Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PT6A posted:

Because they bought five wax statues and shot a ridiculous 2 minute trailer?

I mean this in the kindest possible way: are you high?

I wasn't completely serious. But he does get a lot of money to stuff like fly over Lord Buckethead to have him waving over the credits, buy people's debt and completely erase them and buy commercials on Fox just to gently caress with Trump (not that I think any of those things are bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And all of those stunts put together are still not a patch on the budget of HBO's bigger shows. They also pay dividends in headlines and viewership when everyone watches to see what he'll do next.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I can only imagine Oliver giggling in delight when the wooden crates holding the presidents were opened in the offices for the first time :3:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MikeJF posted:

I would let young Nixon use me and then dump my body in a river any day.

Remember that Nixon liked to pretend he was an alligator while swimming.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alhazred posted:

I wasn't completely serious. But he does get a lot of money to stuff like fly over Lord Buckethead to have him waving over the credits, buy people's debt and completely erase them and buy commercials on Fox just to gently caress with Trump (not that I think any of those things are bad).

All of which probably cost less than 2 days of craft services on a GoT shoot.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
IIRC he bought 15 million in debt for 60k

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Exactly. If Oliver, or one of his producers, says to the accounting office 'We want to spend airfare to/from England, a week's room and board in a good hotel, and some touristy stuff, so we can have Lord Buckethead show up and wave at the audience for thirty seconds,' it probably isn't even worth the accountant's time to think about if it's 'worth it.'

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
From interviews and appears on Colbert etc, it's clear that for the type of show it is, he has a very healthy per-show budget and freedom on how to spend it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pablo Bluth posted:

From interviews and appears on Colbert etc, it's clear that for the type of show it is, he has a very healthy per-show budget and freedom on how to spend it.

Yes, and an extremely healthy per-show budget for something like LWT is orders of magnitude less than for something like Game of Thrones. It's clear he's not doing this on a shoestring budget by any means, but some of HBO's other properties are so ridiculously expensive by comparison that it barely makes sense to compare them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Presumably the Harding trailer cost magnitudes more to produce than $13.5k.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I see the SA forums are post-hyperbole.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pablo Bluth posted:

Given how often he has the same actors on these short skits, they're probably both local to the studio and doing it cheap for the laughs

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pablo Bluth posted:

I wouldn't really call it magnitudes. Yeah actors like that have minimum SAG payouts but they're very small for something like that. The whole trailer was probably filmed in a day without any reshoots or a ton of scrap footage to trim. They also probably borrowed available set time from things that were already set up. You could probably run the whole production for $50k of expenses plus the actors.

The real budget of LWT goes to the investigative and writing teams, and I hope someday HBO releases the figures of just how much capitol they've pumped into it to get results this good.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I can only imagine Oliver giggling in delight when the wooden crates holding the presidents were opened in the offices for the first time :3:

Calling up Colber', "Hey Stephen, guess what I haaaaaaave..... :allears:"

Orange Devil posted:

Wait, what?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The fox advertisement wasn't even nationwide. They didn't buy an ad on Fox, they bought an ad within the DC/Virginia/Maryland metro cable company to air an ad in the metro on Fox.

Assuming the White House gets satellite feeds, nobody there even saw it. The other poo poo they buy like wax Presidents and Yankees tickets is like an hiring a couple extras on GoT.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MikeJF posted:

Just go look at young Biden until you feel better.
Or young shirtless model Gerald Ford; its amazing how our most blatantly evil president was a loving Quaker.

Orange Devil posted:

Hell who doesn't?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of those actors agreed to do it for little or no money. It was like a day of shooting and was probably super fun. And they're probably all local.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Y'all are dumb as gently caress to even entertain this argument

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Y'all are dumb as gently caress to even entertain this argument

Yeah, but we're all dumb as gently caress anyway for even arguing this entertainment.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The real answer is he can spend what he likes because Janice in Accounting don't give a gently caress.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Orange Devil posted:

What, float like a log and drag any nearby swimmers to the bottom of the pool?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Or young shirtless model Gerald Ford;

Pft, I'm sure you're exaggeratin-

sweet jesus that is one hot loving president

Also hitler's wet dream

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 5, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rappaport posted:

Calling up Colber', "Hey Stephen, guess what I haaaaaaave..... :allears:"

Wait, what?

Not Martin Van Buren

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like to think that even if the show hadn't budgeted for it, Oliver would have bought those presidents out of his own pocket anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
John was a guest on The Late Show this week and nearly had a giggling fit when Stephen insisted on talking about how he's being sued by the coal company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrSivDZUXw

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Trevor also served as an outlet for Janice's opinions of gently caress giving on the daily show since LWT was off.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John was a guest on The Late Show this week and nearly had a giggling fit when Stephen insisted on talking about how he's being sued by the coal company

That whole interview was amazing.

Was the lapel pin he was wearing the insignia for the unit (1st Cavalry Division) his wife served in? Or was there another reason for it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I like how he is basically the happiest anyone has ever been about being sued.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

They even held back a bit for the Friday show that deals with the wax presidents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcojKy6c7Q

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

https://youtu.be/VSuD7gMQ0x4?t=2m48s
"This means something - if 'something' means anything."
"I know what you mean."

That was depressing as gently caress.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like how he is basically the happiest anyone has ever been about being sued.

There is no way that didn't go through the lawyers who were going to be arguing it in court, who already have their arguments ready to go and absolutely no chance of losing. John did not seem concerned about losing the case. poo poo, if I had HBO's lawyers backing me saying "Go ahead, we can beat this guys rear end and make him pay us for the privilege" I'd be giggling too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Oliver made it obvious when he first brought it up that the HBO legal team had already been through it and told him exactly what he could and couldn't say. Its why that entire piece was basically him quoting directly from memos and stories. There's no case there and he had HBO's backing going in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only hope Murray has is to try to get the court to stop Oliver from talking about the case, because otherwise he's just giving material to the show.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only hope Murray has is to try to get the court to stop Oliver from talking about the case, because otherwise he's just giving material to the show.
The bit on Colbert was really funny, John was just bursting to talk about the case but couldn't.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Melissa McCarthy resigned

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

When's ol' Trigger-Warning coming back? I can't wait to hear his take on this, but if it's too far off, too much more crazy will happen and he'll have to cover that instead.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

tarlibone posted:

When's ol' Trigger-Warning coming back? I can't wait to hear his take on this, but if it's too far off, too much more crazy will happen and he'll have to cover that instead.

July 30th

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tarlibone posted:

Hopefully by then we get more wives of heads of state convincing Trump they don't speak English. Or Trump just assumes more foreign people don't speak English. Which ever.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It's back on tonight, right?

Better be 90 minutes to cover all the crazy poo poo that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At the rate this administration is going the show should be on twice a week. One show to cover the latest insanity of the Trump administration and another show to cover the topics they would cover if not having to constantly deal with the burning wreck that the current administration is.

• Locked thread