Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/887277967122075648

Hmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

killed ... Kadaffi to stop his currency competeting with the euro and dollar
What's this about the currencies?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

VitalSigns posted:

Approval shoots up over 60% when you call it Medicare-for-all , you probably already know that tho

And in the long run, this is why expanding Medicare is probably the most stable, likely to succeed route for providing Universal Health Care in the United States. Americans, as we can see from both the backlash to the ACA and the backlash to this awful mess, are absolutely allergic to taking away elements of their health care. So instead, expand elements of their health care and give them the option to switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/887279796945797121

We will return!

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Oh, my lord. Electioneering buttons and bumper stickers aren't a deliverable. An ad, maybe, a theme, sure, a platform, definitely, a gotv system, absolutely.

But who the gently caress releases a bumper sticker as a show of work product? Like your lawyer sends you a picture of a judge wearing a silly hat?

Also, that whirlwind sticker - if you're using whirlwind absent immediate context, the most common reaction will be blank, and the second most will be connecting the phrase to the biblical allusion. So what the hell is in that well that they want to go there?

I might actually like a bumper sticker in that vein, like one that just reads, "Reap the whirlwind." Or one that just reads, "You have made covenant with Hell." That's not really a positive message, but at least it has a sliver of thought to it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That is the Trump version of "we shall overcome"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

Yes, which is why the combination of Carter losing, Reagan getting credit for the fall of the Soviet Union (along with his later deification), and Republicans smacking the poo poo out of Democrats in the 1994 midterms were such formative experiences for the current Democratic leadership. They were also well aware that Bill Clinton was only elected in 1992 because Perot was a spoiler for H.W. Bush and because Bush committed the one true Republican sin of raising taxes.

Pelosi, Schumer, Hillary, and company saw the Democratic party of their youth fall apart and become unelectable. For some reason, they can't comprehend that the rules have changed again, and are still acting like it's the mid-90s.

The electorate has changed too. From the 1990s-2000s you could run Democrats could capture that middle class suburban white voter AND the working white class. Minorities were (and still are) taken for granted to vote D.

The game has changed though, white's, especially suburban and those from the work class, are all aboard the MAGA train. There is no more "swing voter". Everyone is in their respective camps, and the way forward is to drive out your base. The GOP has shown this is successful through three successive elections now, and they only lost in 2012 because Mitt Romney was a card-board cutout going against the most charismatic politician of our generation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Randbrick posted:

Oh, my lord. Electioneering buttons and bumper stickers aren't a deliverable. An ad, maybe, a theme, sure, a platform, definitely, a gotv system, absolutely.

But who the gently caress releases a bumper sticker as a show of work product? Like your lawyer sends you a picture of a judge wearing a silly hat?

Also, that whirlwind sticker - if you're using whirlwind absent immediate context, the most common reaction will be blank, and the second most will be connecting the phrase to the biblical allusion. So what the hell is in that well that they want to go there?

I might actually like a bumper sticker in that vein, like one that just reads, "Reap the whirlwind." Or one that just reads, "You have made covenant with Hell." That's not really a positive message, but at least it has a sliver of thought to it.

The "she persisted, we resisted" one is giving me a very rapey vibe. Like I know it's in reference to Warren (I think anyway) but taken out of context, which is exactly how these stickers in random places will be taken, it just screams "come on just the tip" and "no I said no."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Randbrick posted:

They're not all bumper stickers, just the ones with >>s next to them. It's a very poorly designed visual.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The "she persisted, we resisted" one is giving me a very rapey vibe. Like I know it's in reference to Warren (I think anyway) but taken out of context, which is exactly how these stickers in random places will be taken, it just screams "come on just the tip" and "no I said no."

I can kinda see that if it was "she resisted, we persisted". As it is...well, yeah, still pretty loving creepy, I'll give you that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Loyalty is not a positive trait in politics you insufferable jackass!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Randbrick posted:

The people who are actually at the top of the Democratic Party don't have any idea what they're doing and make an awful lot of money keeping it that way.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

There Bias Two posted:

Loyalty is not a positive trait in politics you insufferable jackass!

It is in feudalism

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
What are the chances that the failure of Trumpcare makes congress more likely to turn on Trump regarding Russia?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I kind of want them to do the repeal and 75% of the nation lose insurance and premiums skyrocket 100% to see exactly how fast they can all be replaced.

Republicans blamed Obama for the Katrina response when polled about it in 2010. "Bad thing will actually be a good thing because finally republicans will be held accountable" is a very dangerous game.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus, we have a major victory and we can't go 12 hours without shitheads in this threads reverting to "Democrats don't appeal to me personally, so they can't possibly appeal to anyone". Can you take it to the other thread?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I wonder which nu-metal CD McConnell listened to in his car after this news came out

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I doubt I'm the only person but I'm getting a little sick of those bumper stickers being brought up almost every other day for the past two or three weeks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Jesus, we have a major victory and we can't go 12 hours without shitheads in this threads reverting to "Democrats don't appeal to me personally, so they can't possibly appeal to anyone". Can you take it to the other thread?

The actual elected officials have been doing surprisingly well, I think, but the think tanks and ideas people who drive all of their messaging and money don't have any idea of how to act other than to push their cringingly out-of-touch attempts at memeing while the GOP keeps chewing on itself. That latter group isn't beholden to anyone, and no amount of legislative triage will get them and their toxic influence out of the party.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Gaunab posted:

I doubt I'm the only person but I'm getting a little sick of those bumper stickers being brought up almost every other day for the past two or three weeks.

"The DCCC is selling some lovely bumperstickers, this means the Dems are right-wing traitors who are doomed to lose forever"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly all I want the Democrats to do this year is let the Republicans hang themselves while quietly staffing up for the midterms, which is what they seem to be doing. Push policies closer to when people actually vote.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

What was the victory? I ask that with zero sarcasm.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Insured people get to keep their insurance a little longer.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Avirosb posted:

Insured people get to keep their insurance a little longer.

Also Republican control of both houses and the Presidency has continued to result in no major legislation whatsoever.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Petr posted:

What are the chances that the failure of Trumpcare makes congress more likely to turn on Trump regarding Russia?

I think the failure itself may make it less likely - it's not Trump who was holding their feet for the fire, but their donors and constituents who were expecting them to actually follow through on years of promises. Now they look weak and stuff is, and turning on Trump would only piss their base off more.

What might change that is how Trump reacts to the failure. His most recent tweet seems pretty "eh, whatever, no one really cares", but if he decides later to lash out at the Senate to deflect criticism that he didn't do enough/know enough, then things may get interesting.

And in my fantasy timeline where the country is salvageable, GOP Senators get pissed off over McConnell's secrecy and tactics, especially when they force Senators to make public positions supporting terrible bills that fall apart anyways, and turn to a never-Trumper like Sasse or Flake to lead them and reject Trump.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly all I want the Democrats to do this year is let the Republicans hang themselves while quietly staffing up for the midterms, which is what they seem to be doing. Push policies closer to when people actually vote.

"Let the GOP act dumb while we quietly gather up the Money" has not had a good showing as an electoral strategy.

The party is in paralysis. They need a message and the only ones that would allow them to present themselves as a distinct alternative to the ostensible goals of the Republicans (ostensible, meaning "we're the party of fiscal responsibility," not actual, meaning "we lust for the annihilation of all things") are ones that the Money won't allow them to have.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

TheScott2K posted:

The other big message from the electorate is 'gently caress I'm tired of politics'. Shutting up and not being annoying for a while is not a bad idea.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Trumpcare is dead in the Senate

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The modern GOP exist only to obstruct.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

"Let the GOP act dumb while we quietly gather up the Money" has not had a good showing as an electoral strategy.

It's like I'm the only one who remembers the last time the Republicans had a chance to govern.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, I see the staffing, and they are doing a solid job bringing folks in. It is encouraging.

Still though I'd love to have some democratic party consensus platform to work with and look at and engage with. Need a new shiny.

There's this agonizing void right now where the democratic party long term grownup health care plan should stand as counterpoint and it's driving me antsy.

The past six months have been a horror show of sleepy old profligate trying to talk themselves into murder in the dark reaches of a long night. It has been so loving surreal and meaningless in that threatening way caprice gets when it's well funded. Just be nice to have a countervailing message out there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Son of a bitch. Chelsea Clinton is writing a book called, “She Persisted”. Democrats really want to make this a rallying call.

In other news, another Republican you’d be surprised to discover can probably still beat a Democrat in most of Illinois has been released from prison.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Deified Data posted:

BHCA failed.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Oxxidation posted:

The party is in paralysis.

4D chess mate :chaostrump:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Deified Data posted:

The senate GOP infighting so much over the repeal and replace bill that McConnell had to scrap it entirely and go with what is sure to be an even more disastrous semi-repeal-only bill.

I say "semi" because according to NPR this morning the bill immediately strips the individual mandate but thanks to reconciliation rules cannot completely repeal the preexisting conditions coverage requirements. Despite promises of a 2 year delay the predictions would be for a 25% jump in premiums next year and a 100% increase the year after.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

The senate GOP infighting so much over the repeal and replace bill that McConnell had to scrap it entirely and go with what is sure to be an even more disastrous semi-repeal-only bill.

I say "semi" because according to NPR this morning the bill immediately strips the individual mandate but thanks to reconciliation rules cannot completely repeal the preexisting conditions coverage requirements. Despite promises of a 2 year delay the predictions would be for a 25% jump in premiums next year and a 100% increase the year after.

In addition to the above, scuttlebutt says (with a certain amount of hopeful thinking) that McConnell's not much liked by the GOP Senate - his iron-fisted rule of the legislature is only tolerated because he brings home victories, and these Trumpcare slipups have allegedly started a quiet revolt by some Senators against his leadership.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Son of a bitch. Chelsea Clinton is writing a book called, “She Persisted”. Democrats really want to make this a rallying call.

No one should loving care.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

Hey, remember back in 2009-10, when the GOP's raging obstruction boner was widely mocked and panned as not actually offering voters anything? "Party of No", right? How well did that work out again?

Oops.

Why to people keep showing this map assuming uninhabited national parks voted for a Republican?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

No one should loving care.

And no one would, if the party would present any kind of open, persistent messaging about anything else other than the failure elemental that ran in 2016.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Oxxidation posted:

And no one would, if the party would present any kind of open, persistent messaging about anything else other than the failure elemental that ran in 2016.

The Party is not making Chelsea Clinton write a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Why to people keep showing this map assuming uninhabited national parks voted for a Republican?

Because they were inhabited by a GOP House vote after 2010

• Locked thread