Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Like everybody else, I got pulled in by $399, so I'm getting pumped for the Rift/Touch to get here. Some quick questions - my touch controllers arrive AFTER the headset - is there anything I can do with the headset before they arrive?

Second is I have just set up my new play area, I have about 8 feet wide by about 8 feet deep and a place to tuck my chair. Should I room scale with the cameras in the corners, or just get a third camera and triangulate?

The office was just finished being reassembled so the floor is nice and clear, but are you guys using something special for cable management or just plugging into the back of your computer tower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you can afford the 60 bucks, it is probably worth to have 3 cameras.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah, at that size you would probably want 3 cameras. The corner without a camera might have some occlusion issues but it shouldn't really be a problem normally.

For things to play without the Touch, I'm assuming you either have an Xbox controller or will be getting the old SKU that includes one. You can play Lucky's Tale and Farlands, which are free. For paid games with gamepad support, to name the best ones, you have Chronos, Elite: Dangerous, Minecraft VR, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, The Climb, Obduction, Edge of Nowhere, Dirt Rally, and EVE: Valkyrie.

Chronos: People like to say this is Dark Souls-lite. It isn't as brutally punishing, but combat is technical and you will die. In fact, dying is how you get stronger.

Elite: Dangerous: That one space game that Chris Roberts likes to hate. Very cool in VR.

Minecraft VR: Minecraft. In VR.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew: Fly your crew mates into mines.

The Climb: It is mountain climbing, which is pretty cool. Lots of well done areas.

Obduction: A Myst-like game from the guys who made Myst. Runs like rear end and leans hard on ASW, but, well, it is Myst and is cool.

Edge of Nowhere: Freaky game. Alien creatures try to kill you in Antarctica while you go insane.

Dirt Rally: Rally racing, yay. Also, people say this game is really difficult.

EVE: Valkyrie: Arcade dogfighting in space. It is very polished, but many people find it hit or miss. I personally like it, but I don't really play it.

There are tons of other games that are really good too that support gamepad, like Blaze Rush, Eagle Flight, Landfall, etc. Just go here and see if gamepad is a support input method:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

Nalin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 17, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There's always Thumper too

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How is Bridge Crew, anyway? I heard lots of hype about it then it came out and I guess got some good reviews, but can you find pick up games with cool people? $60 would be a lot to pay for a dead multiplayer game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Like everybody else, I got pulled in by $399, so I'm getting pumped for the Rift/Touch to get here. Some quick questions - my touch controllers arrive AFTER the headset - is there anything I can do with the headset before they arrive?

The Rift thankfully includes an Xbone controller (best gamepad ever made if you ask me), and there's plenty of fun games that use a gamepad like Landfall, Elite Dangerous, various emulators...

Even without the gamepad you can do stuff like Virtual Desktop, or fire up the Oculus Cinema and import a 3D SBS movie to watch.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Second is I have just set up my new play area, I have about 8 feet wide by about 8 feet deep and a place to tuck my chair. Should I room scale with the cameras in the corners, or just get a third camera and triangulate?

The office was just finished being reassembled so the floor is nice and clear, but are you guys using something special for cable management or just plugging into the back of your computer tower?
I still load up lunar flight in vr every once in a while, it's awfully fun for such a bare-bones gamepad game. Subnautica is also good to play w/ keyboard or gamepad, it's likely not going to support touch. Sadly you missed the steam sales, asking a few weeks ago would have been a lot better.

Put the cameras in the corner about a foot above your head when standing, then use the vr desk program to visually see the cones for fine-tuning angles, since the camera view is rectangular so you can angle them for better coverage and also have it juuust high enough to catch your hands over your head. They should be angled pointing at your waist when you are in the center, and it's most important when you bend down, if you eyeball it you'll lose tracking when you try and pick stuff up off the ground in vr

I recommend 3 cameras but if you want to just go with 2 for now, put one in a front corner and the other in the opposite back corner. Then, when/if you get a third you can put it in the other front corner. You'll likely need an extension cable for the back one.

my computer is actually reversed so I can maximize the rift headset cable length (which is a foot or two shorter than the vive). I put nice cable management running up the walls that blend in so I don't have black cable on a white wall.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 17, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nalin posted:

Minecraft VR: Minecraft. In VR.

Doesn't the Vivecraft motion control version support Oculus touch? Cause that version is wildly superior to normal Minecraft so def. play that when you get your touch.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Doesn't the Vivecraft motion control version support Oculus touch? Cause that version is wildly superior to normal Minecraft so def. play that when you get your touch.
it soooooort of does, it's still in heavy development and I tried playing blightfall on it but like, the teleport mod popup didn't work at all so you couldn't use the teleporter and NEI was wonky.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bhodi posted:

it soooooort of does, it's still in heavy development and I tried playing blightfall on it but like, the teleport mod popup didn't work at all so you couldn't use the teleporter and NEI was wonky.

Blightfall is so specialized though that it doesn't surprise me. The chances of being able to go back and shove VR into it looks dire. People really liked Blightfall tho so maybe we can force it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Blightfall is so specialized though that it doesn't surprise me. The chances of being able to go back and shove VR into it looks dire. People really liked Blightfall tho so maybe we can force it.
it's just that it doesn't support all the random forge mods, it of course needs to run on 1.7.10, support for other versions are really sketchy last I checked and after playing modded there's just no way I could go back to stock even if I wanted to. It's neat to load up and go "Yep, that's minecraft, and wow these blocks are 1 meter square, that's huge!" and then never open it again.

the windows 10 demo one is fine for doing that, and way less hassle to get working than the vivecraft one.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
If you have any interest at all in pinball, Pinball FX2 VR is pretty amazing. Kind of wish they'd port over some tables from the normal version, though.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Boxman posted:

How is Bridge Crew, anyway? I heard lots of hype about it then it came out and I guess got some good reviews, but can you find pick up games with cool people? $60 would be a lot to pay for a dead multiplayer game.

I usually play with two friends and we hit up matchmaking for a fourth and it's been pretty reliable. Usually only takes a minute or two, and we haven't run into anyone super annoying. The game itself is fun as hell.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Echo Arena beta is only going on for a little bit longer, but they just patched in skill based matchmaking so now's a good time to check it out. It'll be back on the 20th too.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I think this got buried, but yes I've purchased lens adapters from these guys. I kickstarted the original project, and got inserts for my Vive. The prices are in EUR, but my US paypal account had no problem converting it.

Last week I ordered a set for my Rift, as I simply cannot play without them. Glasses + VR is poo poo. It's awful and you can never get a perfect image in the HMD because your glasses will never quite sit right.

Their lenses tend to give a barrel distortion. There's a better lens vendor that eliminates this artifact, but their name escapes me.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

The win10 version has support for touch as well, but you can play it with a gamepad if thats all he has.

I've never tried the java version mod before, but I really like how slick the official versions support is. I've never cared about any of the minecraft modding stuff and with the cross play update coming soon to the win10 version I'll probably actually play minecraft again for the first time in ages since I can play with family on consoles.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Company called GameFace coming out with stand-alone VR headset that can run Daydream but also can be plugged into PC and do all Vive stuff:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/17/gameface-labs-vr/

I wish them luck but they're a small player and the heavyweights already have established market presence.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Apparently the TPCast will be out for the Rift in a couple of months

http://www.revvrstudios.com/rev-vr-podcast-ep-146-evening-tpcast

It's a podcast, but the interviewer asks "is it coming for the Oculus Rift?" and they said it'll be ready for Rift in a couple of months. Too expensive for me for a gen 1 addon, but I'm sure plenty of other people will be happy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tom Guycot posted:

The win10 version has support for touch as well, but you can play it with a gamepad if thats all he has.

I've never tried the java version mod before, but I really like how slick the official versions support is. I've never cared about any of the minecraft modding stuff and with the cross play update coming soon to the win10 version I'll probably actually play minecraft again for the first time in ages since I can play with family on consoles.

Your missing out, but of course I'd say that. Trying to play vanilla Minecraft after being exposed to modding is like trying to play vanilla Skyrim after mods, it's impossible. Microsoft could never hope to compete with the raw amount and quality of content that modders pumped out.
Some of the best gaming related experiences I've had have been in modded Minecraft servers. In VR is even better.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Your missing out, but of course I'd say that. Trying to play vanilla Minecraft after being exposed to modding is like trying to play vanilla Skyrim after mods, it's impossible. Microsoft could never hope to compete with the raw amount and quality of content that modders pumped out.
Some of the best gaming related experiences I've had have been in modded Minecraft servers. In VR is even better.
fyi kakermix is (one of the?) creators of technic so he's sliiightly biased towards minecraft modpacks

your tolerance for BS and expertise is far above mine when it comes to modding so once you get stuck in I'd really like to know what you get working; I'd like another run at modpacks but this time in VR, and I haven't played since blightfall/regrowth so please do all the work for me and let me reap the profits just like technic thx

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
The problem with OG Minecraft is that it's made of Java spaghetti code. Performance has always been spotty, and in a lot of cases you'll be lucky to hit 60fps consistently on a high-end PC, let alone 90.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The asynchronous spacewarp fps smoothing thing fixes a lot of those framerate issues for me. I don't have the fastest PC and that, coupled with a slightly higher tolerance for low FPS, helps me enjoy every single VR games I've tried including notorious ones like subnautica. I realize I'm not typical, though!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

D1E posted:

Company called GameFace coming out with stand-alone VR headset that can run Daydream but also can be plugged into PC and do all Vive stuff:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/17/gameface-labs-vr/

I wish them luck but they're a small player and the heavyweights already have established market presence.

It is slightly less gigantic than their first stupid HMD at least. I'll give them some points for integrating a Leap Motion.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

Your missing out, but of course I'd say that. Trying to play vanilla Minecraft after being exposed to modding is like trying to play vanilla Skyrim after mods, it's impossible.

<---- Is the person who played through vanilla skyrim multiple times :negative:

(fair enough I did use some graphical mods the second time through)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So. Is there anyway to stop the oculus home from launching when I pickup the headset? I'd really like to just use steamVR for my steam poo poo, when im not using the rift software. But it keeps wanting to run?

I havent dove into steamvr hard yet, but i'm kinda annoyed that poo poo runs every time I pickup the headset.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The oculus software is required to use the rift, which is kind of lame.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

The oculus software is required to use the rift, which is kind of lame.

So basically, do the ghetto add a program thing and point it at steam vr like this thing says? http://gamedummy.com/steamvrforoculus/

To be honest, Home is super slick and if I can wiggle steam into it, that'll be fine. Less I have to take my headset off, the better.

Would be nice to disable the auto on either way. Weird not having a choice on that. Or at least, ive found in the 15 min I looked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The oculus tray tool has a built in way to replace something in Oculus Home to get to SteamVR. I replaced Oculus Video with it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EbolaIvory posted:

So basically, do the ghetto add a program thing and point it at steam vr like this thing says? http://gamedummy.com/steamvrforoculus/

To be honest, Home is super slick and if I can wiggle steam into it, that'll be fine. Less I have to take my headset off, the better.

Would be nice to disable the auto on either way. Weird not having a choice on that. Or at least, ive found in the 15 min I looked.

Cojawfee mentioned it, but this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully is a helpful tool with a lot of debug and other options, one of which is a one click way to add a steamVR shortcut to home. Its handy because I don't even have to fiddle around with starting steam or doing anything on my desktop, i just throw on the headset, and click on the steam link if I want to play something from within steamVR. You can do it manually like in the link you found, but considering all the other functionality of the tray tool that i've used, and how easy it makes it to add, I'd just do that.

It also has options to stop the oculus services whenever closing out of the trey tool so it doesn't auto start, you just have to launch the trey tool and it starts it all up when you want to do VR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I changed the 'discover wa' app to launch steamvr a long time ago; at some point it deleted/reverted the jpgs but the link still works. That's really the way to go.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Cojawfee mentioned it, but this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully is a helpful tool with a lot of debug and other options, one of which is a one click way to add a steamVR shortcut to home. Its handy because I don't even have to fiddle around with starting steam or doing anything on my desktop, i just throw on the headset, and click on the steam link if I want to play something from within steamVR. You can do it manually like in the link you found, but considering all the other functionality of the tray tool that i've used, and how easy it makes it to add, I'd just do that.

It also has options to stop the oculus services whenever closing out of the trey tool so it doesn't auto start, you just have to launch the trey tool and it starts it all up when you want to do VR.

Yeah, Did that, And this looks like my solution.

Thanks guys.

GTX 960 4 gigs doing just fine on it. I have an upgrade planned but figured id give this thing a run for its money first.

Gorn
Robo Recall

So far, Run great. No issues. Gorns a little hilarious since my play area is a tiiiiiny bit small, but it works.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon claims my Rift will arrive in the next couple days. What sorts of games/demonstrations should I get to help introduce me to T1 VR? Free experiences would be nicest, but things worth cash I don't mind.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Amazon claims my Rift will arrive in the next couple days. What sorts of games/demonstrations should I get to help introduce me to T1 VR? Free experiences would be nicest, but things worth cash I don't mind.

Robo Recall has been "fantastic" For the exp right after the oculus setup. Just start there. For real.

I bought way too much poo poo, and already feel like im gonna start back logging things

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

The problem with OG Minecraft is that it's made of Java spaghetti code. Performance has always been spotty, and in a lot of cases you'll be lucky to hit 60fps consistently on a high-end PC, let alone 90.

Its not so much to do with java and everything to do with the game being made entirely by Notch, someone who had zero game industry experience. Also it constantly changed during development and then was basically just dropped and never finished.

The code for rendering the terrain chunks is sooooo bad.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EbolaIvory posted:

Robo Recall has been "fantastic" For the exp right after the oculus setup. Just start there. For real.

I bought way too much poo poo, and already feel like im gonna start back logging things
Doing Robo Recall first might make everything afterwards seem lame, lol. It's that good.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JazzFlight posted:

Doing Robo Recall first might make everything afterwards seem lame, lol. It's that good.

Haha.

I followed up with Gorn. So I wasnt let down. Gonna give star trek a shot now. O_O

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah I would save Robo Recall and SuperHot until you've done some of the other games and stuff, those two are really great and kind of make a lot of other things pale in comparison.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The movement system in Raw Data PVP is so great. I can't stand teleportation in FPS games, it really breaks the flow of the game. It's nice when a company realizes that not everyone should have to suffer just because some people get motion sickness.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

PerrineClostermann posted:

Honestly the tutorial it runs you through the first time you setup the controllers and your boundary is probably the best single intro to VR and the most concepts. However, listing only 100% Free stuff, I'll give you this sort of order:

The Lab is fantastic and free with several minigames that show off everything from photogrammetry to a mini wave shooter.

Dead and Buried is a free shooter with a hoard mode, shooting gallary and some vs modes. Its simply done, theres no locomotion and its easy to get into so it makes another nice stepping stone (I still think its fun for multiplayer shootouts now just because of how quick and immediate it jumps into the fight).

Budget Cuts It's a very short demo, but cute and well done to get you used to a lot of teleporting, one of the (so far) really standard modes of locomotion.

After all that, you can combine together gunplay and lots of teleporting with Robo Recall. Everyone gushes about it for a good reason, they nailed all the little details, from the simple grabbing robbots and bullets, to hidden features like cocking the shotgun for multishot, to pointless things like pulling back the slide on your pistols that does nothing. Its just polished to a brilliant shine.

If you're getting it in a few days Echo Arena and Lone Echo should be out. Everyones chatted about it enough but the multiplayer Echo Arena is free and has probably the most brilliant locomotion yet in VR. Honestly it works so well I wouldn't be surprised to see zero G space games pop up all over in the next few years like doom clones it feels so good.

Rec Room is free, fun, and the quest modes, golden trophy and jumbotron are some of the best times I've had in VR when playing with friends.

If you're interested in art stuff at all, Medium and Quill come free with it. Medium is a sculpting zbrush type program, and quill is the vr drawing equivalent. if you've played tiltbrush, thats what quill is like, though quill is a bit more powerful and utilitarian functioning since it was originally designed as an internal tool for building the "Dear Angelica" short film.

Speaking of which, the short films Henry, Lost, Dear Angelica, Allumette are some basic passive story experiences, worth checking out they're all only like 5 or so minute long short films.

If you want to chill out and watch movies, or hang out with other people, Big Screen is a virtual desktop program with everything from outdoor scenes to movie theaters, and its multiplayer so you can sit around with 3 other folks and watch movies together, have a virtual lan party, sit on the couch while someones playing nintendo like you're kids, whatever. Theres a big update coming in like a week which should make it a lot better.

I could keep goin, i haven't even mentioned free stuff like Portal Stories (free if you own portal 2), Accounting VR, Lucky's Tale, Mission ISS, Waltz of the Wizard, Herobound, Farlands, Dragon Front, Altspace, Surgeon Simulator VR: Meet the Medic, Compound, DCS, War Thunder and whatever other dozens I'm forgetting or don't know about. I'd start somewhere in the top order though, the tutorial, the lab, D&B, etc etc.

EDIT: Oh something worth mentioning as well for all the steamVR stuff, setting that up for the first time on the rift, at one point it asks you to trace your play space boundary however you also need to be holding the rift and covering the sensor between the eyes that triggers it on. If steam doesn't think the headset is on it won't let you trace it for some reason (unless thats changed since I set it up a long while back). Also if you go into the developer options on the steamVR menu, you can turn off the chaperone walls so you don't have both steam and oculus walls popping up. Alternately from the oculus menu that pops up when you press the oculus button, you can turn off the oculus walls from there if you want to use the steam one (just remember to turn them back on when you leave steam!).

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena comes out on July 20th and it's free and if you don't get it then goblins will kill you in your sleep