Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
On PC I gave myself 999 pepper poppers because the horse sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The run speed is too loving slow. Pepper popper + Coffee should be standard.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's pessimistically accurate as multiplayer is still a ghost concept. I assume they focused on the Switch and other ports first since Stardew's saturation levels on PC have probably leveled out and money is important to everyone but CA.

Multiplayer is coming along, we just haven't talked about it yet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
sounds like you guys aren't chill enough

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm cool with just content updates. Flesh out those nerds!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I like the default run speed

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

How do people get to level 25 on the skull caves? Just bring a shitload of staircases? Seems like cheating to me.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

How do people get to level 25 on the skull caves? Just bring a shitload of staircases? Seems like cheating to me.

i used a lot of bombs. sometimes holes show up that let you skip multiple floors in one go. also stairs, yeah -- i don't see why using a crafting ability given to you is cheating :shobon:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Buy bombs, chug roots platters, coffee, and spicy eel.

Iridium ore shows up around floor 35.

Roots platter is cave carrot + winter root, and winter roots show up in ridiculous abundance if you dig up the beach during winter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is very important to go to the skull cavern only on a max luck day.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The influence of luck

Finally, looking through the specific functions where daily luck is used, I found it actually has very little influence. As you could imagine, the effect is at most ±10% for some cases. Many other cases are even lower. For example, the chance of finding treasure is affected at most ±5%. By comparison, the base rate is 15%, and Magnet bait and Pirate profession each increase the rate by 15%. Luck buffs tend to have an even tinier effect. +3 luck adds only a 1.5% to the fishing treasure rate. It's so small I have some doubt I'm even calculating added luck correctly...but I don't wan't to get too much into the math in this post.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's on a per-instance level, though. The effect adds up noticeably when you're e.g. bombing a big group of rocks and hoping to get a hole. And on a long skull cavern dive you'll encounter noticeably fewer enemies on a max luck day versus a bad or worst luck day.

It's not a gigantic effect but if the question concerns optimizing your skull cavern dive, you'll do significantly better with max luck plus buffs.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014
Also as far as optimization goes, while you're in the animation for eating something a bomb's fuse is still burning. If it goes off while you're still in that animation you don't take damage, so it shaves a little time off of bombing for ladders and holes.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
A small change in staircase frequency makes a large difference in the longest amount of time you have to spend mining/bombing a level.

If 2% of rocks contain staircases, then 13% of the time you can go through 100 rocks without getting a staircase.
(1-0.02)^100 = 0.132

If 2.2% of rocks contain staircases, then 10% of the time you can go through 100 rocks without getting a staircase.
(1-0.022)^100 = 0.108

A 10% difference in luck gives a 22% better experience. This applies any time you are farming for a specific item with a uniform probability distribution. (I have no idea if that is true for staircases or bomb ingredients.)

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 18, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Phssthpok posted:

A small change in staircase frequency makes a large difference in the longest amount of time you have to spend mining/bombing a level.

If 2% of rocks contain staircases, then 13% of the time you can go through 100 rocks without getting a staircase.
(1-0.02)^100 = 0.132

If 2.2% of rocks contain staircases, then 10% of the time you can go through 100 rocks without getting a staircase.
(1-0.022)^100 = 0.108

A 10% difference in luck gives a 22% better experience. This applies any time you are farming for a specific item with a uniform probability distribution. (I have no idea if that is true for staircases or bomb ingredients.)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I got to level 25 by bringing bombs and a stack of rock, crafting staircases every time I didn't get stairs or a hole in the first bunch of rocks for each level. Non-stacking stairs are a pain to cart around on their own.

There's also a mod which puts an elevator in the skull caves. Install it after you've won Qi's level 25 challenge if you feel the need to earn it (I didn't install any QOL mods until I lit all 4 shrine candles and finished the Community Center bundles on my first playthrough).

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Phssthpok posted:

(1-0.02)^100 = 0.132

(1-0.022)^100 = 0.108

If it helps, the staircase rate depends on how many rocks are left on that floor.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nova Odin posted:

Also as far as optimization goes, while you're in the animation for eating something a bomb's fuse is still burning. If it goes off while you're still in that animation you don't take damage, so it shaves a little time off of bombing for ladders and holes.

Invulnerability frames and nerds who sperg over that in my farm simulator why I never

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I thought this game was supposed to be relaxing.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

basalt posted:

Nerds will find a way to make anything stressful and complicated.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
min-maxing is relaxing :colbert:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lmao if you don't get sweaty thinking about all those unused hectares, fuckin' casual

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I haven't played this game in a while, but I still listen to the soundtrack every couple of weeks. I was listening to Aaron Copland recently and it just made me want to go back to It's A Big World Outside.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

basalt posted:

You'll never become Joja Member of the Month with that attitude.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014
This is what rubs off on you when you watch GDQ for a week. Honestly though seeing how deep I can get in Skull Cavern in a day is the only interesting thing to me in winter.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Nova Odin posted:

This is what rubs off on you when you watch GDQ for a week. Honestly though seeing how deep I can get in Skull Cavern in a day is the only interesting thing to me in winter.

I held the world record for getting to L50 of the mines for a little bit :shobon:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hello thread, back again at this. what are the goon-endorsed mods?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tollymain posted:

the one where everyone has a wanking schedule

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

funmanguy posted:

I haven't played this game in a while, but I still listen to the soundtrack every couple of weeks. I was listening to Aaron Copland recently and it just made me want to go back to It's A Big World Outside.

I set my morning alarm to the overworld music. I change it every month to fit the season. It's a very chill way to wake up in the morning.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tenebrais posted:

I set my morning alarm to the overworld music. I change it every month to fit the season. It's a very chill way to wake up in the morning.

I'm doing this immediately, thank you

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

:swoon:Oh my days this is a great idea!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tenebrais posted:

If i did that I'd just be lying in bed listening to the music until I fell asleep again.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I hate you because this is brilliant and I should have come up with it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am stealing the gently caress out of that idea.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mfcrocker posted:

the one where everyone has a wanking schedule

unexpected, but ill take your word for it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Until you get married you should only have access to bachelor meals like noodles and microwaved potatoes.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

The one that turns brown cows into Highland cows.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

dovetaile posted:

The one that turns brown cows into Highland cows.

There is one that turns your horse into Kate Beaton's fat pony and it's one of the only mods I've ever wanted.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The one that turns everyone into Clint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Until you get married you should only have access to bachelor meals like noodles and microwaved potatoes.

Make your cooking skill influence your relationship scenes! Having a lot of unlocked recipes inverts the scene where someone cooks you dinner or something.

Maybe it makes it easier to woo some and harder for others (they just want to eat ramen with you).