Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, this disaster is exceeding even my low expectations at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Latin Pheonix posted:

totally unnecessary Gladius rework

How dare you. It's very important for players to be blinded by their guns every time they fire.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
24 player limit :lol:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I wonder if enough goons still own this thing to lock Humility in an instance with only us.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
This isn't the first time they've raised the player limit to 24

Won't be the last, either

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CIG looked at its backers and then looked its staff. Then it demanded the staff to be more like its backers. Unquestioning, devout, willing to put everything on the line for the company. When the leavers quit only the faithful and desperate were left, and Chris saw it was good.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Beet Wagon posted:

I wonder if enough goons still own this thing to lock Humility in an instance with only us.

Can you still join random players games by just adding them as a friend and not having to wait for an accept?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Maw posted:

Can you still join random players games by just adding them as a friend and not having to wait for an accept?

I dunno, I haven't launched this shitheap in over a year lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

How dare you. It's very important for players to be blinded by their guns every time they fire.

Does one of the ship manufacturers or alien tech have a patent on anti-reflective coatings? I'm not up on my Star Citizen lore and spaceship brochures.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Do you even know what they're talking about? Because I don't think you do. Maybe go back and read up on it first?

No, enlighten me proc gen AI mathematician Magic JuJu master.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I need to make my investment worth it despite it not being what I paid for. -Citizen who backed the best drat space sim ever, locked in a server with a max of 24 people and relinquishing more and more of the "sim" aspects of the game.

24 people? you better lower those expectations, commando

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Roflan posted:

I didn't realize Warframe was so popular. Yet they have budgetary issues... They clearly need to learn the art of greed from Star Citizen and charge 300$ a frame.

They should have sprang for a better marketer.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does one of the ship manufacturers or alien tech have a patent on anti-reflective coatings? I'm not up on my Star Citizen lore and spaceship brochures.

Star Citizen is giving a loving homage to legendary science fiction properties like Warhammer 40K and Battletech by including themes of "Advanced technology lost to the ages."

Chief among this 'Lostech' in Star Citizen is the capability to make glass you can see through.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It will be cool to salvage for lost tech such as EMM386.EXE to get better FPS.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

i'm continually amazed at how people cannot distinguish between things that actually exist in star citizen and things that CIG have said will exist at some point in the future. CIG has promised millions of AI all going about their lives autonomously and indistinguishable from real players. But so far they are months overdue on getting a SINGLE npc mission giver into the game, who just sits at a bar doing nothing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

It will be cool to salvage for lost tech such as EMM386.EXE to get better FPS.

That tech isn't so much lost as it is shot, stabbed, dumped in a ditch, set on fire, encased in concrete, shot again, thrown into the ocean and then wilfully removed from all ocean charts. Also, all the charts have been deleted for good measure, because no-one really wants to go there again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Do you think that, if Derek Smart asked MoMa what his favorite thing about playing Star Citizen was right now, he'd answer?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

big nipples big life posted:

I mean I would be pretty upset if I owned 40,000 dollars in space ships and the game was now about running around on a planet. Why not just play Morrowind, it's surely going to better at running around doing poo poo on one planet.

This is the big flaw in the argument of "One moon has more area than every mmo together", or "There's so much surface area on the moons/planets that we only need a few of them." Why do you need spaceships if your gameplay is based on surface area of celestial bodies? You can do that with trucks, trains, boats, and planes. You can even do it on foot.

And surface area doesn't mean poo poo in a computer program. I could make a grape with the surface area of the known universe in a program. Who cares? Or, the vastness of space. A trillion square kilometers of space? Let me change a variable and now I have a quadrillion square kilometers of space. It's just numbers until you put something into it.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Latin Pheonix posted:

...But holy poo poo, the fact that a (German) game magazine broke the news that 90-95% of content has been cut before the backers were even told and the backers then leapt to CIG's defence totally overshadows it. Holy christ CIG, well played. :lol::lol::lol:

But are they really backers, as opposed to shills and/or people heavily invested in the grey market?

I think at this point, SC 'supporters' consist of the following:

i) Those that pledged the minimum amount and decided to subsequently forget about it until release.

ii) Mentally-challenged folk who cannot think rationally and support CIG whatever.

iii) Reputation-management company employees/shills.

iv) Grey-market traders, or those with other alterior motives.

I can't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense can look objectively at the current state of SC, with its delays, broken promises, bug-ridden modules, extravagant spending, shady marketting, and not decide that's it's become a clusterfuck of failure that will never match expectations, and then immediately put in for a refund.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

This is the big flaw in the argument of "One moon has more area than every mmo together", or "There's so much surface area on the moons/planets that we only need a few of them." Why do you need spaceships if your gameplay is based on surface area of celestial bodies? You can do that with trucks, trains, boats, and planes. You can even do it on foot.

And surface area doesn't mean poo poo in a computer program. I could make a grape with the surface area of the known universe in a program. Who cares? Or, the vastness of space. A trillion square kilometers of space? Let me change a variable and now I have a quadrillion square kilometers of space. It's just numbers until you put something into it.

I have no idea what you're on about. Obviously I would love to spend most of my gameplay time in a space simulator by walking around a barren moon, but I won't play Elite because fsjsdfp'kjdfslkfsqdnqdfwlk

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Foo Diddley posted:

This isn't the first time they've raised the player limit to 24

Won't be the last, either

But what if it is the last time? Like ever? :ohdear:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Bumbler posted:

I have a CMDR named Papa Alpha Romeo Papa for maximum immersion

Beaten :negative:

https://twitter.com/StarCitizenTrac/status/887095166758039552

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

this 24 person limit sounds very pie-in-the-sky, if someone has proof star citizen can support that many players i'd be shocked

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen 3.0 launch day is gonna be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZqYeoBdpVE&t=167s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Percelus posted:

this 24 person limit sounds very pie-in-the-sky, if someone has proof star citizen can support that many players i'd be shocked

Unfortunately it cannot be proven. Because there aren't that many people playing it simultaneously.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, this disaster is exceeding even my low expectations at this point.

I too underestimate human stupidity.

Bumbler posted:

I have a CMDR named Papa Alpha Papa for maximum immersion

Didn't want this to go unnoticed. Nice.

peter gabriel posted:

976 to go.

XK posted:

This is the big flaw in the argument of "One moon has more area than every mmo together", or "There's so much surface area on the moons/planets that we only need a few of them."

At this point the surface area in Elite is effectively infinite.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

hot balls man no homo posted:

But what if it is the last time? Like ever? :ohdear:

I'm sure they'll get a few more bullshit announcements out before last call, don't worry

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

peter gabriel posted:

well that explains the whole " you can all stand on the moon and not see each other"
lmao, a whole space of nothing with 24 people lol.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It's kind of funny that both the old school games this is based on, and the original pitch, emphasized travel through interstellar space between a huge amount of destinations with fairly basic landing zones. Now, they're putting off the space stuff in favor of doing things on the surfaces of planets/moons.

If you bought a ship for the purpose of traveling around in deep space, hauling cargo, exploring, whatever else, 5 systems with huge surface areas means poo poo to you. Imagine GTA5 where you ran errands between 5 buildings, and all the streets between those building were empty, but the buildings were huge, and the buildings were 99% empty hallways.

Crobbler's throwing away the foundation of the original concept, space stuff, for the idea of running around on planets.

He lost the plot on his own game.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Ponzi posted:

But are they really backers, as opposed to shills and/or people heavily invested in the grey market?

I think at this point, SC 'supporters' consist of the following:

i) Those that pledged the minimum amount and decided to subsequently forget about it until release.

ii) Mentally-challenged folk who cannot think rationally and support CIG whatever.

iii) Reputation-management company employees/shills.

iv) Grey-market traders, or those with other alterior motives.

I can't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense can look objectively at the current state of SC, with its delays, broken promises, bug-ridden modules, extravagant spending, shady marketting, and not decide that's it's become a clusterfuck of failure that will never match expectations, and then immediately put in for a refund.

I'm the mentally-challenged, reputation-management company shill who moonlights as a grey-market trader wtih ulterior motives that you have all come to know and love.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MoMA, how much are you looking forward to leaving your fleet parked while you walk around in star marine mode on a procgen planet in your space flying game you spent thousands on*?

*I still believe MoMA has far less in the game than he says and just likes to troll the thread. He may not have any money at all in it.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

MoMA, how much are you looking forward to leaving your fleet parked while you walk around in star marine mode on a procgen planet in your space flying game you spent thousands on*?

*I still believe MoMA has far less in the game than he says and just likes to troll the thread. He may not have any money at all in it.

Looking forward to it much.
I have lots of money everywhere - jokes on you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I still don't believe it. You just don't see to be a big enough idiot to have even 3 figures left in this game. Everyone else believes it though so Keep doing what you're doing™.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Looking forward to it much.
I have lots of money everywhere - jokes on you.

I'm glad ur $4000 is dead

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I still don't believe it. You just don't see to be a big enough idiot to have even 3 figures left in this game. Everyone else believes it though so Keep doing what you're doing™.

What kind of idiot do you think would have three figures in the game?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

boviscopophobic posted:

I'm glad ur $4000 is dead

:negative:

As long as my family is ok.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

What kind of idiot do you think would have three figures in the game?

Imagine redchris or obey the fist but loaded up with downers so they aren't as aggressive but still just as dumb

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I just made a GTA clone, but the streets are really long. Every road between buildings is 1,000+ miles. There's 5 buildings. That's more area than the combination of every mmo ever released.

I have a variety of vehicles you can buy to travel between these buildings. Some are hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars.