but willing to listen and engaging with someone who uses the word "transgenderism" unironically

the former can be a productive argument, while the latter is a quagmire unlikely to produce even a good debate. i find arguing with someone without good faith rarely produces a conversation worth showing to outside sources.

also i have no faults that's why i never get rejected by guys or jobs

Erm, what?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

my post seems pretty straightforward so idk what your problem is

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Samuel Clemens posted:

What an odd opinion.

Edit: Oh, I get it now. You were referring to the first sentence rather than the Disney comment.

Yeah I got a bit confused too. Thinking about it, has there ever been a really deep look into the whole cult of Disney? Something along the lines of Jesus Camp? Because I would love to watch that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

The First Duty did more to teach me that lying was wrong than any Sunday school lesson or The Boy Who Cried Wolf. And I was in middle school when 9/11 happened. That night, after dinner, my mom made me sit down and watch The Drumhead with her and she made sure I understood Stewart's speech at the end because she knew there would be calls of prejudice against Muslims and Middle Eastern people in general. :v:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah I got a bit confused too. Thinking about it, has there ever been a really deep look into the whole cult of Disney? Something along the lines of Jesus Camp? Because I would love to watch that.
People have been critiquing and commenting on Disney's power and influence in American culture as a corporate behemoth for decades, though I don't know of any book or documentary that brings it all together.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
hey all, looks like rod dreher's on so many levels of orthodoxy that he went around the other side and came out right-wing evangelical:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Bel_Canto posted:

Appeal to authority fallacy? I've read my fair share of writings on gender (not gender theology). Not a small library, perhaps, but I'm not unschooled. Frankly, I don't really even see much of an argument.

The Doctor becoming a woman and it being no big deal seems to run contrary to the claims of trans men and women. For them, gender reassignment is a big deal, in that it is something they generally value, something that is generally seen as vital. The writers/producers probably want to fight transphobia by saying that going from M to F is shrug worthy from the perspective of people who aren't the person making the transition, but such a change seems not shrug worthy from the perspective of the person in question. If I were transformed into a woman tomorrow, I don't think I'd be particularly comfortable, and that discomfort would seem to confirm the discomfort trans people feel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CountFosco posted:

Appeal to authority fallacy? I've read my fair share of writings on gender (not gender theology). Not a small library, perhaps, but I'm not unschooled. Frankly, I don't really even see much of an argument.

The Doctor becoming a woman and it being no big deal seems to run contrary to the claims of trans men and women. For them, gender reassignment is a big deal, in that it is something they generally value, something that is generally seen as vital. The writers/producers probably want to fight transphobia by saying that going from M to F is shrug worthy from the perspective of people who aren't the person making the transition, but such a change seems not shrug worthy from the perspective of the person in question. If I were transformed into a woman tomorrow, I don't think I'd be particularly comfortable, and that discomfort would seem to confirm the discomfort trans people feel.

The Doctor is a shapeshifting alien, this is not the thread for that conversation.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The Doctor as a character is a shapeshifting alien who we all nonetheless register as having a characteristic humanity, even if we're consciously aware of his technical alien quality. This'd be like saying we can't analyze the Morlocks or Eloi because obviously they're not humans, they're far off distant human ancestors.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I'm of the opinion that a) this is of tenuous relation to Christianity b) my threshold for wanting to talk about doctor who is just hearing it's name mentioned.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Star Wars Presents: Han Solo: The Movie.

But also, your posts.

A resident Star Wars nerd de-lurks to say: There has yet to be an official title announcement, but if they follow the precedent they set last December, it will be "Han Solo: A Star Wars Story."

:goonsay:

On topic content: I had the privilege of serving the chalice the last three Sundays in a row. Lots of people went on vacation in July, and I was happy to cover for them. :)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I don't really have a dog in the gender identity fight; the important thing as I see it is more just what the series has already established. The Doctor's a member of an alien species that regularly undergoes radical physical and psychological transformations to extend their lifespans. Others have already switched genders; and while it may have been in a Comic Relief special, they have turned the Doctor into a woman before. I mean, I don't know if I'd call it dysphoria, but I think I'd have a pretty strong reaction just if I suddenly woke up in a hospital bed looking like Jon Pertwee. But then I'm not a Time Lord.

To my mind, it's not all that different from Lt. Dax, who's already been multiple men by the time we meet her in Deep Space Nine. And she seems similarly nonchalant about it, because she's from a species that doesn't expect its host body or sex to stay the same.

Also, this:

Disinterested posted:

I'm of the opinion that a) this is of tenuous relation to Christianity b) my threshold for wanting to talk about doctor who is just hearing it's name mentioned.
Personally, I checked out with Capaldi. Nothing against him, just never got around to it.

Back to Christianity:

Assuming nothing comes up, my mom and I will be going to a cathedral in Alaska this Sunday! Pray that my travels will be safe and my flights will not be delayed.

I'm still kind of bewildered at her wanting to be Orthodox. I mean, it's not like I was trying.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

this is a really loving dumb hill to die on

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Senju Kannon posted:

this is a really loving dumb hill to die on

No, that would be Golgotha. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Just out of curiosity, are all German women transgender? The grammatical shift from Mädchen to Frau would imply so, but I might be reaching here.

• Locked thread