Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Of all the things to be mad at Pence about I don't think that's really one of them.

I think it says a lot about the man that he either sees that sign and thinks it doesn't apply for him, or that he just plain doesn't care to read it before pawing the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/RcLZfrs.mp4

There's a bubble on my tire, i should poke it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey it got rid of the bubble.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

I think it says a lot about the man that he either sees that sign and thinks it doesn't apply for him, or that he just plain doesn't care to read it before pawing the part.

Pence said it's because Rubio dared him to do it. :lol:

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

sneakyfrog posted:

is this a benign question or haw haw haw im building a tesla suit question?

I have always loved this one myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957

Mostly benign, I suppose. Idle curiosity and if it helps me in the factory, then I'd apply the knowledge there. I'm not looking to become a mad scientist or anything.

Thank you for the link, though. Much appreciation.

Powershift posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RcLZfrs.mp4

There's a bubble on my tire, i should poke it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey it got rid of the bubble.

...he almost blew himself out of his shoes in the process.

On another note; My boss(a rather screechy, busy-body of a woman) was demanding to know what medications I take. She'd also asked a few other employees about their medications. I had colon cancer some years ago and I only take things related to GI stuff(bentyl, etc) but I felt rather miffed. I told her that her question was against HIPPA policy. Then she cited that OSHA needs to ensure their metalworkers don't have anything in their system that would hinder safety. I still put my foot down on not blabbing on about my medicine but it did spark a little ethics debate in my brain; Where do we draw the line between medical privacy and OSHA?

EDIT: Adding the notation of non-narcotic medications in this case. Or anything else that would blatantly cause someone to be blitzed. What I'd been thinking over is, say... someone on Hepatitis C medication. Announcing that you take something like Interferon would admit to having the disease. The cause and effect is your employer firing you(but they wouldn't cite the medical problem as a reason of firing in a right to work state) due to their own safety concerns. --Hypothetically, of course! I could just be over thinking the debate in my head.

Papa Emeritus III fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 18, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Where do we draw the line between medical privacy and OSHA?
If your doctor says "taking this could make you a bit loopy" then it's a safety concern and OSHA > HIPPA. Else, gently caress off I what I take to live and all you need to know is if I need an extra couple minutes after lunch (or whenever) to take them.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
My boss' boss always shows up drunk on the weekends. This just adds to the :psyduck: of her question

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah any Benzos or other sedatives could really cause trouble. On the other hand Benedryl will gently caress you up way worse than Diazepam so it's hard to say where to draw the line without a specific list of medications.

Hell I have severe ADD and taking 20mg or amphetamine or 5mg of methamphetamine will make me fall asleep standing up because of the weird paradoxical reactions involved.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Where do we draw the line between medical privacy and OSHA?

EDIT: Adding the notation of non-narcotic medications in this case. Or anything else that would blatantly cause someone to be blitzed. What I'd been thinking over is, say... someone on Hepatitis C medication. Announcing that you take something like Interferon would admit to having the disease. The cause and effect is your employer firing you(but they wouldn't cite the medical problem as a reason of firing in a right to work state) due to their own safety concerns. --Hypothetically, of course! I could just be over thinking the debate in my head.
The way it's handled here (Austria): The company has a practicioner of occupational medicine go through your medications with you. He'll tell your boss if there are some types of work you can't do for safety or health reasons and is bound by privacy laws to keep everything else to himself.
It's probably not as if your boss is a medical expert anyway.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah like I'm sure 99% of people wouldn't know that putting someone on Seroquel on a forklift isn't a good idea because it's not a common sedative despite being incredibly widely prescribed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

On another note; My boss(a rather screechy, busy-body of a woman) was demanding to know what medications I take. She'd also asked a few other employees about their medications. I had colon cancer some years ago and I only take things related to GI stuff(bentyl, etc) but I felt rather miffed. I told her that her question was against HIPPA policy.

No, it's not. HIPAA is a set of regulations binding on companies who handle health care records. Like medical insurance companies, health care providers, health care billing systems, and so forth. It doesn't prevent random people from asking you questions about your medical history, and doesn't prevent you from answering them. HIPAA tasks certain people in certain industries with protecting personally identifiable health information; it is not a set of blanket rules that applies to every single person. If you don't want to answer her question, then "That's none of your business" is a good answer. HIPAA has nothing to do with it.

The ADA probably does, however.

quote:

Then she cited that OSHA needs to ensure their metalworkers don't have anything in their system that would hinder safety.

If that's what it's about, then they're sure as hell not going to rely on the say-so of those metalworkers. They'd drug-test.

quote:

I still put my foot down on not blabbing on about my medicine but it did spark a little ethics debate in my brain; Where do we draw the line between medical privacy and OSHA?

The two things don't have anything to do with each other. She's making stuff up. OSHA doesn't mandate that employees disclose their prescribed medications to employers. The ADA likely prohibits her question in the first place, unless your position affects public safety and the drugs she's asking about affect your ability to properly perform your job functions. She can't just ask "What prescription medications are you on? If you are in a position affecting public safety, then she can ask "Are you taking any prescription opiates?" Or tranquilizers, or other things that could lead to you dropping a welding torch off a building or a bridge onto passersby.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 18, 2017

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Default Settings posted:

It's probably not as if your boss is a medical expert anyway.

To cover my rear end, I did go to the safety manager(the guy who watched that forklift driver Klaus video with me) and asked him about the policies and I also told him, in private, what I take. He just rolled his eyes and said I was fine and that my boss is just neurotic. The fact I'd discussed things with him bit me in the rear end, however. She got all defensive and sent me home early today.

I haven't had a day off since July 3rd, so its cool.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Your boss sounds like an rear end in a top hat and an idiot.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wouldn't they only drug-test for "street drugs"? You have to know what you're looking for first and test for that, you can't just do a piss test and "test" it for every drug out there that could possibly affect your ability to do the job right.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Most standard drug tests will detect stims, benzos and opioids anyway because tons of people abuse prescription meds.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Phanatic posted:

No, it's not. HIPAA is a set of regulations binding on companies who handle health care records. Like medical insurance companies, health care providers, health care billing systems, and so forth. It doesn't prevent random people from asking you questions about your medical history, and doesn't prevent you from answering them. HIPAA tasks certain people in certain industries with protecting personally identifiable health information; it is not a set of blanket rules that applies to every single person. If you don't want to answer her question, then "That's none of your business" is a good answer. HIPAA has nothing to do with it.

The ADA probably does, however.

If that's what it's about, then they're sure as hell not going to rely on the say-so of those metalworkers. They'd drug-test.

The two things don't have anything to do with each other. She's making stuff up. OSHA doesn't mandate that employees disclose their prescribed medications to employers. The ADA likely prohibits her question in the first place, unless your position affects public safety and the drugs she's asking about affect your ability to properly perform your job functions. She can't just ask "What prescription medications are you on? If you are in a position affecting public safety, then she can ask "Are you taking any prescription opiates?" Or tranquilizers, or other things that could lead to you dropping a welding torch off a building or a bridge onto passersby.

Everything about this post was very informative. Thank you!

For what it's worth; I take my monthly drug tests there with no issue. I tend to do a menagerie of jobs for this factory. On one day, I'll be a machinist/metalworker, on another I'm an auditor, and on other I poke the robots to make sure they operate correctly. I'm in the division of quality control, which is a skeleton crew at best. We tend to be the most hated division in the factory due to the fact we can shut machines down, which hurts the quota of machinists, so we have to behave with this whole.... "BE A ROLE MODEL" type of character. I'm assuming my boss just had best intentions in mind but was crossing the line with me.

Oh, and thanks for explaining the difference between HIPPA and ADA. It's all going into my breadbasket now.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Your boss sounds like an rear end in a top hat and an idiot.

Indeed. Sad to say, I'm used to it.

When I work around fellow females(especially bosses), they immediately kick on this alpha behavior crap that doesn't work or intimidate me. I'd been in the Army as a parachute rigger for ten years; One of like 4 women in our platoon. My personality is very passive but my work history instantly gets a competitive rise out of others. I have no idea why.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wouldn't they only drug-test for "street drugs"? You have to know what you're looking for first and test for that, you can't just do a piss test and "test" it for every drug out there that could possibly affect your ability to do the job right.

When I was on probation, the tests I took were for everything from benzos, to meth, to K2(spice), and all opiates. However, I'm sure that's a different spectrum of normal protocol for a factory drug test.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Most standard drug tests will detect stims, benzos and opioids anyway because tons of people abuse prescription meds.

I was in the process of trying to score a new contract (I'm self-employed IT), and had to have some cardiac surgery performed (I was in the step-down ICU when I was doing phone interviews). The new client, being a government contractor, insisted on a background check, and drug test. I said fine, but "you will most definitely find opioids due to the surgery", as, at the time, I was on a fentanyl push, hydrocodone, and tramadol. Took the test, and not a word was said. Been working the contract now for six weeks. Of course, I haven't had any of the "good stuff" for six weeks either.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

When I was on probation, the tests I took were for everything from benzos, to meth, to K2(spice), and all opiates. However, I'm sure that's a different spectrum of normal protocol for a factory drug test.

Pretty cruel they expect you to somehow work on those big crawlers and not have any spice in your system, the worms make a hell of a mess.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
Maybe I should just show up hammered, like everyone else does.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This must have been metal irrigation pipe, I assume?

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

scrubs season six posted:

Not necessarily. Isn't just about anything (except rubber) conductive at high voltages?

disclaimer: I am not an electrical engineer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

schmuckfeatures posted:

Not necessarily. Isn't just about anything (except rubber) conductive at high voltages?

Irrigation pipe is generally polyethylene which has exceptionally good resistivity, on the order of 1016 ohms/cm. Even if it was PVC, you're still talking 1014 ohms/cm

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

schmuckfeatures posted:

Everything including rubber conducts at a high enough voltage

Hell some current will flow through anything even at low voltages and this leakage current can be high enough to be a problem in some applications

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

Irrigation pipe is generally polyethylene which has exceptionally good resistivity, on the order of 1016 ohms/cm. Even if it was PVC, you're still talking 1014 ohms/cm

There'll be an MSHA fatalgram shortly, so I guess we'll find out.

Overhead power lines are a mother. People always forget to look up. Last place I worked a guy was carrying a bunch of strapped poo poo with a zoom boom and the straps were way longer than they needed to be so the boom was way higher than usual and he plowed straight into some overhead lines. No injuries, luckily. He snapped one of the power poles though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/peterwsi...er%3D334%23pti5

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I could watch this all day

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The absolute best will be if this impromptu memorial shrine somehow causes the charging pad to short out and sets the place on fire one night.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wrong thread, friend.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Indeed. Sad to say, I'm used to it.

When I work around fellow females(especially bosses), they immediately kick on this alpha behavior crap that doesn't work or intimidate me. I'd been in the Army as a parachute rigger for ten years; One of like 4 women in our platoon. My personality is very passive but my work history instantly gets a competitive rise out of others. I have no idea why.

The most common is the 5 panel: amphetamines, cocaine, weed, opiates, and PCP. It's a stupidly simple screen followed by gas chromatography. The operations insurance benefits for any company in an injury possible situation will more than pay for the screening. And straight up required for DOT regulated jobs.

The 9 panel is generally too pricey for most recurring testing circumstances and is usually a mandate by some stick up their rear end suit. Or reserved for post accident tests. The screener is slightly more complicated but positives still go for a GC follow-up.

They can go really into the deep end and GC everything all the time and get a snapshot of every sort of metabolite but it's just really dumb for the value of the result.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

This is perfect

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/nW6HdZV.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I wonder if including a drug screening report for a job interview is common?

"Here's my C.V. / Resume, plus my current in-date First Aid certificate, my up to date certificate proof of non contagious diseases, and a 10 panel blood test report."

revolther
May 27, 2008
They would just make you still take a drug test through their own contracted company. Unless the business has a relationship with the testing company, it's just a note from mommy that says, "Ak Gara is a nice boy please excuse him from drug testing"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jesus loving Christ.... *sees video of Minigun killing Mexican cartel boss* Jesus loving christ

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

scrubs season six posted:

Probably aluminum pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Booley posted:

If you plug it in to the hot side first, you're suddenly waving large exposed energized contacts around. It's a good way to get shocked.

TTerrible posted:

I can't believe "don't have protruding energised conductors" is such a weird thing for people.

Can confirm. Literally have been shocked by the live end of a male-male 120v connector. My grandparent's, and later parent's, Airstream trailer used a male-male connector for "shore power." I hooked it up in the wrong order once or twice. "Protruding energised conductors" + "entire RV is a bare aluminum conductor."

An old old old old long single-axle trailer like this that you can't safely tow above 45mph:

Volcott posted:

[muffled 'Shake Hands with Danger' sting in the distance]

I've thought about posting the remix a few times, but I think this is the first time I've followed through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfIJtR6R1jY

It's a video the thread is familiar with but remixed by some student Three-Finger Joe for a school project a decade ago, so...

Memento posted:

'round here it's 10" to 3 feet in diameter metal pipe before they switch to precast concrete for wider stuff. Never seen polyethylene culverts. My "hip" new apartments owners are using metal culverts as flower planters.

Not going to go downstairs for a picture but, this stuff:

Straight fresh from a saw cut. No deburring. If one of the 'tarded kids that plays down there falls into it he'll need stitches because of the gnarly sharp burrs. Taking the dog out and keeping her from slicing the leash is a loving exercise.