Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Man, my owls are getting out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I figured by now I'd be up to Five in the Clown Balloon and Jakiri would be at like, David Tennant with the Basiltar, but people just don't buy BRCTs like they used to.

It's probably a good thing, I've gotten kind of attached to Tom.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just keep thinking about how even though I'd have loved for Bill to have stuck around, a new companion means someone who's only ever known the Doctor as a woman. That's going to be a really interesting perspective, especially when they inevitably have her try to explain that actually she's spent countless thousands of years as a dude or if they run into old faces who care about the difference (although I'm not sure who that would be since new showrunner and most of the classic enemies don't give a poo poo about gender).

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I figured by now I'd be up to Five in the Clown Balloon and Jakiri would be at like, David Tennant with the Basiltar, but people just don't buy BRCTs like they used to.

Few more Masters and I might be tempted to switch owl collections.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mind Loving Owl posted:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Yeah, you need some new hooters.

Should I see myself out?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I just keep thinking about how even though I'd have loved for Bill to have stuck around, a new companion means someone who's only ever known the Doctor as a woman. That's going to be a really interesting perspective, especially when they inevitably have her try to explain that actually she's spent countless thousands of years as a dude or if they run into old faces who care about the difference (although I'm not sure who that would be since new showrunner and most of the classic enemies don't give a poo poo about gender).

Yeah, the Sontarans won't notice, the Cybermen certainly don't care, and the most you'll hear about it from the Daleks is "THIS FE-MALE IS IDENTIFIED AS 'THE DOC-TOR.' SHE IS AN ENEMY OF THE DAAAAALEKS!" and then it's just exterminate all the way down.

It's too bad Thirteen isn't one of the Doctors that Sarah Jane met. :smith:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Just regenerate Tom at the seven year mark.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Organza Quiz posted:

The Master, despite her recent time as Missy, is a noted misogynist, isn't she? Beyond that I think you'd have to use new human villains (which would be a comparatively fresh angle for New Who) if you wanted to touch on it through that lens. Then again I'd hope commentary on 13's gender is limited to a quip in the premiere and encounters with recurring characters (like Captain Jack, say he hasn't died recently so his fixed point hasn't reset or blahblah). I feel like not-caring-at-all matches Doctor Who's brand of progressiveness.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2017

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

So, I actually have money at the moment. Anyone competent and charitable enough to make another gif out of that?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

2house2fly posted:

It looked like he'd been trying to hold it off since the rooftop, yeah

And what about Missy's "are you okay?" several episodes earlier.

Like looking at this season in retrospect, the Doctor had gotten old again...he seems to have been in semi-retirement, guarding the vault, for hundreds of years. Even for a Time Lord, it might have been a long time for him. He was probably getting close to dying of old age even without the Cyberman shock.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

glowing-fish posted:

Like looking at this season in retrospect, the Doctor had gotten old again...he seems to have been in semi-retirement, guarding the vault, for hundreds of years. Even for a Time Lord, it might have been a long time for him. He was probably getting close to dying of old age even without the Cyberman shock.

he's also snuck off on hundreds, if not thousands of adventures with a whole host of new companions. he's saved the universe dozens of times and defeated every one of his classic enemies in a variety of new and exciting ways. he's also joined up with old versions of himself and visited old companions for another adventure or two.

hasn't he, Big Finish?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Do they have Urgent Calls? It's still my go-to for starting people out on both the audio format and Six worship?

Plus, it's short.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

glowing-fish posted:

I wondered about that at the time, that and what happened to the Tardis never really got followed up on did they. I guess the Tardis just malfunctioned and that was why Missy was fixing it the next episode?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Plavski posted:

See, I thought this was just awful. It seemed to me that Clara should be in the middle of existential despair at the sight of her Doctor turning into someone else in front of her. And instead of being shocked, she makes some weird repetition joke.

Her reactions in Deep Breath were more believable, what with her being really horribly upset that she'd lost her Doctor. But when he regenerates, she's all sarcastic jokey and it felt really out of place. Coming off the back of everything that had gone before in that episode, it was strange.
idk I always thought she played that scene perfectly, and really conveyed the apprehension, fear and uncertainty you'd feel at being trapped in a box with a weird scottish man who is suddenly not your best friend anymore, without going over the top. I didn't take "Of your kidneys?" as jokey, more confused

but I freely admit I am a bigger Jenna Coleman fan than most, I love Clara even more than Donna or Rory

howe_sam posted:

"I'll always remember when the Doctor was me" is such a perfect line.
the whole scene is so good but that line is so so good

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

The Master, despite her recent time as Missy, is a noted misogynist, isn't she? Beyond that I think you'd have to use new human villains (which would be a comparatively fresh angle for New Who) if you wanted to touch on it through that lens. Then again I'd hope commentary on 13's gender is limited to a quip in the premiere and encounters with recurring characters (like Captain Jack, say he hasn't died recently so his fixed point hasn't reset or blahblah). I feel like not-caring-at-all matches Doctor Who's brand of progressiveness.

The Master's misogyny even comes through in regards to herself, especially early on. Referring to herself as Missy, calling herself a Time Lady, and early on talking about the Proper Way for Time Ladies to act.

And you know, being God awful horrible to the Doctor's companions every time she could.

It died down this last season, mostly because she was making a concerted effort to be 'Gud', but yeah. If any villain is going to start treating the Doctor different due to having lady parts, it's going to be the Master. Regardless of their gender.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

After The War posted:

Do they have Urgent Calls? It's still my go-to for starting people out on both the audio format and Six worship?

Plus, it's short.

spotify list:

Main range 1- 50
5 4th doctor adventures
7 8th doctor adventures
8 lost stories
dalek empire season 1 & 2
10 destiny of the doctor
3 unit
2 jago & litefoot
3 graceless
7 iris wildthyme
3 bernice summerfield
2 counter-measures
1 short trip
unit: dominion
4 companion chronicles
1 series Cyberman
1 series I, Davros
2 stageplays

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mameluke posted:

(like Captain Jack, say he hasn't died recently so his fixed point hasn't reset or blahblah)

Ha, I actually love this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember who said it, but just before season 8 aired somebody posted the most perfect summation of it, it went something like:

Previously on Doctor Who:
:staredog: __________________ :ohdear:

This week on Doctor Who:
:staredog: ____ :ohdear:

it was me :keke:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Is... is this rhyming cockney slang? I didn't understand a word of it :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Is... is this rhyming cockney slang? I didn't understand a word of it :ohdear:

My avatar is currently the Fourth Doctor in Bowser's clown vehicle with Nintendo versions of Four companions. I usually just get an avatar with the next Doctor after someone buys me an Angry Big Red Custom Title.

Jakiri's avatar is the Fifth Doctor with a hand puppet named Basil (from a British TV show) and he usually does the same.

e: oh, speaking of which, the avatar history website doesn't work anymore, bummer :(

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Plavski posted:

he's also snuck off on hundreds, if not thousands of adventures with a whole host of new companions. he's saved the universe dozens of times and defeated every one of his classic enemies in a variety of new and exciting ways. he's also joined up with old versions of himself and visited old companions for another adventure or two.

hasn't he, Big Finish?

With William/Peter playing 1, Frazer playing 2, and Tim playing 3, all they need is to get a license for the new DW stuff (so probably a few years from now, since currently they can cover up to 11's regen in 2013) and someone to replace Ecceston as 9 to have a full 12 Doctors set!

Exciting, can't wait for "12th Doctor Adventures" where some of the 'extended Companions' like Bill's mom or roommates narrate my stories.

Have any of you listened to Big Finish's Third Doctor Adventures? What are your opinions? 3 is my least visited era (next to 1) and I believe I've listened to Tim's voice more than Jon's.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Plavski posted:

See, I thought this was just awful. It seemed to me that Clara should be in the middle of existential despair at the sight of her Doctor turning into someone else in front of her. And instead of being shocked, she makes some weird repetition joke.

Her reactions in Deep Breath were more believable, what with her being really horribly upset that she'd lost her Doctor. But when he regenerates, she's all sarcastic jokey and it felt really out of place. Coming off the back of everything that had gone before in that episode, it was strange.

She'd just come off an adventure with three of him. I think she would be used to the idea.

Fil5000 posted:

Levine is angry because he gets no say in how Doctor Who is made these days and because people aren't constantly praising him for his contributions to the show. He doesn't really need specific things to get angry, he's just constantly enraged that loving K9 and Company never went to series, that no one wanted his Shada animation, and that no one bought Doctor in Distress. Hopefully he won't watch the show any more and then we'll never hear from him again.

Oh, I'm certain he'll be one of those people who hate watch, and spend all of time talking about how better it used to be.

Hey, for fun, let's see what the one person Ian hates more than Chibnall had to say:

https://twitter.com/archives1963/status/886624076143501312

Heh (Morris is the man who found Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, and who Levine believes is hoarding the rest of the missing eps)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 18, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

a bit late to be responding to the finale, but there's something that really bugged me.

Bill would rather die than "live" as a cyberman. existence as a reanimated corpse trapped inside a metal suit is worse than death. one of the better points of the episode, and shows they had a grasp of the cyberman concept. not like certain 80s episodes that were just moon boots and 'excellent's
contrast this to two years ago when "the brigadier will live on as a cyberman" was considered a loving tribute to the character and Nicholas Courtney instead of just crass and stupid.

ugh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

My avatar is currently the Fourth Doctor in Bowser's clown vehicle with Nintendo versions of Four companions. I usually just get an avatar with the next Doctor after someone buys me an Angry Big Red Custom Title.

Jakiri's avatar is the Fifth Doctor with a hand puppet named Basil (from a British TV show) and he usually does the same.

e: oh, speaking of which, the avatar history website doesn't work anymore, bummer :(

Basil Brush to be precise (and I have a mysterious benefactor to thank for most of them, the only one I bought my self was the Troughton one many many moons ago)

I think I've had this one since, what, The Rebel Flesh?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, grief isn't an instantaneous reaction to loss.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

a bit late to be responding to the finale, but there's something that really bugged me.

Bill would rather die than "live" as a cyberman. existence as a reanimated corpse trapped inside a metal suit is worse than death. one of the better points of the episode, and shows they had a grasp of the cyberman concept. not like certain 80s episodes that were just moon boots and 'excellent's
contrast this to two years ago when "the brigadier will live on as a cyberman" was considered a loving tribute to the character and Nicholas Courtney instead of just crass and stupid.

ugh

I can safely say that it was probably the biggest misjudgement of what the fans wanted in the history of sci fi television. Even more so than These are the voyages.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cerv posted:

ugh

Different characters reacting to things different ways? A career military man who underwent cyberconversion while dead being fine with essentially existing to serve and protect vs a university student in her early 20s who'd just undergone horrific trauma? Two entirely different cyberconversion processes to different models of cybermen (notably Bills version being maybe 2 hardware revisions on from the ones that literally begged for death)?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Different characters reacting to things different ways? A career military man who underwent cyberconversion while dead being fine with essentially existing to serve and protect vs a university student in her early 20s who'd just undergone horrific trauma? Two entirely different cyberconversion processes to different models of cybermen (notably Bills version being maybe 2 hardware revisions on from the ones that literally begged for death)?

Nah Cyberbrig was just really really terrible on every level. A loving tribute to a character should not involve desecrating that character's corpse.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really, really hope that Big Finish does not touch Cyberbrig at all.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

marktheando posted:

Nah Cyberbrig was just really really terrible on every level. A loving tribute to a character should not involve desecrating that character's corpse.

Funnily enough, a major plotline in the new Twin Peaks plays out very much as a loving tribute to a past character despite being centered around that character's dismembered corpse.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I dont think the loving tribute was that he lives on as a Cyberman, more that even with a clone of his consciousness downloaded into a gruesome robot body the old chap mucks in and helps out. If it was intended as a loving tribute at all, I haven't really read any behind the scenes stuff about the episode

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I've only just now realised that for the entirety of this conversation I've been imagining Cyber-Brig looking like this picture without even meaning to

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I dont think the loving tribute was that he lives on as a Cyberman, more that even with a clone of his consciousness downloaded into a gruesome robot body the old chap mucks in and helps out. If it was intended as a loving tribute at all, I haven't really read any behind the scenes stuff about the episode

It is that second thing, but that doesn't diminish how bad of an idea it was. There was big swelling music while he saved the day, saluted and flew away. Like it feels pretty obvious that it was an attempt to say "Hey, remember the Brig? Well, now he's (temporarily) back... in Cyber-form!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Good: I now have a complete McCoy run on DVD :woop:
Insane: I'm three DVDs away from a complete T.Baker run :shepface:

Thanks to Brexit tanking the pound, this trip has been extremely cheap. So of course, I did the logical thing and bought 19 classic DVDS.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Forktoss posted:

I've only just now realised that for the entirety of this conversation I've been imagining Cyber-Brig looking like this picture without even meaning to

Me too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Thanks to Brexit tanking the pound, this trip has been extremely cheap. So of course, I did the logical thing and bought 19 classic DVDS.

Hook up your old friend Jakiri again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hook up your old friend Jakiri again

Hopefully whoever I get for DWSS this year is in the U.K. because a couple of the box sets I bought have dupes. It was literally cheaper to buy the sets here than to track down the single releases in the US (assuming they weren't already OOP).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now bury Time and the Rani where no one will ever find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

thrawn527 posted:

Perfect, thanks!

I will add two 8th Doctor stories that are worthy of your attention too

Minuet In Hell
A terrifying journey into a satanic coven.

Creed of the Kromon.
Very affecting body horror, it will have an definite effect on you.

Definitely some of the best stories that Big Finish have to offer.

• Locked thread