Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

razorscooter posted:

said it in the other thread but This is Hell! is a good podcast if you want real lefty poo poo but with the npr, actually airs on the radio feel to it

"let's not forget our friends who host another radio show called ejaculate village"

KPFA has great shows if you're into This is Hell:

Against the Grain
Behind the News with Doug Henwood
Guns and Butter

and of course

Democracy Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think "So That Happened" is genuinely really good if you want some good in-depth coverage of things with enough of an acerbic tone to keep it from being a slog. Sadly Jason Linkins isn't the host anymore, but it's still been pretty good since then.

Serf
May 5, 2011

discourse collective is actually pretty good. i was shaky on it at first, because the audio quality ranges wildly, but they've been very good about explaining stuff in layman's terms and pointing me towards books i should read. their most recent episode about the history of debt is good, but the starter episode i would recommend is the one they did with Bryan from Street Fight

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Serf posted:

discourse collective is actually pretty good. i was shaky on it at first, because the audio quality ranges wildly, but they've been very good about explaining stuff in layman's terms and pointing me towards books i should read. their most recent episode about the history of debt is good, but the starter episode i would recommend is the one they did with Bryan from Street Fight

I really dig their pop culture episodes, kinda neat to hear about stuff like Akira or vaporwave from a left perspective.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Cum Town Adam reports that Chapo Matt puts ketchup on macaroni and cheese. :stonk:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Street Fight (thread here), This is hell, and Delete your account are all good. Though if you get depressed after listening to too much TiH and DYA don't blame me. I listen to a bunch of other stuff because I farm spreadsheets, but Merrit K puts out Woodland Secrets which is a palate cleanser after heavier stuff. She basically just talks with someone about whatever comes up, it's meandering but good. If you like nerdier stuff, Monster in my Podcast is also very light, two people going through old monster manual entries in DnD, episodes are less than 8 minutes always.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/jackjonesbabe/status/887138738933039104

:fuckoff:

https://twitter.com/sensen2011

quote:

Neoliberal centrist, living the life earning $ honestly from corporate world. Horseshoe theory is real!

https://twitter.com/sensen2011/status/801995597293174784

:bang:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 18, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

this guy keeps showing up despite only having 200 followers. dave weigel follows him lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i have 1 follower on twitter. :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/DogBoneStudio/status/886995804862517248

https://twitter.com/DogBoneStudio/status/886684425228095488

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 18, 2017

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

prefect posted:

Cum Town Adam reports that Chapo Matt puts ketchup on macaroni and cheese. :stonk:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/835344261524701185

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
All the podcasts mentioned are good but Uhh Yeah Dude is still the granddaddy of them all

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Gonna plug This is Hell

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Dollop is good and cool and I don't care what you think of me for liking it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Boywhiz88 posted:

With politically related podcasts, I've enjoyed starting w whatever episode is right after the election. Any recommendations for specific episodes for Street Fight or F Plus?

Good starting episodes would be Any Cling You Want (You Got It) (wrapping Roy Orbison in cling film), Sir Rev. Dr. Prof. John Kitchin Ph.D, Esq (my favorite Crazy Online Person episode), and You May Now Fistbump The Bride (nerdy and insufferable weddings). If you're feeling saucy, you can go with These Are A Few Of My Favorite Kinks (furries with wild fetishes) or This Testes My Limits (ball-busting). If you like what you hear and can handle their voices, be sure to listen to The F Plus Sings, and get ready to PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CortezFantastic posted:

All the podcasts mentioned are good but Uhh Yeah Dude is still the granddaddy of them all

UYD is one of the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoR1dUm9dE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26QD-wfU60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3VnwjPuIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHeQemsSf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzaHLVDVVcE&t=507s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wfo113T1s

It's been going for 10 years and it's amazingly consistent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Lovett or Leave is good and cool and I don't care what you think of me for liking it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Pod Save America spent time in their latest episode talking about how good the Gorka impression is on Chapo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
trillbilly worker's party you plebs

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm sure this comes up so often, but what other podcasts do you listen to? I never really listened to podcasts until this last year. I subscribe to 2 Dope Queens, Bodega Boyz, and Chapto Trap House. I'm also a Grey Wolf subscriber. I tried a couple episodes of Cum Town and The Dollop but couldn't get into em. I'd love suggestions!

What a Hell of a Way to Die is a great one, more leftist politics but all the hosts are either active duty or retired military

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:monocle:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
holy poo poo I didn't realize the Lesko mobile was a Mini Cooper, that owns so much

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Chris Cillizza is doing an AMA on r/politics and the top questions are not what you'd expect.

quote:

Hi, I'm Libby Watson, I'm a staff writer at Fusion. Why do you think so many other journalists think you suck?

Neon Belly posted:

Pod Save America spent time in their latest episode talking about how good the Gorka impression is on Chapo.

Oh no. The Gorka impression gag is officially dead now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Fix cancelled his first ama because it was nothing but sweetie feet questions.

It is happening again :allears:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Antti posted:

Oh no. The Gorka impression gag is officially dead now.
On that topic, anyone know what episode had Gorka turning up via helicopter?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

On that topic, anyone know what episode had Gorka turning up via helicopter?

103, the French election episode. It's in the back half.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Famethrowa posted:

The Fix cancelled his first ama because it was nothing but sweetie feet questions.

It is happening again :allears:

I figured just pundit obsessives hated this guy. really great to see him get dragged by reddit normies

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

padijun posted:

reddit normies

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Chris is answering questions now!

quote:

That was in 2014. I keep trying to evolve as a journalist and have tried to do so since then.

quote:

Try harder.

quote:

This would be a problem if I was the only reporter at CNN -- or the only political news reporter. Lucky for all of us, I'm not! There are hundreds -- thousands? -- of us. That means you can pick and choose what you read and what you don't -- and get the news even without (gasp!) reading me.

quote:

I don't see how not being the only political reporter in the world is a justification for actively lowering our political discourse.

quote:

Yeah, but CNN decided that they'll pay YOU 8 figures.

Just thinking about Cillizza being paid eight figures (or seven or six) makes me want to vomit.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

padijun posted:

I figured just pundit obsessives hated this guy. really great to see him get dragged by reddit normies

I think the Chapo subreddit did a minor forum invasion too :ssh:

Libby made an appearance too calling him a lovely journalist though lmao

Reddit Normie posted:

Does Wolf Blitzer just liive in a cabinet at CNN and is folded away after use?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

prefect posted:

Isn't he from Wisconsin or whatever? That makes him basically Canadian so that makes sense.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Jacobin podcasts at large can be pretty serious and dry affairs, but I really enjoy Stockton to Malone. Chapo Guest R.L. Stephens is one of the hosts, so if you liked his politics and demeanor, you'll probably dig the podcast.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Of the frankly unmanageable list of podcasts I'm subscribed to, I'd recommend/second Abject Suffering (comedy and bad video games), Delete Your Account, Important If True, Thirty Twenty Ten (this week in pop culture 30, 20, and 10 years ago), Last Podcast on the Left, We Hate Movies (bad movies but with actual funny people), Overthinking It (giving popular culture a level of scrutiny it probably doesn't deserve), Revolutionary Left Radio, The Comedy Button, This is Hell, Trilbilly Workers Party, The F Plus, Discourse Collective, and Zero Squared

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Gonna throw in my hat for Arsenal For Democracy, a news/interview show very much in the vein of This Is Hell, and Dumb People Town, a comedy podcast with stupidly good rapport between the hosts; 2 of the 3 are twin brothers who sound and act almost identical, to the point where they constantly speak in unison or finish each other's sentences even while improvising, it's both funny and terrifying.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Codpasts

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Now, was it a ketchup other than Heinz?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Now, was it a ketchup other than Heinz?

I too am curious which Catsup he used :v:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I too am curious which Catsup he used :v:

Is the spelling thing a regional difference?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is the spelling thing a regional difference?

I think catsup is the olde timey way of spelling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Someone in this thread recommended The War Nerd and its really loving good for actually understanding history poo poo but also one of the hosts ran a speed lab for a while so they're like OG dirtbag left.

Wait The War Nerd is good? Then who's the big TCOT chickenhawk 'military historian' type who's hot takes always boil down to 'but perhaps we should blow up any country that makes me scared' wrapped in fifty layers of bullshit?