Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Sure love how you can throw a flashbang at someones feet and then they just step out and one tap you with the shotgun completely unaffected thanks bluehole :thumbsup:

My favorite was when I threw mine across the floor, waited what felt like five full seconds only to run out and have the thing go off right in my face, why the gently caress do they take so loving long arrrrgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Good soup! posted:

My favorite was when I threw mine across the floor, waited what felt like five full seconds only to run out and have the thing go off right in my face, why the gently caress do they take so loving long arrrrgh

That poo poo will completely blind you from 20 metres away but if your body is turned 1 degree away from it you're somehow 100% immune. I think they should just get full effectiveness no matter what way you're facing in maybe a 5m radius around the explosion.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO2lQZyVGAM

Never not drop base.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

I am absolutely one of those dicks who will sit behind a corner waiting in third person and pop out to kill guys who come up to it and even I'm looking forward to first person.

Everybody does, you'd put yourself at a big disadvantage if you didn't. But many (most?) people agree it's pretty lame. I can't wait for first person mode.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I had an... interesting first win. I think I died like a millisecond after the other player, as I'm slumped over on the victory screen and had zero health (until the painkillers I had on healed me up in that screenshot).

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

VulgarandStupid posted:

My goddamn private ivory channel. Actually the reason I even made the private channel was because when I'm playing, I don't need someone coming in and being loud. This game relies a crazy amount on sound. I joined a public channel the other day, I was in the top 7 of my game and a newer goon comes in and starts talking, mostly asking if we're in a game or whatever. I do a very loud "SHHHHHHHHHHHH", then he asks again so I "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" again. He still doesn't get the message. He starts talking again so I say "Shut up shut up shut up." Yet he keeps talking. I tell him to shut up again. Still keeps talking. So I had to alt-tab (again, in the last 7) and kick him from the Discord. It's the first time I've kicked anyone. Hell, I only took away Umdrehung's ability to post links when he linked goat.se and made his name blend to the background.

Now, as far as playing with people closer to my skill level goes, well, you have to understand you can only play with 4 people. The other thing you have to understand is that there is Match Making by Rank in this game. That rank is probably averaged through your team, so if you really want to play with me, we can play. What will probably happen is you will die early, because the competition is harder than you're used to. I will, in general, have a pretty easy time since your low rank will probably bring the average up out of the top tier. Since its easier competition for me, I'll probably rack up kills while you spectate me for 25 minutes while I make top 10 or win. This is what happened to hindered, who is my long time friend way back from the Counter-Strike days. He didn't get a single kill, while me and oovee went on massive kill streaks and got 3rd place and won. I can't imagine that's very fun for him, as I prefer to play rather than spectate.

On the other hand, if you've sneaky snaked yourself up a respectable ranking, we will stay in the highest tier of match making, and we will run into the best of the best. You can get your head taken off by Viss or my old Arma 3 BR squad mates like Great Cornholio and Paaaradox who are ranked 2 and 5, the second you peak, then I'll get gunned down shortly after and blame it on being out numbered. And then that won't be fun for me either.

I do not like MMR, I wish it was not in game, and I would "care" a lot less and gently caress around a lot more with different people. In DayZ, or any of the spin Arma off mods, I ran around with big goon groups even though most of them were bad. It didn't matter, there was no limit on group size.

If you go back and read, you weren't being criticized for playing with smaller group circles.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just got this today. Going to get my bearings a bit before hopping on with goon squads. Top 20 in every game but the first so far. Game's fun.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

VulgarandStupid posted:

My goddamn private ivory channel. Actually the reason I even made the private channel was because when I'm playing, I don't need someone coming in and being loud. This game relies a crazy amount on sound. I joined a public channel the other day, I was in the top 7 of my game and a newer goon comes in and starts talking, mostly asking if we're in a game or whatever. I do a very loud "SHHHHHHHHHHHH", then he asks again so I "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" again. He still doesn't get the message. He starts talking again so I say "Shut up shut up shut up." Yet he keeps talking. I tell him to shut up again. Still keeps talking. So I had to alt-tab (again, in the last 7) and kick him from the Discord. It's the first time I've kicked anyone. Hell, I only took away Umdrehung's ability to post links when he linked goat.se and made his name blend to the background.

Now, as far as playing with people closer to my skill level goes, well, you have to understand you can only play with 4 people. The other thing you have to understand is that there is Match Making by Rank in this game. That rank is probably averaged through your team, so if you really want to play with me, we can play. What will probably happen is you will die early, because the competition is harder than you're used to. I will, in general, have a pretty easy time since your low rank will probably bring the average up out of the top tier. Since its easier competition for me, I'll probably rack up kills while you spectate me for 25 minutes while I make top 10 or win. This is what happened to hindered, who is my long time friend way back from the Counter-Strike days. He didn't get a single kill, while me and oovee went on massive kill streaks and got 3rd place and won. I can't imagine that's very fun for him, as I prefer to play rather than spectate.

On the other hand, if you've sneaky snaked yourself up a respectable ranking, we will stay in the highest tier of match making, and we will run into the best of the best. You can get your head taken off by Viss or my old Arma 3 BR squad mates like Great Cornholio and Paaaradox who are ranked 2 and 5, the second you peak, then I'll get gunned down shortly after and blame it on being out numbered. And then that won't be fun for me either.

I do not like MMR, I wish it was not in game, and I would "care" a lot less and gently caress around a lot more with different people. In DayZ, or any of the spin Arma off mods, I ran around with big goon groups even though most of them were bad. It didn't matter, there was no limit on group size.

About 10-15 of my real life friends play this. 4-5 of us have 100-200 hours with respectable stats. The others are no where near as good. When we mix in the others we still do absolutely fine, and have won plenty of games.

As long as you can give clear concise instructions to these players, and they are able to follow them, they don't feel like a weight at all. They also tend to improve very quickly, as they learn good patterns from your instructions. Now if you can't give those instructions under pressure or don't feel like it (which is totally fair), then that's another story. But the whole "I can't play with people who have worse stats cause they will die instantly" just doesn't seem true, at least in my group's experience with the game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Megasabin posted:

About 10-15 of my real life friends play this. 4-5 of us have 100-200 hours with respectable stats. The others are no where near as good. When we mix in the others we still do absolutely fine, and have won plenty of games.

As long as you can give clear concise instructions to these players, and they are able to follow them, they don't feel like a weight at all. They also tend to improve very quickly, as they learn good patterns from your instructions. Now if you can't give those instructions under pressure or don't feel like it (which is totally fair), then that's another story. But the whole "I can't play with people who have worse stats cause they will die instantly" just doesn't seem true, at least in my group's experience with the game.

You have to realize he has a massive superiority complex and this is how it manifests

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That poo poo will completely blind you from 20 metres away but if your body is turned 1 degree away from it you're somehow 100% immune. I think they should just get full effectiveness no matter what way you're facing in maybe a 5m radius around the explosion.

Nah 'cause then it would functionally be a frag grenade. Anyone hiding behind something would have to run out from cover or get 100% guaranteed hosed.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If someone comes onto discord or w/e asking if you are in a game, I feel like maybe answering "Yeah we're in one right now" with optional "sorry, try another channel" might be a better way to quiet them than just going "sshhhhhh" over and over again and then eventually alt tabbing. It's the little timesaving tricks that add up to score those chicken dinners.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

If someone comes onto discord or w/e asking if you are in a game, I feel like maybe answering "Yeah we're in one right now" with optional "sorry, try another channel" might be a better way to quiet them than just going "sshhhhhh" over and over again and then eventually alt tabbing. It's the little timesaving tricks that add up to score those chicken dinners.

I will only respond with "SSSSHHHHHHHHH, SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP" unless the pubs /bow and address me as Sensei well groveling as they ask to be allowed to play with The Great Chicken Dinner Winner as I am known.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Party Plane Jones posted:

edit: can you even destroy motorcycle tires

As far as I can tell no which is dumb.

Also I like how the game indicates a tire is flat by having that wheel flash in and out existence and glitch all over the place.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to see stats from say, the last 50 games? I have never played much games like arma or cs:go so i cut my teeth on this game and my first 100 or so games I seldom killed anybody. Dunno if i am improving im topped out around a .6 kdr

Edit: in the same vein is there any way to wipe your stats? Also they reset the leaderboards the first week i played. Do they do that regularly?

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 18, 2017

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Hockles posted:

Even better if you stole that jeep from somebody who stopped to loot a house.

Agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAyHvNnn1Aw

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willfrey posted:

Is there any way to see stats from say, the last 50 games? I have never played much games like arma or cs:go so i cut my teeth on this game and my first 100 or so games I seldom killed anybody. Dunno if i am improving im topped out around a .6 kdr

Edit: in the same vein is there any way to wipe your stats? Also they reset the leaderboards the first week i played. Do they do that regularly?

pubgtracker.com should let you check some of the stats. Not sure if it goes up to 50 games but there you have it. You can't wipe your stats. Leaderboards are tied to the season. Currently we're in the second season so it should be a few months until they reset the stats again.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cicadalek posted:

Yes, or I can expect people to respond to regular social cues. Anyway, it was just a kick, he/she/it is free to come back. I haven't banned anyone yet and probably won't.

Taffer posted:

You have to realize he has a massive superiority complex and this is how it manifests

Thanks. Honestly, my personal cut off for playing with someone has always been 1.0. If you have under a 1.0 KDR after a month of playing, there is probably an underlying problem that I'm not responsible for fixing, whether it be hardware related, communicative, a learning disability, you're on drugs, or who knows what.

Willfrey posted:

Try KDA.gg or pubgtracker. I think you're out of luck though, because you have to check your stats to start getting tracked. Also, for some reason, on KDA.gg you have to push the start tracking button.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VulgarandStupid posted:

Half speed = dead speed
                     /

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Imagine caring about KDR in a game about hiding in bushes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, it's really weird how the poo poo players care so much about KDR that they get salty when they can't play with higher KDR players every game...

Also weird how after begging to play with those people they get salty when criticized by those players the same way they criticize each other constantly.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I only thing I care about is the horn i get when i take a life

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to drive around in a car and shoot people. Sometimes they shoot me, though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just missed my first chicken dinner. It was a strong start with four kills in a warehouse and ended in the circles convening extremely close near one of those two story single room buildings with the larger top floor. If I had just hugged one wall of it and waited I think he would have died to zone. Instead I misjudged where he was and caught a headshot for my trouble.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't use the goon discord but what I'm hearingis that you join a channel, ask to play a game, and then you have a 50/50 chance to either play a game or being hissed at by a goose who doesn't know how questions work. In both cases you will be insulted afterwards in this thread

Worrying about KDR seems like so against the spirit of the game. It is easy worth dying a hundred deaths in exchange for that one game where you totally manage to ramp a car onto the roof of a house like that one video.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Cicadalek posted:

I don't use the goon discord but what I'm hearingis that you join a channel, ask to play a game, and then you have a 50/50 chance to either play a game or being hissed at by a goose who doesn't know how questions work. In both cases you will be insulted afterwards in this thread

Worrying about KDR seems like so against the spirit of the game. It is easy worth dying a hundred deaths in exchange for that one game where you totally manage to ramp a car onto the roof of a house like that one video.

people play the game for different reasons really & that's ok. Some people really care about their kdr & some people just like making cool poo poo happen. Neither is the wrong way to play whatsoever & is exactly why buildings like school exist

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The discord is very good. The problem is people who are whiny cunts about wanting to play with people that don't want to play with them. There are like a thousand people who use it, it's not loving hard to find people who actually like you unless you're a completely miserable piece of poo poo.

Most of this thread is drama and trolling because, again, the discord is actually good and that's where people get their real questions answered.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cicadalek posted:

I haven't played for a while now, but I used to play on the goon discord every day and it was fine. Yeah there are tryhard people with their special high KDR channels, but there are also a ton of friendly people who are just up for a game whenever.

Honestly, once you get a bit more experienced with the game, it can be frustrating playing with people who don't call out properly, who talk too much, or who are just plain bad and a wasted spot on a squad. If you're looking to take the game a bit seriously and play to win, you don't really want to team up with people like that because nobody has any fun. If you just wanna roll out and shoot the poo poo and maybe get a few kills, then there are plenty of goons like that too.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You need at least a kdr of 8 to play with this bad rear end mother fucker!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if you don't want to play with someone then don't that is how I use the discord, I don't really base it on k/d and more on whether or not you're paying attention, but there are def people who are just spaced out or whatever and I just can't play with them. I'd rather play with pissmop or spartacus when they're super trashed than an unfunny person who is just not listening to discord or legally blind or something

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
I like to queue squad games on my own with auto matching enabled and then check my team mates stats while we are on the starter island. If they don't have a KDR of exactly 4.20 I will team kill them at the earliest opportunity.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
FWIW, everybody on the Goon Discord has been good to me, even VulgarandStupid!

Also god drat this was a good dinner:

Long jump to Yasnaya, another squad was there but landed on the west end of town, we went northeast, cleared the apartment blocks, then moved and cleared the police station and embassy. We holed up in the embassy and the squad came to us, we hosed them up and then just owned all comers as the circles closed. Ended up in the middle of a wheat field, I went prone and opened up one one of the last guys, he killed the other one and died to the zone. Wooooooooooo...

If you want to watch one of the other guys' stream of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxQdmIAXhuw

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 18, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I would like to take just one moment to welcome the new players and reassure them that the pathetic backbiting ITT is not representative of goon playtime, which can be very enjoyable. Hail satan.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Tatsuta Age posted:

got my first chicekn dinner and hooooly poo poo is my adrenaline going nuts

I haven’t felt so jazzed over a victory in like a decade since my one pairs victory, it owns

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cicadalek posted:

Goku is right about that though, don't join discords and talk a tonne.

E: You can probably find people to play with you just don't be like some goons and be super defeatist AND bad AND homophobic when you kill dudes.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Um... I just wanted to see if i improved. I guess i tweaked a nerve

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The discord is good although occasionally people will just start telling you how bad your stats are. It's not just one person, it's a handful from what I've seen. But that's fine, I personally don't really care being told my stats are bad (they are). Most goons are cool enough that I don't get annoyed even after several rounds.

However, there are a few players who will literally talk over others while they announce enemy positions to ask for scopes or ammo or if anyone's found a kar98. That's not cool! Looting a downed enemy instead of reviving is not cool. Looting downed enemies that you didn't kill and taking all the good poo poo while your teammates revive each other is also not cool. It's not cool to say stuff like "Bad guys right there in front of me" when no one has any idea who "me" is or what direction you're facing. These players can have high K/D or hundreds of hours in the game. They suck a lot more than goons being a bit uppity about who they play with.

Most goons are cool and good and were very nice to me when I first started playing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It would be nice to have a LFG channel or the like in the Discord.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'll play with anyone and have gotten probably 1/3 of my chicken dinners with literally the very worst goons <3... but there are two kinds of squads: people putting in the effort to win and haha lets gently caress around and have fun and stand out in the open having a loot party hahaha so funny who cares if we lose squads.

Play however you want, but if you join a squad with 3 people who are known serious players, expect to play serious PUBG.

In my hundreds of games with goons, people with poo poo KDRs generally don't call out contacts, don't use cover, will shoot at literally anything that moves (especially people that they have zero chance of finishing off), and generally will get angry if you point any of these things out to them. People who don't do that usually end up with good stats quickly.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Warbird posted:

It would be nice to have a LFG channel or the like in the Discord.

We have "Looking for Dickgirls"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
i joined a discord channel and two goons were fighting eachother dropping n-bombs and other poo poo regarding a previous game

other than that, i'm happy to play with anyone, but sometimes people talk too much, but that's allright!

• Locked thread