Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Yeah they'll get you that replacement pack, but like a couple months after you request it without any communication or acknowledgement of opening the ticket, shipping, etc.

To be fair that's been my experience with pretty much every boardgame replacement from CGE (though they did throw in a promo) to Stonemaier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I just ordered Shades of Tezla from Miniature Market, who allegedly don't have copies from the original batch. I'll let you know the reprint quality when I get it soon.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rumda posted:

To be fair that's been my experience with pretty much every boardgame replacement from CGE (though they did throw in a promo) to Stonemaier.

I've gotten free replacement parts for stuff I broke from both CGE and Stonemaier. They both confirmed replacements within a day and I got the packages 1-2 weeks later. Some people were still waiting for Tezla replacements a year after the initial request, and support had long since ceases responding to emails.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Finally got to play El Grande for the very first time yesterday. Learned it 2p with my GF and we both fell in love it instantly.

Jesus christ it is mean. Not quite the same type of meanness you'd see in Kemet/Cyclades/CitOW dudes-on-a-map-ganking-your-poo poo, but just seeing someone bid differently from you and either take the action you wanted, or go later and completely nullify the action you took and oh boy you forgot the castle and now they've stolen even more poo poo from you. Really really liked it. And that was just two players. I cannot imagine how insane it would get at full player counts. It's the sort of game I almost wish I had started in the hobby with, not that I have too many regrets but I am astounded more people I know don't talk about. Perhaps it's limited availability around my area is the reason?

My only complaint is that I had to get the big box with expansions I know nothing about. Are any of them good/essential?

I also want to add that if people are ever looking for a quick, fun game to introduce people to or get a small group riled up, Las Vegas is godlike. For a game about dice chucking there is a fair amount of interesting decisions delivered in a way that young and old can appreciate. Tons of fun and scales to 5.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 17, 2017

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Stickman posted:

I've gotten free replacement parts for stuff I broke from both CGE and Stonemaier. They both confirmed replacements within a day and I got the packages 1-2 weeks later. Some people were still waiting for Tezla replacements a year after the initial request, and support had long since ceases responding to emails.

These were both large scale mass replacements after the Tash kalar inferno expansion and the Scythe release so it was more than likely just sheer numbers that prevented it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I also want to add that if people are ever looking for a quick, fun game to introduce people to or get a small group riled up, Las Vegas is godlike. For a game about dice chucking there is a fair amount of interesting decisions delivered in a way that young and old can appreciate. Tons of fun and scales to 5.

I'm more or less responsible for selling at least 20 copies of Las Vegas over the last couple years. I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like it, and it is by far the best filler game I have ever played.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

So Ethnos is good and not just hype? Worth having next to Ticket to Ride and friends as a gateway game for people into elves and orcs?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Medium Style posted:

So Ethnos is good and not just hype? Worth having next to Ticket to Ride and friends as a gateway game for people into elves and orcs?

It seems a decent enough gateway game that is pretty easy to expand on if/when they decide to go that route. The different races give good variability, although some make for more interesting games than others (e.g., halflings suck since it encourages people to not put dudes on the map and I'm not sure Orcs see that much use outside of the first era). It's definitely not a "Wow!" sort of game, but it is a decent enough light medium area control game.

John Howe art seems a bit wasted though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, mansions of madness 2nd edition: yay or nay? I love the idea of a p&p rpg-like board game, but only 4 adventures scare me as for a 90 bucks game I'd expect some more replayability.

Though it's not like I can play every week so it would probably take months to complete it, and there's always expansions... But that means more and more money

(Edit: I own eldritch horror and it's my favourite along with agricola but seems to get little playtime due to humongous setup times, play times and complexity)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone recommend a good game that's for 6 people, and has a lot of diplomacy / deal making?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

TorakFade posted:

So, mansions of madness 2nd edition: yay or nay? I love the idea of a p&p rpg-like board game, but only 4 adventures scare me as for a 90 bucks game I'd expect some more replayability.

Though it's not like I can play every week so it would probably take months to complete it, and there's always expansions... But that means more and more money

(Edit: I own eldritch horror and it's my favourite along with agricola but seems to get little playtime due to humongous setup times, play times and complexity)

FFG 1 vs many games instead perhaps?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

Can anyone recommend a good game that's for 6 people, and has a lot of diplomacy / deal making?

Bohnanza?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Moriatti posted:

I am the lone creepy board game guy in my group of friends so I would be doomed to be the DM forever (that incidentally is what keeps me out of p&p rpgs, I would like to be a player sometimes but it just won't happen unless I somehow chance upon some other turbonerd to befriend)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moriatti posted:

What are some of your favorites? Doing some quick searching, I saw Doom recommended, and 1 vs Many is actually a huge favorite at my group, with Whitechapel and Fury of Dracula being our favorites of the genre.

it only supports 5 according to BGG, but It does look fun!

TorakFade posted:

I am the lone creepy board game guy in my group of friends so I would be doomed to be the DM forever (that incidentally is what keeps me out of p&p rpgs, I would like to be a player sometimes but it just won't happen unless I somehow chance upon some other turbonerd to befriend)

I am this guy as well, but I love and embrace my role as "The Other"

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 17, 2017

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Bohnanza goes up to 7.

Edit: If you want a looong game, Game of Thrones is 6 player.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

The version I have (English by Rio Grande) goes to 7 players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

It seems a decent enough gateway game that is pretty easy to expand on if/when they decide to go that route. The different races give good variability, although some make for more interesting games than others (e.g., halflings suck since it encourages people to not put dudes on the map and I'm not sure Orcs see that much use outside of the first era). It's definitely not a "Wow!" sort of game, but it is a decent enough light medium area control game.

John Howe art seems a bit wasted though.

Halflings don't suck because they encourage a play style beyond "make set, place token that is hopefully in an area you want, use special ability". Orcs are better in era 1 because the rewards for area control are smaller, but they get better in large count games because you can't realistically control multiple high-scoring areas anyway.

The only really bad factions are Minotaurs, whose ability is almost never used, and Trolls because they're too dominating.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My god, the new Ignacy game First Martians is a giant fiddly mess. This is one of those "games are supposed to be enjoyable, not more work than the actual fantasy they're simulating" cases. 50 minute how to play from Rodney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7AdJIjsF04

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 17, 2017

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Bottom Liner posted:

My god, the new Ignacy game First Martians is a giant fiddly mess. This is one of those "games are supposed to be enjoyable, not more work than the actual fantasy they're simulating" cases. 50 minute how to play from Rodney.

It's an Ignacy of course it's a mess

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bohnanza goes up to 7.

Edit: If you want a looong game, Game of Thrones is 6 player.

There's a bunch that are 7p: diplomacy, struggle of empires

6p, hm, other than game of thrones, maybe twilight imperium for also super long, Rex/Dune are considered extremely good.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh. I played it on Friday when my copy arrived and thought it was fine. Setup didn't take that long, and it was easy enough to learn and teach. I think the only bit I'd say is really fiddly would be counting up production vs usage, and in the intro scenario you can basically ignore that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

GMT are putting out a 500th anniversary reprint of Here I Stand later this year.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

GMT are putting out a 500th anniversary reprint of Here I Stand later this year.

Hard to believe they've been making games since the 16th century.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Turtlicious posted:

Rex/Dune is an excellent suggestion. Diplomacy is baked into the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homullus posted:

Hard to believe they've been making games since the 16th century.

Not really. It usually takes a century for a game to go from P500 to shipping.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
But when are we getting the 92,000 year anniversary edition of Dominant Species???

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

TorakFade posted:

My group and I love Mansions of Madness 2ed and it was very much worth the 60 I paid for it on sale.

I kinda wish it didn't have minis instead of being nearly a hundred dollars. Their quality is really poor, to the point where we usually just use the tiles to represent monsters instead.

Fun game, garbage minis. Just pretend that you are paying extra for the App instead of plastic. I usually DM so playing a character is especially awesome for me.

Setup is really fast for MoM.

Edit: You can play the missions more than once. We've tried the second one four or five times and still haven't beaten it.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 18, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TorakFade posted:

It's way fuckin' better than I expected and the biggest adventure is about 6+ hours long and intended to be broken into sections, so don't think of it as necessarily being four adventures. When you've played a lot of Descent and Imperial Assault it's really nice to just sit down and have everyone on the table be on the same side.

Bombadilillo posted:

On that subject. Mage Knight vs Star Trek Frontiers. For someone who would 100% perfect star trek theme.

Star Trek Frontiers features the Federation going around and pillaging planets, at least by sheer mechanics if not by theme. It's kinda silly.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

TorakFade posted:

I mean, playing as Imperials in Imperial Assault is really fun, but I get you.

Turtlicious posted:

What are some of your favorites? Doing some quick searching, I saw Doom recommended, and 1 vs Many is actually a huge favorite at my group, with Whitechapel and Fury of Dracula being our favorites of the genre.

I've only played Imp rear end, but Doom looks tight AF and once I get back to an Imp rear end campaign we might do Doom next.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Stelas posted:

Star Trek Frontiers features the Federation going around and pillaging planets, at least by sheer mechanics if not by theme. It's kinda silly.

Yeah, Star Trek seems like a terrible fit for reskinning Mage Knight, unless it's some subversive commentary on how the utopian vision of the Federation is a lie masking aggressive imperial ambition.

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, Star Trek seems like a terrible fit for reskinning Mage Knight, unless it's some subversive commentary on how the utopian vision of the Federation is a lie masking aggressive empirical ambition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

EDIT: I actually meant this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 18, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah but the first one is one of the best conversations in the entire show, so good job linking it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm more partial to "And I CAN live with it..." But the Root Beer conversation is also very good.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 18, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Vast: It's that 5 player asymmetrical game where you can be a knight, dragon, thief, goblin tribe, or cave. I've played it a couple times two player and once with 3 players, and it's really hard to say how well it works as a game still. There's so many rules and interactions that it's difficult to even get a sense of what good play looks like. Each role only has about 2 pages of rules to read, yet you need to know what every other players' rules are well, plus what special powers they can get from cards or whatever. My sense is also that with more than two players, it becomes very political as well. Our 3 player game was with the knight, dragon and cave. The knight has to kill the dragon, the dragon has to escape the cave, and the cave has to expand fully and then collapse. Our knight was having a tricky time getting started, while the dragon was jumping ahead. The cave had no real way of affecting the dragon during the expanding half of the game, other than just trying to give good stuff to the knight and hoping she could slow down the dragon. But then the knight hit a lucky streak, and with her extra items was able to steamroll the game. Of course, this was a learning game and maybe not all games are like that, but it didn't seem promising. However, there's a lot to learn in all the combinations of roles, and I do like learning new games, so I will keep playing at least a few more times.

Barony: Sorcery: A slight variation on the base game. There are magic site spaces equal to the number of players, which if you move into, you get 3 VP and 3 mana (minus one mana for each person who was there before you). There are 5 spells in each game (from a pool of 9), which you can cast instead of a normal action. They fall into three categories: knight movement, knight recruitment, and city construction, and you can combine any spells that are in the same category into a single action if you can afford the mana cost for all of them. However, most of the spells are small effects - move one knight two spaces, upgrade a village to a city as normal but gain the resource of the terrain it's on, recruit knights from a stronghold instead of a city. You will also not be casting that many spells - you're gaining maybe 6 or 7 mana, divided by a cost of 1 or 2 per spell.

So really, only a slight change to how you play the game. An average game of Barony lasts around 30-40 turns (I think?), and 3 or 4 of those turns you might think of casting a spell. The availability of spells does slightly affect how you play - we played with a spell that lets you reclaim knights who were removed from the game by the "expedition" action, so I was much less hesitant about using that action early on. We also had one that allows you to move into mountains with enemy villages, and though nobody used that spell, I think we played more defensively around mountains than we otherwise would have. Pretty subtle stuff. I think I would have been ok if the spells were stronger, although who knows if that would warp the game too much. The big disappointments with the expansion were 1. the purple 5th player pieces don't have enough color differentiation between the buildings and the knights, and 2. no other new wooden components. The 3d city meeple is one of the coolest game components I've ever seen, I don't know why they didn't think to add some other cool poo poo like that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Vast: It's that 5 player asymmetrical game where you can be a knight, dragon, thief, goblin tribe, or cave. I've played it a couple times two player and once with 3 players, and it's really hard to say how well it works as a game still. There's so many rules and interactions that it's difficult to even get a sense of what good play looks like. Each role only has about 2 pages of rules to read, yet you need to know what every other players' rules are well, plus what special powers they can get from cards or whatever. My sense is also that with more than two players, it becomes very political as well. Our 3 player game was with the knight, dragon and cave. The knight has to kill the dragon, the dragon has to escape the cave, and the cave has to expand fully and then collapse. Our knight was having a tricky time getting started, while the dragon was jumping ahead. The cave had no real way of affecting the dragon during the expanding half of the game, other than just trying to give good stuff to the knight and hoping she could slow down the dragon. But then the knight hit a lucky streak, and with her extra items was able to steamroll the game. Of course, this was a learning game and maybe not all games are like that, but it didn't seem promising. However, there's a lot to learn in all the combinations of roles, and I do like learning new games, so I will keep playing at least a few more times.

I will say that the core, baseline Vast design is 4 players w/ Knight, Goblins, Cave, and Dragon. Patrick has tried to make it playable at anywhere from 2-5 with any combination of characters, but I think inevitably the quality of the experience is going to vary a bit when you depart from that baseline. possibly a lot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stelas posted:

You can win battles by talking in this game. It's one of the improvements I think makes it a stronger game than core Mage Knight overall but it's a lazy reskinning and there'll probably never be any extra content.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I had{typo} pre-ordered Yamatai from CSI like 10 months ago and completely forgot about it, then it arrived last month and I just got around to playing it... and I really really dislike it. I'm a big Five Tribes fan and like a lot of Bruno Cathala's stuff so I was pretty excited to play it. The art is very nice, pieces are nice, and in theory the game concept is pretty simple and neat... but it just doesn't work.

Initially it seems fine and strategic point salad, but quickly devolves into there's way too much poo poo going on that I feel like I can do about anything but not much matters, and towards the end the board was just littered and basically every island had most combination of ship-colors that it seemed pointless. The player position selection with the Fleet cards is pretty neat by putting the position you'll go next turn if you pick it, but you run through the exact same 1-10 every time and really a lot of the powers are just boring that I stopped bothering using most of them because ah gently caress it. Similarly, a lot of the God powers were just really weak (I think there's way too much emphasis on Yellow ships being super important but they aren't) except a few like Double Value of VP Tokens and pickup extra elements.

I'm sure if everyone falls into the AP abyss for the pretty high AP potential of this game and spending 5+ minutes per turn then there's more mid-late game strategy than it seems but honestly the game is really too loving long for it's own good too when there's just not much really impactful decisions to end up making.

Might be one of the few board games I just sell or give away at some point. Along with Temporum which was a big disapointment too.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 18, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Agree 100% on Yamatai, a big disappointment.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finally got the expansion decks to Tyrants of the Underdark in the mail. Say what you will about the base game, but I have a bone to pick with the quality of the expansion. The new cards are of different make. They are thicker and are glossed rather than matte. This deepens their color as well. This makes them completely impossible to integrate with the base cards, a serious crime for a deck builder. I don't think even sleeves could help here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xaris posted:

So I hate pre-ordered Yamatai

Thanks for the review. It's what I feared. I knew it was going to be some sort of point salad but was hoping it wasn't that much. I really love the art and had enough games to play that I was waiting for black friday sales this year to get it. Glad I did.