Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like how the villains seem p threatening despite losing all the time so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Symphgear G: Take Hibiki's arm? She'll take your heart. :black101:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
whats up with the best girl poll without the best girl on it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like how the villains seem p threatening despite losing all the time so far.

It helps that not a single one of the alchemists have gone into battle mode yet, and only whatever summoned minions they've made have actually been defeated. A real fight hasn't really gone down so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, they're just running some casual weapons testing on our heroes, and they've already had to bust out their ultimate super-mode.

Almost killing Maria with crappy, expendable Noise through nothing but careful timing is nothing to sneeze at either

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If you look at the OP the alchemists haven't really suited up yet. That or they're getting a mid-season upgrade.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gosh it really has been too long since last season. I forgot about the Ignite Module. Sorry, cool robot voice that heralds an rear end-kicking. But also, wow, this show has had four seasons. That's a lot.

Trinity Resonance made me laugh far too much. What a brilliant attack. Punched in the face and then blown up by a combination sword-rocket. I hope Kirika and co. get their own once the Linker situation is sorted. Also Kirika needs to get fighting again because her spiky attack names rule.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

commie is good because they tl'd the snake joke in the second ep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

whats up with the best girl poll without the best girl on it
youre right, i should have put yumi on it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

youre right, i should have put yumi on it

I'd probably still vote for Hibiki but it'd be a tough choice.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its cool that they literally transform into a sr71 blackbird

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

commie is good because they tl'd the snake joke in the second ep

What was the snake joke?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

What was the snake joke?

'We can't snake this guy!'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of giant magical snakes, reckon this will be the season where Tsubasa upgrades from the Ame-no-Habakiri to the Ame-no-Murakumo? Seems as good a time as any.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Upgrading gears like that has never been a thing. Maria switched, but that was more about being true to herself rather than a straight upgrade.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Maria didn't even really attune to Gungnir, she made it work on a temporary basis by shooting herself up with Ver's linker repeatedly and then the moment she had her major clash with Hibiki the relic went "welp, I'm out, that's my real attuned". Airgetlam isn't truly her gear either, but the real attuned for it is dead.

The FIS girls are still basically just borrowing their gears at the moment, which is why they're dependent on drugs to even activate them. I'm wondering/hoping if that little flash of light when Maria was fighting the Illuminati meant that she and/or the others are going to attune for real through sheer usage/determination.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Upgrading gears like that has never been a thing. Maria switched, but that was more about being true to herself rather than a straight upgrade.

I know, but it might be. They go for a different method of boosting the cast's power every season, after all, so simply swapping out the Gears for next-gen versions with new names seems like a plausible option. For instance, I suppose Hibiki might get Gram/Balmung/Nothung, the sword of the guy who snapped Gungnir in half. Not sure what Chris's upgrade might be, though - Ichaival was another of Odin's weapons, but doesn't have an obvious replacement like Ame-no-Habakiri and Gungnir. Norse mythology was relatively short on badass magical bows.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 19, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They might get the cast newer weapons, but I don't think Hibiki's would change. Gungnir is incredibly important to her because Kanade, and she barely even uses the actual weapon anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It would feel really weird for the gear users to replace their gears because as Endorph mentions there's a LOT of emotional attachment to a couple of them. Gungnir is hugely emotionally important to Hibiki and Airgetlam is hugely emotionally important to Maria. I also don't see Tsubasa being eager to replace the gear that metaphorically and literally gave her her wings to overcome being a sword, and Ichiaval is directly related to how Chris met and became friends with everyone. The gears are less a weapon that each user picks up and more of an integral part of their identity.

They're pushing the linker subplot really hard and Elfnein seemed to get some sort of spark of inspiration when Maria had her little glowing moment, so I would bet on any power up being related to that.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 19, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I know, but it might be. They go for a different method of boosting the cast's power every season, after all, so simply swapping out the Gears for next-gen versions with new names seems like a plausible option. For instance, I suppose Hibiki might get Gram/Balmung/Nothung, the sword of the guy who snapped Gungnir in half. Not sure what Chris's upgrade might be, though - Ichaival was another of Odin's weapons, but doesn't have an obvious replacement like Ame-no-Habakiri and Gungnir. Norse mythology was relatively short on badass magical bows.

They didn't get a boost in G did they? Only in GX did they get a permanent upgrade and it was just a super mode. Not a permanent change to the gear.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They didn't get a boost in G did they? Only in GX did they get a permanent upgrade and it was just a super mode. Not a permanent change to the gear.

They had the insanely powerful combination attack where they all used their superb songs and used Hibiki's hosed up gear hybrid body to channel the backlash in a constructive manner, but they lost access to it as Hibiki's health problems worsened and then she was cured.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Technically their gears also evolved between S1 and G, hence the changes in costume and the new attacks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

They had the insanely powerful combination attack where they all used their superb songs and used Hibiki's hosed up gear hybrid body to channel the backlash in a constructive manner, but they lost access to it as Hibiki's health problems worsened and then she was cured.

Well that's just a combined attack right? It's not like their gear got an upgrade to allow that they just combined 3 climax songs together using the power of holding hands. I don't know if i'd call that an upgrade since it was more the teamwork of the people involved rather than the improvement of the gears themselves.

E

Endorph posted:

Technically their gears also evolved between S1 and G, hence the changes in costume and the new attacks.

I always just assumed that was just like art improvement and the girls learning new moves, but I guess that's not the case. They get new attacks all the time though, just this last episode had an incredibly great one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well that's just a combined attack right? It's not like their gear got an upgrade to allow that they just combined 3 climax songs together using the power of holding hands. I don't know if i'd call that an upgrade since it was more the teamwork of the people involved rather than the improvement of the gears themselves.

The tri burst was a much bigger deal than the normal "let's whip a combo out of our butts" because superb songs were explicitly meant to be a no bueno inaccessible suicide move that have either killed or nearly killed everyone who ever tried to use one before the tri burst came into play. It also let Hibiki literally nullify other gear users because she could null their superb songs entirely.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
WRT costume changes IIRC it's related to like how many system locks the users overcome, or something to that effect, and I guess that's shown via the passage of time. I think one of the interviews was remarking on how the gear appearances hadn't changed too much since GX, and I believe it was explained as "it hasn't been that long since GX"; so my assumption there is that they hadn't done enough training to unlock a significant amount in their systems, which would have manifested in more noticeable changes.

Now that I think about this - I wonder how much training/unlocking is necessary to gain a new song. Granted, that's kind of season-controlled, but then you have stuff like Hibiki pulling out Little Miracle -Grip it Tight- at the end of GX versus Genkai Toppa G-Beat. Tsubasa had one of the more obvious instances in G with her purposefully damping herself, at which point she pulled out Zettou Ame no Habakiri instead of Gekkou no Tsurugi. And then I guess G-GX technically, Maria had no opportunity to advance further with Gungnir, so she kept Ressou Gungnir (and also on a meta level, I guess they didn't want to make a full-on new song that wasn't the B-side to her activation song).
Hm.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

The tri burst was a much bigger deal than the normal "let's whip a combo out of our butts" because superb songs were explicitly meant to be a no bueno inaccessible suicide move that have either killed or nearly killed everyone who ever tried to use one before the tri burst came into play. It also let Hibiki literally nullify other gear users because she could null their superb songs entirely.

I just meant like they didn't need to mess with or improve the gears (not like they could really since their main gear scientist was a traitor and also dead) to make them do that. It was something they always had the power to do (thanks to Hibiki being part-Gungir) so they just needed to learn to tap into that, which they did between seasons.

E: ^I always assumed new songs were just gotten from character development and the gear responds to that. Like Hibiki's the character who gets the most song changes and they usually come about after she goes through a period of growth. I guess this doesn't quite explain Tsubasa going back to her old song in G, but it's how I always thought of things.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The songs are an expression of the user's state of mind, not really something that 'upgrades.' There's that gag in the GX OVAs about Maria having some song that sounded very Japanese after going to a festival, and while that's a gag ova, the gag OVAs are canon.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I forgot something neat from this episode, the Antikythera mechanism. I always like it when that thing pops up in something as a plot point.

also give Miku a gear

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

McDragon posted:

also give Miku a gear

I don't think they could give Miku a gear cooler than Shenshoujing, because that gear was rad as hell but it blew up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

I don't think they could give Miku a gear cooler than Shenshoujing, because that gear was rad as hell but it blew up.

I'm honestly pretty meh on Shenshoujing itself. Especially in a non-villainous capacity - I don't think that design would suit a confident and mostly well-adjusted Miku at all. Give her a new gear, IMO.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm honestly pretty meh on Shenshoujing itself. Especially in a non-villainous capacity - I don't think that design would suit a confident and mostly well-adjusted Miku at all. Give her a new gear, IMO.

A ranged, defensive gear with stealth and deployable mirrors that can deflect attacks and shoot noise and other stuff away from her allies from a distance is pretty Miku; I don't see her ever feeling right using something aggressive or melee-oriented because she's supposed to be the grounded, stable rock to Hibiki's fiery impetuousness, and Chris has pretty much every other ranged weapon on lock.

It would need a visual update to not have the mask/monster face, but it's not like we haven't had massive visual redesigns on an existing gear before.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 19, 2017

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Give a gear to the girl who says this is like an anime.

And the definitely-still-alive Dr Ver.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^ - if we're going to start giving gears to boys, Genjuuro has first dibs. This isn't even a question.

Kanos posted:

A ranged, defensive gear with stealth and deployable mirrors that can deflect attacks and shoot noise and other stuff away from her allies from a distance is pretty Miku; I don't see her ever feeling right using something aggressive or melee-oriented because she's supposed to be the grounded, stable rock to Hibiki's fiery impetuousness, and Chris has pretty much every other ranged weapon on lock.

It would need a visual update to not have the mask/monster face, but it's not like we haven't had massive visual redesigns on an existing gear before.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with the fighting style, just the design of the thing. Even aside from the big scary visor and the brain-jack in the back of her head, I'd like her to get something a little sleeker. Her halo was neat, but I didn't really like her big bulky leg armor.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Giving Genjuuro a gear would just let him beat all the villains by himself and end the series.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

McDragon posted:

Oh, I forgot something neat from this episode, the Antikythera mechanism. I always like it when that thing pops up in something as a plot point.

also give Miku a gear

In playing the mobage, I'm certain this actually comes up in the 3.5 story that's supposed to bridge this season and last.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Demicol posted:

Giving Genjuuro a gear would just let him beat all the villains by himself and end the series.

Every single one of his songs would be a cheesy-as-hell 80s power ballad. It would be too powerful.

Dzhay posted:

Give a gear to the girl who says this is like an anime.

And the definitely-still-alive Dr Ver.

Now this is cooking with gas. I want Dr. Ver to be alive. It doesn't make any sense and I don't care. Dr. Ver is the hero of our times.

Ed: The return of Dr. Ver was the best part of GX. I literally fistpumped and shouted "yes!"

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 19, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Carol's reaction to him was also perfect.

"He just showed up and won't stop talking."

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 19, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I will also accept him showing up like Dr. Light in hologram-capsule form to give Kirika & Co LINKer.

(Kirika is Megaman X because she is Xtreme)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Can that make Shirabe jiiiiiii-ro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME NOW KIRIKA! YOU MUST BECOME MANKIND'S NEXT LAST ACTION HERO! INSIDE THIS POD IS A LINKER UPGRADE THAT WILL LET YOUR MOUTH OPEN AS WIDE AS MINE"

• Locked thread