Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Doesn't matter. It's a combination of both for dGPU or iGPU, I'm afraid.

Use the analog loophole to send to the producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

How much better is 'Alfred' than Spotlight?

It's got some neat features, but the actual search is worse. It doesn't seem to find files that Spotlight can.

It's still fun to enter terminal commands into Alfred.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Alfred is complementary to Spotlight more than a replacement. It can do simple file finds and a whole lot more, but Spotlight is still what you need for deep searching.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I installed Alfred more than a year ago and haven't found myself using it once. There's an initial "neat!" factor that goes away pretty fast.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cbirdsong posted:

Alfred is complementary to Spotlight more than a replacement. It can do simple file finds and a whole lot more, but Spotlight is still what you need for deep searching.

So just like Sherlock and Watson back in the day.

So much promise..

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I use Alfred as a complete Spotlight replacement but I admit I've literally never used Spotlight search, which seems to work very well from what I've seen and heard.

It really comes down to the fact that I know how to develop plugins for Alfred, but I have no clue how to get started with dev on Spotlight, so I've just stuck with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posting from my 'new' mid-2014 rMBP. Just slapped High Sierra beta 3 on it and did a clean install onto a APFS case sensitive volume. Booting from the same volume. No HFS+ in sight. Can't wait to do this with my unsupported Macs. It's a pain with the beta on unsupported hardware so I'm waiting until its out of beta.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
Alfred can be way more powerful than spotlight if you add the right recipes to it. However sometimes just clicking 2 buttons can be way more convinient than typing an command...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

vrklgn posted:

Alfred can be way more powerful than spotlight if you add the right recipes to it. However sometimes just clicking 2 buttons can be way more convinient than typing an command...

So, on a related note, what recipes do people who use Alfred recommend?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

does anyone know why safari will sometimes prevent you installing extensions from .safariextz files unless you turn on full keyboard access and select 'Trust' using the tab key and the spacebar? this is such a bizarre bug
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214760/force-installing-untrusted-safari-extensions

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

does anyone know why safari will sometimes prevent you installing extensions from .safariextz files unless you turn on full keyboard access and select 'Trust' using the tab key and the spacebar? this is such a bizarre bug
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214760/force-installing-untrusted-safari-extensions

If you're installing enough extensions to run across this maybe your extensions are the problem?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

If you're installing enough extensions to run across this maybe your extensions are the problem?

so are you saying it's related to how many extensions you've got installed or are you just being facetious? i just moved all my stuff over to mac, i'm installing and uninstalling a lot of stuff

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess the 'sleep' timer is no longer a thing in 10.13

Not sure how it works but my MBP does sleep and I can't disable it from the energy saver prefs. I normally wouldn't care but I'm doing some battery poo poo.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 19, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Download Amphetamine from the App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/amphetamine/id937984704?mt=12

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having UPS stuff automatically come up in Power when you hook up a unit with no drivers or extra software is super cool. Haven't had the balls to pull the cable yet to see how well it works (if at all) but soon. Maybe.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Having UPS stuff automatically come up in Power when you hook up a unit with no drivers or extra software is super cool. Haven't had the balls to pull the cable yet to see how well it works (if at all) but soon. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4eScf6TMaM

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ah thanks. Still kind of concerning that its taken away. Sometimes you need to keep a low CPU process running.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.12.6 combo:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Man what the gently caress is up with using AirPods on MacOS? They don't work without skipping at all without turning BT off on my 6s+, thus rendering my Watch useless. Any ideas?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the only thing I don't like about BT is it can't read my mind to decide which device I want to use my headphones/speaker with so I'm always having to either disconnect or disable BT on my phone, computer, laptop, or Apple TV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The whole idea of the AirPods though was this seamless experience between apple devices, which i've found to be total bullshit in effect.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's not Apples fault, it's Bluetooths fault. :smuggo:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The whole idea of the AirPods though was this seamless experience between apple devices, which i've found to be total bullshit in effect.

Works on my machines.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

Works on my machines.

Are you getting audio glitching on your MB with an iPhone nearby?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are you getting audio glitching on your MB with an iPhone nearby?

I don't use them much with my MacBook but I can't remember experiencing this when I have used them. I'll try it tonight if I remember.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On a side note I just found out you can output to multiple Bluetooth audio devices at the same time with a Mac. This is great for on a plane when 2 or more people want to watch the same movie without a tangle of headphone wires.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to use ffmpeg to concatenate like 30 mp3s into one mp3. They've all been renamed to file1.mp3, file2 and so on. I used:

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i <(printf "file '$PWD/%s' \b" ./*.mp3) -c copy output.mp3

And it spat out an error about a possible growing file and output.mp3 was just a copy of the first file in the list. What gives?

I ended up just using mp3wrap but I'd really like to get ffmpeg working because then I could adjust the quality at the same time and work with mp4s as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I'm trying to use ffmpeg to concatenate like 30 mp3s into one mp3. They've all been renamed to file1.mp3, file2 and so on. I used:

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i <(printf "file '$PWD/%s' \b" ./*.mp3) -c copy output.mp3

And it spat out an error about a possible growing file and output.mp3 was just a copy of the first file in the list. What gives?

I ended up just using mp3wrap but I'd really like to get ffmpeg working because then I could adjust the quality at the same time and work with mp4s as well.

Is there a reason you're using the backspace escape code in there? (\b)

Wouldn't you want to use \n instead?

Edit: I ended up double checking on the concat page on the ffmpeg site

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

Here is the example they use for the exact thing you're trying to do (except with .wav files). It looks like your \b is cocking things up.

code:
ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i <(printf "file '$PWD/%s'\n" ./*.wav) -c copy output.wav

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 19, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm assuming concatnating MP3s is tricky and they all need to be the same bitrate and sample rate. Did you check if MP3 was even supported for concatnation?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm assuming concatnating MP3s is tricky and they all need to be the same bitrate and sample rate. Did you check if MP3 was even supported for concatnation?

You'd want to normalize them too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think the best thing to do would be to convert them to AIFF, normalize and concatenate, then convert the finished product back to MP3. That way you're working with straight audio streams and not trying to stick 30 different formats of MP3 together.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think the best thing to do would be to convert them to AIFF, normalize and concatenate, then convert the finished product back to MP3. That way you're working with straight audio streams and not trying to stick 30 different formats of MP3 together.

Wouldn't that just cause quality loss? I assume they're trying to concatenate the mp3 files like this in order to avoid that

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Out of curiosity, I saved my System Info report from 10.12.5, then ran the combo update to 10.12.6.

Noticed that the BootROM was updated from MBP111.0138.B25 to MBP111.0138.B40 on my late 2013 rMBP.

I'm sure other machines will have updates to their BootROMs as well..

Apple and their subtle updates.. at least it explains why the update takes so long, it's probably flashing the firmware in the background.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

You'd want to normalize them too

Heh, I figure a guy trying to concatenate mp3s probably doesn't give a gently caress :smugdog:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Out of curiosity, I saved my System Info report from 10.12.5, then ran the combo update to 10.12.6.

Noticed that the BootROM was updated from MBP111.0138.B25 to MBP111.0138.B40 on my late 2013 rMBP.

I'm sure other machines will have updates to their BootROMs as well..

Apple and their subtle updates.. at least it explains why the update takes so long, it's probably flashing the firmware in the background.

I noticed my rMBP 11.1 has a boot rom that's newer than what's on Apple support pages. Maybe because I have High Sierra Beta installed? And it needs some EFI magic to boot from APFS? I read that APFS booting was just boot strapped from a helper partition during the preliminary testing phase. Not sure what's affected if they just go that route for public release as opposed to doing it natively in EFI. Sorry if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The BootROM update may well be a futureproofing for AFPS, but Apple shut up about documenting their firmware updates years ago.

I've noted Apple only ever did a few hidden firmware updates in El Capitan, but it seems like they do it with every new revision in Sierra. I wonder if it's to somehow prevent hackers from doing what they did for the Early 2009 Mac Pros, which was to create BootROM updaters that flashed the Early 2009 machines to Late 2010 MP's, thereby allowing machines that formerly were stuck at El Capitan to have Sierra/High Sierra compatibility.

It pretty much works there as Late 2010s only differ from Early 2009s in CPUs included, logic boards and internal components are nearly identical.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Hackers can get around that by just faking the BootROM version. I have two installs of Sierra, and only the first I updated also updated the firmware. You can tell because it requires two restarts instead of one.

Fortunately, it's not erasing rEFInd every time. It would suck to have to boot into recovery each time I updated to reinstall it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Heh, I figure a guy trying to concatenate mp3s probably doesn't give a gently caress :smugdog:

It's for audiobook chapters so you're right, and I think converting them on both ends would work well because then I can lower the bitrate to save space!

I'll give that a shot and try out the n instead of b option in printf. It's actually my first time using it so I don't really know what I'm doing there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol Adobe.

This doesn't make any sense. Nothing is prohibited in a case sensitive file system if your source files are from a case insensitive file system unless you have lovely code that references files using the wrong case.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

its this