Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

I wish Doctor Who had something similar to Star Trek's Memory Alpha/Beta. Everything is all jumbled together and it is a bit annoying trying to figure things out about the show, the wiki is filled with a bunch of comic/audio book stuff.

This does kind of remind me of a running joke from roughly around season 6 where the Doctor would attempt to explain something incredibly complicated to Amy or Rory by saying,"You know how <x>?" and when they replied in the affirmative, he'd come back with,"Well it's nothing like that." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Ah, so his last request has been granted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ephemeron posted:

Ah, so his last request has been granted.

Idea adapted from an Ace scene from an unpublished 7th Doctor wilderness years story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's only taken 10 years but the spin-off we all expected that never came back then is happening.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yeah, she mentioned this at a convention last year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was kind of hoping the companion for that series would have been Alfred Enoch :3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nice to see she survived crashing into the moon

Will she be meeting Bill, Heather, Clara and Ashildr along the way?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I believe in the freedom on the press, but now I have a belief in tarring, feathering, and the pillory.

I'm just flat out disgusted by that article. How the hell would I explain something like that to my stepdaughter if she asked me about it, beyond "People can be bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling?"

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

CobiWann posted:

I'm just flat out disgusted by that article.

Oh come now, Jenny's not that bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/nick_octopus/status/887022225941032961

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Terrance: So you see, ghost of my friend Robert Holmes who obviously I still have frequent conversations with, it turns out the fact the Doctor is a woman now frightens the absolute poo poo out of some people.
Ghost of Robert Holmes: Terrifies them eh? I give this casting my ghostly approval :getin:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Little disappointed to see that Peter Purves had described the idea of a female Doctor as "horrifying." Steven is one of my favorites and I love his readings with Big Finish. Old dudes are gonna old dude though, I guess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm not really sure what to make of the reactions, it's hard to tell what the actual majority opinion is among all the internet hyperbole. Most of the comments online don't sound like they are from people who actually watch the programme.

I will say that she was great in Broadchurch series 1, and I don't remember her from attack the bloc. And it's a weird, but pleasant feeling, fancying the Doctor.

Maybe that's why Levine is so angry, he's been denied his TARDIS gently caress fantasy now the Doctor is a lady.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

marktheando posted:

I'm not really sure what to make of the reactions, it's hard to tell what the actual majority opinion is among all the internet hyperbole. Most of the comments online don't sound like they are from people who actually watch the programme.

I will say that she was great in Broadchurch series 1, and I don't remember her from attack the bloc. And it's a weird, but pleasant feeling, fancying the Doctor.

Maybe that's why Levine is so angry, he's been denied his TARDIS gently caress fantasy now the Doctor is a lady.

Levine is angry because he gets no say in how Doctor Who is made these days and because people aren't constantly praising him for his contributions to the show. He doesn't really need specific things to get angry, he's just constantly enraged that loving K9 and Company never went to series, that no one wanted his Shada animation, and that no one bought Doctor in Distress. Hopefully he won't watch the show any more and then we'll never hear from him again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

Levine is angry because he gets no say in how Doctor Who is made these days and because people aren't constantly praising him for his contributions to the show. He doesn't really need specific things to get angry, he's just constantly enraged that loving K9 and Company never went to series, that no one wanted his Shada animation, and that no one bought Doctor in Distress. Hopefully he won't watch the show any more and then we'll never hear from him again.

K9 was good comedy relief ~40 years ago and the creator clearly wanted his toy robot dog to be taken seriously and become a show frontrunner. Yeah.

Anyway bitterness ensued.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I was at Raleigh Supercon at a panel with Alex Kingston right as it was announced and she seemed super jazzed about having a female doctor so that was fun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I believe in the freedom on the press, but now I have a belief in tarring, feathering, and the pillory.

I'm just flat out disgusted by that article. How the hell would I explain something like that to my stepdaughter if she asked me about it, beyond "People can be bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling?"

We all have to learn about Rupert Murdoch/The Daily Mail sooner or later.

But yeah, it's thoroughly gross. Not that it is (or should be) the least bit scandalous that a professional actress has done a nude scene or three (though there are probably conversations to be had, probably not here, about how pretty much every woman who pursues a serious acting career more or less has to do one sooner or later) but it's super obvious what the Sun and the Mail were doing, and it's super obvious why.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

n4 posted:

I just rewatched the 11 -> 12 regeneration scene today and Capaldi's crazed stare immediately after regenerating is amazing. I love his expressions

https://youtu.be/4F84WapAH7M

Ha, "Of your kidneys." It's easy to forget how good Jenna Coleman is at deadpan because she's also good at widening her eyes to Sonic The Hedgehog size and you wouldn't think they'd go together. And "do you happen to know how to fly this thing" is a wonderful ending line. Remember when it caused speculation that there'd be a season-long amnesia plot?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I like how this describes Tennant as a 'former Doctor' but Davison is just 'Doctor Who star'.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

marktheando posted:

Most of the comments online don't sound like they are from people who actually watch the programme.

They don't, this has been hinted at for a good five years and anyone who thinks it came out of nowhere and is claiming that they watch the show are either giant liars or thick as pigshit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like Doctor Who nudity in the reboot era is a fairly common media phenomenon. David Tennant wound up with a meme about being hung. Yes, I realize everyone in awe of your dick is a male power fantasy, but it's not like Whittaker was photographed candidly. It was part of a job she signed up for.

*extremely reasonable adult voice, grabbing lapels* "Now I'm no Big Internet Tumblrina like you folks ( ;) ), but it seems to be there might be a perfectly reasonable explanation for why this newspaper immediately leaped to collect the nude scenes of this woman who just took over a popular franchise. Why, just consider this example that even I admit has no bearing, and also, all of these totally, non-sexist motivations for champing at the bit to leer at her nudity with big capital NAKED headlines and lascivious writing, something that surely would have been done for any performer..."

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 18, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Funny, I don't recall seeing Capaldi's naked form splashed all over the tabloids when his casting was announced.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is the Mail Online rather than the Daily Mail newspaper. Don't mistake me; they have the same basic values in terms of their editorial stance (I think Dacre - who to my mind is the real villain more so than Rupert Murdoch; Murdoch owns the paper but that's it; Rupert Murdoch also owns the Times and they remain respectable in the main - has the website as part of his remit as well) except the Mail Online is about a million times trashier.

The Mail Online is the most popular news website in the world, not because it has quality coverage or reporting (it doesn't) or even because people necessarily agree with its spin (it wouldn't be on every screen in my office every time you turn around if it was) but because it has the best celebrity photos. Its go-to caption isn't "BAN THIS SICK FILTH", it's "shows off her toned figure in new bikini shots".

It's what you'd get if the Daily Mail newspaper and the Sun did the fusion dance.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

2house2fly posted:

Ha, "Of your kidneys." It's easy to forget how good Jenna Coleman is at deadpan because she's also good at widening her eyes to Sonic The Hedgehog size and you wouldn't think they'd go together.

See, I thought this was just awful. It seemed to me that Clara should be in the middle of existential despair at the sight of her Doctor turning into someone else in front of her. And instead of being shocked, she makes some weird repetition joke.

Her reactions in Deep Breath were more believable, what with her being really horribly upset that she'd lost her Doctor. But when he regenerates, she's all sarcastic jokey and it felt really out of place. Coming off the back of everything that had gone before in that episode, it was strange.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Plavski posted:

Ages ago. Their selection is pretty limited, but there are some good early ones on there for sure.

If I wanted to give Big Finish a try, what on Spotify would be the best place to start? Or is this as dangerous a question to ask as "Where should I start watching Doctor Who?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is the Mail Online rather than the Daily Mail newspaper. Don't mistake me; they have the same basic values in terms of their editorial stance (I think Dacre - who to my mind is the real villain more so than Rupert Murdoch; Murdoch owns the paper but that's it; Rupert Murdoch also owns the Times and they remain respectable in the main - has the website as part of his remit as well) except the Mail Online is about a million times trashier.

Murdoch absolutely pushes an editorial line. You can have sexist and racist slants to reporting without going to the Sun's level, and that's what the Times has done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I don't read the newspapers myself. I look at the front pages when I walk past the newsagent in the train station every morning which I think tells me most of what I need to know.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 18, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Mail Online is the most popular news website in the world, not because it has quality coverage or reporting (it doesn't) or even because people necessarily agree with its spin (it wouldn't be on every screen in my office every time you turn around if it was) but because it has the best celebrity photos. Its go-to caption isn't "BAN THIS SICK FILTH", it's "shows off her toned figure in new bikini shots".

It's what you'd get if the Daily Mail newspaper and the Sun did the fusion dance.

I think it's difficult to say which of the two is worse. Dacre hates foreigners and black people and so prints what he prints, Murdoch knows that hating foreigners and black people sells papers so that's what he prints. The Times remains respectable because Murdoch wants to be able to have his cake and eat it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

learnincurve posted:

Funny, I don't recall seeing Capaldi's naked form splashed all over the tabloids when his casting was announced.

I wish we had. I have a dad crush on him that's extreme to say the least. As a bisexual guy it's really not new to fancy the Doctor for me now she's a woman.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Murdoch owns the paper but that's it

Oh, is that all

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“learnincurve”" post="“474476835”"]
Funny, I don’t recall seeing Capaldi’s naked form splashed all over the tabloids when his casting was announced.
[/quote]

If only we had been so lucky.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

If I wanted to give Big Finish a try, what on Spotify would be the best place to start? Or is this as dangerous a question to ask as "Where should I start watching Doctor Who?"

They have some of my very favourites on there:

The Wrath of the Iceni - Fourth Doctor
Phantasmagoria, Loup-Garoux, Spare Parts - Fifth Doctor
Jubilee, Davros, The One Doctor, The Holy Terror - Sixth Doctor
The Fires of Vulcan - Seventh Doctor
Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight - Eighth Doctor

Honestly, you can pick any of them. Phantasmagoria is the earliest one, and written by Mark Gatiss. It's Turlough and The Fifth doing oldy-worldy things and it's lovely. To my ears, Deep Breath was based a lot on it. But they're all of really high quality. Just go Storm Warning then Chimes of Midnight when you hit Eight.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough. I don't read the newspapers myself. I look at the front pages when I walk past the newsagent in the train station every morning which I think tells me most of what I need to know.

I'm still surprised anyone buys newspapers in the age of the internet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DancingShade posted:

I'm still surprised anyone buys newspapers in the age of the internet.

It's almost all bad news anyway. "Jodie Whittaker is the new Doctor" was good news, but that kind of thing tends to be the exception.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 18, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

n4 posted:

I just rewatched the 11 -> 12 regeneration scene today and Capaldi's crazed stare immediately after regenerating is amazing. I love his expressions

https://youtu.be/4F84WapAH7M

"I'll always remember when the Doctor was me" is such a perfect line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What specifically caused Twelve to start regenerating? Was it getting shocked by a Cyberman on the rooftop or was it the explosions he caused to stop the rest of the Cybermen or both?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It looked like he'd been trying to hold it off since the rooftop, yeah

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What specifically caused Twelve to start regenerating? Was it getting shocked by a Cyberman on the rooftop or was it the explosions he caused to stop the rest of the Cybermen or both?

He was doing a Luke Skywalker "I'll hold my hand up in the air for no reason and get shot" thing and got blasted by a Cyberman. That pushed him over the edge, but he'd been getting beaten up for a while.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Little disappointed to see that Peter Purves had described the idea of a female Doctor as "horrifying." Steven is one of my favorites and I love his readings with Big Finish. Old dudes are gonna old dude though, I guess.

He says it a lot, and every time there's an excuse (the incumbent Doctor is quitting, the Master is a woman now, etc. etc.) to get him to say it to someone who will publish it, they find him, unfortunately. Davison has gotten a little better about cautiously keeping his mouth shut about it. It'd be interesting to see all the companion & Doctor reactions to the casting choice together. I know Nicola Bryant was really happy about it, Freema Agyeman, Arthur Darvill, Billie Piper, Pearl Mackie, Sylvester McCoy, Alex Kingston and Colin Baker have all been congratulatory and celebrated it a bit. I swear I saw something about Anneke Wills and Janet Fielding as well, but I can't find it now.

e: it looks like Louise Jameson, Janet Fielding and Noel Clarke all tweeted congratulations/excitement as well

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Plavski posted:

They have some of my very favourites on there:

The Wrath of the Iceni - Fourth Doctor
Phantasmagoria, Loup-Garoux, Spare Parts - Fifth Doctor
Jubilee, Davros, The One Doctor, The Holy Terror - Sixth Doctor
The Fires of Vulcan - Seventh Doctor
Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight - Eighth Doctor

Honestly, you can pick any of them. Phantasmagoria is the earliest one, and written by Mark Gatiss. It's Turlough and The Fifth doing oldy-worldy things and it's lovely. To my ears, Deep Breath was based a lot on it. But they're all of really high quality. Just go Storm Warning then Chimes of Midnight when you hit Eight.

Perfect, thanks!

• Locked thread