Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I just ordered the special edition of Lorgar: Bearer of the Word for $65.

How dumb am I?
                        /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've been put off by the mess that is the AoS background, and have avoided the books (possibly fueled out of spite from the Old World fiasco,) but I have heard that a few are alright. There's a new one coming out that actually focuses on humans (Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows,) so people are excited for it.

Are the Gemmell Awards voted on by the public? If so, I don't imagine it would be difficult for GW to market for a win, just because it has a bigger online presence than the other publishers.

It's an open vote apparently.

"The novel follows Arkas Warbeast, Lord-Celestant of the Celestial Vindicators, in his quest to recapture Ursungorod, a snow-wreathed tundra in the realm of Ghur. Warbeast must confront both the forces of Chaos and his memories of the past, and the story combines the grand cosmic struggles of the Age of Sigmar with a close look at life in the Mortal Realms. It’s a rich, fascinating and exciting book, one that stands both as a cracking read on its own and a great insight into the Stormcast Eternals and their foes."

Sounds poo poo tbh

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 18, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Book is going to own.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Come on, it's loving Gav Thorpe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Deptfordx posted:

So an Age of Sigmar novel won this years best novel Gemell award. :eyepop:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/17/gemmell-awards-warbeast/

I'd previously dismissed all AoS novels as being obvious trash even by genre fiction standards.

Has anyone actually read this?

you couldn't pay me to read a loving Gav Thorpe book

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Was it Gav or Graham that would interrupt the flow of a fight sequence to describe each and every piece of equipment worn by all 30 characters involved in excruciating and hyper-analytical detail?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That would be Gav.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Who wrote Vulkan Lives?

Also look at this glaring typo in the Black Library auto-email

quote:

Thanks for placing an order with Black Library. Our stock-servitors are working to process it now, and we’ll let you know when they’ve finished and it’s ready to be downloaded or despatched. Here are your order details. Keep them safe in case you need to get in touch:

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
Despatch is a legit spelling, just kinda outdated.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Who wrote Vulkan Lives?

Doesn't Nick Kyme have exclusivity when it comes to Salamander stories?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Immanentized posted:

Doesn't Nick Kyme have exclusivity when it comes to Salamander stories?

It was Nick Kyme.

I couldn't finish that book it was so dreadful. Gav Thorpe can't be worse. I've been able to finish every HH book I've purchased except Vulkan Lives.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Maybe it's like the Graham McNeil phenomenon where most of the stuff he writes is unimpressive, except for when he writes Mechanicum stuff and then hot drat it's the best stuff anyone's written about Mechanicum stuff, by far.

Where when they hit just the right part of the setting that they're good at, and produce something really good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I just ordered the special edition of Lorgar: Bearer of the Word for $65.

How dumb am I?

Friend that seems 57$ dumb

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Just got the Perturabo limited edition too :shepspends:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Quick new lore question. With the new huge warp storm, can the imperials on the far side not see the astronomicon? I thought you just couldn't travel through the storm, but no warp travel for half the emperium is a pretty big deal if so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cadian gate still exists in the form of a passage called the Gauntlet which connects both sides of the imperium through the warp storm.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

Quick new lore question. With the new huge warp storm, can the imperials on the far side not see the astronomicon? I thought you just couldn't travel through the storm, but no warp travel for half the emperium is a pretty big deal if so.

I think it's either that, or the astronomicon is very dim.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Just got the Perturabo limited edition too :shepspends:

Give me money and I will write you some bespoke fanfiction about your favorite primarch.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Give me money and I will write you some bespoke fanfiction about your favorite primarch.

Only if it includes Anal plugs

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Only if it includes Anal plugs

$0.09 per word. $0.11 if I have to put repeat instances of "wet leopard growl".

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

VanSandman posted:

Magnus, and make it a Mashup with sailor moon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Moose-Alini posted:

Yeah the fluff mentions that the light of the astronomican can't be seen on the other side of the Great Rift. So yes, that side is kinda hosed right now.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The cadian gate still exists in the form of a passage called the Gauntlet which connects both sides of the imperium through the warp storm.

The fluff mentions that there are temporary rifts appearing intermittently but the Nachmund Gauntlet is the main way through. It's also held by a Tyrant King (Kaligius :rolleyes:) which makes going through a lot harder for the loyalists. So it's kinda an inverse Cadian Gate pretty much. Which is both hilarious and dumb at the same time.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is there a schedule for the primarch books to follow?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah the fluff mentions that the light of the astronomican can't be seen on the other side of the Great Rift. So yes, that side is kinda hosed right now.

The fluff mentions that there are temporary rifts appearing intermittently but the Nachmund Gauntlet is the main way through. It's also held by a Tyrant King (Kaligius :rolleyes:) which makes going through a lot harder for the loyalists. So it's kinda an inverse Cadian Gate pretty much. Which is both hilarious and dumb at the same time.

What's a tyrant king, besides both a tyrant and a king?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Syncopated posted:

I like to think that they are mainly victims of having a bad public relations department. Tyrant Kings are probably better leaders on the whole than your average planetary governor, just by virtue of having the skills and personality to be able to win a planet or system by merit (and maybe the odd warp power here or there) rather than inheritance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Syncopated posted:

From looking it up, the leader of a Chaos Knight House.

It should be noted that Warp Travel can still be done with out the Astronomicon. It's just way way more dangerous. And there is a device that can be used for Navigation and don't need the Astronomicon. (Which is why the Navigators had them outlawed. )

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 22, 2017

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Rather than going directly from A to B, it becomes multiple hops too as they figure out where they are. It's like switching from GPS to navigating by stars and compass and then making course corrections.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
You mean warp travel is like navigating with stars and compass, but warp travel without Astronomican is like navigating with stars and compass, except when you're moving there are no loving stars or compass.

:suicide:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
And the ocean is actively trying to make you capsize.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shockeh posted:

And the ocean is actively trying to make you capsize.

Gnawing hungrily at the protective gheller(?) shell around the ship like it's a Tootsie Pop ready to crack so it can get at the sweet sweet center that is the crew's souls.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
What with a lot of planets relying on water and food imports, lack of reliable warp travel seems like a pretty devastating problem.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Moose-Alini posted:

What with a lot of planets relying on water and food imports, lack of reliable warp travel seems like a pretty devastating problem.

Also the fact that due to warp fucker the Noctis Aeterna lasted centuries or millenia for some of the planets that were cut off.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Moose-Alini posted:

True, but I imagine that most densely-populated planets are supplied by a nearby agri-world, in the same system or not that far away. Or else, any warp storm or delay would cause entire hive worlds to eat themselves.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sephyr posted:

Or else, any warp storm or delay would cause entire hive worlds to eat themselves.
This is not an implausible outcome to me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm three books deep into the Gaunt series and working on my fourth, and... does Abnett ever understand bolt weapons? It seems like he's treating them like .22 rounds now.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PantsOptional posted:

I'm three books deep into the Gaunt series and working on my fourth, and... does Abnett ever understand bolt weapons? It seems like he's treating them like .22 rounds now.

Comissariat bolt pistols are smaller versions of the bolters carried by astartes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Alternative pants posted:

Comissariat bolt pistols are smaller versions of the bolters carried by astartes.

Yeah, but they're still explosive gyrojet rounds. It seems like they're always pinging off of people's helmets or leaving flesh wounds or something when they should be so much nastier. (Spoilers for Necropolis: hell, one them gets blocked by a luckily placed piece of jewelry. )

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Not all bolt rounds are the same. Could just be firing standard rounds.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also they don't explode until they're inside the target, so if they get deflected by something dense and deformable like a big chunk of gold they won't detonate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Sephyr posted:

True, but I imagine that most densely-populated planets are supplied by a nearby agri-world, in the same system or not that far away. Or else, any warp storm or delay would cause entire hive worlds to eat themselves.

It's called grimdark.