Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Went to a butcher and got a 2 kg / 5 lb rack. Slightly over oaked it, but other than that had the perfect bite and was really juicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

I have a Little Griddle Kettle-Q and an Arteflame cooktop insert for my 22" Weber. The Kettle-Q is awesome for quick cooking small poo poo like breakfast kinda stuff, or fajitas, but the Arteflame is great for searing steaks, mushrooms and burgers since it's 1/2" carbon steel instead of thin stainless like the Kettle-Q.

Both are cool as hell and very different to cook on (better have an infrared thermometer), I recommend them both.

That Arteflame looks amazing, but way steep for something I'm only going to use 4-5 a year :( Will probably go with the Ballstic Griddle then, since it fits into my Craycort.

I have an infrared thermometer, but why is it necessary?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Colostomy Bag posted:

I never throttle down. You'd be surprised how hot a handful of charcoal can get up to temp once ignited. Less is more.

Getting ready to toss on some turkey legs. This will be a new one for me.

Yeah that was definitely the issue. I lit too much charcoal to start the fuze and as a result about 1/3 of the fuze was burning from the beginning. Need to start less charcoal next time (especially since I use a propane burner to start a little in the chimney - I can light as little as I want). Just misjudged it this time.

Ended up pulling at at 6:45 for a total of 14.5 hours when it hit 200.

Results:

And the beans I put under it on the lower rack which were delicious :toot:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ROJO posted:

Yeah that was definitely the issue. I lit too much charcoal to start the fuze and as a result about 1/3 of the fuze was burning from the beginning. Need to start less charcoal next time (especially since I use a propane burner to start a little in the chimney - I can light as little as I want). Just misjudged it this time.

Ended up pulling at at 6:45 for a total of 14.5 hours when it hit 200.

Results:

And the beans I put under it on the lower rack which were delicious :toot:

I epitomize laziness, but if your smoker holds the temps you want with the vent locations (as in, you aren't messing with the vents while smoking to maintain the temp) you can skip the chimney step and ignite some charcoal right in smoker and it slowly climb up to temp based on your vent settings.

Other than that, nice looking grub!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My pellets won't stay lit, even tried microwaving some. I have to set my smokers temp to 275 to get it to stay near 225 and then have to adjust it every 5 minutes or so. There doesn't seem to be a sweetspot that I can find. 30 inch smoker is way too small, should have went with the 40 inch. It barely even fits a small rack of baby back ribs on each tray, have to lay them diagonal and even still they are hanging off. I got frustrated/desperate and put some pellets in the place for chips, which was a giant mistake. I don't know how many minutes they were in there, but it was smoking way too much and it wasn't a pleasant smell so I probably just coated and ruined my ribs with a layer of bitter/gross smoke.

This is stressful and not very fun :smith:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Grilling two tenderloins today for lunches this week. The one on the right has been marinating in Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk Jamaican Marinade, the one on the left was marinated in Secret Aardvark Habanero sauce (not a marinade, but they claim it can be used as one...)

E: Turned out pretty good. The habanero was good, but definitely not a marinade and I wouldn't do it again. I don't feel like it was a waste, but it could be better. The Jerk was great and I'll make it again for sure.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 18, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

katkillad2 posted:

My pellets won't stay lit, even tried microwaving some. I have to set my smokers temp to 275 to get it to stay near 225 and then have to adjust it every 5 minutes or so. There doesn't seem to be a sweetspot that I can find. 30 inch smoker is way too small, should have went with the 40 inch. It barely even fits a small rack of baby back ribs on each tray, have to lay them diagonal and even still they are hanging off. I got frustrated/desperate and put some pellets in the place for chips, which was a giant mistake. I don't know how many minutes they were in there, but it was smoking way too much and it wasn't a pleasant smell so I probably just coated and ruined my ribs with a layer of bitter/gross smoke.

This is stressful and not very fun :smith:

Hey, we've all been there. No big deal. Crap happens.

What smoker you got, what are you using to smoke the pellets?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hey, we've all been there. No big deal. Crap happens.

What smoker you got, what are you using to smoke the pellets?

Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, AMAZEN pellet smoker. Nothing I could do to keep the temp from yoyo'ing from 220-250 the entire time. Is it really that difficult to get a stable temperature with electric or is it just user error in some way? I guess I'll just make sure to have wood chips on hand for when the pellets don't work.

The ribs were still edible, no smoke ring at all obviously. I probably needed a little more salt, the rub I bought wasn't great. They were slightly overdone, my first thought is to lean towards 3 hours instead of 4, but who the hell knows with how the temperature was fluctuating.

If I was made of money, I would throw away/give away this one and buy the 40inch that has a remote so if I have to make constant adjustments at least I can do it while being a bum inside the house.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How well does the door seal? I added some weatherstripping to mine to get a better seal and keep in heat, but I have a different smoker.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

katkillad2 posted:

Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, AMAZEN pellet smoker. Nothing I could do to keep the temp from yoyo'ing from 220-250 the entire time. Is it really that difficult to get a stable temperature with electric or is it just user error in some way? I guess I'll just make sure to have wood chips on hand for when the pellets don't work.

The ribs were still edible, no smoke ring at all obviously. I probably needed a little more salt, the rub I bought wasn't great. They were slightly overdone, my first thought is to lean towards 3 hours instead of 4, but who the hell knows with how the temperature was fluctuating.

If I was made of money, I would throw away/give away this one and buy the 40inch that has a remote so if I have to make constant adjustments at least I can do it while being a bum inside the house.

1) Electric appliances will "yo-yo" somewhat due to their nature. I'm actually amazed a cake comes out properly when monitoring temps in my kitchen oven with the swings it does.

2) A "40 won't give you more room for ribs, it will be vertical not horizontal. When I do a couple slabs of ribs I cut them in half and fit them on two trays.

3) Smoke ring doesn't really mean much. Clean smoke (blue) does.

How were you measuring the internal temp? Should be set it and forget it and it will maintain it without much variance unless it is flipping cold out. Thirty degree variance...that's somewhat out there. You shouldn't have to mess with the temps on the smoker...it is usually dead on with mine. The element will kick on when it falls a few degrees under what is set.

Do you have the maze or the tube for the pellets?

-

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have zero issues with my MES30 holding a consistent temp.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

That Arteflame looks amazing, but way steep for something I'm only going to use 4-5 a year :( Will probably go with the Ballstic Griddle then, since it fits into my Craycort.

I have an infrared thermometer, but why is it necessary?

The Arteflame is a showpiece, I only use it with company over.

You need the IR thermometer so you can tell what temperature your griddle surface is at. Very, very important. That is all.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

katkillad2 posted:

You need to let way more air into the MES in order to keep your pellets burning. open the chip try inside the unit by an inch or two and pull out the feeder a bit. Crank open the exhaust as well!

This has a secondary effect of stabilizing the MES as well - it is actually pretty good about heating the air into it

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Moey posted:

I have zero issues with my MES30 holding a consistent temp.

Same, mine is 2 years old and rock-solid. I don't do anything extra in there for more/different smoke though.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

unknown posted:

You need to let way more air into the MES in order to keep your pellets burning. open the chip try inside the unit by an inch or two and pull out the feeder a bit. Crank open the exhaust as well!

This has a secondary effect of stabilizing the MES as well - it is actually pretty good about heating the air into it

Should I be doing this with a MES without a pellet smoker? I'm too cheap to buy one and am just using the MES stock. I've noticed that the first load of chips burns fine and the ones after that just blacken without producing much smoke.

Also I've had no issues with temp control but I haven't tried loving with what you're talking about.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Colostomy Bag posted:

2) A "40 won't give you more room for ribs, it will be vertical not horizontal. When I do a couple slabs of ribs I cut them in half and fit them on two trays.

The 40" Masterbuilts are also wider. I have one at work and you can fit two slabs of babybacks comfortably on each rack

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I really wish I would have gotten the 40, at the time I only had a tiny balcony, now I have slightly more room.

I'm at a stupid high elevation (9600') so I was having trouble getting my pellets in the AMNPS to stay lit, attaching a computer fan to the original chip feed location helps. Also the Pellet Tube burns much better (but for less time).

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mob posted:

The 40" Masterbuilts are also wider. I have one at work and you can fit two slabs of babybacks comfortably on each rack

I agree. In a pinch I can fit 3 slabs of ribs on each shelf.

I always try to tell people to get the 40" even if you don't think you need it at first because you will have a time when you want to smoke a lot of meat at once.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Defrosting a brisket for this weekend. :toot:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

Defrosting a brisket for this weekend. :toot:

You should buy your meat fresh :colbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm doing 2 chucks 2 ways.
we will :science: the poo poo out of this meat.
One smoked + crutch, one SV and smoked.

I'll be sharing the smoker so once the chuck is wrapped, i'll start smoking some jerk chicken over pimento then will finish that on the actual grill.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

toplitzin posted:

...i'll start smoking some jerk chicken over pimento then will finish that on the actual grill.

I've always wanted to actually use pimento smoke for jerk. Did you actually find a source for pimento wood chunks or do you have a technique for using allspice berries or something?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Thinking about doing up some beef ribs, among other things, this weekend. Any tips for the dino ribs? This would be the first time any of us have tackled them.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

RisqueBarber posted:

You should buy your meat fresh :colbert:

It was fresh when I bought it. :shrug:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

qutius posted:

Thinking about doing up some beef ribs, among other things, this weekend. Any tips for the dino ribs? This would be the first time any of us have tackled them.

Make sure the ones you buy haven't been hacked to poo poo to keep most of the meat on a roast. Those are loving terrible, and all too common around here now.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So I pulled out the defrosted brisket, got really lazy, grabbed the huge rear end container of premixed taco seasoning and covered it for the evening in it.

Will let you know how it comes out. Worst case it will taste like smoked fajitas.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah minus the whole citrus that makes fajitas fajitas. Taco seasoning isn't used on fajitas for a reason.

I mean I'm sure you'll come back and report that it was awesome and others here will celebrate "experimentation" but jesus christ doing that to a brisket... loving salt and pepper if you want to be lazy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sellouts posted:

yeah minus the whole citrus that makes fajitas fajitas. Taco seasoning isn't used on fajitas for a reason.

I mean I'm sure you'll come back and report that it was awesome and others here will celebrate "experimentation" but jesus christ doing that to a brisket... loving salt and pepper if you want to be lazy.

Calm down picañte pants.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm ordering an Arby's brisket sandwich to settle my nerves!!!!!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Taco seasoning on brisket sounds sacrilcious. It will probably be quite tasty but you'll piss off like 1/2 the thread.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Taco seasoned brisket tacos sounds badass though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i watched the first episode of pitmasters or hwatever its called on netflix and the guy smothered his wagyu brisket in margarine

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
What kind of morally bankrupt people are using taco seasoning for anything?

Jose posted:

i watched the first episode of pitmasters or hwatever its called on netflix and the guy smothered his wagyu brisket in margarine

This kind, I guess.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

Oh no, the sacred brisket which is harder to cook with more varied results and less flavor than a chuck roast done the same way.
Get a grip.

Referring to taco seasoning as fajita like seems to have touched a nerve. I am going to cook it and eat the living gently caress out of it.

I mean it's not like I am going to smoke it wrapped around a can of corona...

edit: :thunk:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 22, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I disagree about the difficulty of cooking brisket compared to chuck and about the flavor.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Chop up the brisket real small and fry it in a skillet and make philly cheese steak sandwiches

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just kidding. I did a somewhat simple rub of chili pepper, cumin, oregano, red pepper, onion with garlic powder, salt, sugar and paprika.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

^admit you just read the label of your taco seasoning ingredients

The last brisket I cooked left me smoking the flat and cubing the point. I froze those and later used it in a beef stew. It was incredible and some people here were ready to burn the heretic.

If I were being lazy I would S&P though

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I disagree about the difficulty of cooking brisket compared to chuck and about the flavor.

Agree to disagree. Although I don't see how you can disagree about the flavor. Do a chuck and brisket side by side with no rub and tell me which has more flavor.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Chop up the brisket real small and fry it in a skillet and make philly cheese steak sandwiches

Gonna chop up one of my previously smoked pork belly sections and make burnt belly ends. Then dump them in beans.

I'll utilize steak-ums for my pcs'

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Fog Tripper posted:

Agree to disagree. Although I don't see how you can disagree about the flavor. Do a chuck and brisket side by side with no rub and tell me which has more flavor.

Gonna chop up one of my previously smoked pork belly sections and make burnt belly ends. Then dump them in beans.

I'll utilize steak-ums for my pcs'

Real talk: when I smoke a beef tenderloin I use the trimmings for pcs the next day. It's amazing.