Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/mindthet/status/880114618684891136

mindthet posted:

Genders: two

Types of racist: haha that's a spectrum, pal

https://twitter.com/serious_content/status/880115178544799752

serious_content posted:

peak was Milo fans splicing the differences between different grades of pedophile

https://twitter.com/marty_freudman/status/880118954290692096

marty_freudman posted:

Showing my intimate knowledge of ages of consent worldwide surely proved I was not a pedophilia apologist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

hey, if it works for scott. i find it hilarious that scott knows every petty detail of neoreactionary thought and can bring it up at a moment's notice, usually to correct some mean sjw who cares about nothing but mischaracterizing reactos, but has literally no conception of what anyone to the left of the democratic party line thinks (other than what neoreactionaries think about them, of course).

I don't think this is entirely true - Scott reads people like Nathan Robinson and Freddie DeBoer regularly - but he does definitely interpret them in a confused way, because he lacks a lot of the background knowledge (the inferential distance is high, to use LW language.) It doesn't help that he seems to have gotten his main ideas on how Marxism works from Peter Singer's extremely weak gloss. But Marxist thought is getting more common in general, and increasingly being read by establishment center-left types if only to be refuted rather than simply dismissed, so I think in general that may be less of a problem as time goes on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

hey, if it works for scott. i find it hilarious that scott knows every petty detail of neoreactionary thought and can bring it up at a moment's notice, usually to correct some mean sjw who cares about nothing but mischaracterizing reactos, but has literally no conception of what anyone to the left of the democratic party line thinks (other than what neoreactionaries think about them, of course).

Anything they actually give as an argument is disingenuous because signalling, so he makes up a version of their position he thinks he would hold if he were deducing their beliefs from first principles, and then argues that.

This is charity. Somehow.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oligopsony posted:

I don't think this is entirely true - Scott reads people like Nathan Robinson and Freddie DeBoer regularly - but he does definitely interpret them in a confused way, because he lacks a lot of the background knowledge (the inferential distance is high, to use LW language.) It doesn't help that he seems to have gotten his main ideas on how Marxism works from Peter Singer's extremely weak gloss. But Marxist thought is getting more common in general, and increasingly being read by establishment center-left types if only to be refuted rather than simply dismissed, so I think in general that may be less of a problem as time goes on.

of course he reads them because his general milieu (including neoreactionaries) reads deboer, and it's unremarkable that that hasn't helped scott one loving bit in understanding things any better. it's less that he "lacks a lot of the background knowledge", or well, he does, but the reason he and his ilk interpret deboer so shittily is because of why they read him. they read and follow him because he criticizes a lot of the social justice and identity politics garbage in the left, and the general programme and tactics of the mainstream left in america. and he realized that a lot of his followers were lovely reactionaries and conservatives, like razib khan, which is how eventually scott and the rationalists caught onto him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"I built my brand on attacking the oppressed and now my fanbase is full of terrible people, how did this happen?!?!"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pope Guilty posted:

"I built my brand on attacking the oppressed and now my fanbase is full of terrible people, how did this happen?!?!"

"but gosh I keep finding myself agreeing with these people I talk with all the time HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Cavelcade posted:

So this probably isn't the right place for this article about racist British comic strips about the Irish (from the 1800s to today!) but I don't know where is and Jesus Christ.
It's a bit six degrees of separation, but 'the Irish had it just as bad' is a trope much beloved by DE types who deign to admit racism exists at all. There's plenty of anti-Irish material you could point to on both sides of the pond, and yet they always take the wrong lessons from it. Take a look at some the essays that got published in England during the potato famine sometime--you could do a find-and-replace and they'd look identical to all the bile that's spilled about 'urban ferals.'

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Since Count Chocula stopped posting in this thread, I'm free to post this

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rangpur posted:

It's a bit six degrees of separation, but 'the Irish had it just as bad' is a trope much beloved by DE types who deign to admit racism exists at all.
Especially Irish-American folks with only the most tenuous of historical connection to legitimate anti-Irish racism.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oligopsony posted:

Who are these people? I can't even find a Wikipedia page about them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Josef bugman posted:

Who are these people? I can't even find a Wikipedia page about them.

Freddie DeBoer is a guy who blogs and writes articles sometimes.

He's left-wing but spends a lot of time criticizing things he dislikes on the left, which is probably why people like Razib Khan and Scott Alexander respond well to him.

No idea about Robinson

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Freddie DeBoer is a guy who blogs and writes articles sometimes.

He's left-wing but spends a lot of time criticizing things he dislikes on the left, which is probably why people like Razib Khan and Scott Alexander respond well to him.

No idea about Robinson

Thanks!

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Robinson is the editor of Current Affairs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I miss that dude, he was amusingly wrong about basically everything.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/885152603180498944

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Literally a Sideshow Bob quote :haw:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DarklyDreaming posted:

Literally a Sideshow Bob quote :haw:

also funny because got and asoiaf is pretty clear about how absolute monarchy is a loving terrible system. the show less so but that's because it's poo poo.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
How can anyone watch GoT and think "I want to live in a place like that"? Jesus loving Christ. I mean maybe it's a little less obvious for the male characters, but they still get pretty regularly tortured, murdered, etc., even if they don't get raped all the goddamn time like the female characters.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pookel posted:

How can anyone watch GoT and think "I want to live in a place like that"? Jesus loving Christ. I mean maybe it's a little less obvious for the male characters, but they still get pretty regularly tortured, murdered, etc., even if they don't get raped all the goddamn time like the female characters.

The right thinks every "strong leader" is a ned stark, but the left thinks they're mostly Ramsey or Joffery.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

I assume the same way people play Fallout New Vegas and come to the conclusion that actually Caesar is the good guy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

pookel posted:

They think that they would somehow be the ones thriving in a society like that. They wouldn't, but that's what they think.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ikanreed posted:

The right thinks every "strong leader" is a ned stark, but the left thinks they're mostly Ramsey or Joffery.
Sure, but look how things turned out for him (and everyone else in Winterfell). Like, what position in Westeros society do they really think they'd enjoy having? Doesn't seem to matter much if you're good or evil, powerful or poor - you're at a high risk of getting tortured and/or murdered in any given situation.

ETA: If I *had* to live in that world, I guess maybe I could handle Dorn? Everywhere else is terrible, though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
GoT is an excellent piece of anarchist propaganda, because it demonstrates that hierarchy is always bad regardless of how well meaning the person at the top is

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I assume the same way people play Fallout New Vegas and come to the conclusion that actually Caesar is the good guy

I knew someone that liked the caeser quests and then tried to defend Duke Nukem Forever and I stopped talking to them

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'll be honest, I don't think Caesar is the good guy, but he's got a couple good points. Same as every other dictator through history, he offers stability and peace. Didn't that one trader say that he prefers dealing in Arizona and New Mexico because he doesn't need to hire protection?

Of course, Mr House also offers stability, protection, and wealth, without crucifying people, so there goes that argument.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

Of course, Mr House also offers stability, protection, and wealth, without crucifying people, so there goes that argument.

or enslaving you or raping you because you're a woman or forcing you to march up against dudes with guns while wearing football pads and a lovely spear made from scrap metal because you're just a lowly recruit

caesar did not have any good points because anything good he happened to said was just justification for his own horrible ideals so he didn't feel like the monster he was

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
If I had to force a single political slant from GoT it would probably be a conservative "political order is very fragile" one, but really the book series is too smart*, and the TV series too dumb, to have that kind of singular thesis.

(Douthat is still plausibly right about a portion of the audience, though. I mean, he's obviously projecting - remember his goofy meditations on "Gladiator?" - but there are a lot of mini-Douthats out there to project accurately onto.)

*If only by virtue of being thousands of pages long and at being at least somewhat thoughtful about it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The idea that dictatorship is stable or safe for anybody at all is a fantasy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Hell the best position to be in in that case would be the dictator themselves and even then you're constantly being eyed up for any sign of weakness by all your underlings and targeted for assassination by all your enemies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Please don't dou that, Ross

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Slime posted:

or enslaving you or raping you because you're a woman or forcing you to march up against dudes with guns while wearing football pads and a lovely spear made from scrap metal because you're just a lowly recruit

caesar did not have any good points because anything good he happened to said was just justification for his own horrible ideals so he didn't feel like the monster he was

TBF, if a point being used to justify something horrible and save the speaker's image delegitimizes it, then there's no such thing as a good point.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

C-SPAM is reading the Kill All Normies book if anyone has Views on that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pope Guilty posted:

A monarch would protect the freedom of the market!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Please don't dou that, Ross

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

MizPiz posted:

TBF, if a point being used to justify something horrible and save the speaker's image delegitimizes it, then there's no such thing as a good point.

i bet you believe Mussolini made the trains run on time

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016

Say No To Life posted:

In other news, one of my favourite bloggers is active again: Louie over on 'Everything is Pointless'. He also has a new podcast show up and running. For some reason, I've having trouble embedding the addresses on the blog-list, but he can be found at

http://everythingispointless.com/

And

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvBjdxGibLxh5_LLq6y35CQ

I encourage everyone to take a look!
Louie Savva was an idiot and a scumbag, although this wasn't fully apparent unless you read the comment threads on his posts, which he has since deleted.

The new generation of nihilists is still worse, though.
https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/bleaker-than-bleak-by-paul-j-ennis/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

danger-carpet posted:

Louie Savva was an idiot and a scumbag, although this wasn't fully apparent unless you read the comment threads on his posts, which he has since deleted.

The new generation of nihilists is still worse, though.
https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/bleaker-than-bleak-by-paul-j-ennis/

Wrong, Paul Ennis is fine and good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Stop trying to make this thread be about random grad students who are like, eight degrees of separation away from anyone mildly alt-right.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pookel posted:

Well if we're talking about the books at least two of the major male characters, Theon and Aeron, are traumatized by serial rape. Life sucks for literally everyone, male rape is just kept secret rather than openly threatened. Which of course plays into the whole "patriarchy sucks" angle. Patriarchal expectations are masculinity heavily harm male rape victims and impede any attempt to recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016

Wrong, Paul Ennis is fine and good.
It's extremely vapid blackpill stuff and "dark enlightenment" in every way bar racism. The fact that it's seeping into academia is more worrying and relevant than your list of antinatalist nobodies.