Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've set a cutoff point in BTC/day for myself and it looks like I'll reach it in about two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

1gnoirents posted:

So the intelligent thing would be to cut and run. There is no way around it. But I dont want to... im sitting here doing math months out in advance speculating at $2 a day, $1.50 a day, $1.00 a day, how long would it be before I make enough money to justify not selling today (its a lot of days). But I think I'm gonna do just that. I'm a slave to this now. Tell my family I gave it my best try but I have succumbed to the buttcoin

Sever, sell your card now before the entire butt-economy collapses.

Come August 1st, this thread will be solely devoted to reposting r.buttminer sob stories.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

Jesus it just happened to me. I was sitting here pondering what to do about my mining pc. Outside of the GPU, its paid itself off already. The 1080 in it was a used card I had in my main PC which cost me exactly $400.

Now, resale of that today would let me break even on that card + maybe $50 or so all said and done. Considering I used it for 5 months, thats a big win overall, and the plan always ways to get a 1080ti and sell off the 1080 anyway and this would put me firmly on top of everything. Mining is "crashing" relative to the craze it was and I don't see it returning to that which would affect near term resale prices probably, but my biggest concern are the Volta rumors in September. Even discounting any kind of over supplied used market thats going to rear end blast its value.

So the intelligent thing would be to cut and run. There is no way around it. But I dont want to... im sitting here doing math months out in advance speculating at $2 a day, $1.50 a day, $1.00 a day, how long would it be before I make enough money to justify not selling today (its a lot of days). But I think I'm gonna do just that. I'm a slave to this now. Tell my family I gave it my best try but I have succumbed to the buttcoin

Sell and rebuy after it gets priced down by volta/miners. Profit now immediately, rebuy and pocket another $100-150 :getin:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Come August 1st, this thread will be solely devoted to reposting r.buttminer sob stories.

Ok but hear me out...

I sell the 1080. And then buy a 580!

No no no see look ... the value of the 580 will probably lose less money over the same timespan im looking at even despite a used market crash ...

so i should buy 8 of them

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

1gnoirents posted:

Jesus it just happened to me. I was sitting here pondering what to do about my mining pc. Outside of the GPU, its paid itself off already. The 1080 in it was a used card I had in my main PC which cost me exactly $400.

Now, resale of that today would let me break even on that card + maybe $50 or so all said and done. Considering I used it for 5 months, thats a big win overall, and the plan always ways to get a 1080ti and sell off the 1080 anyway and this would put me firmly on top of everything. Mining is "crashing" relative to the craze it was and I don't see it returning to that which would affect near term resale prices probably, but my biggest concern are the Volta rumors in September. Even discounting any kind of over supplied used market thats going to rear end blast its value.

Do you use that card for literally anything other than creating money? If so, create the money now. Also add in your power costs and chart out what happens if your mining rate tanks that hard.

Losing money is on the table if you don't cash out.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
if i could live the next like 5 years without having to deal with gpu resale again that'd be ideal

like yeah flipping cards to miners bought me a 1080 ti but honestly gently caress eBay selling

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Has anyone had any luck selling cards through Amazon? I've done that for other products without issue, but wondering if there's anything I should know before listing it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Glad I sold my 390 when Paul recommended it. Looking at used prices now nobody's buying the few listings I can find, and the ones that are are selling for prices around $150 less than last month.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Nybble posted:

Has anyone had any luck selling cards through Amazon? I've done that for other products without issue, but wondering if there's anything I should know before listing it.

Amazon is clamping down on that bigtime with what appears to be pressure from manufacturers to stop 3rd party sales. I can only assume this is because of a high volume of complaints and bullshit scams. But if you've already got a seller account on Amazon, I'd definitely try the Amazon route. Just undercut the lowest price and watch it sell in an hour. If the manufacturer doesn't want you to sell you will be told upfront you need a letter of distribution from the manufacturer

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You guys could make more money with less effort by going to local fountains and stealing coins, or mowing your neighbor's lawn(you may even get a bonus glass of lemonade).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Peachfart posted:

mowing your neighbor's lawn(you may even get a bonus glass of lemonade).

Look buddy, do I look like someone who wants to get brain damage from heatstroke

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I literally did the lawn mowing thing. It was mostly to help out the old lady on my street but she insists on paying me. Still, I'm up $20 a week from lawn mowing and the $12 worth of buttcoins I mined is now worth $10 because it's dropping in value and I haven't bothered to figure out how to spend it yet.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Peachfart posted:

You guys could make more money with less effort by going to local fountains and stealing coins, or mowing your neighbor's lawn(you may even get a bonus glass of lemonade).

So do you show your QR code before or after you mow their lawn? How many verifications should I wait for before starting the job :confused:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The window to sell your cards is closing almost immediately if not already closed. 480/580 prices are down 25% from peak bubble prices on eBay. I guess it'll be even lower in another month, but now that prices are plummeting you are at higher risk of buyers backing out of sales or refusing delivery when they see that prices have dropped $100 between when they ordered and when it arrived.

eBay BIN and Craigslist are going to be tougher to sell at, and Auction format is going to push your sale date even farther into the crash zone.

RX 470/480/570/580 cards and "oddball" cards like Fury and 390 are going to collapse sooner and harder than 1060s and particularly 1070s. Might still be a little bit of a window left on 1070s but not much. Party's over.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Risky Bisquick posted:

So do you show your QR code before or after you mow their lawn? How many verifications should I wait for before starting the job :confused:

You get paid in funny green paper(fiat unfortunately), but the upside is that this paper can be exchanged for all sorts of goods, not just research chemicals and assassination contracts.
Though I would make certain to specify if you are mowing both back and front yard, that's where they get you!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can even buy mining equipment. Once you tell people they can waste money on hardware then it'll take off.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
The 40 cents I had left after exchanging most of coins for a $30 amazon gift card two weeks ago is only works 38 cents now.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

craig588 posted:

You can even buy mining equipment. Once you tell people they can waste money on hardware then it'll take off.

I like that it's aggressively angled toward the ground but it needs more RGB.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Shiiiiit is the resale market crashing? I've inherited my deceased step brothers mining poo poo that I was going to test, clean up, and offload.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

If you weren't cashing out immediately and buying crypto burritos, I don't know what to tell you, guys

Prescription Combs posted:

Shiiiiit is the resale market crashing? I've inherited my deceased step brothers mining poo poo that I was going to test, clean up, and offload.

Lol

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can someone please set up a GPU futures market

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We've reached peak buttcoin. :stare:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Do you have access to his wallets?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wait that was a real post?

:(

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Don Lapre posted:

Can someone please set up a GPU futures market

that's like multiple levels of abstraction and speculation on the crypto markets

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Heatstroke is truly a silent killer.

Seriously though, sorry to hear it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Look buddy, do I look like someone who wants to get brain damage from heatstroke

lol mad respect for this reference

:(

In all seriousness all of the difficulty curves are these nice exponentials until like last week when it looked like growth was just barely beginning to slow down. This means mining rewards get smaller every day. Cryptocurrencies have also taken a huge drop in price lately

The resale market hasn't totally crashed yet but you should probably try to sell that mining equipment sooner rather than later, just make sure you get any wallets off first

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 17, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Since nicehash gets hit doubly hard by the market being poo poo (people aren't exactly going to bid high on hashing power if the currency isn't worth poo poo) i've switched to just mining eth/dcr directly on my 1080ti because the eth part alone is as much as nicehash will pay me. I wouldn't mind if eth took a nice upturn in the next few weeks but I'm not exactly banking on it, just mining on my gaming card when I'm working.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Checked the wallet and he cashed it out before the deed. His death was not related to the buttcoin markets directly. Just used it to fund his addiction.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Checked the wallet and he cashed it out before the deed. His death was not related to the buttcoin markets directly. Just used it to fund his addiction.

Jesus, you were serious? Sorry man :(

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Jesus, you were serious? Sorry man :(

Yeah... :(

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

1gnoirents posted:

You'd be crazy to give up these massive $10/month returns. It's free money!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

salt shakeup posted:

It scales UP. Buy ten 1070s NOW.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

salt shakeup posted:

more like $22 after electricity costs you peasant. What do you mean I should factor in the cost of cooling the office I can no longer inhabit because of extreme heat?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

did you remember to factor in the for-sure fact that bitcoin will be worth $100k/coin by December?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So are everyone's shovels worthless now?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
No, no, dig UP, stupid!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CyberPingu posted:

UK Ebay is swamped, but still at way above MSRP. I'd guess those prices will crash soon as nobody will be buying.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Card crash is like 2-4 weeks away, once the miners realize they can't get over MSRP they will be happy to simply be rid of the cards that are already paid for.

I'm still mining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CyberPingu posted:

I have the cheapest 1070 listed in the Twin Cities @ $400 but no buyers. My plan is to sell at $400 and then scoop up a 1080 on the crash but I am starting to lose patience anyway. I have had offers at $380, which is still a nice price, but not really worth it for me.

• Locked thread