Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Isn't him being in a state where he's still in the senate but can't press the yes button actually helping keep the current system working? I'm not saying the dude isn't a shithead, but his broken brain and huge ego means he won't leave his seat and also can't vote yes (or for cloture on other stuff) in the meantime.

Agreed, doesn't mean all these things cant be true. If you wanted to hurt and embarrass a sitting member of Congress into maybe not being a shithead this might be one of those moments. He still will/might/could vote yes. Most in the same position would be killed by whats ailing him but his awesome government provided healthcare is keeping him alive so he can take away healthcare from millions.

Senators and Reps need to start paying for their lovely votes, personally. Shame should be heaped on these men for what they want to do.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

I have no idea how it happened, but it seems like the VA is staffed with a lot of malicious actors. I've heard stories from veterans about how they'll shred your paperwork and pretend they never received it, so you always need to send them photocopies rather than the originals. And they'll constantly try to make you sign waivers saying that you never worked with asbestos just in case you get mesothelioma.

Yeah our healthcare system in the US is a mess but the VA is a special kind of awful.
The VA is like every other part of the government bureaucracy outside a few high end teams of dedicated professionals. No one actually cares about doing the job they are supposed to be doing, their goals are 1) keep their job and 2) get promoted. Number 2 is accomplished by maximizing the metrics by which they are measured, nothing more, nothing less. A VA employee will shred your documents because mistakes and missed appointments look bad, but missing paperwork can be explained away, and they may have moved on before it gets discovered. This problem is exacerbated in the civil service, because the difficulty of firing GS employees and specific statements of work mean that there is no incentive to do anything not explicitly part of your job.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/887069681646841856

if a medical issue is the thing that sinks this second attempt at trumpcare I may die laughing

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, Scalise is super sick and may not make it out of the hospital, depending on where he's got an infection. If it's in a major blood vessel that can have a 70+% chance of death.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Zikan posted:

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/887069681646841856

if a medical issue is the thing that sinks this second attempt at trumpcare I may die laughing

Either McCain pulls through and has s change of heart after this realizing humans need medical care, dies and there is a referendum on healthcare in AZ, or he lives and votes to kill poor people. I'd rather #3 not happen .

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlueBlazer posted:

Either McCain pulls through and has s change of heart after this realizing humans need medical care, dies and there is a referendum on healthcare in AZ, or he lives and votes to kill poor people. I'd rather #3 not happen .

Isn't #2 more like "dies and the governor appoints a yes man"?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Azhais posted:

Isn't #2 more like "dies and the governor appoints a yes man"?

yea... your right... my rage boner overcame my knowledge of the political process.

Soooooo... we hope he becomes a vegetable? Which would be even more lol to see the Republicans in congress argue for them to pull the plug for a yes man.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Reik posted:

If it was a system everyone was on though, it would be much harder to get the support. Republicans don't dare try and cut funding to Medicare. Medicaid is only fair game because it's for "the poors".

I get the sense the Republicans would attack single-payer healthcare with as much intensity as they have the ACA and attempt to privatize/ruin it as soon as they could. Because God forbid government actually work better than a private business.

BarbarianElephant posted:

That could be a huge problem for any single-payer healthcare system in the USA. It would be very vulnerable to being starved every 8/16 years by the Republicans.

I understand this is a problem in the UK in the regards to the NHS. Where the Tories underfund and wreck the system every time hold the majority until Labor can reright the ship.

Also the repeal is dead again as Senators Jerry Moran (Kansas) and Mike Lee (Utah) have come out as no votes.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/887111947606511616

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BlueBlazer posted:

we're talking about someone who slipped in a "lol gently caress native americans" clause in a random unrelated bill just to make a quick buck and try to avoid backlash

mccain hasnt a single ounce of integrity or empathy lol

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The Tories can't entirely starve the system, because most of their voters rely on the NHS. Give them enough time, though... And no-one seems terribly interested in voting them out right now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
can I post this yet

is it too soon am I jinxing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Republicans have until September 30th to pass some type of plan via reconciliation. That's the end of the fiscal year and a new budget needs to be passed.

There's also tax reform they want to pass to hand their donors more money, the debt ceiling needs to be raised to prevent default, and a budget to prevent a government shutdown.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Phlegmatist posted:

I have no idea how it happened, but it seems like the VA is staffed with a lot of malicious actors. I've heard stories from veterans about how they'll shred your paperwork and pretend they never received it, so you always need to send them photocopies rather than the originals. And they'll constantly try to make you sign waivers saying that you never worked with asbestos just in case you get mesothelioma.

Yeah our healthcare system in the US is a mess but the VA is a special kind of awful.

Here is another thing to think about and was posed in my public policy class once. The culture of the VA is a set by the veterans themselves and one thing they insist about the VA is that veterans run it and make most of the decisions. Which means unless the ideas come for a veteran, the VA is unlikely to change.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/ASimendinger/status/887142730547245056

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That seems like the stupidest thing you could possibly do.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If at first you don't succeed, maybe kinda sorta try again. And if you still fail, go for broke.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Uh can they even pass a repeal bill using reconciliation? There's no way it's deficit nuetral over time. Let alone what it would do to healthcare as a whole. Out of everything that's a desperate unthoughtout plan

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like McConnell is ragequitting the BCRA

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Uh can they even pass a repeal bill using reconciliation? There's no way it's deficit nuetral over time. Let alone what it would do to healthcare as a whole. Out of everything that's a desperate unthoughtout plan

I was pretty sure it shouldn't pass reconciliation either, but they did already send a repeal bill to Obama's desk, so I guess it must.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I was pretty sure it shouldn't pass reconciliation either, but they did already send a repeal bill to Obama's desk, so I guess it must.

They didn't quite send a full repeal. HR 3762, the one Obama actually had to veto, was an extensive but only partial repeal. Tom Price, at the time, said only that it "goes a long way toward lifting the burden of Obamacare." Presumably they'd do a similar repeal-as-much-as-possible bill again.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Reconciliation bills can increase the deficit, they just have to sunset if they do. I am not sure if this could be passed through reconciliation though.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So the plan is to pick up Rand Paul's vote and.. what, hope the senators who were voting no because of the Medicaid reductions suddenly all have strokes? Why would any senator who was off the bandwagon over Medicaid cuts suddenly be on board for this?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Cabbit posted:

So the plan is to pick up Rand Paul's vote and.. what, hope the senators who were voting no because of the Medicaid reductions suddenly all have strokes? Why would any senator who was off the bandwagon over Medicaid cuts suddenly be on board for this?

I'm thinking that the turtle just wants to move on at this point, and will hold a repeal vote with no chance of passing just so he can go "welp we tried"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cabbit posted:

Because the Republican caucus always caves in the middle.

Still, I don't think McConnell is really considering repeal-and-delay as a legitimate avenue, just a vote they can show to the base come 2018. But who knows, after the House bill died and then came back even worse, I have zero faith in the Republican moderates holding back the tide.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Antti posted:

Because the Republican caucus always caves in the middle.

Still, I don't think McConnell is really considering repeal-and-delay as a legitimate avenue, just a vote they can show to the base come 2018. But who knows, after the House bill died and then came back even worse, I have zero faith in the Republican moderates holding back the tide.

I could see repeal-and-figure-it-out-later being done. "Figure it out later" is a political bedrock principle that can really bring folks together.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

I could see repeal-and-figure-it-out-later being done. "Figure it out later" is a political bedrock principle that can really bring folks together.

There's definitely precedent.

Remember sequester...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

There's also stuff like budgets and the Medicare doc-fix (I forget the details but basically some arcane provision of Medicare) that have gone this route of Congress constantly passing a placeholder measure to keep it running, with the risk that if they drop the ball the whole house of cards will collapse. So we might see repeal-and-delay until 2018 and then another round of repeal-and-delay in 2018. Basically kick the can down the road, then if Democrats pass Medicare for everyone they can pivot to fighting against that. Just eternal opposition instead of passing any actual reform because then you can run in elections on that issue in perpetuity.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That seems like the stupidest thing you could possibly do.

republicanparty.txt

also democracticparty.txt

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doesn't repealing Obamacare with a two-year delay and extending it forever have some pretty serious problems.

Insurers have to price their 2019 plans in August or September of 2018 and then they're locked in, if they can't even be sure the subsidies are going to pay out in 2019 because there's a repeal on the books unless congress acts (lol), they'd have to take into account the risk of all but the sickest dropping coverage the instant subsidies vanish. Premiums would go through the roof well in advance of the actual end date of the legislation.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I'm a bit confused here, does "take up the house bill" mean the taking up the ACHA and scribbling "Obamacare is repealed in two years" in the margins or what?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm a bit confused here, does "take up the house bill" mean the taking up the ACHA and scribbling "Obamacare is repealed in two years" in the margins or what?

Yeah. Procedurally, a reconciliation bill has to originate in the House. The Senate can throw away everything that's in it. But its vote must technically be on a bill that first passed the House, even if the text of the bill isn't what passed the House.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't repealing Obamacare with a two-year delay and extending it forever have some pretty serious problems.

Insurers have to price their 2019 plans in August or September of 2018 and then they're locked in, if they can't even be sure the subsidies are going to pay out in 2019 because there's a repeal on the books unless congress acts (lol), they'd have to take into account the risk of all but the sickest dropping coverage the instant subsidies vanish. Premiums would go through the roof well in advance of the actual end date of the legislation.

I hadn't even thought of that. It might be the "force Obamacare into meltdown" gambit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm confused by the thought process here...if "repeal and replace" didn't get enough support to even go for a full vote, how the hell will "just burn it all down" stand a chance?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Antti posted:

I hadn't even thought of that. It might be the "force Obamacare into meltdown" gambit.

This is a dumb plan if they are doing it on purpose; people will blame whatever is happening to them on whoever is in power when it happens to them. While trump and the republican can count on most of their base no matter what, this would be a tremendous blow to that stability. It absolutely would peel off some of their support, and they simply can't afford that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antti posted:

That gambit is just ending the cost sharing subsidies. Actual repeal makes it hard to blame the chaos on Obamacare :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I'm confused by the thought process here...if "repeal and replace" didn't get enough support to even go for a full vote, how the hell will "just burn it all down" stand a chance?

It gets the crazies on board.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Let's say that McConnell makes good on his threat to actually negotiate with Democrats to 'fix' the health insurance market. Is there even a plausible bill that could garner 60 votes in the Senate? I'd imagine it would have to have at least 10 Democratic votes, as people like Paul, Cruz, and Lee I cannot see voting for a bill that would be amenable to 10 Democrats in any way.

I mean when it boils down to it when I think of 'fixing' Obamacare I think of providing more generous subsidies and enforcing the individual mandate more strictly. I find it difficult to believe that there would be enough Republicans willing to stomach voting for such a bill.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 18, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Let's say that McConnell makes good on his threat to actually negotiate with Democrats to 'fix' the health insurance market. Is there even a plausible bill that could garner 60 votes in the Senate? I'd imagine it would have to have at least 10 Democratic votes, as people like Paul, Cruz, and Lee I cannot see voting for a bill that would be amenable to 10 Democrats in any way.

I mean when it boils down to it when I think of 'fixing' Obamacare I think of providing more generous subsidies and enforcing the individual mandate more strictly. I find it difficult to believe that there would be enough Republicans willing to stomach voting for such a bill.

i'm having a hard time imagining a bill that Republicans could agree to that Democrats could also agree to. Maybe a Medicare for All bill but we let Republicans take credit.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Grassley and some other senators floated ending the medical device tax and the employer mandate in exchange for higher subsidies and a stiffer penalty (assuming Hillary was president)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i'm having a hard time imagining a bill that Republicans could agree to that Democrats could also agree to.

They're not going to abandon the health care lobby and move to single-payer unless there's a gun against their head.

Hillary's plan made Obamacare slightly more palatable and the GOP should just put their name on that:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...one-in-america/

quote:

Hillary Clinton’s Commitment: Universal, Quality, Affordable Health Care for Everyone in America

The Affordable Care Act was a critically important step toward the goal of universal health care, offering coverage to 20 million more Americans, and ensuring all Americans will never be denied coverage on account of a pre-existing condition or their gender. Today, 90 percent of all Americans have health insurance, the most in the history of our country.

Despite this progress, Hillary believes that we have more work to do to finish our long fight to provide universal, quality, affordable health care to everyone in America. This starts by strengthening, improving and building on the Affordable Care Act to cover more Americans.

First, Hillary will work with governors to expand Medicaid in every state, so that access to care no longer depends on where you live. It is a disgrace that 19 states have left 3 million Americans without health insurance because their states have refused to expand Medicaid. It is wrong that Republican governors and legislatures are leaving too many Americans without health insurance even though they qualify for coverage. Hillary will launch a national campaign to enroll people who are eligible but not already enrolled. She will expand access to affordable health care to families regardless of immigration status by allowing families to buy health insurance on the health Exchanges regardless of their immigration status.

Second, Hillary will get health care costs under control so that those who have health insurance can afford the health care they need. She will not stand for unjustified health premium increases – she will make sure the Secretary of Health and Human Services has the authority to block or modify unreasonable health insurance premium rate increases so that coverage is more affordable. Hillary has comprehensive plans to address increasing out-of-pocket and prescription drug costs. She will cap prescription drug costs that people have to pay out of pocket, and limit excessive out-of-pocket costs for families. And Hillary will work on long-term solutions to reduce consumer costs of prescription drugs so that these drugs are affordable for all, while not stifling innovation that produces life-saving and life-extending scientific breakthroughs.

Third, consistent with her previous proposals on public options, Hillary will pursue efforts to give Americans in every state in the country the choice of a public-option insurance plan, and to expand Medicare by allowing people 55 years or older to opt in while protecting the traditional Medicare program.

Hillary has also laid out strategies to address a multitude of pressing health care challenges – from Alzheimer’s, to autism, mental health and substance abuse, to public health infrastructure and environmental health, to women’s health, all the way through Zika.

As we advance toward the goal of universal health care, Hillary believes we must do more to address the lack of access to primary health care, dental care, mental health care and affordable prescription drugs.

One critical component of establishing universal primary care is to expand our proven system of Federally Qualified Health Centers. Today, 25 million people in the United States get their care from these community health centers each year. We must significantly expand that coverage so that every American, regardless of where they live, has good quality primary health care available to them at a cost they can afford.

The Affordable Care act significantly expanded mandatory funding for FQHCs. As part of her comprehensive health care agenda, Hillary is committed to doubling the funding for primary care services at community health centers over the next decade. In doing so, we will dramatically expand access to millions more people. This means extending the current mandatory funding under the Affordable Care Act and expanding it by $40 billion over the next 10 years.

Hillary also supports President Obama’s call for a near tripling of the size of the National Health Service Corps, which will increase funding to $810 million in 2017 and grow over time to $1.3 billion by 2027.

These are good investments for patients and for taxpayers. Today, community health centers save more than $1,200 per person per year. This is a savings to the overall health care system of $49 billion each year. And by allowing people to access health care when they need it, we will avoid costly illnesses, hospital stays and trips to emergency rooms. A healthier population also means fewer missed days of school and work. In sum, working toward providing universal primary care to all Americans by investing in community health centers will save billions in unnecessary health care spending.

Together these steps will get us closer to the day when everyone in America has access to quality, affordable health care.