Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
This is probably a stupid question but what exactly is an "army dip" because Google results aren't quite getting me what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

goose willis posted:

This is probably a stupid question but what exactly is an "army dip" because Google results aren't quite getting me what I want

Here's the Army Painter one

You just open the can and dip the guy in. You can get similar results from wood stains.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I noticed that two of the three snapbfit intersessor marines can be easily converted to carry heavy weapons as they have separated arms.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Here's the Army Painter one

You just open the can and dip the guy in. You can get similar results from wood stains.

Wow, that looks great! Is there a cheaper alternative? Otherwise I'll just get that

edit: lmao it's 22 dollars on sale on Amazon nevermind

Though if there's still a cheap/good one I'll buy it too

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Any feedback or advice yall could give me on babby's first list?

Munchables posted:

Oh ok, thanks! Hope this looks ok.
Again, I've never made a list before so idk much, and I don't have most of these models so its completely open to being changed and it'll help me figure out what to get! TIA for advice!

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [74 PL, 1356pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain in Terminator Armor [8 PL, 128pts]: Power sword, Storm bolter

Chaplain in Terminator Armor [7 PL, 115pts]

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Combat knife, Sniper rifle
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher
. 3x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 3x Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 128pts]
. 4x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: 2x Power fist
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 85pts]
. 4x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Thunder hammer

+ Elites +

Cataphractii Terminator Squad [13 PL, 233pts]
. Cataphractii Sergeant: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. Cataphractii Terminator: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist
. Cataphractii Terminator: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 167pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Multi-melta

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: Jump Pack
. 4x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Thunder hammer

Scout Bike Squad [5 PL, 92pts]
. 2x Scout Biker: 2x Twin boltgun
. Scout Biker Sergeant: Combi-flamer, Twin boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [7 PL, 197pts]: Armorium Cherub
. Space Marine Sergeant: Combi-melta
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

++ Total: [74 PL, 1356pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Except intercessors and inceptors are both on the BA list, and you always use the most recent version of a data sheet. So BAs will use the codex Intercessors when the codex drops.

Not actually true, unless I'm completely misreading this:

If I have a Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Space Wolves army, will I need to buy Codex: Space Marines to use my army?
You don’t have to. Other Space Marines factions not covered in the new codex will continue to use all the datasheets, rules and points values in the index until their own codex is released. Rules for new models not covered in the index (like the upcoming Redemptor Dreadnought) will be available in the box with the model and matched play points for these units will be made available online.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
I'm so excited to have my rules in even more places than before!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

goose willis posted:

Wow, that looks great! Is there a cheaper alternative? Otherwise I'll just get that

edit: lmao it's 22 dollars on sale on Amazon nevermind

Though if there's still a cheap/good one I'll buy it too

I dipped all my tyranids in minwax stain, it's cheap

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Would it be fair game to file power fist fingers to look like a 30k lightning claw? I looked at the sergeant I listed as having 2 power fists but one of them is actually a claw.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

muggins posted:

I dipped all my tyranids in minwax stain, it's cheap

Which one specifically?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Whoops, posted it in the wrong 8th edition thread. But my friend is going to be running melee raven guard dreads so that turn 1 he can advance up the field under smoke for -2 to hit.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

goose willis posted:

Which one specifically?

I believe it was this. I'd get a small jar and test on a lovely model you don't care about like a bigly aggressor

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

muggins posted:

I believe it was this. I'd get a small jar and test on a lovely model you don't care about like a bigly aggressor

I don't really understand the desire to use wood stain, you have so much more control with a traditional wash. Do you just hate painting and want to do as little of it as possible to get them "done"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I don't really understand the desire to use wood stain, you have so much more control with a traditional wash. Do you just hate painting and want to do as little of it as possible to get them "done"

That's literally what dipping exists for.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Munchables posted:

What is your goal? If you are trying to win a big tournament then this needs to be redone entirely. If not and want a good casual game, you'll be fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Just wash your dudes like normal

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dipping is a lazy, lovely 'shortcut' that gives you inferior results and risks damaging your models.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's literally what dipping exists for.

I really can't imagine enjoying 40k if you hate painting models. Thats like getting into surfing but hating getting wet or drumming but hating loud noises. You must REALLY love the lore of 40k to hate painting and play this meh of a war game.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I learned very early on that dipping wasn't a good idea when I decided to be "clever" with my first space marine, and basecoat him by... dunking him completely into the pot of chaos black.
I mean, it's not really the same thing but it still soured me on the idea of any manner of submersion-based painting.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Munchables posted:

Just off the top of my head...

I don't much care for the Multi-Melta Devastators on foot without any Bolter dudes to catch fire for them. Either get them a Rhino or a Razorback so they can drive close enough to get into 12" of a tank that has to die, or at least give 'em some bulk with some Bolter dudes or else you'll start losing your expensive Multi-Meltas on the second or third unsaved Wound. Alternatively, switch out the MMs for Missile Launchers or Lascannons. That'll get you 48" range so you can place the Devs way the gently caress back and at least get a round or two of firing with them before they start losing models with expensive guns attached. I'm a big fan of the Missile Launcher, since it's good anti-tank and useful against hordes of light infantry too, but the Lascannon is the superior anti-tank gun if that's all you care about.

Muilti-Meltas are really only better than Lascannons for killing tanks when the MM is within 12". Therefore, Multi-Meltas are best used on things that can get into 12" quickly, like Land Speeders, or things tough enough to get there, like your better class of Dreadnoughts, or both like a Land Raider. On your Devastators you'll have to get close for the MMs to be worth it, and walking a handful of expensive models across the board is just begging to get shot first thing.

Similarly, that tiny Tac Squad with the Thunder Hammer Sergeant needs some way to get into melee. As is they'll probably get shot right off the board if they try to walk into charge range since five Marines really aren't that hard to kill.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no benefit to having two Powerfists on the same model. You're just wasting points, since having two of the same weapon won't give you an extra attack unless (as the Lightning Claw do) it specifically says you do. Lose the second Fist and get a pistol.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Uroboros posted:

What is your goal? If you are trying to win a big tournament then this needs to be redone entirely. If not and want a good casual game, you'll be fine.

I just want to have a decent list for playing the game and havin fun. It'll def be casual play, thanks :)

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

jng2058 posted:

Just off the top of my head...

I don't much care for the Multi-Melta Devastators on foot without any Bolter dudes to catch fire for them. Either get them a Rhino or a Razorback so they can drive close enough to get into 12" of a tank that has to die, or at least give 'em some bulk with some Bolter dudes or else you'll start losing your expensive Multi-Meltas on the second or third unsaved Wound. Alternatively, switch out the MMs for Missile Launchers or Lascannons. That'll get you 48" range so you can place the Devs way the gently caress back and at least get a round or two of firing with them before they start losing models with expensive guns attached. I'm a big fan of the Missile Launcher, since it's good anti-tank and useful against hordes of light infantry too, but the Lascannon is the superior anti-tank gun if that's all you care about.

Muilti-Meltas are really only better than Lascannons for killing tanks when the MM is within 12". Therefore, Multi-Meltas are best used on things that can get into 12" quickly, like Land Speeders, or things tough enough to get there, like your better class of Dreadnoughts, or both like a Land Raider. On your Devastators you'll have to get close for the MMs to be worth it, and walking a handful of expensive models across the board is just begging to get shot first thing.

Similarly, that tiny Tac Squad with the Thunder Hammer Sergeant needs some way to get into melee. As is they'll probably get shot right off the board if they try to walk into charge range since five Marines really aren't that hard to kill.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no benefit to having two Powerfists on the same model. You're just wasting points, since having two of the same weapon won't give you an extra attack unless (as the Lightning Claw do) it specifically says you do. Lose the second Fist and get a pistol.

Awesome, thanks! I was thinking about drop pods for the dedicated transport but I suppose those are one-time use anyway. My idea was to drop pod my terms into the enemy and then jump pack my vanguards into em while the rest of my dudes make their way over.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Munchables posted:

Awesome, thanks! I was thinking about drop pods for the dedicated transport but I suppose those are one-time use anyway. My idea was to drop pod my terms into the enemy and then jump pack my vanguards into em while the rest of my dudes make their way over.

If you want transport for them, take rhinos or razorbacks. You want stuff they can pile out of and then charge if you're planning to get into melee.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Munchables posted:

Terminators don't need a drop pod, they can deep strike on their own. The advantage of a drop pod over razorbacks or rhinos is they allow space marines to get into close combat/rapid fire range./melta range turn 1 if they want. I haven't run that kind of space marine list in 8th but in general it's a sort of "all or nothing" kind of strategy. If you want to get up in their face turn one its best to have all your army in there, if its only part they won't be nearly as effective. Sending just one or two of your units gives your enemy something to focus on, an clear plan, dumping 6 or 7 units will often make your opponent feel overwhelmed and they will miss play.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/this-weeks-pre-orders-with-us-and.html?m=1

Price leaks for the space marine codex. 50 bucks base, 80 dollars for the collectors edition and...250 dollary-doos for the "primaris edition". The gently caress could be in that?

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I was really hoping after the decent index prices that codex's were not gonna be completely off the moon, freaking yikes.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Terminators don't need a drop pod, they can deep strike on their own. The advantage of a drop pod over razorbacks or rhinos is they allow space marines to get into close combat/rapid fire range./melta range turn 1 if they want. I haven't run that kind of space marine list in 8th but in general it's a sort of "all or nothing" kind of strategy. If you want to get up in their face turn one its best to have all your army in there, if its only part they won't be nearly as effective. Sending just one or two of your units gives your enemy something to focus on, an clear plan, dumping 6 or 7 units will often make your opponent feel overwhelmed and they will miss play.

Oh ok, I'll look into how drop pods work a little more then. Thenatically for my chapter I like the idea of crashing down on top of the enemy and crushin em or a slow lumbering advance that takes a lot to take down.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/this-weeks-pre-orders-with-us-and.html?m=1

Price leaks for the space marine codex. 50 bucks base, 80 dollars for the collectors edition and...250 dollary-doos for the "primaris edition". The gently caress could be in that?

Gonna bet the Primaris edition is a limited release with codex + the new toys

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hrm. Probably not going to grab the reivers and dread at those prices.

Also now I'm convinced the Repulsors will be $90.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Corrode posted:

Gonna bet the Primaris edition is a limited release with codex + the new toys

I think its more likely its like a hat and a usb drive

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Well, at least the Aggressors aren't going to be centurion-priced like my friend was expecting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Welp. Guess I'm using Ebay for any new releases.

Like, when the Aggressors look like the best-priced set of the group, you know something's up.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
meet the new gw, same as the old gw :rolleye:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

meet the new gw, same as the old gw :rolleye:

Nah

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I doubt this is true and it is likely just an attempt to convince people that its ok to buy kits with old marines in them (I wouldn't)

Why not? Squatmars are cool looking models, are currently supported, and if they lose support in the future you can just play your old Marines as Primaris. Seems like a low risk purchase to me.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

I certainly much prefer the look of squatmars to bigmars

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cainer posted:

I was really hoping after the decent index prices that codex's were not gonna be completely off the moon, freaking yikes.

The codices are all hardcover so the price is about what i expected tbh.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah hopefully there'll be cheaper ebook versions. Horus Heresy redbooks come out to like $40, I'm not dropping $50 on a 40k codex. I don't need 80 pages on how awesome the ultima founding was and how primaris marines are so much better in every way, I just want my chapter tactics.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 18, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LordAba posted:

You know how the raven guard get rerolls for jump pack troops and -1 to hit? Well, the orks were just leaked, and ork units get a +1ld bonus when in max sized units.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Munchables posted:

I certainly much prefer the look of squatmars to bigmars

Glad I'm not the only one...