Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I don't really understand the desire to use wood stain, you have so much more control with a traditional wash. Do you just hate painting and want to do as little of it as possible to get them "done"

Back when I painted most of my tyranids GW hadn't produced a lot of washes. Even then, I don't hate painting but yes the point was to get 200 or 300 models finished before I died. I don't dip models anymore unless it's a tyranid and then I just use a lot of wash to match my old stuff. Despite the hate the web likes to throw on dipping it works well and it looks good.

I'm struggling to find some good pictures of my tyranids from my blog a lot of the old pictures got removed. You can see some of them in this battle report

https://youtu.be/HCQ74qW4U40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
There's nothing wrong with assembly-line painting a load of cheap proxy models (or a horde army's swarm) for casual games and leaving the dedicated work to the real units

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Heresy uber alles, Primaris suck!

Started some Imperial Fists. 5 down... 15 varying types of terminator to go.

Link to album Mountainfire Company Squad 1 https://imgur.com/gallery/I1shC

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Lord Twisted posted:

Heresy uber alles, Primaris suck!

Started some Imperial Fists. 5 down... 15 varying types of terminator to go.

Link to album Mountainfire Company Squad 1 https://imgur.com/gallery/I1shC

Oh gently caress ya man, these guys are dope. Sick yellow recipe too. And 5th company (black trim) is the correct company for Fists. :black101:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Cheers mate. They're a Heresy force, the fluff I'm writing up slowly is that they were near Ultramar when the Heresy began and are trying to force their way back to Terra with some rag-tag Ultramarines. I like the idea of them being part of the battalion who assault the Vengeful Spirit at the Siege of Terra.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Replacement part chat a couple pages back (yeah I'm slow in keeping up with threads)

I bought a Tidewall Shieldline a little over a year ago. And in 7th the configuration for it was not clear, so I never built the second end cap for the shield line part, as that is where it slotted into the accompanying defense platform. So 8th rolls around and clarifies the configuration finally. The shield line is supposed to have 2 end caps and no longer deploys attached to the defense platform. This is evidenced by the stock images of the shield line on the webstore.

So I dug through my bits box and didn't find a second "bottom half" of the end cap. I'm not one to lose bits as I'm very organized, so I assumed that my box did not come with one. I reached out to GW 2 weeks ago, and was completely honest with them about the time frame of my purchase. And I asked if I could just purchase the second bottom half that I need to make my shield line like it is imaged in their webstore. The GW rep's first response was, what is your address, we'll just send you a whole kit.

I received the replacement kit and opened it up to get the end cap out, and found that the kit only comes with a single bottom half for completing end caps. The mold is designed with two end cap top halves (one left, one right) and only a single universal end cap bottom half,. While GW's online images of the shieldline show 2 complete end caps in place. So I bet the rep knew that my kit wasn't misprinted like I thought it was, and still sent me a whole new kit.

GW's parts replacement is pretty awesome. I got my end cap to complete my current shieldwall piece, and I now have a mostly complete second shieldwall/platform combo that I can turn into terrain!

As a note, I did not have my box or a reciept. This thing had been built for a year and the spare parts sent to my bits graveyard. The GW rep didn't ask me a single question in regards to legitimacy of my claim.

*Fake Edit* More parts chat, Any Tau players have a spare Pathfinder Rail rifle arm pair? I need one more RR mans to complete my second heavy weapons squad to WYSIWYG. Right now I'm proxying in an Ion guy. I'm no good at chopping up hands to make it work, I've tried but it just looks bad.

*real edit* I can offer up some bits from an SM tac squad box. I only used the missile launcher and plasma gun from the kit when I built the squad. Or other Tau bits.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 18, 2017

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

:frogon:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Agentdark posted:

Anyone else got a Leman Russ Punisher Cannon. I can offer any of the turrets off the LRBT Tank, or a few bucks in cash>

I got you. PM me.

Cross post:

The Sex Cannon posted:

Another Primaris Lieutenant:

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 18, 2017

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So I just noticed one of the ribbon things off the Malignant Plaguecaster's hood came snapped in half on the sprue. As good as their customer service is, I highly doubt they'll send me a whole sprue or Dark Imperium box replacement over it, so what's the best way to go about fixing a thin flat piece like that?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I got you. PM me.

Cross post:

I've never been a fan of the Raven Guard, but your models turned me into one. Yours look so, SO good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Geoff Zahn posted:

So I just noticed one of the ribbon things off the Malignant Plaguecaster's hood came snapped in half on the sprue. As good as their customer service is, I highly doubt they'll send me a whole sprue or Dark Imperium box replacement over it, so what's the best way to go about fixing a thin flat piece like that?

Ive often been surprised at how generous they are with replacements. Ive gotten whole boxes of stuff just for one missing head or arm. Give it a shot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
White Scars preview is up. Whoever guessed their CT was "fall back and charge in the same turn," claim your prize. Also +2" to Advance moves.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/18/chapter-focus-white-scars-july18gw-homepage-post-3/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

I got you. PM me.

Cross post:

How do you do your black?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Prices on new Primaris stuff doesn't surprise me. Was hoping codices would be cheaper this time around but oh well. The prices are about on par for the Stormcast dudes who are about the same size. Still holding out for the Start Collecting! box before I pick up any more.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I got you. PM me.

Cross post:

That's a handsome Birb Bro

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Looks like some more of the Chapter Tactics got leaked out. Basically by people guessing the URL because GW already has them uploaded.

Edit: double-linked Iron Hands and forgot Imperial Fists

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 18, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You linked the Iron Hands one twice by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5J11kAws4
Ooh, that's unexpected.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

Why not? Squatmars are cool looking models, are currently supported, and if they lose support in the future you can just play your old Marines as Primaris. Seems like a low risk purchase to me.

Firstly I wouldnt buy NEW kits from GW. Old marines are going to just keep getting cheaper and cheaper on ebay and i would not be suprised when the full range of primaris stuff comes out you will be able to pick up decently painted space marines armies at great prices. Second they are going to release Primaris kits that dont have an equivalent with old marines that players will want, they might even be "must takes." I find the old and new do not to mix great and it is jarring to have guys who are a full head shorter on the table. If this doesn't bother you than go ahead and buy, but it does bother me so I won't. Finally, and this is the least important by far to me, 99% small marines are going to lose all their resale value which might matter to some.

Also Squats didn't get a model line upgrade that changed their scale.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Looks like some more of the Chapter Tactics got leaked out. Basically by people guessing the URL because GW already has them uploaded.

Edit: double-linked Iron Hands and forgot Imperial Fists

Imperial Fists are going to be brutal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Somebody pick up the phone . . .

Because I called it!

I find it kind of hilarious that the Salamander chapter tactics are less useful when using flamer weaponry, which is supposed to be their bread and butter. Besides that, though, they seem like some of the stronger tactics so far. Now that I'm fairly certain we've seen all 7 codex marines (Ultras, Scars, Ravens, Fists, Salamanders, Hands, Templars), who do you guys think are the clear winners and losers as far as Tactics go?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Because I called it!

I find it kind of hilarious that the Salamander chapter tactics are less useful when using flamer weaponry, which is supposed to be their bread and butter. Besides that, though, they seem like some of the stronger tactics so far. Now that I'm fairly certain we've seen all 7 codex marines (Ultras, Scars, Ravens, Fists, Salamanders, Hands, Templars), who do you guys think are the clear winners and losers as far as Tactics go?

Better for melta though, which is also their bread and butter

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think Ultramarines ended up pretty well off. It seems lots of people are fielding swarms with the goal of tying opponents forces up in melee.

Ultramarines can back-up-and-shoot, which seems useful in many situations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It looks to me like the Ultramarines came out best with the Fists and Raven Guard close behind. The other three seem ok but really aren't anything to get excited about.

Given how the meta seems to be shaping up those smurf tactics are going to be pretty clutch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

Because I called it!

The Salamander tactic really encourages MSU, which is interesting.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Iron Hands are exactly what I expected. I think Salamanders will be good with the right load-outs and will be especially good for tactical squads. Black Templars are solid if a bit boring. I was hoping for something a little more unique considering how the others are laid out. Imperial Fists are underwhelming. Cover is harder to claim in 8th so I don't know how often it'll come up.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Firstly I wouldnt buy NEW kits from GW. Old marines are going to just keep getting cheaper and cheaper on ebay and i would not be suprised when the full range of primaris stuff comes out you will be able to pick up decently painted space marines armies at great prices. Second they are going to release Primaris kits that dont have an equivalent with old marines that players will want, they might even be "must takes." I find the old and new do not to mix great and it is jarring to have guys who are a full head shorter on the table. If this doesn't bother you than go ahead and buy, but it does bother me so I won't. Finally, and this is the least important by far to me, 99% small marines are going to lose all their resale value which might matter to some.

Also Squats didn't get a model line upgrade that changed their scale.
I play 30k so I'm used to mono-task units, but the primaris aren't working for me. So far, I've found the primaris units to occupy weird, little niches that didn't really need filling in the marine list. I don't have a use for them. I don't like the models enough either. Maybe if I was starting an army of them, but, as-is, my Dark Angels already have everything covered. It's also fitting for them to be needlessly stubborn. :v:

I won't get chapter tactics for a while though. :negative:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ultramarine tactics are baller. Falling back and shooting is just so good.

Imperial Fists straight-up ignoring cover is no joke. Raven Guard's "hard to hit" benefit is big game, and the Salamanders re-rolling a hit or wound roll per unit is really good for MSU spam. Especially with meltaguns.

They're all good, really. Iron Hands being survivable is predictable (and solid) and the White Scars getting an extra 2" advance + being able to fall back and assault in the same turn is sweet for them too.

Oh. And Templars being able to re-roll charge is good. I use it for Orks all the time, and when it matters, it REALLY matters.

As an Imperial Fists player, I'm pretty stoked though. Straight up ignoring cover for everything is really good. We'll see if it applies to all <CHAPTER> models or only specific ones ...I really want my Thunderfire Cannons to get the benefit, but rumors are that only Infantry, Bikes and Dreadnoughts can claim Chapter Tactics bonuses.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 18, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

It looks to me like the Ultramarines and Raven Guard came out best with the Fists close behind. The other three seem ok but really aren't anything to get excited about.

I gotta agree that Ultras are clear winners. +1 Leadership is surprisingly handy, and fallback shooting is seriously useful. Their Stratagem needs to hit too, but I doubt it'll be much weaker.

Raven Guard, depending on the opponent, ranges from always useful to downright ridiculous. Marines who'll want to engage in Rapid Fire range anyway won't see much difference, but a faction like Tau is going to be seriously depressed. I think they also have the better of our two Strategems so far. Reivers especially are going to love it, I think.

White Scars had a really fun looking one at first, but looking at it now I'm a bit hesitant. Being able to disengage and charge is useful for playing chicken with other assault armies, but I feel like an army that is willing to tie your Scars up in melee is going to be one capable of dealing enough damage to damper that counter-charge. Their tactic is really specific towards bikes, too, even if it means those bikes can basically span the entire board with ease.

Salamanders seem like winners in my book too, if built slightly. Load up a bunch of MSU forces and you're getting, like, 1/5th of your hit and wound rolls redone per phase. That's an absurd amount of rerolls going out at once, and if it stacks with meltas at close range it'll make Salamanders scarily precise. I just wish it worked with Flamers too, but I can understand why it doesn't.

Fists are unfortunately dependent on board comp, moreso than any other chapter. If there are tons of buildings to embark in and ruins to hunker down in, they're great. In Cities of Death games, where ruins can be up to a +2 cover save and buildings are likely the norm, they're absurd. If you have a few scattered forests on a mostly bare board, they get no advantages. I'm pretty content with them, though, because ideally tables should have a good distribution of cover anyway.

Iron Hands are boring but practical, but what else can you expect from a chapter whose primarch is literally just named Iron Hands Man? Their Feel No Pain isn't the best one, but it's still functional. Hopefully their Strategem is more interesting.

Finally, Templars are another one that seems surprisingly boring, but rerolling a charge is really helpful and saves you valuable command points. It's at least more interesting than what the Iron Hands have, and can possibly save games.

Honestly, all of these are at the very least useful. Fists and Scars are the most questionable ones to me, and even the Fists' tactic is at least only iffy due to out-of-game factors like terrain placement. I'm just really doubtful hesitant about how the White Scars countercharges are going to play out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gently caress I didn't actually prepare anything.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

WhiteWolf123 posted:

You'll have to raise PaintVagrant from the grave to get his recipe. It was all commission work from years ago.

Well that's unfortunate, thanks anyways.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

FromTheShire posted:

Well that's unfortunate, thanks anyways.

Sorry bud. If I get more commission work done in the future, and they can match the recipe, I'll post it for 'ya.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I was hoping for a Tank Hunters type thing for Fists, but the more I think about it, the more I think their tactics equate to an extra AP in a LOT of situations, which is going to make tearing apart castled up infantry significantly easier.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I like the Fists one even if it's a bit more situational than some of the others.

I painted up my Hellblasters just now:

Also I thought you all would enjoy this:

Back when my buddy and I were still running our tournament company we had an idea to do a warzone board with tons of destroyed vehicles and such on it. We never really got around to it, but I still have all the tanks in my attic and I decided to dig one out and do something with it. Glory in its original paint scheme, courtesy of 2011 eBay.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sykic posted:

I'm honestly not sure I'd want old marines anymore, just because they look so much worse compared to primaris. The intercessors anyway, the gravis stuff looks silly. Speaking of things that look bad, I finished a test intercessor.

And here I thought squatting marines was the problem all these years. :v:

How did you do the purple?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hope there's an Apothecary nearby because this Marine is SIIIIIIICK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

There's nothing wrong with assembly-line painting a load of cheap proxy models (or a horde army's swarm) for casual games and leaving the dedicated work to the real units

Absolutely not. But assembly-line painting isn't dipping.

What we're saying is washing is already stupid fast. Washing takes like a second compared to actual painting like basecoating or highlights. Its SUPER fast. So there's not much reason to speed up washes and just go lazy dipping instead, when we have all these great wash pigments we could use instead and could be just the littlest bit careful about where we apply the wash as we go, instead of just dunking.

Like if you wanna speed up your models, do a basecoat and a wash and stop there. Skip the detail highlights. Skipping the washing to do a dunk doesn't really make much sense.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

How in the hell do people edge highlight so perfectly thin and straight? :saddowns:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How in the hell do people edge highlight so perfectly thin and straight? :saddowns:

Do it fast. If you are slow and careful your hands shake more.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The same way people freehand.

Dark magic.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do it fast. If you are slow and careful your hands shake more.

Also, a good brush and a bit of flow improver

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Corrode posted:

Back when my buddy and I were still running our tournament company we had an idea to do a warzone board with tons of destroyed vehicles and such on it. We never really got around to it, but I still have all the tanks in my attic and I decided to dig one out and do something with it. Glory in its original paint scheme, courtesy of 2011 eBay.

Pro-painted Space Marine Razorback. Starting bid $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

Also, a good brush and a bit of flow improver

l use the Vallejo Flow Improver for loving everything. It's basically cheating.