Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Golf Sadist is almost as good as Golf Hooligans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

I have zero appreciation or fondness for golf but I'm enjoying it mostly because of how absurd all these sports manga cliches feel when applied to as quiet and respectful a sport as golf. If it were 100 chapters deep into serialization or something before I noticed it I probably wouldn't have bothered but since I caught it early it's fun enough to keep up with every week.
Oh there are absolutely Type-A personalities and shittalkers and weirdos in pro golf. The thing about it is how the game is played, where the best players in a tournament may not even see eachother. This doesn't lend itself to person-to-person conflict during a match like a manga sorta needs.

There's definitely tension to be exploited in the sport too since your placement can hinge entirely on a single stroke made over the course of an entire day.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 8, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Blood Lad

Hahaha! Don't Stop Me Now is not what I expected, but it is :krad: :rock: and completely perfect atmosphere-wise for this manga. Not bad!!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just read the first 3 chapters of Dr. Stone.

It looks promising, however I can't get too immersed due to how unrealistic it is.

So the main characters who break out of their stoned state managed to keep their consciousness for over 3,000 YEARS!? Someone would lose their minds after two days or so.

I also found it dumb that they revived a guy to fight lions. What kind of person is strong enough to fight lions?

I know you can reply with "it's a loving manga" but this seems to be grounded much more in reality with it's setting than something like Mob Psycho 100.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just read the first 3 chapters of Dr. Stone.

It looks promising, however I can't get too immersed due to how unrealistic it is.

So the main characters who break out of their stoned state managed to keep their consciousness for over 3,000 YEARS!? Someone would lose their minds after two days or so.

I also found it dumb that they revived a guy to fight lions. What kind of person is strong enough to fight lions?

I know you can reply with "it's a loving manga" but this seems to be grounded much more in reality with it's setting than something like Mob Psycho 100.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Dr. Stone is not feigning anything resembling realism except maybe in some scientific and biologic stuff and even then it's exaggerated.

If you ever read Eyeshield 21 which is written by the same author, he basically dances around with absurdity with what characters can get away with, Dr. Stone just takes it up x1000 notches in both premise and cast shenanigans.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Compendium posted:

Dr. Stone is not feigning anything resembling realism except maybe in some scientific and biologic stuff and even then it's exaggerated.

If you ever read Eyeshield 21 which is written by the same author, he basically dances around with absurdity with what characters can get away with, Dr. Stone just takes it up x1000 notches in both premise and cast shenanigans.

I'm new to the author but, still fighting lions...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
In Eyeshield 21, there's a character with spiky teeth and pointy elfy/devil ears who has hoards of ammunition that he threatens his teammates with and also rocket launchers and he has a network of people he blackmails all for the sake of high school football

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hiruma was a really good character.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Compendium posted:

In Eyeshield 21, there's a character with spiky teeth and pointy elfy/devil ears who has hoards of ammunition that he threatens his teammates with and also rocket launchers and he has a network of people he blackmails all for the sake of high school football

That's still less dumb than a guy who fights against a horde of lions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Stone starts with a spontaneous and unexplained worldwide spontaneous petrification and the main character recovers from it due to wanting to confess to his crush real hard. His best friend is a teenage super genius who kept conscious as a rock through the power of counting and discovered a cure to the mysterious stone plague in no time at all.

It was never realistic.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
What I'm saying is, Eyeshield had a bunch of dumb poo poo that was fun and so does Dr. Stone, it works in both of them, but your complaint about the latter is stupid because you ironically have unrealistic expectations for a manga that isn't going for realism. Like, if the story isn't your thing, that's fine, but making complaints about something that wasn't there to begin with and not willing to use suspension of disbelief is silly.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 9, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Compendium posted:

What I'm saying is, Eyeshield had a bunch of dumb poo poo that was fun and so does Dr. Stone, it works in both of them, but your complaint about the latter is stupid because you ironically have unrealistic expectations for a manga that isn't going for realism. Like, if the story isn't your thing, that's fine, but making complaints about something that wasn't there to begin with and not willing to use suspension of disbelief is silly.

I guess. I mean it isn't suppose to be realistic. It would be like complaining about the lack of realism in Kill La Kill. I goofed up sorry guys.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
please disengage from this conversation. it's the dumbest most bad faith filled discussion of all time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

punk rebel ecks posted:

You can be honest with us here:

Are you a lion?

Are you angry at the treatment of your people in manga?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mulva posted:

You can be honest with us here:

Are you a lion?

Are you angry at the treatment of your people in manga?

We are a proud people.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

We are a proudpride of peoplecats.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

weird joke but, hell, I'll allow it

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I hope the next chapter of The Promised Neverland is just a HxH chapter. Give me 21 pages of pure text full of lore and worldbuilding. I crave it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I hope the next chapter of The Promised Neverland is just a HxH chapter. Give me 21 pages of pure text full of lore and worldbuilding. I crave it.

When Musica said he eats everything except humans, does that mean he eats other demons?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silver2195 posted:

When Musica said he eats everything except humans, does that mean he eats other demons?

I think the creepy close up and double affirmation of it makes it pretty clear.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also this guy's in High School (as is the arm grabbing him):

So is this duder:

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 10, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Writing up a Promised Neverland OP since it probably deserves its own thread at this point. Open to title suggestions. Was probably going to keep it spoiler free until the end, unless it's a better idea to just lay it all out up front? Feels weird to not want to spoil something that happens in the first chapter, but it's a really effective surprise I think.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nah keep it on the down-low, it's a deepening sense of dread followed by the big reveal and when it hit me I went back over the entire chapter and all the clues were right there.

No clue about a title though. Maybe some kind of nursery-rhyme pun?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

Nah keep it on the down-low, it's a deepening sense of dread followed by the big reveal and when it hit me I went back over the entire chapter and all the clues were right there.

No clue about a title though. Maybe some kind of nursery-rhyme pun?

"A Sports Manga About Tag," maybe?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big reveal happens in the first chapter. the big reveal is the basic premise of the manga. might as well just make a thread consisting entirely of black bars if you are that worried about it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Went ahead and made it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the big reveal happens in the first chapter. the big reveal is the basic premise of the manga. might as well just make a thread consisting entirely of black bars if you are that worried about it.

Even as early as it is I still think there's merit in preserving the surprise. I'm glad I didn't know about it before checking it out, personally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ruse won't last past the OP but what a ruse it will be.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The ruse won't last past the OP but what a ruse it will be.

With a little work, you could probably do something similar to the Jojo part 4 anime thread.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ballroom 42 is out, if you didn't know about.

Binary joke!

Right?!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hate that joke for so many reasons

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that joke doesn't really work phrased like that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, it doesn't work verbally.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
His brothers do kinda look like smarmy guys who'd laugh about it among themselves, like 'heh, WE'RE smart enough to get the joke!'

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a short story/comic from the Toriko mangaka about his decades long friendship and rivalry with Oda for the 20th anniversary of One Piece. It's pretty cool so long as you forget the conspicuous absence of the part where his really popular gag manga ended because he got tossed in jail for trying to pick up an underage girl.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Where's the story? Also iirc it was because he was peeking on women's baths or something lol

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Plutonis posted:

Where's the story? Also iirc it was because he was peeking on women's baths or something lol

It's in the American Shonen Jump. Don't know if scanlators have picked it up yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's kind of sad that now at its real climax or whatever, I could not care less about Magi's lore or wtf dumb cosmic poo poo is happening in the story. I guess this is the inevitable path of many shonen

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked the end of Magi up until it turned out all the debate-fights with shards of Sinbad were completely pointless because David popped up again and suddenly they had to go fight the entire world. It feels like the author was told to extend the series for another year.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Sindai posted:

I liked the end of Magi up until it turned out all the debate-fights with shards of Sinbad were completely pointless because David popped up again and suddenly they had to go fight the entire world. It feels like the author was told to extend the series for another year.

Yeah, I feel pretty similar. I felt like Sinbad as set up pretty perfectly as the final antagonist, and I was really hoping that, considering the series's preoccupation with politics and diplomacy, the whole situation would be resolved without a big dumb fight. But that may have been expecting too much.

Honestly, Magi won back a bit of faith with me in the final arc, if only because the "hierarchy of the gods" thing is so esoteric that I love it. Plus, it spiritually hearkens back to the original Arabian Nights influences on the series, what the whole "nested stories" and whatnot. But it's still a goddamn crime how hard Morgiana's been sidelined. It's like the author forgot she was the tritagonist or something. I'm really hoping she manages to make a comeback now that they're committed to the big dumb battle thing.

Magi in general is kind of a frustrating series for me, because I find the characters rather charming, but it just seems so unfocused. I really miss the dungeon crawling; the early arcs both capitalized on the Arabian Nights aesthetic and simultaneously encapsulated a corny DnD campaign in about the most genuine way possible.