Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

It's weird that Michael Moore made a movie about the state of American healthcare post-repeal vote way back in the early 2000s.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here's what I'm trying to determine-

This 'full repeal and replace' (not really) bill will likely fail. Then what? They try again with an even worse version of AHCA? They are almost out of time so I'm wondering if this is McConnell's last move before he moves on to budget stuff.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Chilichimp posted:

Been tryna get my daughter into Star Wars. She likes princess Leia! I've got this cute Daddy Vader book where Luke and Leia are these two toddler kids getting into shenanigans while their dad tries to rule the universe with an iron fist. She loves it.

Can't get her to bite on the films, though. I'd show her Rogue One if it wasn't... SO loving DARK, JESUS CHRIST WHY IS EVERYTHING SO DARK in TWENTY SEVE... nevermind, I figured it out.

edit:

And I spent an hour the other day letting her mess with my x-wing TMG ships. She seems to dig the ships, which OWNS SO HARD

My daughter watched the original Star Wars but zoned out any time Princess Leia was not on screen, which is unfortunately most of it. Female characters = important.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

evilweasel posted:

you are buying her propaganda instead of looking at her nearly universal support for trump when the chips come down
Word. All the genuine Rockefeller republicans already left the party. We already got the Lincolns Chafee and the Arlens Specter. They were and are better more honest and infinitely more worthwhile than Collins.

Arlen Specter, for all he was, torpedoed the appointment of one Jeff Sessions to the federal bench, because Jeff Sessions is Jeff Sessions, and he had such integrity.

Susan Collins, by contrast, helped put Sessions in charge of the DOJ, because Jeff Sessions is Jeff Sessions.

She is pretending to occupy that political space, but she does not occupy that political space. She is a cardboard cutout.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

People keep saying we've got two hard nos already - but the only one I can find is Collins. Who's the other?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Chilichimp posted:

Been tryna get my daughter into Star Wars. She likes princess Leia! I've got this cute Daddy Vader book where Luke and Leia are these two toddler kids getting into shenanigans while their dad tries to rule the universe with an iron fist. She loves it.

Can't get her to bite on the films, though. I'd show her Rogue One if it wasn't... SO loving DARK, JESUS CHRIST WHY IS EVERYTHING SO DARK in TWENTY SEVE... nevermind, I figured it out.

edit:

And I spent an hour the other day letting her mess with my x-wing TMG ships. She seems to dig the ships, which OWNS SO HARD

Okay I got the solution for you mate. Go to Disney Channel because they're airing an awesome television show called Star Wars Rebels. It's got some weak but its overall pretty good.

You can also check out the forces of Destiny cartoons but those are shorts. All of them star female protagonists.

The entirety of Star Wars the Clone Wars is on Netflix and is also very good and features a female lead protagonist who is a fan favorite, Ashoka Tano. She starts off a little grating but she really grows on you. You going to start the Star Wars Clone Wars movie and then move into the show. You could do the thing in chronological order and the guide for that is on starwars.com.

As a last suggestion either do the original trilogy or the force awakens. They're both great and kids love them. Hell, the prequel trilogy is great by kids movie standards so you can do that too.

You know one more thing actually. The Star Wars comic done by Marvel is pretty good and not too dark. The Darth Vader one's a little darker but should be fine. I'd also suggest a doctor Aphra comic because she's a cool new character and her comic is good. gently caress the haters. She's space Indiana Jones God drat it.

Edit: I just remembered. If you really need a female protagonist there is a Princess Leia comic by Marvel you could check out.

DaveWoo posted:

Dude, chill. Collins and Capito are already hard nos, and it's very difficult to imagine Heller, Murkowski, Moran, and Portman all supporting an even worse version of a bill they either opposed or had serious reservations about.

Two down. We just need one more then I can think we're safe for now.

JuniperCake posted:

It's not about being cowards, they are making a political calculation. For many of the moderates in the senate, their constituents are dependant on the expansion to medicare. The fallout from pissing off all of those voters is worse than anything trump can do them. So they won't do it. The repeal is dead for now.

I hope you're right. But after the Blitzkrieg in the house I haven't been hopeful for this thing to ever die easily.

D-Pad posted:

My friend is telling me that they can only cut funding but not actually repeal the individual mandate or other provisions because it is reconciliation and not a regular bill. Is this true? Everything I am reading says they are now going to go for a full repeal (that doesn't take effect for 2 years)

Which is it? A full repeal of the law in every way, or just a cut to all of its funding that effectively kills it?

It's a Revival of a 2015 reconciliation bill. It's not a full repeal but it's as close as you can get in a reconciliation bill.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 18, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spiritus Nox posted:

People keep saying we've got two hard nos already - but the only one I can find is Collins. Who's the other?

https://twitter.com/SenCapito/status/887319867208204292

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I saw Return of the Jedi recently on a 4K TV and it looked like absolute rear end. This was my story.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Okay I got the solution for you mate. Go to Disney Channel because they're airing an awesome television show called Star Wars Rebels. It's got some weak but its overall pretty good. You can also check out the forces of Destiny cartoons but those are shorts. The entirety of Star Wars the Clone Wars is on Netflix and is also very good and features a female lead protagonist who is a fan favorite, Ashoka Tano. She starts off a little grating but she really grows on you. You going to start the Star Wars Clone Wars movie and then move into the show. You could do the thing in chronological order and the guide for that is on starwars.com. As a last suggestion either do the original trilogy or the force awakens. They're both great and kids love them. Hell, the prequel trilogy is great by kids movie standards so you can do that too.

I couldn't get her to like Ahsoka... maybe Sabine and Hera are the star wars girls of destiny. I'll have to try out Rebels on her this week.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FlamingLiberal posted:

This 'full repeal and replace' (not really) bill will likely fail. Then what? They try again with an even worse version of AHCA? They are almost out of time so I'm wondering if this is McConnell's last move before he moves on to budget stuff.
It's just so he can go back to Daddy Trump and say "Look, I did exactly as you commanded, it was those other guys who voted it down." The other Republican Senators may be getting tired of his poo poo, especially when he's been caught lying to some of them, so he needs Trump to like and defend him as he moves on to other legislation.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because they already voted yes on the 2015 bill. IMO it's Mcconnel trying to offer a sop to Trump who as we know from the House wanted to force a vote to make them say no and swapping your vote on the same bill is the hardest no they could force them to take. Still won't work.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The next things they are trying to do isn't going to be any easier than this if it's taxes, infrastructure or the budget. I think there is a very real chance that we're sitting here in a year in the middle of the midterms and Trump has zero legislative accomplishments.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

True, but to be fair I think like 85 % of entertainment for little girls is princess-related, and it's kinda hard to avoid that. As an adult it makes me mad, but I probably would've been all over it as a little girl

If it has to be Princess themed, I'd recommend Elena of Avalor and Star vs the Forces of Evil, those are pretty good shows imo.
If you want to cast the net wider, definitely check out Steven Universe.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Chilichimp posted:

I couldn't get her to like Ahsoka... maybe Sabine and Hera are the star wars girls of destiny. I'll have to try out Rebels on her this week.

You might have missed it but there's also Princess Leia comic that's pretty good and a doctor Aphra comic that's awesome. Star Wars Rebels is currently on reruns. The new season is starting soon. A lot has happens in season 1 so you might want to get caught up before that new one comes out.

Wait, how did she not like Ahsoka Tano? I mean I know she's starts off little annoying but by the end she's like the best character on the show

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

also of all the people to kill the bill Moran was not one of the ones I expected

or even knew was in the senate

He's got a brain, though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Gort posted:

I saw Return of the Jedi recently on a 4K TV and it looked like absolute rear end. This was my story.

Turn on your monitor screen.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 18, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/hughhewitt/status/887328871690928129

:agreed:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

The next things they are trying to do isn't going to be any easier than this if it's taxes, infrastructure or the budget. I think there is a very real chance that we're sitting here in a year in the middle of the midterms and Trump has zero legislative accomplishments.
I agree completely. If anything this was 'easier' compared to taxes and the budget, where you will always have those few members of Congress who are willing to play chicken with our credit rating just to take something away from poor people.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Well, they can pass a deficit-financed tax cut for 10 years, so I guess blowing up the national debt would count for something.

I am not, and have never been, a deficit hawk.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think the thing we have to be the most thankful for is that Trump has pretty much made it impossible for any democrat to cooperate with him on anything, even the lovely ones who would probably want to. (Joe Manchin)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

You might have missed it but there's also Princess Leia comic that's pretty good and a doctor Aphra comic that's awesome. Star Wars Rebels is currently on reruns. The new season is starting soon. A lot has happens in season 1 so you might want to get caught up before that new one comes out.

Wait, how did she not like Ahsoka Tano? I mean I know she's starts off little annoying but by the end she's like the best character on the show

She recognizes her and likes her, but I can't get her to sit down and just watch it w/me.

I feel like the show isn't centered enough on a girl character for her to really dig it, idk. I like clone wars, but in my experience it's pretty hard to follow. It's entirely too episodic, to the point that they have to intro the current shows plot because the set-up was almost never actually part of the previous show. You're stuck in this near constant started-watching-arrested-development-halfway-through-season-2 state.

I'm actually shopping Amazon right now for an Ahsoka action figured for her to attach herself to like this little tracer doll a friend gave me that she loves. Stumbled across Disney Infinity and considering buying that.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 18, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna need to see the GOP actually fail to pass temporary tax cuts before I believe they can't get that done. Beyond that though, yeah there won't be much. I wouldn't be surprised if they give up on the budget and pass a 2 year CR.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well, they can pass a deficit-financed tax cut for 10 years, so I guess blowing up the national debt would count for something.

Can they get 50 votes for that? Who knows.... Paul is definitely a no.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah they don't actually give a poo poo about the deficit, except as an excuse to cut spending. I think taxes will be easier for them, although there's always a chance that the freedom caucus jams a wrench into it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sheep-dodger posted:

If it has to be Princess themed, I'd recommend Elena of Avalor and Star vs the Forces of Evil, those are pretty good shows imo.
If you want to cast the net wider, definitely check out Steven Universe.

Elena of Avalor is problematic because it is a fairy tale that romanticizes the Spanish colonization of Mexico.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

My daughter just got a Frozen comic. The lead story was Elsa getting stressed out over negotiating a trade deal with a neighboring kingdom.

Someone should send copies to Donald Trump and Theresa May.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mcmagic posted:

I think the thing we have to be the most thankful for is that Trump has pretty much made it impossible for any democrat to cooperate with him on anything, even the lovely ones who would probably want to. (Joe Manchin)

I bet you have a life sized homemade Joe Manchin doll that you gently caress (that fucks you?).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Someone should send copies to Donald Trump and Theresa May.

Trump won't read it unless an OC that's basically him is added.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Deified Data posted:

A friend's boy is obsessed with cleaning equipment - brooms, mops, etc. Which would be weird even for a girl, a demographic that probably does have a "Princess's First Dirt Scrubbing Set" marketed to them. Whatever makes him happy i guess.

If I had a kid he or she gets started on battle anime from day one

My son will be entering third grade in the fall and the kid is OBSESSED with large appliances, mainly dishwashers and washer/dryers. He will watch YouTube videos on how to fix them with a look of fascination. He'd probably get along very well with your friends son.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
McConnel's new plan is hostage taking. Make the future state so terrible that the Democrats have to vote for the Republican plan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I bet you have a life sized homemade Joe Manchin doll that you gently caress (that fucks you?).

Nah, he's just terrible.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Your Taint posted:

My son will be entering third grade in the fall and the kid is OBSESSED with large appliances, mainly dishwashers and washer/dryers. He will watch YouTube videos on how to fix them with a look of fascination. He'd probably get along very well with your friends son.

Awesome, my heater is broken. Will he work for bologna?

Officials concerned Kiushner will not be granted his clearance. LO loving L

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Your Taint posted:

Good option: Becomes a mech engineer and designs appliances
Other good option: becomes an appliance repairman
Bad option: lives in a refrigerator box, makes a humming sound at all times

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Tucker Carlson begs the question, "When does a Nazi apologist become a Nazi?"

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/887115275249885184

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Nah, he's just terrible.

And yet you want this:

mcmagic posted:

Susan Collins should just become an Independent who caucuses with the Dems or just a Democrat. There is no ideological room between her and Joe Manchin.

:confused:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If he had started with infrastructure we would have been hosed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

farraday posted:

Awesome, my heater is broken. Will he work for bologna?

Officials concerned Kiushner will not be granted his clearance. LO loving L

Wait, Kush lost his security clearance? Got a link for the sensible chuckle?

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Randbrick posted:

Word. All the genuine Rockefeller republicans already left the party. We already got the Lincolns Chafee and the Arlens Specter. They were and are better more honest and infinitely more worthwhile than Collins.

Arlen Specter, for all he was, torpedoed the appointment of one Jeff Sessions to the federal bench, because Jeff Sessions is Jeff Sessions, and he had such integrity.

Susan Collins, by contrast, helped put Sessions in charge of the DOJ, because Jeff Sessions is Jeff Sessions.

She is pretending to occupy that political space, but she does not occupy that political space. She is a cardboard cutout.

I have been voting longer than many on the forums have been alive and Arlen Specter is the only Republican for whom I have ever voted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, Kush lost his security clearance? Got a link for the sensible chuckle?

Pretty sure he's on an interim and awaiting final adjudication, which is where the concern is.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/politics/jared-kushner-security-clearance/index.html

farraday fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 18, 2017

• Locked thread